Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,800 members, 7,810,080 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:16 PM

Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments (20641 Views)

Building A 4 Flats Of 3 Bedroom House At Emene Enugu. Costs And Pictures. / Building A Fence On A Plot Of Land In Rural Enugu State: Costs And Challenges / What Are The Types Of Roofing Materials, Costs And Scenario Recommendations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 11:49am On Jan 05, 2016
[b]Greetings Nairalanders,

A popular saying goes thus,...He who fails to plan plans to fail.
Are you or your company planning to embark on a construction project? If you do not make adequate plans about the proposed cost and expenditure for that project and the best ways to go about starting and completing that project, given the peculiarities of your situation, you have already programmed that project to fail before it even started.

AVOID FAILED PROJECTS!

MAKE A WISE DECISION TODAY!

TALK TO A QUANTITY SURVEYOR TODAY FOR PROFESSIONAL ADVICE ABOUT CONSTRUCTION COSTS AND PROJECT MANAGEMENT OF YOUR PROJECTS!
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 2:00pm On Jan 05, 2016
[b][b]Greetings Nairalanders, hope you're having a lovely day.

Here's the 2nd topic that I'm bringing up for enlightenment and discussion on this thread. [Previously on this thread, I promised to explain in detail the services Quantity Surveyors can provide to clients and contractors. Due to their large number, I shall be bringing them up in batches as the days go by.

SERVICES PROVIDED BY QUANTITY SURVEYORS

1) Project Feasibility Studies

The Quantity Surveyor gives professional advice to the client on how viable the project concept would be based on nature, location, expected return on investment, etc of the project. It is important to determine how feasible and viable a project is, especially if it is meant for investment purposes; if this is not done, the client may commence and complete the project and at the end, may not make adequate return on investment or even break-even.

2) Preliminary Cost Advice

The Quantity Surveyor prepares preliminary budget estimate based on available cost data of past projects and/or sketch plans provided by the architect to inform the client ahead of time of the likely financial commitment required to undertake the proposed project from inception to completion, so as to enable the client determine if he has available resources to complete the proposed project.

This helps the client determine the budget to complete the project and thereafter decide whether he can go on with the project based on the design/scope he has in mind or if otherwise, the scope of the project should be reduced, reviewed and revised.
[/b]

NEXT UP....Cost planning/Design-Cost Control; Choices of Procurement system....

Please STAY TUNED TO/FOLLOW/BOOKMARK THIS THREAD!
[/b][b][/b]
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by BuddhaPalm(m): 2:21pm On Jan 05, 2016
My brother, please kindly change your formatting.

Blue and Bold both strain the eye.

1 Like

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by homesteady(m): 3:21pm On Jan 05, 2016
Well done OP!

My Father is a/an FNIQS and I can barely explain what quantity surveyors do grin I'm learning much here.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 4:51pm On Jan 05, 2016
BuddhaPalm:
My brother, please kindly change your formatting.

Blue and Bold both strain the eye.

Okay, I'll do that going forward.

Thanks.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 4:53pm On Jan 05, 2016
homesteady:
Well done OP!

My Father is a/an FNIQS and I can hardly explain what quantity surveyors do grin I'm learning much here.

That's quite funny and interesting!!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by homesteady(m): 5:11pm On Jan 05, 2016
olumide4christ:

That's quite funny and interesting!!

I meant barely there.

I have a question - Between the Architect, Engineer and Quantity surveyor, which of them have the most stressful work?
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 5:12pm On Jan 05, 2016
Greetings Nairalanders,

Please feel free to ask your burning questions on various project cost issues. We are very much available to answer them and proffer solutions that will give you the best results. Wishing God's speed as you commence and complete your projects this year.

Regards.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by jossypet(m): 8:28pm On Jan 05, 2016
Good job professional colleage. I'm impressed with the way u're educating nairalanders n others about the profession. Well done.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by Omonomose1: 8:59pm On Jan 05, 2016
Kudos olumide4christ, please can you give me an estimated cost of laying a foundation of a storey building ( 4 nos of 2 bedroom flat each, 2 flat up and 2 down
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 10:14pm On Jan 05, 2016
homesteady:

I meant barely there.

I have a question - Between the Architect, Engineer and Quantity surveyor, which of them have the most stressful work?

[b]Hmmmn, very interesting and controversial question... Let me see how best to answer you.

Well, generally, the work of all consultants are stressful, none is less stressful than the other. The architect and engineer spend days, weeks or even months (depending on the magnitude of the project) designing, reviewing and redesigning the buildings architecturally and structurally. The quantity surveyor also spends days or weeks computing bills of quantities and contract documents. All these activities are mentally and physically challenging.
However, if we consider the entire duration of the project, the Architect and Quantity Surveyor spend more time on the project i.e. they stay on the project till the end while the structural engineer's work ends when the all structural elements (carcass) of the building and external works are completed. The only engineer that remains till the end of the project is the Mechanical & Electrical engineer due to the need for monitoring of the plumbing and electrical installations. Infact, after the carcass is completed, the finishing stage commences and here, the Architect is required to be more frequent on site in order to ensure that specifications are adhered to.
The Quantity surveyor stays back at the end of the project to reconcile final accounts with the contractor.
Therefore, the work of all consultants are stressful, just that at different stages of the project, some are more involved than other.

I hope I have been able to answer your question. [/b]
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 10:16pm On Jan 05, 2016
jossypet:
Good job professional colleage. I'm impressed with the way u're educating nairalanders n others about the profession. Well done.

Thanks bros, its about time we did something about the profession. Hope you're doing well.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 1:53am On Jan 06, 2016
Omonomose1:
Kudos olumide4christ, please can you give me an estimated cost of laying a foundation of a storey building ( 4 nos of 2 bedroom flat each, 2 flat up and 2 down

@Omonomose, Thanks for your enquiry.

I have answered a similar question like this asked earlier in this thread.

It all depends on your design, location, topography of your site and a host of other factors; all these factors can increase or decrease the cost of your project and information about them will also help the QS to make accurate estimates.

I'm sorry I can't give you even an estimated figure now because I don't even have your dimensioned drawings or even a floor plan. Only with that, alongside some other required specifications can we determine what it will cost to complete your foundation. Its done scientifically and not arbitrarily. So, your drawing (floor plan at least) is required.

I have planned soon to discuss a topic on this thread on "Factors that determine accuracy or otherwise of estimates of building projects" - which would major on the issue mentioned above and others.

Regards.

1 Like

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by irumanle(m): 3:40am On Jan 06, 2016
Good job @op for this educative thread. I'm a level two student in ABU Zaria, QS dpt. It's my pleasure meeting you here sir.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 12:18pm On Jan 06, 2016
irumanle:
Good job @op for this educative thread. I'm a level two student in ABU Zaria, QS dpt. It's my pleasure meeting you here sir.

Nice to meet you, too!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 12:56pm On Jan 06, 2016

SERVICES PROVIDED BY QUANTITY SURVEYORS (CONTINUED)

3) Cost Planning and Design/Cost Control

The Quantity Surveyor utilizes data obtained from budget estimates and gives advice to the architect during the design stage, such that the projected cost of the architect's final design would be within the client’s proposed budget. This service is necessary because it is common for architects to make so many inputs into a design such that the cost of the project if it is to be built, would far exceed the client's budget.
Since we know that every client has a budget, it is essential to advise the architect on the client's behalf on the magnitude of the design of various constituents of the project and cost-saving alternatives that can be designed, such that the cost of the final design would be within the client's budget.

4) Advice on choice of procurement system/method

Procurement system is the procedure or processes which a client decides to deploy or use in carrying out the construction of the project. The Quantity Surveyor gives the client professional advice on which procurement system best suits the proposed project vis-à-vis the peculiarities of the project which could include client's budget, scope of the project, time frame of the project, etc.
Examples of procurement systems are traditional, design and build, direct labour, labour-only contract, turnkey, etc.
The peculiarities of the project, as mentioned above, go a long way in determining which procurement system best suits a particular project and the Quantity Surveyor, based on experience and training, is best positioned to advise the client on the best option.

NEXT UP....Preparation of Bills of Quantities & Material Schedules ;Preparation of Contract Documentation ....

Please STAY TUNED TO/FOLLOW/BOOKMARK THIS THREAD![/b]

1 Like

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 1:12pm On Jan 06, 2016
Your questions on anything mentioned above or your personal project issues are welcome. Remember, it pays to make use of Quantity Surveyors on your projects.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 3:48pm On Jan 06, 2016
Dear Nairalanders,

It is has been said among some colleagues that, "Jesus Christ was the 1st Quantity Surveyor". You may ask how do we mean?

In the bible, in Luke 14:28-30 (King James Version), Jesus said, "For which of you intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? Lest haply, after he had laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him, Saying, this man began to build, and was not able to finish."

Thus, tap into the wisdom of Jesus; count the cost of your project before you start!!

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 11:00pm On Jan 06, 2016
"Avoid wastage; Avoid being shortchanged; Obtain optimum value for money; involve professional Quantity Surveyors on your projects today!!"
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 11:33am On Jan 07, 2016

5) Preparation of Bills of Quantities & Material Schedules

This is about the most common service generally known to be provided by the Quantity Surveyor. Bill of Quantities is a document prepared with the aid of drawings which comprises quantities of work items and their unit rates, which give the actual cost of the proposed project and can also be used for tendering and bidding purposes. Aside from informing and guiding the client about the project’s cost, it is also used when the client is planning to engage a contractor in the construction of his/her project. It should be noted that this document can be prepared for both building and civil engineering (roads, bridges, railway lines, dams, etc) projects.

On the other hand, Material Schedule is a document which comprises quantities of constituent materials and their current market prices, required to be purchased for use in the construction of a project. It is commonly used where the client purposes to use direct labour and/or labour-only form of procurement for the construction of his/her project and so therefore, plans to source for materials personally. Sometimes, on special demand by the client, in addition, a labour-only schedule can also be prepared and incorporated. The labour only schedule lists the items of work in a project that have a labour content and applies a current labour charge to each of them, so as to inform the client on the probable costs he will incur in engaging labour to carry out the individual items of work in the prroject. It should however, be noted that the material prices and labour charges/rates listed in these schedules differ from one location to another.

It should be noted that any project which commences without a bill of quantities and/or material schedule is bound to have issues at one time or the other since there is no basis for which the project can be managed. The client would just be putting money into the project without knowing how much still needs to be done until the time when funds would run out. Its just like walking through the Sahara desert without a map or a compass. That's the reason why abandoned projects abound all around the place.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 2:46pm On Jan 07, 2016
[b]SERVICES PROVIDED BY QUANTITY SURVEYORS (CONTINUED)

6) Preparation of Contract Documentation

Contract documentation involves among others – letter of award, articles of agreement, conditions of contract, form of tender, etc. These are legal documents and the Quantity Surveyor, by virtue of his in-depth training in contract law, is equipped to prepare these documents in such a way that the client’s interest is taken care of and the contractor is also not short-changed. We have some instances on this forum whereby clients and contractors have had squabbles over disparities between what was expected by both parties at the beginning of the projects and what was eventually done. Good contract documentation, attested to and signed by both parties (client and contractor), is what would have saved many a client and contractor from the disappointments they experienced or are currently experiencing. All parties would be well aware of their rights and obligations under the contract and also know the penalties for defaulting in any of their obligations under the contract. This is what is done in the corporate world and amongst knowledgeable individuals to protect their interests. That’s the reason why clients can give contractors up to 50% or more advance payment running into tens or hundreds of millions of naira and be rest assured that their funds are safe and secured, all because of good contract documentation. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 5:02pm On Jan 07, 2016
[b]SERVICES PROVIDED BY QUANTITY SURVEYORS (CONTINUED)

7) Tender/Bid Analysis and Reporting

The Quantity Surveyor is trained to, on behalf of a client, thoroughly analyze tenders (quotations or priced bills of quantities) submitted by prospective contractors for the purpose of awarding the construction of a project to a successful contractor and submit a report on this analysis to the client. This is usually done when the traditional method of procurement is being used to carry out the project construction, which involves inviting one or more contractors to tender/quote for a proposed project using a prepared bill of quantities and choosing a successful contractor based on some parameters.

cool Bid Preparation (Estimating, Pricing of Tender Bills of Quantities)

The Quantity Surveyor primarily provides this service for contractors. This involves building up of all-in unit rates based on current prices of materials, plant/equipment hire rates, labour rates and thereafter, inserting such rates in blank bills of quantities previously given to a contractor by a client or his representative, for the purpose of submitting tender/quotations for a proposed project, within a specific period of time.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 5:29pm On Jan 07, 2016
Your comments and questions are welcome!!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by Vires: 9:34pm On Jan 07, 2016
homesteady:

I meant barely there.

In my own opinion Civil Engr (mind you I'm a qs)
@Olumide, good job, you should be a lecturer
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 11:13pm On Jan 07, 2016
Vires:

In my own opinion Civil Engr (mind you I'm a qs)
@Olumide, good job, you should be a lecturer

Well, thank God, just doing what I love to do. Lecturer Don't know about that; maybe you're a prophet. I'll take note of it, who knows tomorrow, except God!!

Remain blessed!!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 9:25pm On Jan 09, 2016
Hi Nairalanders,

A controversial question - Who should be the 1st consultant you should talk to when you want to embark on a project - Architect, Quantity Surveyor, Engineer?? WHAT DO YOU THINK??

The Quantity Surveyor should be the 1st consultant you should speak to 1st as he/she will guide you in coming up with a budget which will in turn be used to guide your architect in coming up with a design which will be within the limits of your budget. We call this "design-to-cost" method of cost planning which is best practice.

Engaging a Quantity Surveyor on your project is and can never be a bad decision.

BE WISE!!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 4:45pm On Jan 10, 2016
[b]Greetings Nairalanders, hope you're having a nice weekend!

9) Tender Negotiations

The Quantity Surveyor has the requisite numerical and bargaining skills to successfully negotiate contracts, prior to contract award, with clients or contractors during tender negotiation meetings, depending on who they are representing. In tender negotiations, Quantity Surveyors can provide services in two (2) major forms:
 To represent the interest of a client, in which case they may function as an independent consultant or in-house quantity surveyor in the client’s company. Here, the Quantity Surveyor is in an authoritative position and employs various measures to obtain the best bargain from the contractor.
 To represent the interest of the contractor, in which case they may function as an independent consultant to the contractor or in-house quantity surveyor in the contractor’s company. The Quantity Surveyor’s aim here is to provide a more competitive bid over and above other contractors, such that will win the contract for the contractor, obtain a good bargain from the client that will result in optimum profit for the contractor, in the long run.[/b]
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 5:19pm On Jan 10, 2016

10) Cash flow forecasting

This involves determining how much finance would be needed to be injected into the project at every stage, in order to ensure smooth progress of work and completion of the project on schedule. It aids efficient planning of the project, from both the client and contractor’s perspectives. The Quantity Surveyor is trained to do provide this service for clients and contractors alike.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 5:49pm On Jan 10, 2016
Are you planning to put up a building project and you want to know more about the costs? The Quantity Surveyor is the best person to make enquiries from.

Please feel free to ask a Quantity Surveyor here your burning questions. We are very much available to answer them and guide you on how best to go about it.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 9:24pm On Jan 10, 2016

11) Project Milestone Breakdown/Analysis

This is not a traditional service provided by the Quantity Surveyor. However, based on my personal experience, it has evolved in recent time based on certain needs from contractors. Some contractors, having been awarded a contract covered by a priced bill of quantities, would be required by the client (individual or corporate organization) to break down the contract sum into stages called milestones, not arbitrarily, but systematically in such a way that different aspects of the work scope would be running concurrently, and no aspect of the work is more or less attended to than others. It is usually required where Milestone or Stage payments is the system being used for project funding and valuation as against the Periodic Valuation system.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 12:03pm On Jan 11, 2016
Are you planning to embark on a construction project this year?

Don't start that project without the Quantity Surveyor guiding you concerning the costs and your budget.... it pays in the long run!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 4:36pm On Jan 11, 2016
Greetings Nairalanders,

Please feel free to ask your burning questions on various project cost issues. We are very much available to answer them and proffer solutions that will give you the best results. Wishing God's speed as you commence and complete your projects this year.

Regards.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Shopping Complex Collapses In Itoku, Abeokuta (Photos) / How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House / House Prices To Fall By 30% In Nigeria

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.