Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,551 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:08 AM

Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments (20628 Views)

Building A 4 Flats Of 3 Bedroom House At Emene Enugu. Costs And Pictures. / Building A Fence On A Plot Of Land In Rural Enugu State: Costs And Challenges / What Are The Types Of Roofing Materials, Costs And Scenario Recommendations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 9:32pm On Jan 22, 2016
[b]SERVICES PROVIDED BY QUANTITY SURVEYORS (CONTINUED)

22) Life Cycle Costing

This involves estimating the whole-life cost of a building at the inception or conception stage. The whole-life or life cycle cost of a building comprises the construction costs of the building, the projected costs of repairs and maintenance to be carried out on the building throughout its lifespan and the final disposal cost at the end of the building’s lifespan.

The Quantity Surveyor may in some cases be required by a client to determine and compare these costs for two or more building types with varying specifications, such that the client can make a decision as to which building option would have a cheaper life cycle cost. This is because two or more buildings may have different life cycle costs due to their varying specifications i.e. their construction costs may vary, so also their projected costs of maintenance and repairs may also vary, thus leading to one building being cheaper not necessarily in terms of initial construction costs, but in terms of repair and maintenance costs.

The Quantity Surveyor is trained to handle this service for clients as required.
[/b]
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by brabus(m): 11:53pm On Jan 22, 2016
olumide4christ:
[b]Greetings Nairalanders,

Here is the next part of my current topic - QUANTITY SURVEYORS - 5Ws:

WHAT DOES A QUANTITY SURVEYOR DO?

A Quantity Surveyor provides a wide range of services within the construction industry, but I’ll enumerate some of them here, stating those who need them and expansiate on them later in subsequent discussion topics. These services are, but not limited to the following:

 Project feasibility and viability studies - Project client

 Preliminary cost advice (budget estimate) – Project client

 Cost Planning and Design/Cost Control – Project client, Architect

 Advice on choice of procurement system/method – Project client

 Preparation of Bills of Quantities & Material Schedules – Project client, Contractor, Architect, Engineer, Loan services provider (Commercial & Mortgage Banks)

 Preparation of Contract Documentation – Project client

 Tender/Bid Analysis and Reporting - Project client

 Tender Negotiation - Project client, Contractor

 Bid Preparation (Estimating, Pricing of Tender Bills of Quantities) – Contractor

 Cash flow forecasting - Project client, Contractor

 Project Milestone Breakdown/Analysis – Contractor

 Preparation of Work Programme (Scheduling and Planning) - Project client, Contractor[/b]

Brabus wuz here. It's nice talking to you in phone. I'd already locked up Tuesday to receive you in our office.

Good job, pro!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 4:08am On Jan 23, 2016
brabus:

Brabus wuz here. It's nice talking to you in phone. I'd already locked up Tuesday to receive you in our office.

Good job, pro!

Thanks for looking through my thread. It was nice talking with you today. Have a blessed weekend!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by Olasuposaheed(m): 6:33am On Jan 23, 2016
Pls like how many blocks will complete two bedroom flat, rooms 12 by 10; sitting room 12 by 14 (if possible); others, normal measurement: land measurement 88 by 62; thanks
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 10:05am On Jan 23, 2016
[b]Greetings Nairalanders,

This is the concluding part of the current topic. I thank all those who have followed closely and I hope you have been enlightened and not confused.

WATCH OUT FOR MORE INTERESTING TOPICS ON THIS THREAD!!

SERVICES PROVIDED BY QUANTITY SURVEYORS - CONCLUDING PART

23) Property condition appraisals

The Quantity Surveyor’s technical knowledge enables him/her to effectively inspect, scrutinize and technically appraise the condition of an existing building structure (intact or dilapidated) or abandoned project, in order to deduce the structure’s current status and possible remedies (cost-wise and technical-wise) to be implemented, if feasible, on the building structure. Note the caveat – ‘if feasible’- some buildings especially the very old ones might be adjudged to be structurally unstable or not cost-effective to be repaired after the appraisal and hence have to be demolished.

The Quantity Surveyor usually generates some documents after such appraisals such as schedule of defects, schedule of dilapidations and technical reports, which will inform the client/building owner on the status of the property and the resources required to restore it back to good operating condition and thus, aid the client’s decision-making.

[/b]
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 10:08am On Jan 23, 2016
SERVICES PROVIDED BY QUANTITY SURVEYORS - CONCLUDING PART

24) Arbitration

This is an alternative form of dispute resolution in the construction industry. It involves a Quantity Surveyor mediating in disputes between two or more parties to a contract by virtue of the Quantity Surveyor’s good knowledge of contract law, conditions of contract. The Quantity Surveyor can also play the role of expert witness in Arbitration and/or Litigation cases involving disputes between parties to a contract.

This service is provided mostly by some Quantity Surveyors who have developed special interest in this branch of the profession and have even gone ahead to obtain professional qualifications in Arbitration, which exist in Nigeria today.

REMAIN BLESSED!!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 12:54pm On Jan 23, 2016
"Avoid wastage; Avoid being shortchanged; Obtain optimum value for money; involve professional Quantity Surveyors on your projects today!!"
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 4:30pm On Jan 24, 2016
Are you planning to embark on a construction project this year?

Do ensure you engage professionals (Architect, Quantity Surveyor, Engineer) on your project; it pays in the long run! Avoid stories that touch!!

Don't start that project without the Quantity Surveyor guiding you concerning the costs and your budget.... it pays in the long run!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 4:55pm On Jan 24, 2016
Dear Nairalanders,

It is has been said among some colleagues that, "Jesus Christ was the 1st Quantity Surveyor". You may ask how do we mean?

In the bible, in Luke 14:28-30 (King James Version), Jesus said, "For which of you intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? Lest haply, after he had laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him, Saying, this man began to build, and was not able to finish."

Thus, tap into the wisdom of Jesus; count the cost of your project before you start!!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 6:35pm On Jan 24, 2016
Greetings Nairalanders,

Please feel free to ask your burning questions on various project cost issues. We are very much available to answer them and proffer solutions that will give you the best results. Wishing God's speed as you commence and complete your projects this year.

Regards.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by brabus(m): 7:13pm On Jan 24, 2016
Can you shed light on variations and change orders in construction? How do you cater for it?
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 9:00pm On Jan 24, 2016
brabus:
Can you shed light on variations and change orders in construction? How do you cater for it?

[b]Well, let me put the answer in a couple of steps:

1. You need to determine the source of the variation(s) or change orders - is it the client requesting a change or the consultant architect or the variation is arising as a result of an error from the contractor/builder or is the variation arising from an omission/under-measurement of one or some items in the Bills of Quantities/Quotations?
The answer to the above would determine which of the parties to the contract bears the liability for the costs of those variations.

2. The variation is measured or quantified and the subsisting rates in the contract documents are applied to arrive at the cost of the variations. However, if the variations involves new items that have no rate in the Bills of quantities, an adequate rate for such items will have to be calculated in agreement between the Quantity Surveyor and the builder.

3. As discussed in (1) above, if the client has the liability to pay for the variations i.e. the variations were initiated by him/her, the cost of the variations can be paid by the client at the next valuation or milestone payment, depending on what system of contract is being used for the project. If the liability falls on the contractor, he would have to bear the costs of the variations or the client might decide to absolve the contractor of such liability. If the variations arise as a result of omission of some items from the Bills of Quantities, the issue would need to be resolved between the client and the consultant.

ALSO note that VARIATIONS are different from FLUCTUATIONS which are basically changes in prices of materials over a period of time during the course of a project. FLUCTUATIONS are treated in a different way, depending on the terms of the existing contract.

To cater for variations from the inception of the project, a sum referred to as CONTINGENCY SUM is usually inserted by Quantity Surveyors in the bills of quantities to cater for any variations that may arise during the project; however, sometimes, the variations go over and above the allowed CONTINGENCY SUM, as is currently happening in a project I'm working on presently.

Hope my explanation helps. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 9:38pm On Jan 24, 2016
Are you planning to put up a building project and you want to know more about the costs? The Quantity Surveyor is the best person to make enquiries from.

Please feel free to ask a Quantity Surveyor here your burning questions. We are very much available to answer them and guide you on how best to go about it.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by Olasuposaheed(m): 9:41pm On Jan 24, 2016
Like how much can I pay the man that want to help me dig 2bedroom flat foundation
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 2:07am On Jan 25, 2016
Olasuposaheed:
Like how much can I pay the man that want to help me dig 2bedroom flat foundation

Sir, it all depends on the size of your building and your floor plan.... you can have a 2 bedroom flat with foot print/gross floor area of 150m2 and another of 200m2. The larger the size of the building, the more the digger will charge you.

Also, location matters as the cost of labor varies from one location to another. However to answer your question, let me say N40,000 should do for digging in some particular locations, it could be lower or higher in some other locations.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by femiisaac23: 6:48pm On Jan 27, 2016
URGENT PLS... hi guys. my name is femi I'm currently based and work in ph. I just joined nairaland. I in tend building my house soon. I want to know how much it ll cost me to build a family of 7 bedroom duplex, all with bathroom/ toilet n another extra for visitors. 2 sitting room. A swimming pool, 1 laundry room, standard modern kitchen, extra room for cinema, spacious compound. pls kindly get me the estimate to achieve this. If any questions pls ask. tanks.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 12:21am On Jan 28, 2016
femiisaac23:
URGENT PLS... hi guys. my name is femi I'm currently based and work in ph. I just joined nairaland. I in tend building my house soon. I want to know how much it ll cost me to build a family of 7 bedroom duplex, all with bathroom/ toilet n another extra for visitors. 2 sitting room. A swimming pool, 1 laundry room, standard modern kitchen, extra room for cinema, spacious compound. pls kindly get me the estimate to achieve this. If any questions pls ask. tanks.

Sir, thanks for your enquiry. BUT FIRSTLY, You need to engage an architect to put your desires stated above into drawings, which we would use to prepare accurate estimates/bills of quantities for your proposed project.

We can't give you an estimate just based on the components you mentioned above. Preparation of estimates is scientific and requires the use of data which includes your drawings.

You could still call for more information and/or help.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 1:39am On Jan 28, 2016
"Avoid wastage; Avoid being shortchanged; Obtain optimum value for money; involve professional Quantity Surveyors on your projects today!!"

1 Like

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 5:01pm On Jan 28, 2016
Greetings Nairalanders!

What is a FAILED PROJECT?

A project that is abandoned due to lack of funds to complete it;

A project that is completed at a much higher cost than originally planned;

A project that is completed within a much longer period of time than originally planned;

A project that when completed, fails to meet the owner's expectations in terms of quality.

DOES ANY OF THE ABOVE DESCRIBE THE CURRENT STATUS OF YOUR PROJECT??

AVOID FAILED PROJECTS! TALK TO PROFESSIONAL QUANTITY SURVEYORS TODAY!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 10:53pm On Jan 28, 2016
Nairalanders,

Please feel free to ask your burning questions on various issues concerning the costs of your projects. We are very much available to answer them and proffer solutions that will give you the best results. Wishing God's speed as you commence and complete your projects this year.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by butterflex: 11:49pm On Jan 28, 2016
Please send me your contsct. I got a project of a duplex and attached blocks of flats (up and down) and a pent hoouse. how much u go take to make me BILL OF QUANTITY/ COST ANALYSIS.

My EMAIL- goodness.obayangbon@outlook.com / whatsapp +447511864771
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 3:38pm On Jan 29, 2016
butterflex:
Please send me your contsct. I got a project of a duplex and attached blocks of flats (up and down) and a pent hoouse. how much u go take to make me BILL OF QUANTITY/ COST ANALYSIS.

My EMAIL- goodness.obayangbon@outlook.com / whatsapp +447511864771

Mail sent. However, I have tried adding you on whatsapp but to no avail.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 4:11pm On Jan 29, 2016
Greetings Nairalanders,

A popular saying goes thus,...He who fails to plan plans to fail.
Are you or your company planning to embark on a construction project? If you do not make adequate plans about the proposed cost and expenditure for that project and the best ways to go about starting and completing that project, given the peculiarities of your situation, you have already programmed that project to fail before it even started.

AVOID FAILED PROJECTS!

MAKE A WISE DECISION TODAY!

TALK TO A QUANTITY SURVEYOR TODAY FOR PROFESSIONAL ADVICE ABOUT CONSTRUCTION COSTS AND PROJECT MANAGEMENT OF YOUR PROJECTS!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 10:15pm On Jan 30, 2016
Are you planning to embark on a construction project this year?

Do ensure you engage professionals (Architect, Quantity Surveyor, Engineer) on your project; it pays in the long run!

Don't start that project without the Quantity Surveyor guiding you concerning the costs and your budget.... it pays in the long run!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 5:24pm On Feb 19, 2016
Greetings Nairalanders.

Its been quite a while. I have been off the thread for a while now due to the pressure of work and business since the beginning of this month. I apologise for that.
I'm back now and with a new topic...titled " BEWARE! THESE LANDS CAN INCREASE YOUR CONSTRUCTION COSTS ASTRONOMICALLY!"
I shall commence the topic by tonight or tomorrow latest. Keep on following this thread!
You're welcome!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 9:21pm On Feb 20, 2016
[b]BEWARE!! – BUYING THESE LANDS MAY INCREASE YOUR CONSTRUCTION COST ASTRONOMICALLY!

I have decided to bring up this topic due to the various experiences that have been encountered over the years about how some unsuitable lands have unexpectedly resulted in enormous increase in construction costs for various people (individual and corporate), and even led to the point of abandonment or delayed completion of their projects.

Land may not be seen by many as part of basic construction costs, but it is one of the major resources required for any construction project to take place. For those building for private use and more importantly, investment purposes, the kind of land they purchase would in the long run affect their overall investment in such projects because land, in so many ways, affect overall construction costs.

It has become increasingly important for prospective buyers of land not to hurriedly pay money for lands because they are cheap, but to ensure they do some due diligence to determine how economical it would be to build on such land. A lot of times, prospective buyers are only interested in the legal aspects of the land and not necessarily the physical characteristics of the land.

Some people have said that if they see a plot of land which looks good on the surface, taking out time to carry out this due diligence might make them lose the land to another buyer, but let me say here that “it is better to be sure about a thing than to be sorry about it later.”

In a bid to forestall this recurring event for prospective building owners and as a seasoned construction cost professional, I have decided to discuss this topic while expecting contributions from Nairalanders who have had similar experiences, such that we can all learn and make wiser investment decisions in future. I will give some real life examples/experiences where I can in order to drive home the point.
I will categorize these lands in terms of location, physical nature, topography, etc.

I shall be making more posts soonest on this topic.
[/b]
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by loveson(m): 10:41am On Feb 23, 2016
Good day sir, Please how much would it cost me to build a 4 bed room all en-suite duplex on a 300 sqm land. stage by stage from foundation (raft) to roofing
sule252003@yahoo.com

Thanks
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 3:30pm On Feb 23, 2016
loveson:
Good day sir, Please how much would it cost me to build a 4 bed room all en-suite duplex on a 300 sqm land. stage by stage from foundation (raft) to roofing
sule252003@yahoo.com

Thanks

Greetings sir, Thanks for your enquiries. We have discussed on phone. Expecting the details soonest.

Regards.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 3:54pm On Feb 23, 2016
BEWARE!! – BUYING THESE LANDS MAY INCREASE YOUR CONSTRUCTION COST ASTRONOMICALLY! (PART 2)

WATERLOGGED LAND

This is a kind of land that has a high water table. A common way of identifying such land is observing the surface of the land just after a downpour of rain. If the rainwater remains on the surface many hours or even days after the downpour, then surely that land is waterlogged. Also, a muddy/marshy surface is also a tell-tale sign of water-logged land. This is the reason why some people have said that the rainy season is always the best time to source for and purchase land, as it shows the land in its actual physical state.

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 4:18pm On Feb 23, 2016
[b]WATERLOGGED LAND - THE ISSUES – The pertinent issues that may arise when using waterlogged land for construction and which directly affect construction costs are:

 Increased quantity of filling – In order to make a waterlogged land buildable/usable, it would have to be filled with filling materials (laterite, hardcore, rubbles), compacted and left to consolidate. This activity could be costly depending on the size (length x breadth) of the land and the overall thickness of the filling, determined by the structural engineer.

 Soil stabilization processes – This involves mixing the soil with certain materials required to stabilize the soil where it has been discovered through soil tests that the soil is unstable due to its waterlogged nature and/or presence of unstable materials in the soil. I remember that soil stabilization using cement and sharp sand was done on a branch project for one of the prominent banks at Amuwo Odofin, Lagos sometime between 2010 and 2011 due to the nature of the soil. It should be noted that this soil stabilization process for this project was estimated to cost approximately N11, 000,000 out of about N24,000,000 which was estimated for the foundation works for that branch project.
[/b]

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 4:35pm On Feb 23, 2016
[b]WATERLOGGED LAND - THE ISSUES (CONTINUED)

 Introduction of retaining walls – Where the land level is raised by a large quantity of filling, there will always be a need to construct concrete retaining walls on all sides of the land, so as to retain the filling. This is especially necessary where the new level of the land after filling is higher than the adjoining lands/properties; and the perimeter fence of the plot would be constructed on these retaining walls. It is common knowledge that constructing retaining walls, be it concrete or gravity walls, are expensive. For example, a reinforced concrete retaining wall of dimensions; 300mm thick x 1.00 metre high with a footing/toe beam of 600mm wide would cost about N27,000 per metre. If you take a standard plot of 18 x 36 metres, the perimeter[ (2 x (L+B)] is 108 metres x N25,000 = N2 700,000!! Compare this cost with that of building a complete bungalow, and you would see how waterlogged land can astronomically increase your construction costs.

 The use of complex and more expensive foundations like raft foundations, pile foundations – Waterlogged lands would almost always require more expensive foundations, other than the usual strip and/or combined strip and ; anything short of using more expensive foundations as advised by the engineer, would lead to structural defects in the short or long run. A former neighbour of mine who moved to another rented apartment somewhere around Berger, Lagos told me his story of how he bought a plot of land in that area with the aim of building a bungalow on it; however, after his engineer visited the land to carry out soil tests, it was discovered that the only feasible foundation that could be constructed on the land was a pile foundation which was estimated to cost about N5,000,000, though the man only intended to build a bungalow on the land!!
[/b]

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 5:02pm On Feb 23, 2016
WATERLOGGED LAND - THE ISSUES (CONTINUED)

 Continuous pumping of ground water throughout the foundation works – Due to the high water table of waterlogged lands, constructing foundations on them require constant pumping of ground water from the excavations and sometimes, draining of the land using pipes buried underground. Considering the cost of hiring pumps per day, this could be a major cost for the client depending on the number of days or weeks the foundation works would last for.

In conclusion, it is important for a prospective land buyer to employ the services of an engineer to carry out a soil test on the land in order to ascertain the soil characteristics and hence, make informed decisions on the land purchase and also the foundation design.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

House Plan Affordable / Flood Sacks 110,000 People In Benue State (photos) / 6 Men Killed After Mud House Collapsed On Them, Buried In Sokoto (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.