Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,910 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments (20635 Views)

Building A 4 Flats Of 3 Bedroom House At Emene Enugu. Costs And Pictures. / Building A Fence On A Plot Of Land In Rural Enugu State: Costs And Challenges / What Are The Types Of Roofing Materials, Costs And Scenario Recommendations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 3:18pm On Jan 23, 2017
Hi Nairalanders,

Let's expound more on services provided by Quantity Surveyors, using in some cases real life experiences.
[b][/b]
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 3:56pm On Jan 23, 2017
***Cost Planning and Design/Cost Control***
[/b]
[b]INTRO

Have you ever commissioned an architect to prepare a design/drawing for you and after the drawing was ready and you requested for the cost to complete the proposed structure, the estimated cost was way beyond your budget?? I have seen this happen time and time again with many a client with the attendant frustrations. Why has this become a recurring decimal?? How can clients avoid this waste of time and resources?

THE QUANTITY SURVEYOR TO THE RESCUE....YES WE CAN DO THIS!!

The Quantity Surveyor utilizes data obtained from budget estimates and gives advice to the architect during the design stage, such that the projected cost of the architect's final design would be within the client’s proposed budget. This service is necessary because it is common for architects to make so many inputs into a design such that the cost of the project if it is to be built, would far exceed the client's budget.
Since we know that every client has a budget, it is essential to advise the architect on the client's behalf on the magnitude of the design of various constituents of the project and cost-saving alternatives that can be designed, such that the cost of the final design would be within the client's budget.

Thus, we can save the client a waste of time and effort by effectively engaging with the client's architect during the design stage to ensure that the architect produces a cost-effective design that would fit the client's budget.

STAY TUNED TO THIS THREAD FOR MORE ON HOW QUANTITY SURVEYORS ADD VALUE TO CLIENTS....[b][/b]
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 12:29pm On Feb 15, 2017
***Advice on choice of procurement system/method***

INTRO

Are you presently at the juncture of commencing your project but you are at a loss whether to use direct labour or a contractor or the architect who did the design for the project execution?? Some clients who are novices in construction have asked me about this...the pros and the cons of each method, etc. How does the discerning client know which option is best?

Procurement system is the procedure or processes which a client decides to deploy or use in carrying out the construction of the project. The professional Quantity Surveyor gives the client professional advice on which procurement system best suits the proposed project vis-à-vis the peculiarities of the project which could include client's budget, scope of the project, time frame of the project, etc.
Examples of procurement systems are:
- Traditional (client engaging a contractor to build what other consultants have designed with or without the consultants' supervision)
- Design and build (client engaging the architect who designed to also handle the construction)
- Direct labour (client directly engaging various artisans/workmen to handle various trades in the project with no/limited professional supervision
- Labour-only contract (client engages a contractor to provide, organise and supervise all artisans/workmen required for various aspects of the project)
- Turnkey (client engages a contractor to design, build, furnish, commission and hand-over the project on completion)

The peculiarities of the project, as mentioned above, go a long way in determining which procurement system best suits a particular project and we as Quantity Surveyors, based on experience and training, are best positioned to advise the client on the best option to take that would be most cost-effective.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 12:01pm On Mar 02, 2017
***Preparation of Bills of Quantities & Material Schedules***

INTRO

Numerous times here on Nairaland, people come and ask the question.....HOW MUCH WILL THIS DESIGN THAT I HAVE COST...HOW MUCH WILL THIS MY PROPOSED PROJECT COST Day in, day out, week in, week out, the questions keep coming and different people give their ideas, some factual, others misleading. How does the client know the cost of the project and the resources required to undertake the project given its peculiarities?

The QUANTITY SURVEYOR is the professional trained to prepare estimates, costs for construction projects. Bill of Quantities is a document prepared by a QUANTITY SURVEYOR with the aid of drawings which comprises quantities of work items and their unit rates, which give the actual cost of the proposed project and can also be used for tendering and bidding purposes. Aside from informing and guiding the client about the project’s cost, it is also used when the client is planning to engage a contractor in the construction of his/her project. It will help the client to benchmark whatever costs the contractor is putting forward.

Contractors also engage QUANTITY SURVEYORS to prepare Bill of Quantities for them in cases where their clients engage them to either design and build their projects or submit a cost for a proposed design which the client has obtained. All contractors, in one or more ways, would always have a need to deal with QUANTITY SURVEYORS in the areas of construction costing.

Thus, I encourage you to avail yourself the opportunity to engage QUANTITY SURVEYORS, be you a client or contractor, for accurate determination and management of your project costs.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 12:32pm On Mar 02, 2017
***Preparation of Bills of Quantities & Material Schedules***(CONT'D)

The QUANTITY SURVEYOR also prepares Material Schedules which is a document which comprises quantities of constituent materials and their current market prices, required to be purchased for use in the construction of a project. It is commonly used where the client purposes to use direct labour and/or labour-only form of procurement for the construction of his/her project and so therefore, plans to source for materials personally. Sometimes, on special demand by the client, in addition, a labour-only schedule can also be prepared and incorporated. The labour only schedule lists the items of work in a project that have a labour content and applies a current labour charge to each of them, so as to inform the client on the probable costs he will incur in engaging labour to carry out the individual items of work in the prroject. It should however, be noted that the material prices and labour charges/rates listed in these schedules differ from one location to another.

Contractors also engage QUANTITY SURVEYORS to prepare material schedules and labour-only schedules for them after they have been engaged by a client for a project in order to determine their capital and cost outlay, assist them in project planning which would involve determining quantity of materials and labour (skilled and unskilled),etc.

It should be noted that any project which commences without a bill of quantities and/or material schedule is bound to have issues at one time or the other since there is no basis for which the resources of the project can be managed. The client would just be putting money into the project without knowing how much still needs to be done until the time when funds would run out. Its just like walking through the Sahara desert without a map or a compass. That's the reason why abandoned projects abound all around the place.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by Peachlane: 7:50am On Apr 24, 2017
Please any Quantity Surveyor that needs a full time job should send CV , yemi.adesanya@yahoo.com. He/she must have civil/construction knowledge. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by Delval: 9:28am On Jan 24, 2018
Good day, Kindly assist me with this request. I have a colleague as a quantity surveyor.

I need your advice on how a QS playing a consultant role between project owner and contractors should calculate his consultancy fee and negotiation tactics based on best practices. Should he bill by percentage in relation to the total cost of project? I know time-based billing does not work in Nigeria.

Looking forward to your response.

Many thanks.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by captain90210(m): 8:49am On Jan 30, 2018
There is an approved scale of fees for consultant in the build environment. But most clients hardly pay that amount, it just serves as a basis for negotiating your fees. If professionally you should be paid X, your client might decide to pay X-Y=Z amount t. It's usually a percentage of the total building cost also

Delval:
Good day, Kindly assist me with this request. I have a colleague as a quantity surveyor.

I need your advice on how a QS playing a consultant role between project owner and contractors should calculate his consultancy fee and negotiation tactics based on best practices. Should he bill by percentage in relation to the total cost of project? I know time-based billing does not work in Nigeria.

Looking forward to your response.

Many thanks.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by damesilver(m): 4:41am On Aug 29, 2018
Mr Olumide, thanks for the good work here.

I am a graduate Qs and I'm also a student now. I want to request for your help. I know getting job now is not easy but if I could start as an IT, at least to gain experience in corporate construction, I would appreciate.

olumide4christ:
***Preparation of Bills of Quantities & Material Schedules***(CONT'D)

The QUANTITY SURVEYOR also prepares Material Schedules which is a document which comprises quantities of constituent materials and their current market prices, required to be purchased for use in the construction of a project. It is commonly used where the client purposes to use direct labour and/or labour-only form of procurement for the construction of his/her project and so therefore, plans to source for materials personally. Sometimes, on special demand by the client, in addition, a labour-only schedule can also be prepared and incorporated. The labour only schedule lists the items of work in a project that have a labour content and applies a current labour charge to each of them, so as to inform the client on the probable costs he will incur in engaging labour to carry out the individual items of work in the prroject. It should however, be noted that the material prices and labour charges/rates listed in these schedules differ from one location to another.

Contractors also engage QUANTITY SURVEYORS to prepare material schedules and labour-only schedules for them after they have been engaged by a client for a project in order to determine their capital and cost outlay, assist them in project planning which would involve determining quantity of materials and labour (skilled and unskilled),etc.

It should be noted that any project which commences without a bill of quantities and/or material schedule is bound to have issues at one time or the other since there is no basis for which the resources of the project can be managed. The client would just be putting money into the project without knowing how much still needs to be done until the time when funds would run out. Its just like walking through the Sahara desert without a map or a compass. That's the reason why abandoned projects abound all around the place.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by ooyebola: 2:06pm On Aug 31, 2018
Hi,

What emails or whatsapp phone number can i use to reach you.

Regards
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 4:20am On Mar 23, 2019
ooyebola:
Hi,

What emails or whatsapp phone number can i use to reach you.

Regards

So sorry...my contacts are in my signature below
qpc_projects@yahoo.com ; projects.qpc@gmail.com

Thanks and regards.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 7:07pm On Apr 05, 2019
Hello Nairalanders,

Its been quite a while since I made posts on a number of my threads. Work, major commitments and some other factors really kept me off my regular posts. However, the good news is I am back in full force to give informative posts and answer pertinent questions on construction-related matters from fellow Nairalanders.

Let me remind you all that I have a wealth of experience in the construction industry spanning over 13 years now...a cursory look at my threads and posts here on Nairaland will prove that fact.

Your questions, comments and constructive criticisms are highly welcome. Stay connected!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 11:58am On Apr 06, 2019
Are you a contractor running a small, medium or large scale construction company providing services for individuals, corporate entities or government organizations?

We have tailor-made services which will provide solutions to all your project & cost management needs/problems, far more than you may imagine. As you may well know, minimizing costs and maximizing profits is key to success for any contractor or contracting organization.

You should also know that we have had project experience in different sectors of the construction industry - residential (low cost, high-end luxury), banking (bank branch expansion), religious (church buildings), educational, government buildings, warehouses, health (hospital buildings), etc. Thus, no project is too small or big for us to provide our project & cost management experience.

Improve the performance of your projects today, financially & administratively, by engaging us today. Its a decision that would be truly worth your while.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 6:50pm On Jul 20, 2020
Hello Nairalanders,

I'm happy to say that I am back to Nairaland properties section after a long while off, with a BIG BANG!

Expect more threads by which we will showcase new services we have to offer you and offer more knowledge to you on the world of construction and consultancy. As has been my usual practice, feel free to ask me your questions on anything and everything about construction and properties.

On this thread, I will be focusing more on Construction Cost Management (Quantity Surveying in technical terms) and everything that has to do with Project Development costs. Questions, comments and criticisms are always welcome.

Watch out for this space. Stay blessed and stay safe!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 7:40pm On Jul 20, 2020
BACK WITH A BIG BANG!!

WATCH OUT FOR THIS SPACE!

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by Egwai: 8:14pm On Oct 18, 2021
Good evening Mr Olumide, how can I contact you?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

6 Men Killed After Mud House Collapsed On Them, Buried In Sokoto (Photos) / Cost Of Rent Around Enugu (042) |co-tenant / Shopping Complex Collapses In Itoku, Abeokuta (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.