Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. (2785 Views)

Opinion: Boko Haram And The Defeat That Never Was-cnn / Boko Haram And The Defeat That Never Was - CNN / How To Defeat Boko Haram: A Message To Nigerian Security Services (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by IamPatriotic(m): 9:55pm On Jan 01, 2016
Opinion: Boko Haram and the defeat that never was.
Nigeria's president vowed that Boko Haram would be
beaten by the end of 2015
But terror group has continued to mount attacks,
despite efforts of Nigerian military
Critics say corruption, lack of coordination among
factors which have helped Boko Haram flourish
A campaign signboad displayed by the ruling All Progressives Congress in Ogun State, southwest
Nigeria.
Editor's Note: Ryan Cummings is the chief security analyst for sub-Saharan Africa at red24 , a
crisis management consultancy, and also a founding member of the Nigeria Security Network , a
non-profit think tank. Follow him on Twitter @Pol_Sec_Analyst . The opinions expressed in this
commentary are solely those of the author.
(CNN)— "And I assure you that we will defeat Boko Haram by the end of this year." This was the
pledge made by Nigerian President Muhammdu Buhari to his Beninese counterpart, Boni Yayi,
during a gala dinner commemorating Benin's independence during the summer of 2015.
It was a promise that the Nigerian head of state would also reiterate to fellow Nigerians, who
eagerly waited for him to make good on his promise and act with the decisiveness that Buhari
had accused his predecessor, Goodluck Jonathan, of lacking. Yet as 2015 drew to a close, the
specter of Boko Haram loomed as large as ever over Africa's most populous state.
Indeed, less than 48 hours after the Buhari regime announced that it had fulfilled its vow of
defeating the group, at least 50 people were killed in a wave of violence in Nigeria's insurgent-
embattled Borno and Adamawa states. Those skeptical of Boko Haram's defeat were vindicated,
those residing within the terrorists' deadly reach continue to live in fear.
Nigeria's information minister, however, downplayed the December 27 attacks and further
reaffirmed that Boko Haram was on the precipice of being "wiped out." Lai Mohammed claimed
to local media that all insurgent-held territory had been reclaimed and that Boko Haram no
longer possessed the operational capabilities to achieve its raison d'etre, the creation of a
"dawlah" -- or Islamic-state -- in north-eastern Nigeria.
The problem with Mohammed's "impending demise" narrative is that it equated loss of territory
with defeat. Prior to Boko Haram's capture in July 2014 of Damboa, the first Nigerian town to
fall to the extremist sect, its near decade-long insurgency had been characterized by traditional
guerilla warfare. The group's favoured modus operandi had been suicide bombings and hit-and-
run raids, not the capture and control of territory.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/01/opinions/nigeria-boko-haram-fight/index.html?sr=twcnni010116/opinions/nigeria-boko-haram-fight/index.html%200426PMStoryLink&linkId=20028937

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by DickDastardly(m): 9:56pm On Jan 01, 2016
angry

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by MzPecs(f): 10:03pm On Jan 01, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by luvinhubby(m): 10:06pm On Jan 01, 2016
angry
Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by Karlovich: 10:10pm On Jan 01, 2016
Buhari has failed and should resign honorably. He swore to end the insurgency in 2015

12 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by pointstores(m): 10:12pm On Jan 01, 2016
nothing good comes easy
Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by Immatex(m): 10:13pm On Jan 01, 2016
Political Promise.

The rule of thumb here is:

Promise things you know you won't even fulfill and make excuses afterward.

Let no deceive you

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by njikoamaka: 10:39pm On Jan 01, 2016
Lying is not corruption-Lying Mohammed.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by tafabaloo(m): 11:13pm On Jan 01, 2016
Ok
Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by thunder74(m): 12:17am On Jan 02, 2016
We know it was for those that always wanted to hear sweet promises. For me, I know APC is good at making promises it never plans to fulfill.
It has never fulfil any and can't see any plans or policies on ground to fulfil any.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by Ecoterrorism(f): 1:21am On Jan 02, 2016
The stupid promise made by buhari reminds me of a stupid promise made by Obj to end blackout. Two stupid old men whom has held this nation by its testicles

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by 400billionman: 1:49am On Jan 02, 2016
Lai Lie Muhammed.

Party of famous liers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by Candyrain(m): 2:25am On Jan 02, 2016
Ryan Cummings exposing the lies of Liar Mohammed and also revealing that the APC govt are not in tune with happenings and reality. I like this part.

The problem with Mohammed's "impending demise" narrative is that it equated loss of territory with defeat. Prior to Boko Haram's capture in July 2014 of Damboa, the first Nigerian town to fall to the extremist sect, its near decade-long insurgency had been characterized by traditional guerilla warfare. The group's favoured modus operandi had been suicide bombings and hit and run raids, not the capture and control of territory.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by francizy(m): 2:36am On Jan 02, 2016
Nigerians deserve the kind of leaders they get. By the time APC is done with our democracy, there will be nothing good left to talk about us. SmH...
Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by Demmocrats(m): 2:40am On Jan 02, 2016
Questions to CNN/Americans during the Iraq war the bush administration claimed Saddam Hussein had weapon of mass destruction which was the run reason for the war in Iraq was one found in Iraq did any body kill bush for that.

Two question the same bush claimed he will stop terrorist network that caused September eleven attack, did he succeed NO he failed

The same Bush made comments of killing Osama but failed big time.

President Obama succeeded in killing Osama but created a group worst than Osama

The summary of every no plan goes according to plan, bush vowed to kill Osama which he failed and Obama succeeded.

CNN mind your fvcking business and focus on gay laws america approved.
Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by KingTom(m): 2:58am On Jan 02, 2016
francizy:
Nigerians deserve the kind of leaders they get. By the time APC is done with our democracy, there will be nothing good left to talk about us. SmH...
As your doctor I'm concerned about your health so you mean even at 2:36am you were still awake and what's worse still wailing? grin how far na you never sleep up till now ? shocked

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by francizy(m): 3:48am On Jan 02, 2016
KingTom:

As your doctor I'm concerned about your health so you mean even at 2:36am you were still awake and what's worse still wailing? grin how far na you never sleep up till now ? shocked

Yeye monitoring spirit. I already woke up from sleep... tongue

3 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by Lighthouseman: 4:59am On Jan 02, 2016
Demmocrats:
Questions to CNN/Americans during the Iraq war the bush administration claimed Saddam Hussein had weapon of mass destruction which was the run reason for the war in Iraq was one found in Iraq did any body kill bush for that.

Two question the same bush claimed he will stop terrorist network that caused September eleven attack, did he succeed NO he failed

The same Bush made comments of killing Osama but failed big time.

President Obama succeeded in killing Osama but created a group worst than Osama

The summary of every no plan goes according to plan, bush vowed to kill Osama which he failed and Obama succeeded.

CNN mind your fvcking business and focus on gay laws america approved.
Z.Ombie spotted.
Keep in view

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by urbanmonk: 5:57am On Jan 02, 2016
Buhari just honor your agreement with your boys the bokoharam so innocent people can live in peace. Sadist president
Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by likila: 6:00am On Jan 02, 2016
foolish is not buhari
Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by fearNORTH: 6:01am On Jan 02, 2016
Can any good thing come out of Daura town?..
Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by chesterlee(m): 7:04am On Jan 02, 2016
Shame!
Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by rozayx5(m): 7:15am On Jan 02, 2016
lalasticlala
Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by drss(m): 7:34am On Jan 02, 2016
wat was buari smoking when he said ''i will end boko in two months''? well, a dullard is always a dullard.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by chernest2002: 8:49am On Jan 02, 2016
This is new year and I pray that Buhari will also change and receive knowledge, size to be a dictator to a democrat so that our democracy will not fail Amen.
Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by maestroz: 9:04am On Jan 02, 2016
Karlovich:
Buhari has failed and should resign honorably. He swore to end the insurgency in 2015

if he resigns, who should take over? 'mere commissioner?
Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by KingTom(m): 5:22pm On Jan 02, 2016
francizy:

Yeye monitoring spirit. I already woke up from sleep... tongue
between you and Olamide I no know who Mumu pass grin
Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by francizy(m): 5:28pm On Jan 02, 2016
KingTom:
between you and Olamide I no know who Mumu pass grin

Hehehehehehe! Shey be Olamide na from Ogun state bah? I no go surprise if you and am come from same extended family. grin cheesy
Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by ERAKAMUS: 5:52pm On Jan 02, 2016
Kai Bull.ari
Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by Candyrain(m): 6:00pm On Jan 02, 2016
A defeat that never was indeed.
Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by KingTom(m): 10:05pm On Jan 02, 2016
francizy:

Hehehehehehe! Shey be Olamide na from Ogun state bah? I no go surprise if you and am come from same extended family. grin cheesy

impossible, alcoholics and touts are not and can never be part of my family tree grin
Re: Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. by francizy(m): 10:26pm On Jan 02, 2016
KingTom:

impossible, alcoholics and touts are not and can never be part of my family tree grin

Hehehehehehe! All doctors are alcoholics... grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

#dasukigate: Chief Olu Falae Confesses He Got N100m, States Why And How / Historic Fast Facts About Nigeria Academia: Igbo's Contribution / See How Ambode Made Primero The Sole BRT Operator In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.