Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) (50883 Views)

Heavy Rain In Onitsha Sweeps Cars, Occupants, 3 Bankers Away (Photos) / Rain Falls For The First Time In Maiduguri, Residents Celebrate (Screenshots) / Lady Controls Traffic In Port Harcourt Under Heavy Rain (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by pagorino(m): 10:22pm On Jan 03, 2016
angry....nawa ooo. end time river.
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jan 03, 2016
adren:
how does this stop the feud between YBNL and SMD??

If this was in another country you would be amazed right?
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by Vokians(m): 10:26pm On Jan 03, 2016
This may be as a result of alga bloom, a phenomenon caused by "Eutrophication".

1 Like

Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by oglalasioux(m): 10:26pm On Jan 03, 2016
Very beautiful. I'll think of paying a visit.
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jan 03, 2016
drnoel:

Allow those illiterate to be looking for wonders where the explanation is simple. Its why the white man would always think he is superior.

Oga did the op insinuate anything spiritual or supernatural to be the cause of the colour variations? what I read is someone trying to project a rich natural heritage. You seem to be the one not showing logic and understanding here.
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jan 03, 2016
Reminds me of this glacier lake located in the Canadian rocky mountains. The colouration in this particular lake was caused by rock flour.
The glacier lake in summer and in winter.

1 Like

Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by SpaceComputer: 10:51pm On Jan 03, 2016
Betting company based in Umuahia (Abia State) are looking for two computer technical workers. You need to know a lot about computers, printers, thermo printers, ups, internet connection, how to conect computer on tv with hdmi cabel or vga cabel, how to use skype, team viewer, etc... This all is required to know and we will learn you all steps you need to do at your work as technic personal.

Please send your picture and your CV at this e-mail adress: betcomplete@gmail.com
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by drnoel: 10:57pm On Jan 03, 2016
Neeson:

Oga did the op insinuate anything spiritual or supernatural to be the cause of the colour variations? what I read is someone trying to project a rich natural heritage. You seem to be the one not snhowing logic and understanding here.

Really okay u tell us what is rich in that natural phenomena? Ibtire for people that think with their behind
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by obibanks: 11:02pm On Jan 03, 2016
You mean I schooled in Abia for 5 years and I never knew of this place? This one pain me cry cry
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by dokiOloye(m): 11:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
sonnie10:

Chlorophyll washed off from the nearby green leafs on the banks.
U sabi book my brother.
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 11:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
Proudly Ngwa Man 4 life.

1 Like

Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by freedom96: 11:10pm On Jan 03, 2016
sexaddict08:

you no fit spell 'rich' again... this world go soon end ooo
That was a mistake.You don't have to be rude to offer a correction.To pay you back, can't you communicate using standard English? What is all these 'no fit','go soon','ooo'

1 Like

Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by Proudlyngwa(m): 11:19pm On Jan 03, 2016
obibanks:
You mean I schooled in Abia for 5 years and I never knew of this place? This one pain me cry cry
Tell me something
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by Jeremyaaa09: 11:21pm On Jan 03, 2016
SmartMugu:
Simple explanation. Trees produce pollens, especially in hot weather. Rain washes the pollens into the river, and river turns green. To test, take a sample of the water to a lab and see. The type of vegetation around the water would determine the contents.

You have a point there but I do not absolutely agree with your thoughts. Chlorophyll in dry falling leaves have lost nearly all of its green chlorophyll (a). The first poster is correct. 2 things give colour to water; nature of sediment/bottom (largely contributed to by soil type and chemical qualities of the water) and the dominant or abundant algae/phytoplankton. The water tends to be blue in dry seasons probably due to abundance or dominance of the blue-green algae and generally, most rivers will have much more of green algae during wet season. What you see there as green is a green algae bloom a likely result of eutrophication as mentioned by Sonnie.

2 Likes

Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by Ethan015(m): 11:24pm On Jan 03, 2016
drnoel:

Allow those illiterate to be looking for wonders where the explanation is simple. Its why the white man would always think he is superior.

what else is wonderful if this is not?
No one said its mysterious... Just accept the fact that the nature is amazing...

If it doesn't amaze u tell us how many rivers you've created that can change colour after rainfall

Even the 7 wonders of the world have natural explanations... Na OP name them wonders of the world?

1 Like

Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by stevLegend: 11:24pm On Jan 03, 2016
Lordave:
Are you confused?

Your topic says the river turns green when it rains, but the contents refers to the river as Azumini 'Blue' river.

Dat is not even the 'azumini' river... The river shares boundary with Akwa ibom. And isn't so big. Take a gud luk @ d 1st pics. dat looks like a diversed branch of d 'victoria falls.'

1 Like

Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by kwajahafiz(m): 11:26pm On Jan 03, 2016
Just algie stirred by the rain from the bottom of the river.
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by Akerry(m): 11:34pm On Jan 03, 2016
RockMaxi:
Probably too much of Algae in the river
exactly.....photosynthetic Algae

1 Like

Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by Akerry(m): 11:37pm On Jan 03, 2016
obibanks:
MUST YOU??

BTW, u may be d book book type......#just joking bro
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by tpiar: 12:14am On Jan 04, 2016
stevLegend:

Dat is not even the 'azumini' river... The river shares boundary with Akwa ibom. And isn't so big. Take a gud luk @ d 1st pics. dat looks like a diversed branch of d 'victoria falls.'

not much info on google either.
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by Bishops10(m): 12:15am On Jan 04, 2016
adren:
how does this stop the feud between YBNL and SMD??

No feud any longer bro
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by sexaddict08(m): 4:35am On Jan 04, 2016
freedom96:
That was a mistake.You don't have to be rude to offer a correction.To pay you back, can't you communicate using standard English? What is all these 'no fit','go soon','ooo'

hahaha.... its a joke ooo
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by chijokz(m): 4:58am On Jan 04, 2016
excellencyabia1:
Abia is blessed. Nigeria is blessed. Look at a good place for tourism, they wouldn't develope it instead they will be looking on how to steal the public fund and lie to the public.
Let me correct you - the reason for the change in colour is due to too much algae in the river.
There's nothing spiritual or blessed about this occurrence.
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by stevLegend: 6:23am On Jan 04, 2016
tpiar:

not much info on google either.

I know the river very well. And that's not it.
Had it been so big with the features the OP tagged it, surely, it would have been mapped on google.
some people just love posting wrong info to get attention.
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by lukman885(m): 6:42am On Jan 04, 2016
*excess_Algae* perhaps a little algicide will help to eliminate the algae.
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by ceejawhyte(m): 6:55am On Jan 04, 2016
Proudly Azumini... a son of the soil
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by solomonzamani(m): 7:53am On Jan 04, 2016
ur head dy der
SmartMugu:
Simple explanation. Trees produce pollens, especially in hot weather. Rain washes the pollens into the river, and river turns green. To test, take a sample of the water to a lab and see. The type of vegetation around the water would determine the contents.
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 7:54am On Jan 04, 2016
drnoel:

And you've already arrived at a conclusion from the comfort of ya home.
That's one of the reasons why those white men you worship so much will remain better than you
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 7:57am On Jan 04, 2016
SmartMugu:
The bolded is the only tangible part in this ya post. All the rest are crap.
No forest would produce enough pollen to color a river. Even the trees around the amazon have never been able to do that.
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by Sharoniah(f): 8:19am On Jan 04, 2016
excellencyabia1:
Abia is blessed. Nigeria is blessed. Look at a good place for tourism, they wouldn't develope it instead they will be looking on how to steal the public fund and lie to the public.
Ezigbo nwanne m,ututu oma
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by bigval(m): 9:20am On Jan 04, 2016
Very good water body for fish production, it's just a phenomenon called, upwelling
Re: Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) by casto: 11:59am On Jan 04, 2016
No be Abia State! Check how many soakaway pipes that enters the river. Na sheet be that grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Places In The World Where It Is Daytime 24/7 (no Night For Months) / ‘1500’ Lagos-bound Passengers Stranded In Ghana — After Four Days / Uk Visa. How To Track Ur Application On Line

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.