Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,463 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos (1594 Views)

Agip Oil Pipeline Explosion In Bayelsa , 3 Feared Dead / BREAKING: Fresh Bomb Explosion In Damaturu / Militant Group Claims Responsibility For Delta Pipeline Explosion- PUNCH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by texazzpete(m): 8:42am On Jun 15, 2009
http://www.234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5423979-146/Pipeline_explodes_in_Lagos__.csp

234next is reporting that a pipeline exploded in a lagos suburb late last night. As usual, the cause is said to be sabotage by vandals.

An unknown number of people have been reported dead in Ilado, a Lagos suburb, following an oil pipeline explosion.

According to an environmental protection activist, Philip Jakpor, the incident occurred at about 10 pm on Saturday following the activities of suspected vandals.

Members of the community, which is only accessible by boat, are said to be fleeing their residences because of an instruction to armed military officers to "shoot at sight" any unauthorised person within the vicinity.

Seriously, do these people never learn?
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by AloyEmeka9: 8:47am On Jun 15, 2009
AIT is not showing it, why?
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by georgecso(m): 9:18am On Jun 15, 2009
texazzpete:

http://www.234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5423979-146/Pipeline_explodes_in_Lagos__.csp

234next is reporting that a pipeline exploded in a lagos suburb late last night. As usual, the cause is said to be sabotage by vandals.

An unknown number of people have been reported dead in Ilado, a Lagos suburb, following an oil pipeline explosion.

According to an environmental protection activist, Philip Jakpor, the incident occurred at about 10 pm on Saturday following the activities of suspected vandals.

Members of the community, which is only accessible by boat, are said to be fleeing their residences because of an instruction to armed military officers to "shoot at sight" any unauthorised person within the vicinity.

Seriously, do these people never learn?

[size=15pt]What would they learn when the authorities have not given the masses something to live up to. The Authorities have made petrol a scare commodity as such its now a lucrative business to be stealing petrol. [/size]
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jun 15, 2009
I couldn't agree more!
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by Jarus(m): 12:16pm On Jun 15, 2009
When will Nigerians learn lesson? I'm still struggling to understand why some people go to this extent in search of money? This is not poverty please, it is sheer greed. This thing occurs every now and then, but people won't desist. The probability of a ruptured oil pipeline later going on in flames is 1, because I have never heard of a case that did not eventually result in fire and killing people, but people continue to do this. Are we goats?
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by DaJoneZ(f): 12:20pm On Jun 15, 2009
Oh not again!!!
sad
When will people ever learn?!? the past consequences have clearly not gotten any of them thinking, but then again.............the natural forces of greed & desperation. Both ever blinding, they blind so much blinds so much that the consequences becomes secondary, and the lives of one and many primary.

Do pig's have to grow wings and fly before measures are taken?!? undecided
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by JJYOU: 12:21pm On Jun 15, 2009
Jarus:

When will Nigerians learn lesson? I'm still struggling to understand why some people go to this extent in search of money? This is not poverty please, it is sheer greed. This thing occurs every now and then, but people won't desist. The probability of a ruptured oil pipeline later going on in flames is 1, because I have never heard of a case that did not eventually result in fire and killing people, but people continue to do this. Are we goats?
nigerians never learn anything.  we think we can do samething over and over and get different results as they say
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by tboyjnr(m): 12:25pm On Jun 15, 2009
I'm sorry to say but thats less counts of idiots in Lagos, what sort of desperation would make you vandalise a pipeline,
I just feel sorry for the innocent people caught up in this,
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by Jarus(m): 12:26pm On Jun 15, 2009
JJYOU:

nigerians never learn anything. we think we can do samething over and over and get different results as they say

abiioooo. . .same story everytime.

@DajoneZ
I agree with you that desperation truly blinds. But if the eyes go blind, is the sense also going insane. It's very serious o.
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 12:28pm On Jun 15, 2009
Another one?? shocked
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by oludashmi(f): 12:35pm On Jun 15, 2009
georgecso:

[size=15pt]What would they learn when the authorities have not given the masses something to live up to. The Authorities have made petrol a scare commodity as such its now a lucrative business to be stealing petrol. [/size]

And should this be the reason for doing something that claims tens and hundreds of innocent lives? Are they the only ones living and suffering in Nigeria? If you know the gravity of what they are doing, you will not even support and justify their moves.
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by SamMilla1(m): 12:37pm On Jun 15, 2009
Devil at work,
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by lannre(m): 1:37pm On Jun 15, 2009
georgecso:

enough reason to commit suicide ?
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by festogift: 1:47pm On Jun 15, 2009
when expolseru occure
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by dominictj(m): 1:50pm On Jun 15, 2009
I think some of this people prefer death than being alive since our leaders has failed us. It is not enough to just sit in ur comfort office and abuse this poor individuals while our leaders steal million of dollars and live in comfort. u and I may not really understand what the masses are going thru probably because we are fortunate enough earn a living thru hard work. Its a wake up call to our leaders to try and do something in the right direction
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by MrCrackles(m): 1:53pm On Jun 15, 2009
Sam Milla:

Devil at work,

Nigerians, always quick to blame the devil!
Pssssf!!
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by MrCrackles(m): 1:53pm On Jun 15, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Another one?? shocked

Sick and tired of it all! sad
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by moneygurl: 1:57pm On Jun 15, 2009
Here is a better explanation of what happened:

Explosion Rocks Fuel Pipeline in Lagos

[b]An oil pipeline belonging to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) in Ilado, a Lagos suburb, exploded at the weekend leaving scores of persons injured.

Eleven fuel boats believed to be owned by some vandals who had gone to scoop fuel from the vandalised pipeline were razed.
THISDAY learnt that the fire, which erupted at about 8.15 pm on Saturday, damaged the pipeline that transports refined products from the corporation’s Atlas Cove depot to Mosimi depot in Ogun State, from where products are distributed to users in parts of Ogun and Ondo States and the North.

Spokesman of the Pipelines and Products Marketing Company (PPMC), a subsidiary of NNPC, Mr. Raph Ugwu, confirmed the incident last night, but said the fire had been put out while the damaged pipeline had been repaired.

He also confirmed that the 12 boats, which the oil thieves operated with, were completely razed in the ensuing fire but he disclosed that there was no report of any loss of life.

Sources close to the area hinted that the vandals had operated in 12 boats, each carrying about 30 jerry cans of 50-litre capacity.
They were said to have successfully filled the jerry cans in 11 of the boats with petrol, when some Naval Ratings who acted on a tip-off stormed the scene.

On sighting the patrol team, the vandals were said to have attempted to escape when the fire erupted.

“The vandals came in with 12 boats with each carrying about 30 jerry cans of 50-litre capacity. They siphoned fuel from the pipeline but on sighting a naval patrol, a stampede ensued and all the boats were gutted. When the PPMC was alerted, we stopped pumping fuel from the pipeline and mobilised engineers who put out the fire in the early hours of Sunday. The pipeline has been repaired and normal pumping of fuel restored. There was no human casualty,” said an official of the corporation who spoke on condition of anonymity last night.

Ilado village, about 25 miles east of Lagos, is prone to pipeline vandalism.

A spill explosion, which took place in the area in May 2006, left over 300 villagers who had gone to siphon fuel from the site dead.
Reacting to the spill explosion, the Environmental Rights Action/ Friends of the Earth, Nigeria (ERA/FoEN) had recommended the enforcement of periodic integrity checks, effective surveillance, prompt response mechanisms as well as eradication of poverty as part of measures government must implement to stem incessant pipeline explosions in the country.

Vandalism of petroleum pipelines has remained the greatest threat to effective and efficient supply and distribution of petroleum products in Nigeria[/b].

The NNPC, it was learnt, suffered 971 cases of pipeline vandalism in 2004, 2,258 in 2005 and 2,912 cases in 2006 and a substantial number in 2007.

Statistic obtained by THISDAY recently revealed that no fewer than 5,000 persons had been killed in pipeline explosions in the recent past.

In December 26, 2006, hundreds of persons were killed following an explosion from a vandalised pipeline in Awori area of Abule-Egba, another Lagos suburb.

In October 1998, when a similar tragedy occurred in Jesse town, Delta State, well over 1000 persons were killed, while so many others were severely burnt.

In two separate incidents, which occurred in Warri and Ebute precisely on July 16 and November 30, 2000 respectively, over 180 persons were reportedly killed.

A similar incident in June 19, 2003 in Umuahia claimed no fewer than 125 lives.

This is aside from about 1,300 others reportedly killed between 2004 and 2005 in Lagos, which is prone to such incidences.
The NNPC has often blamed pipeline vandalism as the major reason why the nation’s refineries have not been operating.

In February 18, 2006, the Chanomi Creek Pipeline, which feeds the Warri and Kaduna refineries, was blown up by Niger Delta militants.

The refinery is yet to be restored to normal operation years after.

Nigeria is still importing products massively due to the poor state of all the nation’s refineries

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=146126
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by Fhemmmy: 2:28pm On Jun 15, 2009
georgecso:

And that is good enuf for them to kill themselves over?
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by lojik(m): 2:43pm On Jun 15, 2009
Poverty has made these ppl believe life has no value. That probably means the petrol has more value than their life so they risk life for gallons of petrol. Scale of preference? I fear 9ja ppl o.
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by georgecso(m): 2:58pm On Jun 15, 2009
Now that they are killing themselves someone should tell us who should be more responsible?
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by Fhemmmy: 3:24pm On Jun 15, 2009
lojik:

Poverty has made these ppl believe life has no value. That probably means the petrol has more value than their life so they risk life for gallons of petrol. Scale of preference? I fear 9ja ppl o.

I guess they should continue dying then.
All the gas they will get from the pipeline wont even be mroe than some thousands of naira.
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by tpiah: 3:27pm On Jun 15, 2009
the curse of Nigerian oil.

Uncounted numbers of lives lost from pipelines explosions, oil tanker explosions, road accidents, etc.
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by Fhemmmy: 3:31pm On Jun 15, 2009
tpiah:

the curse of Nigerian oil.

Uncounted numbers of lives lost from pipelines explosions, oil tanker explosions, road accidents, etc.

Who do we blame for all these?
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by tpiah: 3:38pm On Jun 15, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Who do we blame for all these?

the oil.
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by festogift: 5:11pm On Jun 15, 2009
we need to blaem our goverment when they refused to rendered job for the graduate
who have surfar for 8years in institution.so pople hv to find thier way of getting money
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by youngies(m): 5:19pm On Jun 15, 2009
festogift:

when expolseru occure

festogift:

we need to blaem our goverment when they refused to rendered job for the graduate
who have surfar for 8years in institution.so pople hv to find thier way of getting money
What did you do with your school fees?  embarassed
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by sosisi(f): 5:57pm On Jun 15, 2009
Desperation compounded by hopelessness is a horrible thing
Who knows
I could have been driving one of the speedboats if I were in their shoes but for God's Grace.
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by Fhemmmy: 6:21pm On Jun 15, 2009
festogift:

I am not a fan of the govt, but tell me which nation will provide jobs for all their graduate, i think we misapporttioning blames here.
People knows that tampering with all Oil pipes are dangerous, so we need to blame them and no one else.
If you wanna be stupid, no need to be stupid to the point of death and that seems to be whatt just happened.

tpiah:

the oil.

The oil? and why is that?
I will say their own stupidity.
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by mrofficial(m): 7:38pm On Jun 15, 2009
oludashmi:

And should this be the reason for doing something that claims tens and hundreds of innocent lives? Are they the only ones living and suffering in Nigeria? If you know the gravity of what they are doing, you will not even support and justify their moves.

That's it! I think you need to open your bible.

Nothing like working on the necessities.
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by bashali: 12:39am On Jun 16, 2009
wah
Re: Another Pipeline Explosion In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 1:39am On Jun 16, 2009
na suicide by pipeline explosion trend we dey see so? we have had at least one in recent months. how many more before end of year?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Drama At Transcorp Hilton Hotel As Greece Envoy, Wife Label Nigerians Thieves / Scam: Us Indicts 8 Nigerians / What Nigeria Senators Take Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.