Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,856 members, 7,824,560 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage (15528 Views)

Kaduna Youths React To Nnamdi Kanu's Proposed Visit To Kaduna / Blackout: Ikeja Electric Announces One Month Power Outage / Kaduna Youths Drag Body Of Shiite Member Through Refuse (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by DONSMITH123(m): 3:27pm On Jan 04, 2016
Youths of Kamanzo Community in Kaduna metropolis have embacked on protest over alleged 10 months of power outage in the area.

The protest which erupted on Monday, saw the youths barricade the Ibrahim Yakowa Road, causing gridlock for over two hours.

The District Head of Kamanzo Community, Malam Dan-Makama, who confirmed the development, said that he had personally written to KEDCO on the matter, but the effort had yielded no result.

However, he appealed to the protesting youths to return to their homes, to prevent the situation from becoming violent.

According to him, “I have a generator in my house, but I had to stop using it to identify with my people.

“This is because it is going to be unfair that I have electricity because I can afford it, while my people are living in the dark,” Dan-Makama said.

Meanwhile, all efforts by the police, led by the Divisional Police Officer for Sabo Area of the city, Mr. Olalekan Odumosun, to disperse the crowd were futile, as the youths, women and children refused to budge.

Speaking on behalf of the community, Mr. Suleimanu Haruna told newsmen that the area had been without power supply for 10 months.

According to him, all efforts by the community to get the attention of the Kaduna Electric Distribution Company, KEDCO, to remedy the situation were unsuccessful.

The spokesman explained further that the company had removed the two transformers serving the community after repeated breakdown due to overloading.

Haruna said, “This development (overloading) resulted to rationing of electricity supply in the area, while the transformers kept having problems until they finally packed up.

“We have written to KEDCO on several occasions with no positive response. We are tired of writing; which is why we came out on the street to draw the government’s attention to our plight.

“The KEDCO officials have removed the transformers, with a promise to replace them; but this is more than 10 months ago and so far, nothing has been done.
“We cannot continue living in the dark,” Haruna noted.

When contacted, KEDCO’s Head of Media and Community Relations, Mr. Idris Muhammad, confirmed the power outage, stating that the community needed three transformers for immediate use.

Muhammad, who denied that the company was charging customers without electricity supply, said, “We planned to provide five transformers to the community because it is growing very fast. So far, efforts are underway to provide three transformers before the end of the week.

“One is ready, the second one has no accessories yet for it to start working, while the third one that blew up is being repaired.
“In the event we fail to make them available before the end of the week, we will get back to the community, to prevail on them to maintain peace, before the transformers are made available,” Muhammad added.

The situation was however brought under control with the intervention of the military and other security personnel attached to the Kaduna Refining and Petrochemical Company, KRPC, who appealed to the protesters for calm, promising to intervene on the matter.

Cc: lalasticlala

http://dailypost.ng/2016/01/04/kaduna-youths-block-roads-protest-10-month-power-outage/

Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jan 04, 2016
Nawaoo
Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by OsusuMustFlow(f): 3:30pm On Jan 04, 2016
10 months? Hell-Rufai and APC sha

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by bloodykiller: 3:30pm On Jan 04, 2016
Elrufai is a midget - Obasanjo

33 Likes

Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by OnankpaBa(m): 3:31pm On Jan 04, 2016
tar!!! shut ur mouth there. APC don reach 10 months?

OsusuMustFlow:

20 Likes

Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by OnankpaBa(m): 3:32pm On Jan 04, 2016
I hope the government will come to their rescue. I trust El-rufai for a good job.

2 Likes

Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by OsusuMustFlow(f): 3:32pm On Jan 04, 2016
thank you sir lipsrsealed
OnankpaBa:
tar!!! shut ur mouth there. APC don reach 10 months?

6 Likes

Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by ta4ba3(m): 3:33pm On Jan 04, 2016
U hv d change u craved for... Abeg leavetrashforlawma

9 Likes

Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by Aristotle96(m): 3:35pm On Jan 04, 2016
ta4ba3:
and come and collect the car

5 Likes

Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by DONSMITH123(m): 3:36pm On Jan 04, 2016
The spokesman explained further that the company had removed the two transformers serving the community after repeated breakdown due to overloading.

Haruna said, “This development (overloading) resulted to rationing of electricity supply in the area, while the transformers kept having problems until they finally packed up.

And Kaduna state government cannot do anything about that?

15 Likes

Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by oluwaSmith1(f): 3:38pm On Jan 04, 2016
smiley
Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by oluwaSmith1(f): 3:38pm On Jan 04, 2016
ta4ba3:
Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by JaredNomak: 3:39pm On Jan 04, 2016
APC Zombies Club of Nairaland:

"My fridge has frozen my beers to death"-Zombie 1

"My television hasn't gone off for 10weeks now"-Zombie 2

"My bulbs are dying everyday because of 4months constant power supply"- Zombie 3

"My Air condition is killing me cos of Buhari improved power supply"- Zombie 4

82 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by vicostyles(m): 3:39pm On Jan 04, 2016
Too bad!!!!
Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by StefanSalvatore: 3:40pm On Jan 04, 2016
Dis is wickedness at it's peak
Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by Tolexander: 3:40pm On Jan 04, 2016
JaredNomak:

"My bulbs are dying everyday because of 4months constant power supply"- Zombie 3

blame 10months old power outage on Buhari- Master Zombie

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by OnankpaBa(m): 3:41pm On Jan 04, 2016
you still wail to 2016?

JaredNomak:

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by dipopooo(m): 3:42pm On Jan 04, 2016
dey neva see anytin.

SAI BABA

Awon werey

2 Likes

Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by philip0906(m): 3:43pm On Jan 04, 2016
JaredNomak:
This is a new year. . .use your brain

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by ofofoCEO(f): 3:43pm On Jan 04, 2016
If this protest were to be in the south/East now, a section of Nigerians will call it an attempt to sabotage the efforts of the government. Am just saying sha

25 Likes

Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by sisiclara: 3:43pm On Jan 04, 2016
What's good for the goose is also good for the gander!
They must provide basic amenities for pete's sake
Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by omolola15(m): 3:46pm On Jan 04, 2016
OsusuMustFlow:

E don reach 10 months wey el-rufai and Apc assume office. Se d person wey dey there before no know sey Dem no get light for that area?

But come to think of it. 10 months without electricity? I'd have died.
Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by Greenbullet(m): 3:47pm On Jan 04, 2016
anybody who blames this on buhari deserves to be hanged or is the individual not aware of privatization in the electricity sector by GEJ .which is the main cause of shortage of power.

1 Like

Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by FagsamPHP(m): 3:49pm On Jan 04, 2016
k
Re: Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage by justmenoni: 3:50pm On Jan 04, 2016
Some people will run here now and blame pdp/GEJ well na dem sabi... But some weeks ago some lieing liars were jubilating that electricity has improved rapidly so what's wrong again abi kaduna is in Niger or Chad? ?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Quotable Political Quotes Of The Week / Buhari Congratulates Akinwumi Adesina On World Food Prize Laureate / Any PDP Candidate Can Defeat Buhari — Turaki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.