Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,905 members, 7,838,227 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? (2182 Views)

Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW / Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) / Anxiety Mounts As Buhari Keeps Tinubu, Atiku In The Dark Over New Cabinet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Fhemmmy: 4:46pm On Jun 16, 2009
Lexyl:

@Fehmmmy, The law enforcement should do their job.

And what is their jobs when they are busy collecting money.
I think the law enforcement needed a complete overhaul as well.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by sashbaby(f): 4:48pm On Jun 16, 2009
i agree with you fehmmmy
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by FBS: 5:04pm On Jun 16, 2009
anyone got pictures of Oshodi??
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by honeric01(m): 5:41pm On Jun 16, 2009
Is the rainway project an FG project too?
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by chukz4real(m): 6:04pm On Jun 16, 2009
Wondering when last I entered Lagos. Hope Uncle Fash transforms Lag to Lon before the end of this year. Who know, I might change my vacation from Cal to Lag!
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by okokomeji: 6:05pm On Jun 16, 2009
FG is the bane of Nigeria. I saw on internet a rivulet pothole's picture, the first thing that came to my mind was "this must be FG road. You cannot sit in Abuja and think you know what is happenning in Lagos. I think state governments should be given more right of ownership on resources in their states.

Nigeria is a crazy world, it's only in here FG will say, this is not my party state; therefore, I won't help the state or this region is more developed and we don't have to contribute anything there.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by moneygurl: 6:14pm On Jun 16, 2009
The govt needs to get rid of Molue's and the only way they can do that is to have more BRT and LAGBUS buses, improve water transportation and get the rail transportation going.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Kobojunkie: 6:52pm On Jun 16, 2009
moneygurl:

The govt needs to get rid of Molue's and the only way they can do that is to have more BRT and LAGBUS buses, improve water transportation and get the rail transportation going.

Government should just get rid of the Molue’s? Is this just so you can feel better with BRT buses that are more appealing to the eye, or something? So, are molues really the problem here? Aren’t we to consider that those buses belong to Lagosians who go to work day and night in them to make money? I mean should Molue’s now be banned(though I am not sure what is illegal in running a legit transportation business) simply because they seem an eye sore? 

I mean how exactly do you think the government go about getting rid of the molues? Exchanging the old machines for new ones at next to no cost, or by offering them micro loans or something to help? Does that sound reasonable? Is some private company going to come in to save the day by giving all molue owners brand new buses? Is the government going to hire all molues buses, and conductors to the BRT?
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Fhemmmy: 6:58pm On Jun 16, 2009
moneygurl:

I do not agree with that, in a nation where everyone has to fend for themselves, where the companies aint hiring, what will happen to all the drivers, or even people that owns those buses, they shd go and jump into the lagoos?
i think it is time the govt find a solution to how the BRT and other tranx coys will be able to all work together in peace and harmony.
The thugs "agberos" shd be arrested and locked away.
people selling on the street should be dealt with, however, provide them with better place to sell their stuff.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by bawomolo(m): 7:09pm On Jun 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Government should just get rid of the Molue’s? Is this just so you can feel better with BRT buses that are more appealing to the eye, or something? So, are molues really the problem here? Aren’t we to consider that those buses belong to Lagosians who go to work day and night in them to make money? I mean should Molue’s now be banned(though I am not sure what is illegal in running a legit transportation business) simply because they seem an eye sore? 

I mean how exactly do you think the government go about getting rid of the molues? Exchanging the old machines for new ones at next to no cost, or by offering them micro loans or something to help? Does that sound reasonable? Is some private company going to come in to save the day by giving all molue owners brand new buses? Is the government going to hire all molues buses, and conductors to the BRT?

i believe he is talking about a gradual phasing out of molues.

Not only are BRT more appealing to the eye, they are safe and less polluting.

This all boils down to a poor maintenance culture.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Kobojunkie: 7:22pm On Jun 16, 2009
bawomolo:

i believe he is talking about a gradual phasing out of molues.

Not only are BRT more appealing to the eye, they are safe and less polluting.

This all boils down to a poor maintenance culture.

Gradual phasing out of molues? Did you skip the second paragraph in my post there?
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by DisGuy: 7:33pm On Jun 16, 2009
sashbaby:

fashola cant be every where, it is the state government law enforcement agency to sustain and ensure that the roads are motorable.they are paid to carryout their duties.those agencies should be held responsible for the relapse.

sashbaby:

typical nigerian answer,always passing the bulk.the governor having put things aright is left for lagosians as a whole to maintain such

no its not a typical nigerian answer, the stae government law enforcement agency is under him, in fact everything is under him! he takes the blame when things are bad and take the brownie points when things go well
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by moneygurl: 7:36pm On Jun 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Yes, ban molue's in phases. The government should give the drivers the first option to train and get employment to drive the BRT or LAGBUS. Just like the government is doing with the taxis, some of the people driving the new taxis are cab drivers who have abandoned their rickety yellow and black cabs and some of the people who own cabs are drivers themselves who got loan from banks and joined with a company to get to the 200 minimum the government requires.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by DisGuy: 7:41pm On Jun 16, 2009
moneygurl:

it will be totally unreasonable for the govt to get rid of molues, same thing happening in oshodi will happen if he ban them now, when there are no alternatives people will go back to what they are use to especially something in great demand! there was no alternative for people selling in Oshodi, parking laws are relaxed again and gradually we get back to square one.

And these are genuine business anyway, what the govt should do for those not willing to give up their bus for BRT/LAGBUS is to insist on very high MOT standards that expires every three months! special drivers license, compulsory insurance and tax. that way those lazy operators will join the lagbus union or fix up with tighter regulations
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by shoboy9: 7:44pm On Jun 16, 2009
It remains to be seen whether anytghing Fash did will endure. If it doesn't, he will also lose I think. But the way he went about this thing was not designed to last. SPECTACULAR but not to last. The human element is the problem in most traffic situations. He has not addressed the issue of police taking bribe to allow ppl park indiscriminately. If police did their job, that situation wikll not even arise. But I don't think the political will is there. And I doubt Fash has the guts to challenge area boys, so,
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by walata44(m): 7:45pm On Jun 16, 2009
And what is their jobs when they are busy collecting money.
I think the law enforcement needed a complete overhaul as well.

Thats where the need for state police comes in, Lagos need a police that is not answerable to Abuja before carring out any assignment. Imagine a police that are well kitted, trained and resides within the community not in the baracks.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by moneygurl: 7:46pm On Jun 16, 2009
Dis Guy:

it will be totally unreasonable for the govt to get rid of molues, same thing happening in oshodi will happen if he ban them now, when there are no alternatives people will go back to what they are use to especially something in great demand! there was no alternative for people selling in Oshodi, parking laws are relaxed again and gradually we get back to square one.

And these are genuine business anyway, what the govt should do for those not willing to give up their bus for BRT/LAGBUS is to insist on very high MOT standards that expires every three months! special drivers license, compulsory insurance and tax. that way those lazy operators will join the lagbus union or fix up with tighter regulations

I answered the first part of your statement, when I said the only way this can happen is to provide more BRT, LAGBUS, Water, etc and the second part I answered that too above.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Fhemmmy: 7:48pm On Jun 16, 2009
walata44:

Thats where the need for state police comes in, Lagos need a police that is not answerable to Abuja before carring out any assignment. Imagine a police that is well kitted, trained and resides within the community not in the baracks.

that will be a good a$$ kickers
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by walata44(m): 7:51pm On Jun 16, 2009
He has not addressed the issue of police taking bribe to allow ppl park indiscriminately
Fasola do not have control over the police in his state, he his only chief security officer by mouth. Okiro control Lagos state police.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Kobojunkie: 7:53pm On Jun 16, 2009
moneygurl:

Yes, ban molue's in phases. The government should give the drivers the first option to train and get employment to drive the BRT or LAGBUS. Just like the government is doing with the taxis, some of the people driving the new taxis are cab drivers who have abandoned their rickety yellow and black cabs and some of the people who own cabs are drivers themselves who got loan from banks and joined with a company to get to the 200 minimum the government requires.

Do you realize how many thousands of molue drivers and conductors that would be? You are actually suggesting the government become employer of thousands of molue drivers and conductors we have in that state now? So, the government will spend 100’s of millions to procure buses for the trained drivers to drive, millions for training them and them millions more to pay their wages each month? Is that really the burden you want a state like Lagos to take on?

The government is not doing anything with the taxis. Those Taxis are currently privately funded and we are yet to know how profitable the venture will be considering I read that the drivers are paying for their vehicles  through some micro-loan scheme.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by walata44(m): 8:02pm On Jun 16, 2009
Do you realize how many thousands of molue drivers and conductors that would be? You are actually suggesting the government become employer of thousands of molue drivers and conductors we have in that state now? So, the government will spend 100’s of millions to procure buses for the trained drivers to drive, millions for training them and them millions more to pay their wages each month? Is that really the burden you want a state like Lagos to take on?

The government is not doing anything with the taxis. Those Taxis are currently privately funded and we are yet to know how profitable the venture will be considering I read that the drivers are paying for their vehicles  through some micro-loan scheme.

There is nothing bad in phasing out molues from the state road, what is bad in training them and give them road worthy buses to drive and pay them wages since the buses are not free to travel on.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by moneygurl: 8:03pm On Jun 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

The government is not doing anything with the taxis. Those Taxis are currently privately funded and we are yet to know how profitable the venture will be considering I read that the drivers are paying for their vehicles  through some micro-loan scheme.

That is why the have to go through training, not everyone will be able to be employed. The other forms of transportation such as water, etc can take some of the workers too. And yes the govt. needs a lot of buses to meet the transportation situation in Lagos, and their salaries will be paid from the money that people pay to enter the buses, that is what is currently happening now.

I never said the government is the one funding the taxis, but is the government setting the rules , and the government has involved the Lagos Taxis Association in the process, that is why cab drivers are willing to join. As for making money well we have to wait and see, you have to realize this is not the first batch of private cabs launched by the state. they started it summer of last year and I am sure or hope those private investors who  just joined the initiative will have done their part in doing the research to see if there is money to be made in the business.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Kobojunkie: 8:13pm On Jun 16, 2009
moneygurl:

That is why the have to go through training, not everyone will be able to be employed. The other forms of transportation such as water, etc can take some of the workers too. And yes the govt. needs a lot of buses to meet the transportation situation in Lagos, and their salaries will be paid from the money that people pay to enter the buses, that is what is currently happening now.

Wait a second, your idea is for Government to take away their molues( their means of livelihood), send them to training with no guarantee that there will be a job afterwards. And you do not see reason why there are currently Molues on the road even with BRTs in place?? Lol

Other forms of Transportation? You are still suggesting the GOVERNMENT should take on the burden of employing thousands more transportation workers ( NOTE: Just in Transportation alone).
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Fhemmmy: 8:21pm On Jun 16, 2009
moneygurl:

I never said the government is the one funding the taxis, but is the government setting the rules , and the government has involved the Lagos Taxis Association in the process, that is why cab drivers are willing to join. As for making money well we have to wait and see, you have to realize this is not the first batch of private cabs launched by the state. they started it summer of last year and I am sure or hope those private investors who  just joined the initiative will have done their part in doing the research to see if there is money to be made in the business.

These are someone's father and mother that has month to feed.
So i guess when the kids are hungry at night, they would tell the kinds to just wait and let us see how we will make money?
I dont see why they shd phase out Molue, i think they shd find a way to make molue a better ride, infact, i dont see lagos being Lagos without Molue, they could build them better to be more secured and safe, but not to phase them out, besides, where is the jobs and how many Molue drivers will be able to get a job as water cab drivers when they cant even swim, how many of them will be employed as train operator? i dont think that is possible.
Like i mentioned, they could find a way to make it better, secured and safe and leave them alone on the hands of the owners.
However, the touts needed to be dealt with and that is where the law enforcement agent will come in, arrest any tout at sight and make sure face the law of the land.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by blackspade(m): 8:24pm On Jun 16, 2009
Typical Nigerian (actually more like African) culture of not keeping things maintained. . . . .
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by moneygurl: 8:30pm On Jun 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Wait a second, your idea is for Government to take away their molues( their means of livelihood), send them to training with no guarantee that there will be a job afterwards. And you do not see reason why there are currently Molues on the road even with BRTs in place?? Lol

Other forms of Transportation? You are still suggesting the GOVERNMENT should take on the burden of employing thousands more transportation workers ( NOTE: Just in Transportation alone).

Yes, if they pass the training they get the job. The only reason why there are still molue's even with BRT buses is because there are not enough BRT and LAGBUS to meet the population.

The government does not directly have to take the burden since the private sector is the one employing them, just like the cab is the private sector but the partnership with the government and the Lagos cab association is helping cab drivers to get job with the new cab initiative. And you make is sound as if transportation is free, the money been made will be used to pay the workers, just as its currently happening now.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Kobojunkie: 8:37pm On Jun 16, 2009
moneygurl:

Yes, if they pass the training they get the job. The only reason why there are still molue's even with BRT buses is because there are not enough BRT and LAGBUS to meet the population.

I am not sure you actually understand what I am getting at here. If we can be reasonable for a minute here, I am sure we can boat land on the same page in this.

Now, If the training is conditional, why would a Molue driver, knowing full well that his chances of getting a job post training is 50/50, have real incentive to leave his current job which he has done for years and has no problems with?

The Government already handles all the BRT buses currently. Purchasing more buses will require government SPENDING MORE OF OUR TAX MONEY on these buses. After this, Government would have to SPEND MORE OF OUR TAX MONEY on paying these new drivers. Is the current system Profitable? Is Government currently bringing in enough to take the burden of handling wages from the People onto BRT wholly at this point?

What happens to this system if anything happens to Fashola? Remember LSTC?

moneygurl:

The government does not directly have to take the burden since the private sector is the one employing them, just like the cab is the private sector but the partnership with the government and the Lagos cab association is helping cab drivers to get job with the new cab initiative. And you make is sound as if transportation is free, the money been made will be used to pay the workers, just as its currently happening now.

The partnership with private sector, according to you is too new for private companies to decide to take on even more, if you ask me. On the other hand, most of the current Molues are already managed by the private sector( If I am not mistaken, majority of the molue drivers are already employed by private companies who they drive for). What incentive is there for these companies to now decide to purchase brand new/better looking buses if up until now they have not felt to do just that?
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by bawomolo(m): 8:40pm On Jun 16, 2009
Gradual phasing out of molues? Did you skip the second paragraph in  my post there?

I don't think anyone is arguing with you that transportation should be a private initiative.  Government subsidies or grants are however inevitable when it comes to transportation.

I dont see why they shd phase out Molue, i think they shd find a way to make molue a better ride, infact, i dont see lagos being Lagos without Molue,

i guess pollution and lack of safety is cool.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by moneygurl: 8:40pm On Jun 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

These are someone's father and mother that has month to feed.
So i guess when the kids are hungry at night, they would tell the kinds to just wait and let us see how we will make money?
I dont see why they shd phase out Molue, i think they shd find a way to make molue a better ride, infact, i dont see lagos being Lagos without Molue, they could build them better to be more secured and safe, but not to phase them out, besides, where is the jobs and how many Molue drivers will be able to get a job as water cab drivers when they cant even swim, how many of them will be employed as train operator? i dont think that is possible.
Like i mentioned, they could find a way to make it better, secured and safe and leave them alone on the hands of the owners.
However, the touts needed to be dealt with and that is where the law enforcement agent will come in, arrest any tout at sight and make sure face the law of the land.

Any type of business you do is risky, there is no guarantee you will make money, no matter how well it works for others.

If the government introduces more BRT and LAGBUS and people find it to be cheaper and those molue's are forced out of business because they cannot make profit, is that not a loss of livelihood on their part, too.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Kobojunkie: 8:43pm On Jun 16, 2009
bawomolo:

I don't think anyone is arguing with you that transportation should be a private initiative. Government subsidies or grants are however inevitable when it comes to transportation.

That is not the question though. If you read, you will see I am not against helping get rid of Molues but it is not Government's job to take on Molue drivers just so it can say the streets are rid of Molues. They serve a purpose for both driver and consumer. If we are calling on Government to hire them to save the day, we might as well ask why Government did not purchase stores and then hire all Hawkers in bid to get them off the street.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by bawomolo(m): 8:46pm On Jun 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

That is not the question though. If you read, you will see I am not against helping get rid of Molues but it is not Government's job to take on Molue drivers just so it can say the streets are rid of Molues. They serve a purpose for both driver and consumer. If we are calling on Government to hire them to save the day, we might as well ask why Government did not purchase stores and then hire all Hawkers in bid to get them off the street.

Oh i agree. Most people do as well
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by moneygurl: 9:01pm On Jun 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I am not sure you actually understand what I am getting at here. If we can be reasonable for a minute here, I am sure we can boat land on the same page in this.

Now, If the training is conditional, why would a Molue driver, knowing full well that his chances of getting a job post training is 50/50, have real incentive to leave his current job which he has done for years and has no problems with?

The Government already handles all the BRT buses currently. Purchasing more buses will require government SPENDING MORE OF OUR TAX MONEY on these buses. After this, Government would have to SPEND MORE OF OUR TAX MONEY on paying these new drivers. Is the current system Profitable? Is Government currently bringing in enough to take the burden of handling wages from the People onto BRT wholly at this point?

What happens to this system if anything happens to Fashola? Remember LSTC?

The partnership with private sector, according to you is too new for private companies to decide to take on even more, if you ask me. On the other hand, most of the current Molues are already managed by the private sector( If I am not mistaken, majority of the molue drivers are already employed by private companies who they drive for). What incentive is there for these companies to now decide to purchase brand new/better looking buses if up until now they have not felt to do just that?

What is LSTC?

And is the State government the one funding the BRT buses?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meet Tom Chigbo,the First Black President Of Cambridge University Student Union / Subsidy Probe: How SSS Burst $3m Bribery Scandal / There’s A Grand Christian Conspiracy Against Nigerian Muslims, JNI Claims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.