Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,376 members, 7,853,672 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 09:19 PM

FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others (3884 Views)

Block Sale Of Warplanes To Nigeria - New York Times Tells Obama / 2016 Budget: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes- Zubby Blog / Okonjo-Iweala Fires Back, As SERAP Calls For Her Probe Over Abacha N65bn Loot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by sweetgala(m): 10:49am On Jan 07, 2016
IbnSultaan:
Iyalode JF17 is also a 4th Gen jet comes with technology transfer for Nigeria to build the jets at
home and maybe even export,

Definitely, with the great relationship we have with both China and Pakistan and the slow sales of the JF 17 I can see them inviting us to join as a third beneficiary member, all we need to do is commit into adopting the plane as our main multirole aircraft.

I saw an airshow display the JF17 and the plane handles rather well, very similar to the F16 with added Russian dynamics, if I'm right it can do the cobra manoeuvre, can be adapted to western, Russian or Chinese avionics. Every western company was jousting to get the avionics contracts if I remember right.

It also packs a punch with latest Chinese radar system which has been proven to perform excellently against modern US stealth technology, and tge fire control BUS can accept literarily every munition, Russian, western, swedish and SA.

It's a perfect plane for Nigeria as it is not hyper complex to manufacture

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by sweetgala(m): 10:59am On Jan 07, 2016
CSTR2:
Jf-17 thunder? Are you kidding me?
For a country that has no detterence?
The priority should be getting those russian sukhois and get your defences sorted out first.
Technology transfer comes later.

What can the SU/MIG do any better against our existing threats or future ones. Unless you know of an impending war in Nigerian airspace, I don't see why we need radar defence or ground to air misile systems.

What we need right now are a ton of mig 35, ka50 and mi28 type attack choppers, a few heavy lift and transport planes, and a ton of small ground attack birds. Nompojnt wasting money on very expensive radar systems
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by sweetgala(m): 11:11am On Jan 07, 2016
DonBobes:

it beats me too!

We already have other squadrons , this is the bgin of a squadron, they would add to them as more money becomes available.

Things are tight, military spending is not at the top of our priority list
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by sweetgala(m): 11:14am On Jan 07, 2016
mikolo80:
you can see how Daft you all are, ordinary woman is making sense you're all here salivating on toys you can't maintain. abeg Missy your head de dia

If you lack knowledge just say, our poor maintenance culture in the air force and army was due to corruption, given such is at its end now. No General would be embezzling the funds marked down to train technicians, engineers and buy supplies.
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jan 07, 2016
Missy89:

What will the NAF be doing with 2-3 squadrons of jets?
Protecting Nigeria territorial air space n supporting troops at home n abroad

1 Like

Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jan 07, 2016
fineguy11:
a unit of SU 30 bomber cost between $30million-$40million,it wld take years before we're able to afford the funds to buy advance fighter craft...besides,nigeria isnt involved in any go-political tussle,so we dont need bombers,attact helicopters wld meet our domestic needs..
people like you are the reason Y NAF is its current condition. we need to plan for possibilities don't forget we have so many unstable neighbors n future military engagement

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jan 07, 2016
sweetgala:

Definitely, with the great relationship we have with both China and Pakistan and the slow sales of the JF 17 I can see them inviting us to join as a third beneficiary member, all we need to do is commit into adopting the plane as our main multirole aircraft.

I saw an airshow display if the JF17 and the plane handles rather well, very similar to the F16 with added Russian dynamics, if I'm right it can do the cobra manoeuvre, can be adapted to western, Russian or Chinese avionics. Every western company was jousting to get the avionics contracts if I remember right.

It also packs a punch with latest Chinese radar system which has been proven to perform excellently against modern US stealth technology, and tge fire control BUS can accept literarily every munition, Russian, western, swedish and SA.

JF 17 is cheape realible multirole sys
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by fineguy11(m): 12:59pm On Jan 07, 2016
IbnSultaan:

people like you are the reason Y NAF is its current condition. we need to plan for possibilities don't forget we have so many unstable neighbors n future military engagement
foreign policy determines the strenght of our military capabilities..nigeria is a non- alligned nation and our views as regards external strife is DIPLOMACY! unless our foreign doctrine changes, we have no cause for any future military engagement./advancement.do u even knw how much it cost to maintain a fleet of advanced fighters?.
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by Missy89(f): 12:59pm On Jan 07, 2016
IbnSultaan:
Protecting Nigeria territorial air space n supporting troops at home n abroad

Protecting nigerian airspace from who and supporting troops where abroad?

There is a diference between military necessity and unreasonable spending. The cost of maintaining 3 squadrons of 4th gen fighters aint cheap

If this is to fight boko haram, they should buy drones , close air support jets and gunships.
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jan 07, 2016
Missy89:

Protecting nigerian airspace from who and supporting troops where abroad?

There is a diference between military necessity and unreasonable spending. The cost of maintaining 3 squadrons of 4th gen fighters aint cheap

If this is to fight boko haram, they should buy drones , close air support jets and gunships.

. fineguy11 we are already using armed drones
FG base on limited funds is to acquire
10 units of Super Mukshak trainer aircraft
– 2 units of Mi-35M attack helicopters
– 3 units of JF17 Thunder multirole combat jet
to meet short term needs JF17 comes with technology transfer to build n sale if we shoe commitment, It is the best multirole fighter we can get for it's prize
From Libya to Mali n other unstable African states NGR face real threat.
chad has 4G fighter what happens after their president dies n rebels start up.

1 Like

Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by mikolo80: 2:29am On Jan 08, 2016
sweetgala:

If you lack knowledge just say, our poor maintenance culture in the air force and army was due to corruption, given such is at its end now. No General would be embezzling the funds marked down to train technicians, engineers and buy supplies.
Hahahahahahaha Hahahahahahaha at knowledge lacking
smallie, if I wasn't stubborn I'd be a squadron leader now so trust me when I say the airforce is my constituency (younger brother is an officer) and we are thanking God he not nominated to be a pilot
you cannot stop kwarrupshin with civilians talk less of Armed Forces. Buhari my man but his fight against corruption is dead on arrival. only good for media and sentimental propaganda. once he leaves in 2019,it will go back to normal. even now it's normal 10%and over invoicing that ppl will still be doing till Jesus come.
about the airforce the whole Nigeria budget cannot give us the airforce of our dream. just local champion status. most shoulder fired missiles will bring them down so why invest so much to feed your ego
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by Nobody: 6:53am On Jan 08, 2016
mikolo80:
de console yourself nothing go happen they will settle themselves they will plea bargain God will not come down to do what is your responsibility
Lol.. bro... hahaha... I like ds.. u just spoke d truth...
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by mikolo80: 7:06am On Jan 08, 2016
crixtex:

Lol.. bro... hahaha... I like ds.. u just spoke d truth...
the sooner s we face the truth the better
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by seunny4lif(m): 7:34am On Jan 08, 2016
grin
America and UK grin
Missy89:

why? who is violating Nigeria's airspace?
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by hadukwu1007: 8:40am On Jan 08, 2016
wen I read d types of weaponry(including warship/destroyer) dat z 2b delivered to Taiwan by d US @d price of $1.8b...it was den I shook my head in disappointment n anger cos no serious nation jokes wt itz security.
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by CSTR2: 2:05pm On Jan 11, 2016
sweetgala:

What can the SU/MIG do any better against our existing threats or future ones. Unless you know of an impending war in Nigerian airspace, I don't see why we need radar defence or ground to air misile systems.

What we need right now are a ton of mig 35, ka50 and mi28 type attack choppers, a few heavy lift and transport planes, and a ton of small ground attack birds. Nompojnt wasting money on very expensive radar systems
Threats don't give notice before they come.
Nigeria is currently surrounding by enemy nations of nations like chad with total air superiority over Nigeria.
Cameroon, another hostile nation is protected by French rafale. The gulf of guinea is becoming a more treacherous terrain which would soon elicit the attention of powers like france or even the US.
Sudan, Algeria, Ethiopia, and even angola who are massively up-arming, have Nigeria within striking range with their su-30s and given the global oil politics and African geo-politics, you can never take anything for granted.
If Nigeria begins to grow the way she ought to with a bullish economy in the mould of china, enemies would be created, and it takes a certain amount of deterrence to achieve that level and pace of economic growth with a peace of mind.
Btw,Nigeria is also angling for a UN permanent seat along with Algeria, Egypt and southafrica. And I am sure you know a robust military is a very serious criteria to be selected to play among the big boys.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by kayfra: 2:57pm On Jan 11, 2016
mikolo80:
defence from who exactly
wasting money on warplanes instead of tractors

Defense from Kanu grin cheesy
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by mikolo80: 2:07am On Jan 12, 2016
kayfra:

Defense from Kanu grin cheesy
you don't need sukhois to defend from Kanu
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by tsdarkside(m): 6:34am On Jan 12, 2016
IyaIode:
So we are still going to buy this pakistani JF thunder plane that sources its many spare parts from several countries. Is the SU too complicated for our airmen

well,,,if you have only little money,you make the best out of the little money you have...jf thunder sounds strong,like nns thunder...if you conbine the new jf thunders with the nns thunder,you would have a "atlantic-thunder-fleet"...
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by tsdarkside(m): 6:45am On Jan 12, 2016
mikolo80:
you can see how Daft you all are, ordinary woman is making sense you're all here salivating on toys you can't maintain. abeg Missy your head de dia

atleast we can defend you womens-lifes,thank you......
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by tsdarkside(m): 6:54am On Jan 12, 2016
sweetgala:

I saw an airshow display if the JF17 and the plane handles rather well, very similar to the F16 with added Russian dynamics, if I'm right it can do the cobra manoeuvre, can be adapted to western, Russian or Chinese avionics. Every western company was jousting to get the avionics contracts if I remember right.

i dont see why only the goverment should be purchasing weapons for our military...why dont our promis,obas,emirs,obis,millionaers,billionaers,people like dangote donate weapons to our army?...
this is how armies were funded in europe.....the elites bought their own weapons and donated it to the army...
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by Panzerfaust(m): 7:54am On Jan 12, 2016
mikolo80:
Another ass kisser trying to please a NL girl..what is wrong with having a well equipped Air Force. Many troops are dying cuz of lack of air cover and you are sitting here ass-licking a girls comment. Oloshi.
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by mikolo80: 8:48am On Jan 12, 2016
tsdarkside:

atleast we can defend you womens-lifes,thank you......
not with this strategy
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by tsdarkside(m): 9:52am On Jan 12, 2016
mikolo80:
not with this strategy

i dont care...in a world that sees black-people as animals,its better..i even say, nigeria needs atom-bombs.....
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by sweetgala(m): 9:55am On Jan 12, 2016
tsdarkside:

i dont see why only the goverment should be purchasing weapons for our military...why dont our promis,obas,emirs,obis,millionaers,billionaers,people like dangote donate weapons to our army?...
this is how armies were funded in europe.....the elites bought their own weapons and donated it to the army...

Most definitely not how modern armies ate funded, medieval maybe.

The only thing dangote and the likes need to do is invest in military hardware manufacturing in Nigeria. We need to privatise DICON because those lot have been ineffective.
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by tsdarkside(m): 10:04am On Jan 12, 2016
sweetgala:

Most definitely not how modern armies ate funded, medieval maybe.

The only thing dangote and the likes need to do is invest in military hardware manufacturing in Nigeria. We need to privatise DICON because those lot have been ineffective.

but you agree that nigeria is not strong enough in the moment to compete with industrial-nations...and if the industrial-nations deceide to invade us again like in the colonial times??...what should we do..??...dont tell me,that is not possible today....remember,irak,iran,afganistan,syria,libyaaa....??.... beter be ready than be sorry...

who told you it was only in medieval-times??...how do you think,europe could become so strong and conquer the ol world....this system is still working today for them....they just call it other names....
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by sweetgala(m): 1:41pm On Jan 12, 2016
tsdarkside:

but you agree that nigeria is not strong enough in the moment to compete with industrial-nations...and if the industrial-nations deceide to invade us again like in the colonial times??...what should we do..??...dont tell me,that is not possible today....remember,irak,iran,afganistan,syria,libyaaa....??.... beter be ready than be sorry...

who told you it was only in medieval-times??...how do you think,europe could become so strong and conquer the ol world....this system is still working today for them....they just call it other names....

True but even if we started investing now, unless we run into some kind of money and advance our technology to a reasonable level we are still small fry to them.

The united States and UK, France are in another military dimension to Nigeria. I think as long as we keep Russia and China close we are good for now.
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by mikolo80: 6:01pm On Jan 12, 2016
Panzerfaust:
Another ass kisser trying to please a NL girl..what is wrong with having a well equipped Air Force. Many troops are dying cuz of lack of air cover and you are sitting here ass-licking a girls comment. Oloshi.
first your father is the oloshi.
second I do not kiss asss cos that's gay
third I do not kiss women's asss especially
fourth when a woman is more adept at military strategy than you, you really don't want to be called PanzerFaust the puccy who got whipped by a girl.
what do you know about air cover
you just heard something and you're making noise.
if you don't know you ask instead of embarrassing yo'self.
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by Panzerfaust(m): 7:15pm On Jan 12, 2016
mikolo80:
first your father is the oloshi.
second I do not kiss asss cos that's gay
third I do not kiss women's asss especially
fourth when a woman is more adept at military strategy than you, you really don't want to be called PanzerFaust the puccy who got whipped by a girl.
what do you know about air cover
you just heard something and you're making noise.
if you don't know you ask instead of embarrassing yo'self.
Ass-kisser trying to save face. grin
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by mikolo80: 11:17pm On Jan 13, 2016
Panzerfaust:
Ass-kisser trying to save face. grin
save face? from who? you? where we sabi other than nairaland
just scary to think you'll be in charge of men and materiel someday and this is your thought process
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by mikolo80: 11:19pm On Jan 13, 2016
tsdarkside:

i dont care...in a world that sees black-people as animals,its better..i even say, nigeria needs atom-bombs.....
but with which budget bros with which budget. those planes cost o
Re: FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others by mikolo80: 11:23pm On Jan 13, 2016
tsdarkside:

and they'll continue to see us as animals if we keep wasting money on things we don't need

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Is Dr. Ogbonna, A Physician Managing Buhari's Health In London? / BREAKING: Ebonyi State Is On Fire Now, many feared dead / See Photos Of The Yar'adua Centre In Abuja FG Seized

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.