Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,770 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:12 PM

The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com (15478 Views)

Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You / The Benefits Of Working For Yourself (self- Employed) / 10 Guaranteed Ways To Make Money From Home - Marvejohndaily.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by vascable: 8:04pm On Jan 07, 2016
I have been blogging for the past 1/2 years, and I work from a home office. In this post, I’m going to rant about problems which I have faced while working from home.

I started my full-time blogging career in June of 2015. There was no real significance to the specific date at all – it just happened to be the time in my life when I decided to quit my job and pursue blogging as a career.

Most people believe that one of the greatest advantages of blogging as a profession is the opportunity to work from home. You can work at any time of the day or night, and you can even work in your pajamas. But working from home is not as great as everyone thinks it is! If you work from home, you know what I’m talking about. If you don’t, well – you’re about to find out.

In this post I will highlight some of the most significant challenges and issues faced by people who work from home. Your situation may be different from mine, but if you work from home I’m sure you can relate to many similarities.
Problems Working from Home

1) Work-work-work:

The type of work I do requires me to sit in front of a computer for at least 14 hours a day. Every month I have a minimum of four or five sleepless nights when I’m busy working all night. In fact, this post is the outcome of another of those sleepless nights when my body and mind are exhausted.

When I think about the amount of work I need to accomplish every day, it is quite overwhelming. Writing blog posts, editing guest posts, replying to comments, commenting on other blogs, staying active on social media sites, managing all of my blogs, managing the SEO of my blog network, planning and strategizing, working on client sites, communicating with clients, communicating with advertisers, answering email from readers or from other bloggers, two hours of daily feed reading, trying out new software, apps and plugins, managing finances, managing my rental property, and even more.

To be honest, despite my sleepless nights, I rarely achieve 60% of my total work goals for any given day. By the end of the day, my mind and body will not allow me to accomplish more, because they need rest. If only God would have allowed sleep to be an option!

2) Social life screwed:

One of the biggest problems I have faced while working from home is the negative impact on my social-life. There are many reasons for this, including differences that exist between people who work from an outside office and people who work from home. People who work outside of the home have a different lifestyle, and they usually come into contact with many people throughout the day. On the other hand, people like me who work from home spend a lot of time at home and do not have the same opportunities to meet people.

I can actually count how the number of people I have met in the past month. I may communicate with hundreds or even thousands of people online or over the phone, but I rarely meet more than ten people per month in person. (I’m not sure whether to blame my work or myself for this, but most likely it is a bit of both.)

In addition to the work I have to accomplish daily, there are many people who have expectations of me which need to be met. The readers of my blog expect new, high-quality content every day. People who work with me expect a space in which to do their work. My parents expect dedicated time for them, and even my body expects rest from me! The list goes on and on.

When I started my blogging career, I had few expectations or demands to meet. There once was a time when I would work only on weekdays, and on weekends I would go out and socialize. But in the past three years many things have changed. I frequently find myself working on a Saturday night when most people are enjoying the company of their friends and loved ones. Additionally, I have been living away from home for the past nine years, so my time to connect with family is limited by distance as well.

3) Frustration, frustration and more frustration:

Working from home and frustration come as a package deal. I never used to feel this way, but in the past couple of months I have felt the pressure building inside of me.

I miss meeting and hanging out with people. (I’m referring to real, face-to-face meetings here – not my online friends.)

It has been around 15 days since I returned from my trip to Thailand, and I have left my flat only three times. I have seen only five or six faces, and I’ve attended one lousy jazz concert at the Hard Rock Cafe (which only added more to my frustration!)

Imagine yourself being house-bound for almost 15 days, and then you go out. You feel like you’re in a different world.

When I go out after having been confined for a long period of time, I feel alienated and awkward. Meeting my friends after that is like an antidote has been given to me just as I was about to die!

4) Setting targets and achieving them:

I’m quite a planner and when it comes to work, I prefer doing it strategically. When you work from home independently however, no matter how much planning you do and no matter how focused and passionate you are, in time you can lose that energy and fall into the trenches of boredom. I do have about ten plans that I am working to execute, and every month I seem to add another three or four to the list. The only thing I am lacking in terms of the execution of these plans is TIME. I even have interview offers from some big names like Fosters and a couple of magazines, but I simply cannot find the time to finish the interviews.

5) Feelings and emotions:

Back in my college days, I used to be that guy who can find happiness in a river of sorrow. None of my friends ever saw me sad or discouraged. I loved everyone around me. I was a happy-go-lucky kind of guy.

These days, however, I can feel those joyous emotions falling away. Working 24*7 in front of a laptop is making me feel robotic. I feel detached from my own family and my close friends. I pray that I can work this out soon, or I fear my life will become “a journey of a workaholic”.

Office vs Home:

I have set up a small office in my home which is good enough for 4-5 people, but I have been considering moving to my own office. I was talking with my friend who is doing work similar to mine, and he moved to his own office last year. So I called him to learn about his experience with his own office, and here are some of his thoughts in his own words:

“When I moved to the office, for the first few months I used to reach the office in time, made everything perfect, completed work on time and everything was smooth. Probably I enjoyed working from office after 3 years of working from home. Though later on, my office arrival time shifted to 2 P.M from 10 A.M. And later on it turned out to be 3-4 days I go to office, else I would work from home.

Every year, twice I have to bribe the Police-walah, that comes as a complementary when you start your own office. I have to maintain the office and make sure everything is alright, maintain the team and meetings and work.

Initially you would enjoy it, but later on it will add to your frustration. Luckily my girlfriend is my partner, and she is a great manager. However, the running cost of my office is around $1300/month. If you’re asking for my suggestion: Work from home, and instead of investing in an office, hire quality people and let them work for you. Maybe like “work from home” or maybe you can let 2-3 guys come to your place to work. ”

Takeaway: There is always a girl behind every successful man!

So, this put me into a dilemma of office vs. no office. His point was quite sensible, which is why it is always good to consult with people who have personal experience, as they are often able to guide us well.

So here I was – I wanted to start an office, but the nature of my work (blogging, blogging and more blogging) doesn’t necessarily require an on-site team. Bloggers are creative people who are not inclined to be bound to a 9-7 job, (otherwise it would be more like I’m running a newspaper agency)!

At this point I remain unsure as to whether I need to move to an office or simply buy a plot, build a house and make an office with a separate entry on the same premises. But again, this will require lots of money, and to make lots of money you need to work more, and in order to work more you need to have time, and time is one thing that remains elusive. I never have enough of it!

I can feel that I am stressing myself now, and since that tends to lead to negative productivity, I will take a step back and continue this thought process at another time! So for now…Adios!!

What are some of the issues you face when working from home?

Feel free to share your thoughts!

Source:- http://marvejohndaily.com/the-beautiful-pain-of-working-from-home/

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by lifezone247(m): 11:45pm On Jan 07, 2016
Md thanks for barning the 2 above me to make me the ftc for the first time in 2016

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by Sholah96(m): 11:45pm On Jan 07, 2016
Brb
Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by Demmocrats(m): 11:47pm On Jan 07, 2016
OP you are correct but no pain no gain and you are feeling this way because you haven't started making a lot of money from your blogging business give it time you might be lucky and catch your Dasuki gate and start smiling to the bank and owing a house in banana island. grin grin grin

By he way whats the name of your blogging site.

2 Likes

Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by NaLaugh: 11:48pm On Jan 07, 2016
Yup!

Being self-employed, regardless of what you do, can be a crazy lifestyle.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by IamTheophilus(m): 11:48pm On Jan 07, 2016
Ok.

Op,..am sorry but can't read vhat bumf you posted up there..i'm

Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by autofreak2020(m): 11:49pm On Jan 07, 2016
Tony Elumelu Entrepreneurship Programme 2016 application has opened today. http:/tonyelumelufoundation.org/teep/ see you at the top.

You may want to join us.
www.nairaland.com/2850199/thread-tony-elumelu-enterprenuership-foundation#41761342
Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by Nobody: 11:49pm On Jan 07, 2016
How that one use concern us

U go blog sotey u go turn teacher

1 Like

Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by sotall(m): 11:50pm On Jan 07, 2016
ok
Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by Macclane(m): 11:50pm On Jan 07, 2016
Tins dey happen!
Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jan 07, 2016
You hate working from home? Try banking.... You'd appreciate your work-from-home job.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by Miracle4Sure: 11:51pm On Jan 07, 2016
Okiez
Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by Boeing777pilot: 11:51pm On Jan 07, 2016
lifezone247:
Md thanks for barning the 2 above me to make me the ftc for the first time in 2016

Barning indeed.
Congratulations on your notable achievement

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by albert263: 11:51pm On Jan 07, 2016
ok we have hear.
Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by An0nimus: 11:51pm On Jan 07, 2016
Pretty long article but somehow the writer was captivating enough to make me read it all.

12 Likes

Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by emmyw(m): 11:51pm On Jan 07, 2016
ok
Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by egedege1(m): 11:53pm On Jan 07, 2016
vascable:

First time on FP...... summarize next time
to avoid back to back hit wink
vascable:

First time on FP...... summarize next time
to avoid back to back hit
Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by officialteemi(m): 11:54pm On Jan 07, 2016
another hit...

1 Like

Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by costandi(m): 11:54pm On Jan 07, 2016
Lol...

Every post on your blog was a hit; from davido vs baby mama to olamide vs donjazzy to dansukigate. Yet youre frustrated and no N800 M mansion. Fk dat sh!t.

1 Like

Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jan 07, 2016
Op so so true ..
You work non stop its ridiculous . There is no closing time no start time .
Social life self ... Goes down the pan slowly as u hardly have time for other things ..

Not just blogging , so many types of jobs now require constant online supervision.. smiley

3 Likes

Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by refiner(f): 11:55pm On Jan 07, 2016
too long...can someone plz summarise for me...m such a lazy reader....
Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by slimgold123(f): 11:57pm On Jan 07, 2016
embarassed okay
Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by ShakurM(m): 11:57pm On Jan 07, 2016
refiner:
too long...can someone plz summarise for me...m such a lazy reader....
if na love Op talk, u no go complain o tongue.

Well, Summarily, Op is into blogging at home, his home is his office and he states the challenges he is facing and has faced which includes Frustration, working like a slave putting his hard work into the blogging, drawing the line between office n home, zero social life, no time to turn up, setting targets n aiming at them like point and kill. Lastly his gf standing by him, a great manager she is according to Op.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by vascable: 11:58pm On Jan 07, 2016
Demmocrats:
OP you are correct but no pain no gain and you are feeling this way because you haven't started making a lot of money from your blogging business give it time you might be lucky and catch your Dasuki gate and start smiling to the bank and owing a house in banana island. grin grin grin

not really a personal blog, buh more like a freelancer.. this one s just my personal blog were is hare my thoughts and experiences
Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by vascable: 11:58pm On Jan 07, 2016
Demmocrats:

not really a personal blog, buh more like a freelancer.. this one s just my personal blog were is hare my thoughts and experiences ,,,
Re: The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jan 07, 2016
undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Microsoft Hires Sam Altman And Greg Brockman / Paystack Sacks 33 Employees In Dubai & Europe - CEO / Akwa Ibom Workers Fast And Pray Over Unpaid Salaries. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.