Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,943 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

Are Yoruba Christians Really Dropping In Number To Islamization? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Yoruba Christians Really Dropping In Number To Islamization? (1213 Views)

Oyedepo: 'Plateau Killings, There Is An Islamization Agenda, War Looming'(Video) / I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles / Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Yoruba Christians Really Dropping In Number To Islamization? by ayobase(m): 2:18pm On Jan 09, 2016
Here is an issue that crosses across Family, Culture and Religion.

It started on this thread, www.nairaland.com/2845414/khadijah-didnt-mention-isis-when.

But truth be told, I have lived most of my early years in Lagos before porting to North. While I lived in Lagos, you consciously notice the difference between a Christian and a Muslim unlike in the North where you unconsciously notice - it is written all over.

In North, a Christian is always security conscious - Nobody knows the time and the hour. The sticker on one's car/bag, one's dress code, and the likes are pointers that can give one away.

Some Christians have gone to the extent of learning or cramming some Quran verses as insurance against days of reckoning.

The Notherners as well culturally discriminate within Islam - a Yoruba Muslim is an infidel. This is noticed when slaughtering begins.

In Lagos, and unlike in North, both religions can be involved in Marriages, Schools, Friendships, Businesses and others amicably.

Make I stop to dey talk, read related excerpts from that thread.

Onyejiuwaokoh:
Who impregnated Grace? I mean the father of Isa, Jihadi junior. Some people always say "religion doesn't matter in their tribe, you can be a Christian and your wife or children can be Moslems". it matters now, keep your family strong in the lord. The carelessness and nonchalant attitude of yoruba Christians makes them to be decreasing against the other religions. Presently, Yorubas are more than 70% Moslem, unlike before Christians were larger in number there.

TonySpike:

Where did you get your silly statistics of 70% from? Can you tell us why you feel Christianity is diminishing among Yorubas when facts on ground show otherwise? This story is about a British Nigerian who was radicalised right there in the UK. How does this correlate to what is happening in Yorubaland? You Easterners are just hilarious!

Onyejiuwaokoh:
It was very difficult get a prominent yoruba man who is not Moslem to run with Buhari in the last election. Until a mere commissioner was later found, I mean a former state commissioner(Osubade-PMB).

TonySpike:

This is a very weak premise, my friend. Give another valid premise to your assertion, "Yorubas Muslim are 70%....". Otherwise, stop throwing useless statistics around!

Validated:

Alh. Tinubu's wife - Christian
Alh. Fashola's wife - Christian
Alh. Ajimobi's wife - Christian
Alh. Amosu's wife - Christian
Not sure if Aregbe's wife is not also a Christian. Yoruba Christians women sef!! They love to be unequally yoked ...
Conversely, Mr. Fayemi, Mr. Mimiko and Mr. Fayose are married to Christians. Do you then have any fact to debunk the fact that Yoruba christians are being depopulated through marriage

I think that response shut TonySpike up.

chiefmidwife:

I hv stayed in yoruba they are nt serious with christianity but their traditions

The Question;
It is true that Yoruba Christians are depreciating in number in West due to intermarriages?

I, Ayobase don't think so though.
Re: Are Yoruba Christians Really Dropping In Number To Islamization? by ayobase(m): 2:22pm On Jan 09, 2016
I don't think any of them is being affected.
The Love conquers all.
Re: Are Yoruba Christians Really Dropping In Number To Islamization? by yeanka007: 2:43pm On Jan 09, 2016
It's not that Yoruba Christians are reducing but most Yoruba don't take religious so seriously as other tribes in Nigeria. I sometimes mistook some people in my street as Muslims but later find their are Christians.

It's our (Yoruba) level of tolerance that is high that's why Religion doesn't seem to be deep among the Yorubas.

Come to Lagos and see lots of Churches even if its not more than mosques.

Its in Yoruba land that people believe "We worship one God"

1 Like

Re: Are Yoruba Christians Really Dropping In Number To Islamization? by ibkgab001: 4:04pm On Jan 09, 2016
God is one
Re: Are Yoruba Christians Really Dropping In Number To Islamization? by TonySpike: 5:39am On Jan 11, 2016
ayobase:
Here is an issue that crosses across Family, Culture and Religion.

It started on this thread, www.nairaland.com/2845414/khadijah-didnt-mention-isis-when.

But truth be told, I have lived most of my early years in Lagos before porting to North. While I lived in Lagos, you consciously notice the difference between a Christian and a Muslim unlike in the North where you unconsciously notice - it is written all over.

In North, a Christian is always security conscious - Nobody knows the time and the hour. The sticker on one's car/bag, one's dress code, and the likes are pointers that can give one away.

Some Christians have gone to the extent of learning or cramming some Quran verses as insurance against days of reckoning.

The Notherners as well culturally discriminate within Islam - a Yoruba Muslim is an infidel. This is noticed when slaughtering begins.

In Lagos, and unlike in North, both religions can be involved in Marriages, Schools, Friendships, Businesses and others amicably.

Make I stop to dey talk, read related excerpts from that thread.

I think that response shut TonySpike up.

The Question;
It is true that Yoruba Christians are depreciating in number in West due to intermarriages?

I, Ayobase don't think so though.

I'm surprised you didn't quote all my comments on this thread. That guy was actually making a useless assertion and the guy that supported him was more foolish. How can you use marriages among Yoruba elites, most of which are very very moderate Muslims to judge the Yoruba race. The guy even mentioned Kayode Fayemi, who is a Christian to justify his flawed arguments. The truth is this: many Yoruba elites (Muslim and Christians) grant their children religious freedom. That's why you'll find a Muslim family where some kids convert to Christianity later in life. Yoruba were mainly traditionalists until 230 years ago, this is just about three generations ago! This is why foreign religion isn't so strictly obseved in Yorubaland.

1 Like

Re: Are Yoruba Christians Really Dropping In Number To Islamization? by tpiah2: 5:51am On Jan 11, 2016
I don't go around counting what people are doing, or which people are doing what, so, I don't know.
Re: Are Yoruba Christians Really Dropping In Number To Islamization? by anukulapo: 7:12am On Jan 11, 2016
Well,a random sampling on nairaland might work. I'll rather the tolerance than extremist violence

1 Like

Re: Are Yoruba Christians Really Dropping In Number To Islamization? by kevoh(m): 7:38am On Jan 11, 2016
I just believe the Yorubas in Lagos are more tolerant when it comes to Religion. All my years in Lagos, I never knew they was any big deal/difference between christians and muslims till I moved down North.

My extended Family (all in Lagos)has about 5 muslim women married to Christian men with their siblings automatically converting to Christians when they choose to stay at their Elder sister's house,so OP's argument using Fashola and Co is really flawed. It goes both ways actually.

Yorubas are more biased to traditional worship than the foreign Abrahamic faiths. Heck, we even have one claiming to be a ''Spiritual Atheist'' tongue (whatever that means) here on Nairaland. Go down to Cotonou and see the Yorubas there taking their Traditional practice more serious than their Lagos neighbours. They are open dedication to shrines over there, I guess the madness of Abrahamic faiths is yet to overtake them there. Lol
Re: Are Yoruba Christians Really Dropping In Number To Islamization? by ayobase(m): 10:13am On Jan 11, 2016
TonySpike:

I'm surprised you didn't quote all my comments on this thread.....

Maybe I arrived too early to have noticed more comments from you.

TonySpike:

........The truth is this: many Yoruba elites (Muslim and Christians) grant their children religious freedom. That's why you'll find a Muslim family where some kids convert to Christianity later in life. Yoruba were mainly traditionalists until 230 years ago, this is just about three generations ago! This is why foreign religion isn't so strictly obseved in Yorubaland.

Yeah.
Yorubas are literate and liberal, thus the freedom.
Re: Are Yoruba Christians Really Dropping In Number To Islamization? by ayobase(m): 10:18am On Jan 11, 2016
yeanka007:
It's not that Yoruba Christians are reducing but most Yoruba don't take religious so seriously as other tribes in Nigeria. I sometimes mistook some people in my street as Muslims but later find their are Christians.

It's our (Yoruba) level of tolerance that is high that's why Religion doesn't seem to be deep among the Yorubas.

Come to Lagos and see lots of Churches even if its not more than mosques.

Its in Yoruba land that people believe "We worship one God"

You see same person in church today and in mosque tomorrow. A mainstream you dare not think of in North.
Re: Are Yoruba Christians Really Dropping In Number To Islamization? by ayobase(m): 10:21am On Jan 11, 2016
kevoh:
..... so OP's argument using Fashola and Co is really flawed. ...
huh!

(1) (Reply)

Did Jesus Speak In Tongues? / Video: Mayor Bethlehem, The Capital Of Christmas, Greets Tb Joshua / Race Diversity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.