Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,335 members, 7,815,660 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light (4993 Views)

Ever Heard Of The Toyota RAV4 Electric? / See What This Guy Did To His Toyota Camry Pencil Light / The Toyota Land Cruiser That Is Faster Than A Lamborghini (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by Denn(m): 11:05pm On Jan 11, 2016
Nigerians, whilst not the best at making cars, have a very genius way of naming them.

They are not called those generic bland names like the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry or even Mercedes Benz. We give each model and design a specific name that stays etched, not on silver chromes strapped to the rear side of the cars from the factory, but in our minds and street parlance, the inventors, unknown and unsung.

It is either a 'V-Booth', 'Baby Boy', 'Bullet', 'Bull-Dog', 'E.O.D', 'Pencil Light', 'Tiny Light' and erm...'Big-for-nothing'. No body buys just a bland Accord here. Nobody.

Despite all the different import choices we have, one car brand and model stands out...The Toyota Camry XV20 which we call the Toyota Pencil Light, or 'tiny light' in some places. This Camry was manufactured between 1996 to 2001.

The demand for the 'Pencil Light' right from the time it debuted even up till now has been unprecedented in the history of used cars in Nigeria. Everybody wanted one. Bankers, Lecturers, Students, Civil Servants...everybody who could not afford a brand new Prado or a Lamborghini. This car has been so popular it could have been part of our old trio if it came in two decades earlier.

We would be reviewing why it was on the 'top 10 list' and some tips on its ownership.

https://dennautoworld./2016/01/11/the-brilliance-of-the-toyota-pencil-light/

1 Like

Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jan 11, 2016
How about you say hello to the “Air Force 1” ?

*In 50cent's voice* - 7 series BM, 6 series Benz, 24inches, Giovanni rims.

1 Like

Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by ayobase(m): 11:49pm On Jan 11, 2016
Picture will add more colour
Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by Denn(m): 7:25am On Jan 12, 2016
Ok
Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by DGD1(m): 8:39am On Jan 12, 2016
am a proud user of one, just can't get enough of it.

good job Mr denn
Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by Denn(m): 10:36am On Jan 12, 2016
DGD1:
am a proud user on one, just can't get enough of it.

good job Mr denn

Thanks boss
Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by diportivo: 12:21pm On Jan 12, 2016
Iv read the full write up

Very cool

Hope to read more

cool

1 Like

Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by Lagusta(m): 2:34pm On Jan 12, 2016
but the car is too boring joor....
give me a Honda and I'll pray for u!!!!!

6 Likes

Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by yimikaa: 4:00pm On Jan 12, 2016
Pencil light angry that car,.one cannot park in open space and your mind will be at rest.

That car and thieves are like bread and butter.

Though it's a very rugged,fuel efficient car.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by Denn(m): 4:48pm On Jan 12, 2016
diportivo:
Iv read the full write up

Very cool

Hope to read more

cool

Good to hear...thanks
Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by Denn(m): 4:49pm On Jan 12, 2016
yimikaa:
Pencil light angry that car,.one cannot park in open space and your mind will at rest.

That car and thieves are like bread and butter.

Though it's a very rugged,fuel efficient car.

You are right. It has a great clientele....even thieves love it.

There are ways to prevent its being stolen though
Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by yimikaa: 5:41pm On Jan 12, 2016
Denn:

You are right. It has a great clientele....even thieves love it.

There are ways to prevent its being stolen though

Please list the ways|methods to theft apart from pedal lock and vehicle tracker
Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by Denn(m): 6:37pm On Jan 12, 2016
yimikaa:

Please list the ways|methods to theft apart from pedal lock and vehicle tracker

I would be doing an article on comprehensive automobile security soon.

This would detail everything.

Thanks
Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by Exponental(m): 10:56am On Jan 13, 2016
I think it is a replacement for the Peugeot 504.
Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by Denn(m): 12:05pm On Jan 18, 2016
Exponental:

nice analogy...
Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jan 19, 2016
Exponental:

No, l think the 190 replaced 504, and the pencil lite took over from the 504
Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by cynhamscakes(f): 6:51am On Jan 24, 2016
Denn:

Thanks

Op please kindly share ways we can prevent the Pencil light from car thieves. I got one just two days ago and was advised to get a welder to make pedal lock for me.
I also saw one lock like that that connects the break pedal to the steering.

Please which should one go for? I would also like to install a car tracking system too but still searching for where to do it in Abuja.

The security the car has is the one that trips off the car even after you have activated it. It can cause the car to stop right in the middle of the road. Really want to educate myself on more reliable ways to protect my car.
Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by rockiedink(m): 12:24pm On Jan 24, 2016
Denn:

Thanks

Chairman, have you written this article? Some of us are waiting for it o!
Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by cornoil(m): 9:09pm On Jan 24, 2016
Though i use pedal or sometimes steering lock, but insurance is the best. You can sleep with both eyes closed
cynhamscakes:

Op please kindly share ways we can prevent the Pencil light from car thieves. I got one just two days ago and was advised to get a welder to make pedal lock for me.
I also saw one lock like that that connects the break pedal to the steering.

Please which should one go for? I would also like to install a car tracking system too but still searching for where to do it in Abuja.

The security the car has is the one that trips off the car even after you have activated it. It can cause the car to stop right in the middle of the road. Really want to educate myself on more reliable ways to protect my car.
Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by Denn(m): 9:50pm On Jan 24, 2016
rockiedink:

Chairman, have you written this article? Some of us are waiting for it o!

it will come up this new week.

cheers

As Promised, Please find below the link to the Article. A thread would be opened on this shortly.

Many thanks

http://dennautoworld.com/2016/01/25/pencil-preventing-theft/

1 Like

Re: The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light by Denn(m): 5:14am On Jan 29, 2016
cornoil:
Though i use pedal or sometimes steering lock, but insurance is the best. You can sleep with both eyes closed

You are right insurance is wonderful.

However with insurance, you would still spend time filing claim forms, allow the insurance company conduct their investigation and after some time get only a reimbursement for the value of the car after theft.

You could mitigate the risks with some simple precautionary steps.

www.dennautoworld.com

(1) (Reply)

Check Your Vehicle History And Get Complete VIN Report For FREE! / CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie / Dashboard Lay Now Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.