Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts - Investment (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts (19525 Views)

Munched Screen From MMM South Africa After The Freezing / MMM Mavro Freezing Has Been Cancelled / Account Freezing: MMM Reacts To Nigerians' Outbursts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by Mboi: 11:09am On Jan 13, 2016
Obidikejr:

Didn't you read where I say need more network providers? empower the private sector / individual to start up to cover up the loss.. So bcuz they are helping us cub unemployment that gives them the authority to milk us dry right? Guy reason before u post, oya go and tell them to employ the unemployed 10mil youths or pack their bags and go. What about the over 2000 they fire when they acquired visafone few weeks ago, employment my foot
You just spoke like just a Nigerian which you are. MTN is one of the highest employers of labour I. Nigeria. If MTN leaves or stop operation, as an economist or ur banker the impact on Nigerian economy? You people just talk without thinking. You said you need more service providers so Airrel, Etisalst, Glo are not service providers? You people keep shouting MTN milking you dry and all that, oga break your MTN sim and change to other network. Did they force you to stay and use MTN?
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by nex(m): 11:34am On Jan 13, 2016
UrbanMystique:
it's you that have comprehension problem..

The agf wants to freeze mtn's account because he believed mtn is trying to use the court case to buy time to move all the money it has in 21 Nigerian banks to other banks outside Nigeria.. Which the agf and is trying to prevent ...cos it has happened before where mtn moved over 7.7 billion dollars out of nigeria within a year.
Freezing the account in the case means MTn won't be able to move the money out of Nigeria until the case is concluded.

Read and understand before you run comment so as not to look foolish.

MTN has always repatriated its profits abroad. That was the leverage that Government gave it when they were coming to set up the largest telecommunications network that your Government failed to set up.

Now they have been fined, and they have challenged the fine in court. Till the court forces them to pay that fine, they must continue their business as usual. Nigeria which from the very beginning, gave MTN the right to repatriate all it's earnings, cannot now come on the suspicion of inability to pay fines, and use that to flout its own agreement.

It's a shame that the AGF has to be schooled by a court judge on this.
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by nex(m): 11:55am On Jan 13, 2016
Mboi:

You just spoke like just a Nigerian which you are. MTN is one of the highest employers of labour I. Nigeria. If MTN leaves or stop operation, as an economist or ur banker the impact on Nigerian economy? You people just talk without thinking. You said you need more service providers so Airrel, Etisalst, Glo are not service providers? You people keep shouting MTN milking you dry and all that, oga break your MTN sim and change to other network. Did they force you to stay and use MTN?

You see, it is very difficult to find people like yourself and I, who are willing to tell the truth, no matter what side we are on.

I'm a businessman, and I know how frustrating and to a large extent, destructive these regulatory agencies can be.

MTN is not the first GSM company in Nigeria, yet are now the largest. It takes sheer resilience, and dedication to be that successful in this environment. If it was easy, why didn't Airtel which was the first network, become the largest network? Why doesn't Etisalat which has that Arab Money become the largest network in Nigeria? What of Globacom? MTel which was the Government's own attempt collapsed shortly after it was launched. Now, those who have been a shining light in the Nigerian telecommunications sector, you want to punish them!

Nigerians are not even considering the job losses, the economic slump, the investor skepticism that will follow. We will be the ones who will suffer it!
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by nex(m): 12:03pm On Jan 13, 2016
odeotito:
$7.7 billion! That was money that could have stayed in our financial system were mtel hands not tied behind its back by corrupt and unpatriotic Nigerians while mtn raked in the money. What is status quo ante bellum here? Does it envisage MTN staying transactions in re its bank account in the interim. Mareva is an equitable relief meant to ensure the applying party is not irredeemably left with a bloodied nose. A course of conduct has been established! There goes our courts again!

For God sake! If you go to South Africa to run your business, will your primary aim be to keep money in their financial system?! MTN came here to make money, and our Government gave them permission from day 1, to take their profits home. Now you're screaming that $7.7 billion has been sent by MTN back to South Africa. I don't see anyone crying about the $15 billion MTN has reinvested in Nigeria!

The plain truth about this MTN situation is that our Government has a N1 trillion deficit in its budget, which is currently missing by the way, and is willing to milk it out of anyone.
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jan 13, 2016
nex:

For God sake! If you go to South Africa to run your business, will your primary aim be to keep money in their financial system?! MTN came here to make money, and our Government gave them permission from day 1, to take their profits home. Now you're screaming that $7.7 billion has been sent by MTN back to South Africa. I don't see anyone crying about the $15 billion MTN has reinvested in Nigeria!

The plain truth about this MTN situation is that our Government has a N1 trillion deficit in its budget, which is currently missing by the way, and is willing to milk it out of anyone.

You completely missed my point! Incontestable is the right of a business outfit to make profit and do with it what it likes so long as it is within all that is not illegal. My thrust was to highlight the fact that corruption has robbed us of the opportunity to leverage on our large market to be the one (as opposed to MTN/SA) to take the economic benefit the telecommunications business in Nigeria so obviously holds!
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by masseratti: 5:45pm On Jan 13, 2016
victorels:

Just take a walk if you don't. I wont post it if I don't.
OK how does mtn out put affect tax payable?

Mtn bought visafone asset and liability,it didn't liquidate visafone.

1 Like

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jan 13, 2016
masseratti:
OK how does mtn out put affect tax payable?

Mtn bought visafone asset and liability,it didn't liquidate visafone.

You pay tax from your profit. MTN's output is it her income/profit.

What is liquidation so I can understand what you mean 'Mtn bought visafone asset and liability,it didn't liquidate visafone'
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by masseratti: 2:12am On Jan 14, 2016
victorels:

You pay tax from your profit. MTN's output is it her income/profit.

What is liquidation so I can understand what you mean 'Mtn bought visafone asset and liability,it didn't liquidate visafone'
Oga park well, u know nothing about what u r talking about, are you aware that AOL bought Turner group the owners of can? Did they liquidate CNN of Turner? Are you aware that they split after few years and Turner is still in existence and AOL is no more in existence, liquidate
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by nex(m): 5:58am On Jan 15, 2016
The truth is that the Federal Government has messed up big time by backing NCC on this one. NCC has no right to fine anyone billions of dollars for not registering SIMs, when NCC itself had in fact asked Federal Government for N6.1 billion to register ALL SIMs, and they got the money. So what is all this about.

The NCC should account for why it did not register ALL Nigerian SIMs with the N6.1 billion taxpayers money it collected from the Senate, and if it can't then it should be fined N200,000 x 150,000,000 =N30,000,000,000,000 (Thirty Trillion Naira).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Stock Market Among The Top 5 Global Performers In 2017: CNN / How Profitable Is "Tipper" And How Much Does A Normal Tipper Cost? / Which Business Can I Invest N3million That Will Yield Me 10% Monthly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.