Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:20 AM

My Personal Experience Of House Hunting In Lagos State, With Lessons - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Personal Experience Of House Hunting In Lagos State, With Lessons (1352 Views)

5 Things To Do Before House Hunting / Bitter Experience Of A Landlord Whose Tenants Refused To Pay 3 Yrs Rent Or Quit / House Hunting Is More Stressful Than Husband Hunting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Personal Experience Of House Hunting In Lagos State, With Lessons by Nobody: 12:57am On Jan 13, 2016
After viewing House Hunting Experiences, House Renovation Projects and other Reality Programs related to Housing on Style Network and
HGTV, i deemed it fit upon myself to take this experience down to
Lagos.
I decided to start saving
30% of my Salary to buy my dream property which is a 5-bedroom duplex.
I finally got upto 25 million which i put into use in pursuing my
dreams. I never knew i was indirectly welcoming Heavy Stress into my life.
The beginning of my troubles was when i contacted a Real Estate Agent on securing the property, a deal was made and i paid some specified amount of money into his account.
The guy who claimed to be an expert was finally a quark. The questions he puts up to me were so suspicious, that when i started
investigating, i found out that he had earlier sold the property to
three other people . He had given them fake documents in exchange for their money.
When everything was now sorted out, after a number of times in court, and i was now granted the legal owner of the property cox i got the original papers to it. It was now time for me to start the renovation process.
Then came the Omo Onile ( sons of the soil) problem. They kept
extorting money from me and from people that came to work for me for activities like Painting, Interlocking, tiling and few other
activities. It was my Lawyer and my Uncle who is in the Nigerian Army, that helped intervene on my behalf.
Now, I’ve been living in the building for seven years, but when i remember the stress i went through when securing the property, i just shake my hair and sigh.
My Experience on that, made me set up 10 commandments for anyone about to undergo the House Hunting Process.
RULE 1- Thou Shalt have a Budget.
RULE 2- Thou Shalt not buy a Land/Property without demanding for the
Documents that the Owner(s) Possess.
RULE 3- Thou Shalt Carry Out a Proper Land/Property Verification Search.
RULE 4- Thou Shalt always Involve Professionals in Land/Property
Matters before you buy a land/Property.
RULE 5- Thou Shalt not buy a Land/Property via the Internet or through Newspapers without Viewing the land/Property physically.
RULE 6- Thou Shalt not buy a land that smells of trouble.
RULE 7- Thou Shalt not pay for any Landed Transaction in Cash.
RULE 8- Thou Shalt not ever listen to a land seller opinions about the
title of land they possess without you verifying it.
RULE 9- Thou Shalt put all their Landed Transaction Details in Writing.
RULE 10- Thou Shalt take possession of the land you bought immediately.
I express my profound gratitude to the initiators and brains behind
the Online Property and Real Estate marketplace springing up in Lagos, a place which is on the verge of having its own silicon valley. I also wanna say a big thank you to the Lagos
State Government for their Tenancy Law.
I see this various leverage as a tool that will help alleviate the stress involved in house hunting for both the prospective tenants, estate agents and the Landlords.
– Tim Chukwunwogor
http://starttells.com/2015/09/17/my-personal-experience-of-house-hunting-in-lagos-state/

Re: My Personal Experience Of House Hunting In Lagos State, With Lessons by Nobody: 12:57am On Jan 13, 2016
Cc Lalasticlala
Re: My Personal Experience Of House Hunting In Lagos State, With Lessons by ayindepremier: 1:02am On Jan 13, 2016
Are you hunting for rats? are you from Benue?
There is lasa fever!
sorry, I didn't read your testimony yet, how can I delete my typos and rewrite??
Re: My Personal Experience Of House Hunting In Lagos State, With Lessons by amanikondo: 3:57am On Jan 13, 2016
What is the moral of the story grin?
Re: My Personal Experience Of House Hunting In Lagos State, With Lessons by drkay(m): 5:03am On Jan 13, 2016
Thanks for those rules. These mayn't be enough in some cases as omonile's has to be duly informed and they must be settled too. I did something when I bought a land recently, the idea was suggested by my wife actually. An elderly woman who shud be in her late 70's sold her land to me. We paid for the land in cash but we got the service of a good photographer who made comprehensive pictorial and video coverage documentation when mama was thumb printing (illiterate) and each of the children signing. the site was covered with the neighborhood and the old woman even prayed for the new owner and spent a lengthy period to course any of her generation born or unborn who tried to disturb me on the land in future as she handed the document to me before being driven away by the children. She warned the children not to visit the site again for anything. Money is a stupid intoxicator, mama almost speak in tongue when she sight 800k being paid in cash for a she bought at 75 naira 'some years ago' .
Re: My Personal Experience Of House Hunting In Lagos State, With Lessons by bethnals: 11:38am On Jun 29, 2019
House hunting in Abuja, like elsewhere in Nigeria, can be tough. But if you follow a few basic steps life becomes easier.

The important things to consider are: budget, location, property specifications and finding the right agent.

More here:

https://www.nigeriapropertyforum.com/t/house-hunting-in-abuja-nigeria-things-to-consider/357
Re: My Personal Experience Of House Hunting In Lagos State, With Lessons by GidiHausAgent(m): 8:12pm On Aug 23, 2021
House hunting on the island?

We are the the best contact for seamless transactions

Visit on www.lagosfinder.com

(1) (Reply)

Original Imported Security Doors. ( Sales& Supply) / How Much Would It Cost To Build A Luxury Four Bed Room Bungalow? / Decorative Stamped Concrete for Drive Ways, Walk Ways, Pools PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.