Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,972 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. (8730 Views)

How I Built My Faith In God / God Is Dead. The Real Truth / Girl Uses Her School Fees To Sow Seed Of Faith In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by EreluY(f): 10:36pm On Jan 14, 2016
[size=16pt]0.0% of Icelanders 25 years or younger believe God created the world, new poll reveals[/size]

Iceland seems to be on its way to becoming an even more secular nation, according to a new poll. Less than half of Icelanders claim they are religious and more than 40% of young Icelanders identify as atheist. Remarkably the poll failed to find young Icelanders who accept the creation story of the Bible. 93.9% of Icelanders younger than 25 believed the world was created in the big bang, 6.1% either had no opinion or thought it had come into existence through some other means and 0.0% believed it had been created by God.

Why has the ancient Sumerian religion Zuism become the fastest growing religion in Iceland?
The poll, which was conducted by the polling firm Maskína on behalf of Siðmennt, The Icelandic Ethical Humanist Association, an association of Icelandic atheists, found that 46.4% of Icelanders identify as religious, which is the lowest figure to date.
Younger people and inhabitants of Reykjavík are least religious

Older people are far more likely to profess religious beliefs and to identify as Christian than those who are younger. 80.6% of those older than 55 identified as Christian and only 11.8% said they were atheists. At the same time 40.5% of people who were 25 years or younger said they were atheists, and only 42% said they were Christian. Traditional Christian beliefs also seem more common outside of Reykjavík, where 77-90% of people identified as Christian and 7.1-18 were atheists, compared to 56.2% of people in Reykjavík who identified as Christian and 31.4% as atheist.

0.0% of people younger than 25 believe God created the world
The poll found an even more dramatic difference between different generations when it probed how people believed the world had been created. Of those younger than 25 93.9% said the world had been created in the big bang and 0.0% believed God had created the world. 77.7% of those between 25 and 44 years old believed the world had been created in the big bang and 10.1% believed God had created the world. In all but the oldest age category a majority accepted the big-bang theory. Only 46.1% of those older than 55 believed in the big bang, and nearly a fourth, 24.5% believed God had created the world.

People in the oldest category were also most unsure about the origins of existence, as 16.6% of those older than 55 saying they either didn’t know or had no opinion on the origin of the world.

Gospel of Christ’s kindness trumps “religious freedom”: The Icelandic Lutheran Church to perform same-sex marriages
Growing support for separation of Church and State
The poll also found a growing percentage of Icelanders support the full separation of church and state. Out of those who expressed an opinion on the subject 72% supported the full separation of church and state and 28% oppose the separation of church and state. Currently the Icelandic constitution stipulates that the state church of Iceland is the Icelandic Evangelical Lutheran Church.

2 Likes

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Tocheagle(m): 11:11pm On Jan 14, 2016
One Day They Will Be Forced To Acknowledge Their creator

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Fadman4real(m): 11:21pm On Jan 14, 2016
Just because you do not believe that HIV is real doesn't make it unreal.

People refusing to believe in God doesn't change d fact that God is real.

3 Likes

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Godwin2016: 12:19am On Jan 15, 2016
Fadman4real:

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by fedex01: 2:28am On Jan 15, 2016
Europeans are smart and educated. They wouldn't believe in things like bible which have been proven to be false by their own European scholars and researchers like Dr Bart Erhman (the single greatest biblical scholar alive today. Only man to have read ALL of the biblical texts available to humanity. He spend 30 years of his life studying ancient and new biblical texts as a christian scholar. He arrived at the conclusion that bible of today is corrupted and distorted version and there's no original bible left in the world).

Look him up.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Nobody: 3:51am On Jan 15, 2016
fedex01:
Europeans are smart and educated. They wouldn't believe in things like bible which have been proven to be false by their own European scholars and researchers like Dr Bart Erhman (the single greatest biblical scholar alive today. Only man to have read ALL of the biblical texts available to humanity. He spend 30 years of his life studying ancient and new biblical texts as a christian scholar. He arrived at the conclusion that bible of today is corrupted and distorted version and there's no original bible left in the world).

Look him up.

You have not expressed any original thought. Faith is a very personal thing (if u have any), don't base it on someone else's ramblings.
Can u indeed confidently state what u believe and with 100% certainty defend your reasons......personally. You sound like ' I don't believe, because Dr sosososo does not'.

And why the apparent overstatements and exaggerations of the man's credentials?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Nobody: 5:36am On Jan 15, 2016
EreluY:
[size=16pt]0.0% of Icelanders 25 years or younger believe God created the world, new poll reveals[/size]

Summary of your post:

we in Nigeria should abandon God because people in iceland don't believe in Him. embarassed
Because some young delinquents in iceland say that God does not exist, we should do same. embarassed
Naah! No way.

"Eighty and six years have I served Christ, nor has He ever done me any harm. How, then, could I blaspheme my King who saved Me?....I bless Thee for deigning me worthy of this day and this hour that I may be among Thy martyrs and drink the cup of my Lord Jesus Christ"
Polycarp

"Let us, therefore, foresake the vanity of the crowd and their false teachings, and turn back to the word delivered to us from the beginning"
Polycarp

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Slikbae: 6:58am On Jan 15, 2016
thousands and thousands of scholars , archaeologistists and witnesses have come forth to prove that the bible is indeed infallible and holds truth, with so many ancient biblical artifacts uncovered and you sit here to say this crap?

Believe whatever you want to. You also know that many people including scientists, have proven that the biblical hell fire is real right? Keep living in denial. Unlike Islam, Christianity isn't by force. You can keep your faith, no one will ever force you to convert.
fedex01:

Look him up.

3 Likes

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Slikbae: 7:08am On Jan 15, 2016
Iceland is a negligible country of about 300k people. A country where the majority of the population is not enlightened. I cannot base my faith on their opinion which invariably doesn't count.

1 Like

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by lepasharon(f): 7:14am On Jan 15, 2016
Fadman4real:

Just Because YOU believe in a God doesn't make it real

2 Likes

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Nobody: 7:20am On Jan 15, 2016
these beliefs and no beliefs dey put money for bank?
abeg leave matter for Mathias..
the universe will take care of itself.

1 Like

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by fedex01: 7:21am On Jan 15, 2016
Slikbae:
thousands and thousands of scholars , archaeologistists and witnesses have come forth to prove that the bible is indeed infallible and holds truth, with so many ancient biblical artifacts uncovered and you sit here to say this crap?

Wrong. Those are just missionary propaganda to fool what they consider "lower people" (Nigerians like you).

I live in the United States--over here, almost all of the major scholars and scientists agree that bible isn't the word that can be attributed to god. Bible has been corrupted. We have hard evidence of that. There are thousands of mistakes within bible passages and difference bible manuscripts say different things. How to know which one is truth? No idea cuz we can't say which is right and which is wrong.

That's why people are leaving christianity in droves here. Not because of emotions, but because of hard evidence.

Sorry but you should search for truth in light of evidence rather than just sticking to one thing because thats what you identify with. God wants us to find HIM and HIS truth right? Then go with the evidence.

Why don't you watch some of Dr Bart Erhman's debates with other christian scholars? He totally dismantles them with evidence and even they agree with his findings that bible has indeed been corrupted. Even CATHOLIC CHURCH now agrees with this stance that bible has been corrupted over the years.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Fadman4real(m): 7:24am On Jan 15, 2016
lepasharon:

Just Because YOU believe in a God doesn't make it real

Same as not believing doesn't make God unreal. What exactly is your point, not believing or believing doesn't change whether he is real or not.
Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by plaetton: 7:37am On Jan 15, 2016
accountable01:

You have not expressed any original thought. Faith is a very personal thing (if u have any), don't base it on someone else's ramblings.
Can u indeed confidently state what u believe and with 100% certainty defend your reasons......personally. You sound like ' I don't believe, because Dr sosososo does not'.

And why the apparent overstatements and exaggerations of the man's credentials?

But why is faith in myth so much pronounced among semi-primitive peoples in Africa with very low standards of education ?
Isn't that correlation that should stand out?

How are we in Africa better than the Europeans who don't believe all the religious crap that we do?

If you look and compare the quality of education in Iceland and Nigeria, it would become glaringly obvious that their brains and thinking faculties develop far far different from ours, here in this country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Fadman4real(m): 7:53am On Jan 15, 2016
plaetton:

But why is faith in myth so much pronounced among semi-primitive peoples in Africa with very low standards of education ?

How are we in Africa better than the Europeans who don't believe all the religious crap that we do?

If you look and compare the quality of education in Iceland and Nigeria, it would become glaringly obvious that their brains and thinking faculties develop far far different from ours, here in this country.

Iceland is a country of just over 300k people so aw can u compare it with a country of over 140 million people.
Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by onetrack(m): 7:53am On Jan 15, 2016
fedex01:

I live in the United States--over here, almost all of the major scholars and scientists agree that bible isn't the word that can be attributed to god. Bible has been corrupted. We have hard evidence of that. There are thousands of mistakes within bible passages and difference bible manuscripts say different things. How to know which one is truth? No idea cuz we can't say which is right and which is wrong.

I wouldn't say the Bible is corrupted because the whole story was made up in the first place. There is no true 'myth', therefore any version can be considered correct. Jesus, if he existed, was just a guy who claimed to be the messiah, like some other people who made the same claim. But all this other stuff about virgin birth and miracles and 'son of god' is just nonsense.

1 Like

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Nobody: 7:55am On Jan 15, 2016
fedex01:

Wrong. Those are just missionary propaganda to fool what they consider "lower people" (Nigerians like you).

That's why people are leaving christianity in droves here. Not because of emotions, but because of hard evidence.

Sorry but you should search for truth in light of evidence rather than just sticking to one thing because thats what you identify with. God wants us to find HIM and HIS truth right? Then go with the evidence.

Why don't you watch some of Dr Bart Erhman's debates with other christian scholars? He totally dismantles them with evidence and even they agree with his findings that bible has indeed been corrupted. Even CATHOLIC CHURCH now agrees with this stance that bible has been corrupted over the years.

Referring us to the same means by which you lost ur faith?
U live in the united states and people there no longer believe so u also stopped believing.
Say something serious, please!

I believe in God because He is real. I experience Him daily. That is exactly what Christianity is about, we are called into fellowship with God.

'That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ'
Christianity is not believing some ancient historically accounts but fellowship with the father. He has not called us to believe without evidence or follow blindly but
' taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him'( ps 34:cool
U have never experienced God, you have never known the thrill of supernatural deliverance and answered prayers, u have not known him as a reality a friend that cares and shares. U have not known the deep satisfaction of His presence when all cares seem to matter no more.
But I have.
Know this certainly today my friend, YOU CAN NEVER CONFUSE OR DECEIVE A MAN WHO HAS A GENUINE ENCOUNTER WITH JESUS.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Breakdbond: 8:05am On Jan 15, 2016
Slikbae:
Iceland is a negligible country of about 300k people. A country where the majority of the population is not enlightened. I cannot base my faith on their opinion which invariably doesn't count.

Lol!! How enlightened are you to believe that a donkey spoke as proclaimed in a book called "the bible"

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by plaetton: 8:05am On Jan 15, 2016
Fadman4real:

Iceland is a country of just over 300k people so aw can u compare it with a country of over 140 million people.

What's your point?
That a population of 300,000 is too small a sample from which to make a scientific study?

Besides, Iceland's social and religious attitudes reflect the same attitudes throughout the Scandinavian countries and greater Europe.

The real joke is that semi-primitive Africans, duped into middle East junk religions, delude themselves that they know and understand more about the mechanics of the universe than those who actually do the rigorous work of scientific learning.

1 Like

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Nobody: 8:08am On Jan 15, 2016
plaetton:

The answer is simple
*[ Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe" 1 corin1:20
God is not found through much learning and higher education.God help you.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by plaetton: 8:09am On Jan 15, 2016
accountable01:

Referring us to the same means by which you lost ur faith?
U live in the united states and people there no longer believe so u also stopped believing.
Say something serious, please!

I believe in God because He is real. I experience Him daily. That is exactly what Christianity is about, we are called into fellowship with God.

'That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ'
Christianity is not believing some ancient historically accounts but fellowship with the father. He has not called us to believe without evidence or follow blindly but
' taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him'( ps 34:cool
U have never experienced God, you have never known the thrill of supernatural deliverance and answered prayers, u have not known him as a reality a friend that cares and shares. U have not known the deep satisfaction of His presence when all cares seem to matter no more.
But I have.
Know this certainly today my friend, YOU CAN NEVER CONFUSE OR DECEIVE A MAN WHO HAS A GENUINE ENCOUNTER WITH JESUS.

Yes, an encounter with "Jesus ".

Hhhhm.
I have heard that name before.

Wait,. Wasn't it the name of the first trans-atlantic SLAVESHIP? shocked

How ironic, how poignant.
undecided

2 Likes

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by plaetton: 8:11am On Jan 15, 2016
accountable01:

The answer is simple
*[ Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe" 1 corin1:20
God is not found through much learning and higher education.God help you.

So Africans are wiser than the foolish Europeans?
Is that your point ?

1 Like

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Scholar8200(m): 8:17am On Jan 15, 2016
fedex01:

I live in the United States--over here, almost all of the major scholars and scientists agree that bible isn't the word that can be attributed to god. Bible has been corrupted. We have hard evidence of that.
But that was the same Bible that broughT about the First and Second Awakenings in America! Lives were transformed by those who believed the same Bible just as it happened to those recorded in the Bible who believed. In what area has it been corrupted then? What then should be happening to those that believe that is not happening because the Bible was corrupted? America will glory in her founding fathers and past generations but will rebel against any of their legacies that point Godwards, that is not surprising.

Archaeologists claim to find evolutions missing link, they believe; archaeologists find artefacts confirming Bible records , it becomes propaganda; places and people who have these records as their history are here with us what then?

There are thousands of mistakes within bible passages and difference bible manuscripts say different things. How to know which one is truth?
pls since you have heard this man yourself, enumerate some of these 'thousand'mistakes' This same excuse was used in another form by Israel: we dont know what happened to Moses so let's forsake God, make an idol and have sex parties to it (like they must have seen in Egypt and was their real intention else were there not other decent course of action? Was the God that rescued them dead?);
And is the same excuse used by muslims,''the Bible is corrupted!'' Pray, by who? For what intent? Do deceivers now deal in peace, righteousness, love, holiness of life, love for enemies , respect for constituted authorities etc?

Do vouchsafe us some hard evidences.

which evidence?

here lies the real propaganda in my opinion. It seems those shows are stage managed.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Scholar8200(m): 8:23am On Jan 15, 2016
Breakdbond:

Lol!! How enlightened are you to believe that a donkey spoke as proclaimed in a book called "the bible"
pls do you have any scientific reason why, of all the animals, only parrots talk? Now if i believe the God of the Bible created all things will it be absurd that He that gave that ability to the Parrot will temporarily do same for any animal if He so desires?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Breakdbond: 8:34am On Jan 15, 2016
Scholar8200:
pls do you have any scientific reason why, of all the animals, only parrots talk? Now if i believe the God of the Bible created all things will it be absurd that He that gave that ability to the Parrot will temporarily do same for any animal if He so desires?

Lol @ temporarily..My dog just spoke to me, guess what she said, "Sir, this scholar8200 needs to read "how to think by common sense"", I wasn't marvelled Mickey actually spoke temporarily!!!

1 Like

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Slikbae: 8:35am On Jan 15, 2016
How enlightened are you to believe in the big bang. Scholar8200 just gave you a perfect reply, I need not waste my time no more
Breakdbond:

2 Likes

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Breakdbond: 8:44am On Jan 15, 2016
Slikbae:
How enlightened are you to believe in the big bang. Scholar8200 just gave you a perfect reply, I need not waste my time no more

Lol and who says I believe the big bang?? Smh
Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Slikbae: 8:49am On Jan 15, 2016
Islam has turned your brain upside down that you can't reason for yourself anymore. Archeologists with their teams that I have been watching on discovery since I was a kid?? propaganda?? seriously, you need help? Artefacts that are out there for the world to see.Oooh!! did you not read the part where I said witnesses came forth to prove that indeed those biblical stories truly occurred?

You're not the only who's been in U.S. I'm very well traveled too, and of course I study to show myself approved.The bible has been proven repeatedly to be the infallible word of God.

Manuscripts are not needed in Christianity. We are not as confused as the Muslims who practice al taquiya and read hadith's all day. The bible is the "only" accepted book in Christianity.

You should watch NatGeo or Disc or use YouTube more. More often than not, you'll see archeologists busy uncovering artefacts about the biblical stories. Don't continue being in delusion.
fedex01:

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Slikbae: 9:10am On Jan 15, 2016
the folly in atheism is already in a league of its own!
Breakdbond:

Lol and who says I believe the big bang?? Smh

1 Like

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by Scholar8200(m): 9:22am On Jan 15, 2016
Breakdbond:

Lol @ temporarily..My dog just spoke to me, guess what she said, "Sir, this scholar8200 needs to read "how to think by common sense"", I wasn't marvelled Mickey actually spoke temporarily!!!
Quite wry; now to my question..
Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by twosquare(m): 9:28am On Jan 15, 2016
God is not dead, men are the ones who are dead!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: God Is Dead - The Abandonment Of Faith In Europe. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:43am On Jan 15, 2016
Scholar8200:
But that was the same Bible that broughT about the First and Second Awakenings in America! Lives were transformed by those who believed the same Bible just as it happened to those recorded in the Bible who believed. In what area has it been corrupted then? What then should be happening to those that believe that is not happening because the Bible was corrupted? America will glory in her founding fathers and past generations but will rebel against any of their legacies that point Godwards, that is not surprising.

Archaeologists claim to find evolutions missing link, they believe; archaeologists find artefacts confirming Bible records , it becomes propaganda; places and people who have these records as their history are here with us what then?

pls since you have heard this man yourself, enumerate some of these 'thousand'mistakes' This same excuse was used in another form by Israel: we dont know what happened to Moses so let's forsake God, make an idol and have sex parties to it (like they must have seen in Egypt and was their real intention else were there not other decent course of action? Was the God that rescued them dead?);
And is the same excuse used by muslims,''the Bible is corrupted!'' Pray, by who? For what intent? Do deceivers now deal in peace, righteousness, love, holiness of life, love for enemies , respect for constituted authorities etc?

Do vouchsafe us some hard evidences.

which evidence?

here lies the real propaganda in my opinion. It seems those shows are stage managed.

Thank you jare !

Archaeologists find evidence for the bible , they become overly pedantic of the archaeologists' credentials but will agree that a father and his son were bored and went for fishing in a lake found 300 million year fossil thought to be an elusive missing link . Therefore Evolution is proven to be true ! Such hypocrisy .

If you watch carefully only the young generation who wants to live a free life without any abidance to the laws of God deny him . Hard evidence ko , hard drugs ni . Mtcheew

8 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham / End Time Sign: Most Christians' Faith In God Is At All Time Low / The Many Lies Told By Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.