Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,478 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai (23959 Views)

The Tanko Yakassai Interview On Channels TV Everyone Is Talking About (Video) / Femi Fani-kayode‏ Blasts Tanko Yakassai Over Channels Tv Interview - Pictures / Awolowo-Akintola Struggle Of 1965 Caused January 1966 Coup- Sanusi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by ayosogunro1: 5:13pm On Jan 15, 2016
Just one word for the old man: SENILITY.

Check https://ayosogunro1./2016/01/15/january-15-1966-50-years-after
Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by coolzeal(m): 5:19pm On Jan 15, 2016
Really... It was all about women and the rest is history.
Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by ayosogunro1: 5:24pm On Jan 15, 2016
Nothing excites them than to hear stuffs about Awolowo, especially lies and vilification. They get excited, they go gaga, they hop from trees to trees like monkeys. They don't bother to check the sensibilities of such submissions. They are just happy that somebody is demonising Awolowo, the Yoruba god, as they think. They fall over themselves in ecstasy to demystify Awolowo. They preach "the glad tidings" happily. Yet Awolowo's records and moral rectitude are unassailable. 10,000 ill-wishes cannot change that. Shame to haters.

6 Likes

Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by DerideGull(m): 5:40pm On Jan 15, 2016
Dindondin:
Ok.
I got what this old man is saying.
The January boys took advantage of the unrest in the southwest to unleash their evil coup.
Noted sir.

Old man was saying that the allegation of corruption by the coup plotters actually resided in western region of Nigeria and actively precipitated by the Premiers and their wives.

1 Like

Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by Dindondin(m): 5:44pm On Jan 15, 2016
DerideGull:

Old man was saying that the allegation of corruption by the coup plotters actually resided in western region of Nigeria and actively precipitated by the Premiers and their wives.
funny u
Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by raumdeuter: 5:46pm On Jan 15, 2016
DerideGull:

This old man is senile already

Dendemoron How market?
Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by stonemasonn: 5:47pm On Jan 15, 2016
Stolen:
Yorubas were heavily involved in that coup planning, let us not forget that fact.

They also had soldiers involved in the actual coup.
Yeah they fulfilled there own end unlike the Igboes

1 Like

Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by Rolings: 5:48pm On Jan 15, 2016
Histrings08:
..... Were u alive then? He's an old man wif a 1st hand info bout wat took place in 1966.. All u read was a report that's bn doctored by some people... Smh for u

So does that mean there was no progrom against the ibos in the north? or what then led to the civil war . Why then did the north started taking revenge for the killing of Ahmadu Bello and Tafawa Balewa in the coup while ibo leaders were spared?
Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by meforyou1(m): 5:56pm On Jan 15, 2016
So in truth, it was the quarrel between 2 yoruba housewives over the contract of sharing exercise books for primary school children that led to the Igbo genocide in 1967.
Nigeria is cursed.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by cckris: 6:01pm On Jan 15, 2016
People from the noisiest section of Nigeria should ask Chief Richard Akinjide to educate them, & disabuse their minds from decades of lies they've imbibed, from the predecessors of Alhaji Liar Mohammed.
It takes a second for Light to overcome darkness.

1 Like

Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by T8ksy(m): 6:06pm On Jan 15, 2016
raumdeuter:

This old man is senile already

Dendemoron How market?

Abeg, leave Dendemoron alone o. The bullet, the black scorpion dashed him whilst fighting in ojukwu's boy's brigade is still

lurking deep in his frontal lobe hence the gibberish he vomits at random.

@ topic,

These fla.ttie.s are truly cursed o! So, it was because of the contracts for exercise books that made some army boys from a particular region to

go killing all other leaders from other regions? Na wetin concern Ahmadu bello with contracts for exercise books in the western region?

4 Likes

Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by meforyou1(m): 6:07pm On Jan 15, 2016
DeeManD:

Oh, so you didn't know ? How do you think the term (WIDE WIDE WEST) came to be ?
it's WILD WILD WEST
Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by cckris: 6:08pm On Jan 15, 2016
meforyou1:
So in truth, it was the quarrel between 2 yoruba housewives over the contract of sharing exercise books for primary school children that led to the Igbo genocide in 1967.
Nigeria is cursed.
Then overzealous Igbo Army officers, bought the case that didn't concern them, & the real victims of those crises turned around, & joined forces with their oppressors, dealt with the Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by raumdeuter: 6:14pm On Jan 15, 2016
T8ksy:

Abeg, leave Dendemoron alone o. The bullet, the black scorpion dashed him whilst fighting in ojukwu's boy's brigade is still

lurking deep in his frontal lobe hence the gibberish he vomits at random.
@ topic,

These fla.ttie.s are truly cursed o! So, it was because of the contracts for exercise books that made some army boys from a particular region to

go killing all other leaders from other regions? Na wetin concern Ahmadu bello with contracts for exercise books in the western region?

Abeg forgive my paddy dendemorron, 47yrs PTSD he siffered when ojuku sent him as a child soldier to face Black scorpion still dey worry am

You dey mind the tales by moonlight? So the Ibo soldiers brought guns to settle a case of two wifes fighting over exercise book contract and also killed Balewa and Okotie Eboh because of exercise book

Then that means those exercise book na him lead to the wastage of the 3million lives.

Next time dem see exercise book. even if na 2A, 2B or 2D dem go run

3 Likes

Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by meforyou1(m): 6:17pm On Jan 15, 2016
cckris:

Then overzealous Igbo Army officers, bought the case that didn't concern them, & the real victims of those crises turned around, & joined forces with their oppressors, dealt with the Igbos.
I didn't subscribe to the killings during the coup. But Ademoyega, one of the kingpins of the coup is yoruba
Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by Eziachi: 6:19pm On Jan 15, 2016
Dojupyo:
If there was corruption in Nigeria during Shagari's regime, what do we have now? Erosion angry ... As far as I know Shehu Shagari's regime was the best back then, it was democratic in nature.. Before those sagas overthrew his regime via a military coup led by Sani Abacha on Dec .31, 1983 or whoever the militant was sad

They no even let the man rule for long, of which Nigeria would have been a better place...

The clash between Awolowo and Akintola divided the party into factions..
Awolowo who was the leader of the AG Party, decided to contest for a legislative seat at the federal level with the aim of becoming the first Prime minister in Nigeria, conceded the office of the Regional Premier to Akintola who was his deputy, unfortunately for baba Awolowo, he lost at the center..
Trouble started over who was to lead the government in the Western region, whether na the premier or national leader of AG...
To the best of my knowledge, that was what caused their clash which led to the declaration of state of emergency in the region by the Federal Government
It's either you were yet unborn during Shagari's NPN government or you had been in coma and just woke up.

1 Like

Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by Cyojunior(m): 6:21pm On Jan 15, 2016
emajoe:
I was then old enough to gather info but the COUP was not caused by what our elder wants us to believe.
Let him leave Pa Awo out of that.

Wit dis ur youthful -oldage ? Ur lies can cause anoder civil war !!!
Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by samplegirl(f): 6:29pm On Jan 15, 2016
DeeManD:

Oh, so you didn't know ? How do you think the term (WIDE WIDE WEST) came to be ?

Lols.
Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by cckris: 6:48pm On Jan 15, 2016
meforyou1:
I didn't subscribe to the killings during the coup. But Ademoyega, one of the kingpins of the coup is yoruba
You probably haven't read about the proud & fiery nationalism of post-Independence Nigerians, especially in the Civil Service that had been made to feel inferior to Europeans that lived in European Quarters, now GRA, & played in European Clubs in Nigeria, where Nigerians weren't allowed to enter. They all dreamed of a better Nigeria, harnessing abundant natural resources to better the conditions of the humiliated black race. And they didn't see anything happening. They'd rather die than yield to unacceptable conditions.
Have you read articles written by brilliant, extra-ordinarily brilliant Adegoke Adelabu? Indeed there was a country. That dream is lost, almost forever.

1 Like

Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by T8ksy(m): 6:48pm On Jan 15, 2016
raumdeuter:

Abeg forgive my paddy dendemorron, 47yrs PTSD he siffered when ojuku sent him as a child soldier to face Black scorpion still dey worry am

You dey mind the tales by moonlight? So the Ibo soldiers brought guns to settle a case of two wifes fighting over exercise book contract and also killed Balewa and Okotie Eboh because of exercise book

Then that means those exercise book na him lead to the wastage of the 3million lives.

Next time dem see exercise book. even if na 2A, 2B or 2D dem go run

You wanna bet? Their obdurate flat heads is symbolic o!!!
Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by T8ksy(m): 6:52pm On Jan 15, 2016
meforyou1:

Another ibo poor attempt at revisionism. Ademoyega was recruited towards the tail end of 1965 by Nzegowe. He was never

one of the leader of the Jan coup rather he was sold a dummy by ifeajunna, one of the true leader of the coup.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by meforyou1(m): 6:54pm On Jan 15, 2016
T8ksy:

Another ibo poor attempt at revisionism. Ademoyega was recruited towards the tail end of 1965 by Nzegowe. He was never

one of the leader of the Jan coup rather he was sold a dummy by ifeajunna, one of the true leader of the coup.
I read his book "Why We Struck". I advise you to do same.

1 Like

Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by Histrings08(m): 7:01pm On Jan 15, 2016
Rolings:

So does that mean there was no progrom against the ibos in the north? or what then led to the civil war . Why then did the north started taking revenge for the killing of Ahmadu Bello and Tafawa Balewa in the coup while ibo leaders were spared?
.... Aguiyi ironsi was murdered cos of dat....I'm not trying to negate what u said buh the man was write wif what he said.... @least I watched the clip of major nzeogwu's interview after d coup was carried out...
Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by cosmicrayboi(m): 7:13pm On Jan 15, 2016
nnah dis tin too long

summerize it for me please...@lalastic
Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by T8ksy(m): 7:26pm On Jan 15, 2016
meforyou1:
I read his book "Why We Struck". I advise you to do same.

I suggest you read other books that buttress or otherwise the only book you seem to have read about the coup.

Btw, who did the author claimed to have killed? Brig. Maimalaria escaped Maj. okafor's initial murderous attempt only for Ifeajunna to go looking for his mentor but there was no record of anyone going looking for Ironsi who could and did allegedly foiled the coup.
Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by raumdeuter: 7:33pm On Jan 15, 2016
I have read multiple books on the coup even the so called Why we struck and it points to the same thing

It was an ibo planned and executed putsch
Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by kadas01(m): 7:34pm On Jan 15, 2016
Histrings08:
..... Were u alive then? He's an old man wif a 1st hand info bout wat took place in 1966.. All u read was a report that's bn doctored by some people... Smh for u
Smh for you too!

You are the "misguided" individual on this issue!
Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jan 15, 2016
meforyou1:
it's WILD WILD WEST

BIG THANKS for THE CORRECTION. I apologise for the mistake.

1 Like

Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by economia: 8:30pm On Jan 15, 2016
pentag0nal:
Facts have emerged of the factors which led to January 15, 1966 coup.

This, according Dr Tanko Yakassai, an active political player in the First Republic having held several national positions in the defunct Northern Elements Peoples Union, NEPU, was as a result of the battle between the Awolowo and Akintola factions.

In this interview published by Vanguard, the former National Financial Secretary, National Youth Leader, National Organising Secretary and subsequently National Secretary of the Aminu Kano led party expatiated on the factors that led to the January 15, 1966 coup and the consequences thereafter.

You were very much around in 1966. Was there any need for the coup of that year?

No, and I said it in my autobiography because, the only argument was that there were political crises in Western Nigeria between two factions of the Action Group AG -the Awolowo group and that of Akintola.

Of course, that crisis was serious but it was only limited to areas around Ibadan and Ijebu-Ode. Then, in Tiv division, there was crisis between supporters of the AG and UMBC and the result was that the crisis in these two places led to some killings, but the rest of the country was in peace.

The pretext the military used was that they took over power in order to quell those two crises in those areas. But if you look at the consequences of their actions -all they wanted to do was to save lives, but the coup led to the civil war and a rough estimate of the number of people killed on both sides during the war was five million which was not even the accurate figure.

So, if you came to save less than a hundred lives and you ended up killing over five million people, would you call that intervention justified? The coup was not necessary, but it was part of the process of development. You see, what brought about it was the quarrel in the Action Group, but even that quarrel, according to insiders, was not “national”.

People said it was a quarrel between the wife of the AG leader, Chief Awolowo and the wife of the man who succeeded him, his deputy, Chief Akintola and the reason for the fight was that when Awolowo was the Premier, the allegation was that his wife was getting contracts for the supply of exercise books and reading materials in primary and secondary schools and that when he left power and was succeeded by his deputy, the wife of the deputy insisted that the contract should be shared between her and Mrs Awolowo.

That led to a quarrel between the two wives and eventually it became a quarrel between two giants which led to the break-up of the party, but the public view of the crisis was that Akintola was of the opinion that the only way for the Yorubas to be in the mainstream of Nigerian politics was to cooperate with the northern leaders.

Awolowo was opposed to that and the crisis led to the split of the party at their convention in Jos, I think in 1962 or thereabout. That was what led to the crisis and also that was the excuse given by the military to take over power.

In essence, could that be the beginning of our setback in our quest for true democracy?

In our march towards perfecting democratic rule, the military intervention was the main cause of our setback. The first one of 1966 and the second one of 1983 when Buhari overthrew Shagari.

We have had 16 straight years of civilian rule. Do you foresee any possible military incursion in the nearest future?

Well, I am not God; only God can tell what would happen in the future but, at times the disenchantment and dissatisfaction within the society at large, could affect the psyche of the different segments of the society, the military also included. For instance, there is widespread poverty and lack money in circulation in the country now. People, hardly are able to have enough to take care of themselves and their dependents.

The military took over in 1966 believing that they could stop the killings in some parts of the West, but in the end they created a condition for the civil war. When the price of oil came down from $45 to about $7 per barrel in 1982/83, Buhari and his group thought that if they took over power, they would be able to handle the situation. This was exactly why they overthrew Shagari.

I read Buhari’s broadcast and he talked of corruption but there was no corruption because I just went through the list of members of Shagari’s cabinet, aides, ministers, advisers, assistants and others, and I think we were 75 or so. Throughout the two-year period of the military tribunal, only five people were indicted. Most of those convicted were state government officials but people at the centre, the majority of them, were not indicted and so we cannot describe that regime as corrupt.

The corruption that we are now talking about was exacerbated by the military from 1983 to date. Even the misfortune we had was that when this country was going back to civilian rule, power was handed over by the military to a retired military officer and therefore he ran the system with a military psyche.

Now, he handpicked Yar’Adua and after he died, he (Obasanjo) manoeuvred to get Jonathan to take over with the hope that he would continue to dictate from the background. He amended the constitution of his party to make himself the life-chairman of the Board of Trustees BOT.

This was after he had sold everything salable to his kitchen cabinet boys and when Yar’Adua came, he realized that life could not continue that way and he decided to reverse the sales of many of those properties and other policies. When Jonathan succeeded Yar’Adua, Obasanjo also hoped that he would stay in his Ota Farm to be dictating things to Jonathan because dictatorship is part of the military psyche and they live by directing their subordinates.

https://www.naij.com/697044-must-read-tanko-yakassai-reveals-battle-awolowo-akintola-led-1966-coup.html

DOMINIQUE, LALASTICLALA, SEUN.
Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by meforyou1(m): 8:43pm On Jan 15, 2016
T8ksy:

I suggest you read other books that buttress or otherwise the only book you seem to have read about the coup.

Btw, who did the author claimed to have killed? Brig. Maimalaria escaped Maj. okafor's initial murderous attempt only for Ifeajunna to go looking for his mentor but there was no record of anyone going looking for Ironsi who could and did allegedly foiled the coup.
pls recommend the dem say dem say books. Since to you they are more authoritative to the coup plotter's own
Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by naijaking1: 8:45pm On Jan 15, 2016
room089:
Ok

Why did it take you 50 years to say this?
We have gon over this, it's forward ever backward never!
We don't need men like you that will keep taking us back to our yesterdays!
You should be happy to learn history anytime
Re: Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai by meforyou1(m): 8:47pm On Jan 15, 2016
kadas01:
Smh for you too!

You are the "misguided" individual on this issue!
how's he misguided? U are d misguided one here. Here's an eye witness narrating the story live, but you prefer war-criminal awolowo's inclined authors version. People that were not even born then when the Igbo genocide of 1967 occurred

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos From APC Governors' Forum Meeting In Aso Rock / French, Italian Police Finger Nigerian Diplomats In Organ Sales / NAF Airstrike Kills Children In Niger State, Destroys Houses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.