Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,183 members, 7,811,463 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:07 PM

Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Insulting Buhari On Facebook (photo) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Insulting Buhari On Facebook (photo) (794 Views)

Arewa Youths To FFK: Stop Insulting Buhari, Northern Leaders Or Face Our Wrath / Malami Sends Names Of Six Judges To DSS For Probe - CJN writes Buhari / APC Warns Against Insulting Buhari, Government Officials - Premiumtimes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Insulting Buhari On Facebook (photo) by g4everybody(m): 4:44pm On Jan 16, 2016
A popular Nigerian lawyer and rights activist was detained overnight on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 for allegedly addressing President Muhammadu Buhari in a disrespectful way.

Emeka Ugwuonye, Esquire, Group Founder/Principal Administrator of Due Process Advocates (DPA), was stopped by operatives of the Department of State Service (DSS) upon arrival at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos.

“They told me they would have to hear from Abuja (DSS Headquarters) before allowing me to go,” Mr. Ugwuonye, a senior lawyer who practises in Nigeria and the United States of America, told News Express this morning. “I had to tell my driver and personal assistant to go when I was not released as at midnight,” he added.

News Express learnt that Mr. Ugwuonye, who was not allowed to go until after clearance by Abuja, was detained in connection with a video he recently uploaded on the DPA Facebook page in which he said that President Buhari must obey court orders. “He talked as if he was ordering the President,” a DSS source said, adding that Buhari should be talked to with respect as he is the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces.

Ugwuonye said, “This is unacceptable. I am going to sue them on Monday.”

He repeated what he said in the video, insisting that Buhari, who recently declared in public not to obey some court orders, has no option than to abide by the dictates of the Nigerian Constitution and has no right to choose court orders to obey.

Below are his Facebook update as the episode was unfolding.

http://www.zubbyblog.com/lawyer-arrested-by-dss-for-insulting-buhari-on-facebook/
Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Insulting Buhari On Facebook (photo) by playtheblues(f): 5:33pm On Jan 16, 2016
Buhari the dictator has turned the DSS into his touts.
Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Insulting Buhari On Facebook (photo) by apholaryn: 5:45pm On Jan 16, 2016
"There is freedom of speech, but I cannot guarantee freedom after speech" Idi Amin
Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Insulting Buhari On Facebook (photo) by damselchinny: 6:30pm On Jan 16, 2016
:-XMy mouth closed .just passing
Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Insulting Buhari On Facebook (photo) by agabusta: 6:32pm On Jan 16, 2016
Hungry lawyer looking for cheap publicity.

(1) (Reply)

Amazing: An Italian Town Witnessed The Birth Of The First Baby In 28 Years (pic) / ICC Confirms It Has Received Petition Against Alaafin Of Oyo's Criminal Activity / Nigerians Will Starve To Death If.. - FG Raises Alarm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.