Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,871 members, 7,817,568 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation (9341 Views)

How Nigerian Churches Are Taking Advantage Of Technology To Make Global Impact / Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by urahara(m): 5:53pm On Jan 17, 2016
dearpreye:

That one na another matter on its own. It's being increased to N 20 , 000 now. I just walked away SMH when the announcement was made.

Which Parish do you attend
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by smithoo(m): 5:55pm On Jan 17, 2016
The GO of RCCG last year Ministers conference banned any form of honorarium to any visiting pastor and he even placed a curse to the giver and receiver of such. If you look at the activities of our men of God, you wouldn't serve God. In your anger, do not sin. Keep your focus on God and do what is right in the sight of God.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jan 17, 2016
urahara:

Which Parish do you attend

A parish under Province 7.
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jan 17, 2016
dearpreye:

The exploitation is real. It's real. This is merchandise.
I'm quite surprised at some things I'm reading here though. This is extreme. Well, that goodness your senses are still intact.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jan 17, 2016
urahara:

Hahn. Everything you said is true apart from the non existence of Jesus. He existed but was unfortunately idolized just like Buddha
He existed......and still exists. smiley

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by urahara(m): 6:00pm On Jan 17, 2016
dearpreye:

A parish under Province 7.
OK. So which church are you thinking of going to now
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Candour(m): 6:02pm On Jan 17, 2016
smithoo:
The GO of RCCG last year Ministers conference banned any form of honorarium to any visiting pastor and he even placed a curse to the giver and receiver of such. If you look at the activities of our men of God, you wouldn't serve God. In your anger, do not sin. Keep your focus on God and do what is right in the sight of God.

Really? If he truly did that, then its a step in the right direction.

Does that mean the OP's pastor is trying to play a fast one on the members?

Cc: dearpreye

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 17, 2016
Candour:

Really? If he truly did that, then its a step in the right direction.

Does that mean the OP's pastor is trying to play a fast one on the members?

Cc: dearpreye

Are you kidding me? I'll do some research on it and then confront my pastor with the truth. ....
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jan 17, 2016
smithoo:

That's for the information, brother/sister. The honorarium thing is madness...
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jan 17, 2016
urahara:

OK. So which church are you thinking of going to now

Hahahaha. I've not decided yet.
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by kaboninc(m): 6:32pm On Jan 17, 2016
dearpreye:

The RCCG runs runs a system akin to the one Nigeria runs as a people....embellishing while corners are impoverished......70% of whatever a parish ends up leaving the parishes, whether the parish is building or not is immaterial....it has to go....

I've seen another religious organization where the parish remits 70% of 'offerings' and retain 30%. They then solicit for funds from private well to do individuals support, organize fund raising events etc. The contributions were to see that a befitting HQ structure was erected and put into good use. So after the building has been completed, the funds remitted is to be used to maintain it.

As for our country, only if we will genuinely canvas for equitable and just distribution of wealth. My brother, the corruption is just too much. Even those claiming to be saints today, as soon as they get in or their protégé gets in, story changes. We just have to keep pushing for good governance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jan 17, 2016
kaboninc:

I've seen another religious organization where the parish remits 70% of 'offerings' and retain 30%. They then solicit for funds from private well to do individuals support, organize fund raising events etc. The contributions were to see that a befitting HQ structure was erected and put into good use. So after the building has been completed, the funds remitted is to be used to maintain it.

As for our country, only if we will genuinely canvas for equitable and just distribution of wealth. My brother, the corruption is just too much. Even those claiming to be saints today, as soon as they get in or their protégé gets in, story changes. We just have to keep pushing for good governance.

Where do we start from? The voices of reason are so faint when compared to that of those who mindlessly swallow everything. I'm so saddened.......we'll keep asking questions.

My parish remits 70% of everything we generate. The emphasis is so much on the said returns that pastors even add their own personal money to make up for the expectations from the top. Merchandise.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by kaboninc(m): 6:48pm On Jan 17, 2016
dearpreye:

Where do we start from? The voices of reason are so faint when compared to that of those who mindlessly swallow everything. I'm so saddened.......we'll keep asking questions.

My parish remits 70% of everything we generate. The emphasis is so much on the said returns that pastors even add their own personal money to make up for the expectations from the top. Merchandise.

Truth is that even the GO may not be aware of these things because he's so guarded that its almost impossible if not difficult to get across to him.

Just like our president. Only if he spends time to find out what his subjects say about his government especially the opposition. You know, we always love to be told things that soothe us in as much as it may not be the truth.

Only if our senators can make out time to find out what the people he represents says of their needs.

It was said of a certain Prime Minister or President who boarded a taxi and engaged the taxi driver on issues affecting him and his country - just to get his view. In today's world oh. Even the taxi guy no know say na the PM be that. They just flowed and connected. Do you know how much the PM must have learnt from that conversation?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jan 17, 2016
kaboninc:

Truth is that even the GO may not be aware of these things because he's so guarded that its almost impossible if not difficult to get across to him.

Just like our president. Only if he spends time to find out what his subjects say about his government especially the opposition. You know, we always love to be told things that soothe us in as much as it may not be the truth.

Only if our senators can make out time to find out what the people he represents says of their needs.

It was said of a certain Prime Minister or President who boarded a taxi and engaged the taxi driver on issues affecting him and his country - just to get his view. In today's world oh. Even the taxi guy no know say na the PM be that. They just flowed and connected. Do you know how much the PM must have learnt from that conversation?

Yes. It's a possibility. But exploitation of this magnitude couldn't have continued without some very top brass perpetuating it. Someone here said that the GO has already uttered a statement cancelling the act- I just don't know how true it is at the moment.

We have a culture of extreme pandering. We have a taste for extreme stupid show of humility and loyalty even when the truth should have been said.

I believe our leaders are so used to us that they need not anyone to tell them about our sufferings. The people are the problem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jan 17, 2016
Ishilove:
My belief is you can only be exploited if you want to be exploited. These traditions they made mention of, who instituted them? Is it not men?

Bleh! If your church doesn't change you, change your church. When you notice some unpalatable practices that can't be ignored, dust your legs and move on. Shikena.
How many times/churches will change?
It happens in almost all the Churches.
Church that are suppose to provide for the poors are now exploiting the poor and less privilages in the name of sowing seed for God to bless you.
I think kachisbarbie has just nailed it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by vooks: 7:47pm On Jan 17, 2016
Candour:
The Church started as a movement in Jerusalem...it got to Rome and became an Institution.... It spread round Europe and became a Culture.....it got to America and became a Business.....Europe and America exported their different variants to Africa and it became Confusion but Christ is coming back for the movement "

The saga of the African spiritual business man continues........
Candour:

Deification of man....has he turned Christ?

Its sure his grave will become a pilgrimage site eventually....

Candour on fire!
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by vooks: 7:49pm On Jan 17, 2016
dearpreye:

I have a simple idea
Start your church free from all the perceived ills of RCCG
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jan 17, 2016
vooks:

I have a simple idea
Start your church free from all the perceived ills of RCCG

What do you mean by ' perceived?'
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by hahn(m): 8:28pm On Jan 17, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

You are the one who is actually deluded and proud - peddling none sense which is not relevant to the thread and first to comment for that matter

*yawns* LIC undecided
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:48pm On Jan 17, 2016
hahn:

*yawns* LIC undecided

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by kevoh(m): 9:11pm On Jan 17, 2016
Salient points so far :

dearpreye:

Christianity is becoming too expensive oooo

Candour:
[i]The Church started as a movement in Jerusalem...it got to Rome and became an Institution.... It spread round Europe and became a Culture.....it got to America and became a Business.....Europe and America exported their different variants to Africa and it became Confusion

The saga of the African spiritual business man continues........

Candour:

Imagine! Former residence turned museum and fellow Nigerians are paying to view??

We Pentecostals accused the RCC of a lot of similar things but as it is now, we've done/are doing worse than them.

This part below got me cracking...grin grin grin
dearpreye:

The Nigerian version of Christianity is largely confusion. ....and headache. I'm already tired.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jan 17, 2016
kevoh:
Salient points so far :

This part below got me cracking...grin grin grin

My yoke is easy and my burden is light. Sadly, man has added to those words. Na serious matter ooo
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by smithoo(m): 10:18pm On Jan 17, 2016
1st of August 2015 Ministers conference. Our GO practically put an end to honorarium. Any pastor giving and collecting honorarium is under a curse. Collecting honorarium is denying parishes or churches the needed fund carry out day to day running of parish activities. I rest my case.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Assassin419(m): 10:30pm On Jan 17, 2016
Religion is just one big scam. Pastor Adeboye said he drove a car without fuel from Ore to Lagos... Anybody who believes that rubbish lie can easily be defrauded.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by cloudgoddess(f): 11:24pm On Jan 17, 2016
hahn:

Lol. Bros, Jesus never existed. The sole purpose of the creation of christ was to ensure that slaves remained loyal to their masters. Religion is a tool in the hands of the elite to control the masses and Africans have been controlled by this contraption ever since the first slave ship "Jesus" set off from England.

You are an intelligent man. Research and free yourself from this mental slavery.

There is no god. We are gods.

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by vooks: 5:40am On Jan 18, 2016
dearpreye:

What do you mean by ' perceived?'
Get busy with Google son
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by plaetton: 8:15am On Jan 18, 2016
dearpreye:

The RCCG runs runs a system akin to the one Nigeria runs as a people....embellishing while corners are impoverished......70% of whatever a parish ends up leaving the parishes, whether the parish is building or not is immaterial....it has to go....

Rccg is a very successful business franchise.
That's what it is. A business franchise.

Let me tell you another fraud you might not be aware of.

Rccg pastors pool church money together to finance not only their personal joint venture businesses, but also finance LPOs for those willing to pay up to 50% interest.
It doesn't matter the business, as long as you can pay the interest.
The church members are not aware and certainly don't qualify for the loans.
I have personally run into and dealt with a few of them in the course of business.

This is both usury and simony, the most immoral sin one can commit against the body the church of Jesus Christ.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Annunaki(m): 8:35am On Jan 18, 2016
plaetton:

Rccg pastors pool church money together to finance not only their personal joint venture businesses, but also finance LPOs for those willing to pay up to 50% interest.
The church members are aware and certainly don't qualify for the loans.
I have personally run into and dealt with a few of them in the course of business.

This is both usury and simony, the most immoral sin one can commit against the body the church of Jesus Christ.

Preach on Pastor Plaetton grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 9:23am On Jan 18, 2016
plaetton:

The church members are not aware and certainly don't qualify for the loans.

Now this is seriously criminal. I've never heard of others before now. I can now understand why religion subtly forbids one from deploying common sense. It only thrives on the gullibility of the people.

Men, I'm just furious as to how we've turned Christianity into a full time merchandise.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Candour(m): 9:57am On Jan 18, 2016
vooks:

Candour on fire!

Dear vooks, how are u doing bro? grin

These our mog never stop in their determination to bring Christianity into ridicule. Imagine the brazen exploitation?
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by babajeje123(m): 10:33am On Jan 18, 2016
dearpreye:
I'm so happy I'm gradually moving away from mindless religious to a position of common sense and critical thought.

It's my deepest believe that religion should serve as a means of elevating man from mediocrity to excellence; poverty to abundance; ignorance to knowledge, and from primitivity to civilisation. But for the inherent weaknesses of human nature, religion has been so effectively used to degrade the human sense, turn men into unthinking zombies, push men away from improved lifestyles into poverty, and exploit and rob unsuspecting people of their meagre resources.

What transpired in my RCCG parish earlier this morning was shocking, shameful and insulting to sane minds.

For the past 7 or so years, we the parish members have almost singlehandedly built our edifice from scratch. We struggled to get an expensive piece of land using bank loans after shifting from place to place, managed to put up the structure, and bought the sound system and other things to make the place conducive for members. Sadly, as the case is with the RCCG administration, more than 70% of what we generated within this period was still being sent to the province and from there it will land in the HQs in Lagos- Ibadan.

This morning our pastor announced we will be dedicating that edifice to the glory of God. The only issue is: our provincial pastors and others said we MUST make available the sum of money between N150, 000 to N200, 000 as honorarium before they will come around to dedicate the building. I almost went berserk.

When one of us asked why that should be the case, he was told that has been the tradition- that we must make money available whenever our top pastors come visiting the lower churches for whatever reasons. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. It just doesn't make any iota of sense to me. It's absurd. This is nothing but religious exploitation. Why must the leaders ask us to pay for services we believe they're rendering to God? Somebody please help me.

As for me, I'm NOT giving a dime to that religious waste BUT I feel it's even terrible such traditions are allowed in the house of God. It's crazy.

Just when I was getting my head together, I was told that our G.O used to live in an apartment in the Redemption Camp before he moved into a more befitting one. Now, that apartment is being turned into a museum- members allegedly pay N500 to see inside. Another madness and exploitation. I just don't get mind around these things.

If religion keeps creating pains for me, of what benefit is it to me? Why don't more people speak out against these exploitation? It's insane.

@Op, I share in your pains. I'm also a Redeemed member and a minister as well. Most of the things that are happening in our parishes, areas and province are unknown to daddy G.O and they don't go down well with me also. Recently, I got to know that 77% of ministers' tithes and offerings are been remitted to the Province. I was so mad with this. It is contrary to what the Bible says. When I questioned my pastor and my wife, who is the remittance officer, they gave me some unwelcome reasons. I searched my Bible again and I was so fortunate to discover what God wants us to do with our tithes and made up my mind to obey God.

I will suggest you don't leave Redeemed now. You know why? It is the same thing everywhere. Most churches are been managed now based on personal belief and principles which they called Doctrines. Any doctrine that can not be found in the Bible is just a personal opinion.

My advice, get the Word of God, believe it, live it and you will be saved from avoidable pains and enjoy your life to the fullest.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jan 18, 2016
babajeje123:

@Op, I share in your pains. I'm also a Redeemed member and a minister as well. Most of the things that are happening in our parishes, areas and province are unknown to daddy G.O and they don't go down well with me also. Recently, I got to know that 77% of ministers' tithes and offerings are been remitted to the Province. I was so mad with this. It is contrary to what the Bible says. When I questioned my pastor and my wife, who is the remittance officer, they gave me some unwelcome reasons. I searched my Bible again and I was so fortunate to discover what God wants us to do with our tithes and made up my mind to obey God.

I will suggest you don't leave Redeemed now. You know why? It is the same thing everywhere. Most churches are been managed now based on personal belief and principles which they called Doctrines. Any doctrine that can not be found in the Bible is just a personal opinion.

My advice, get the Word of God, believe it, live it and you will be saved from avoidable pains and enjoy your life to the fullest.
Thank you for the above. I'm already tired.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Do Atheists Love Bashing Religion? / This Is Getting More Funny / A Proposition For Theological Debate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.