Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,078 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation (9280 Views)

How Nigerian Churches Are Taking Advantage Of Technology To Make Global Impact / Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by vooks: 6:40pm On Jan 19, 2016
shachris02:

Chai! this guy ^^^^ is a slowpoke grin
I won't call you a m0ron because you've said nothing to earn it. Maintain your silence and you may beat Eistein's IQ just as Proverbs tell us

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by shachris02: 6:43pm On Jan 19, 2016
vooks:

I won't call you a m0ron because you've said nothing to earn it. Maintain your silence and you may beat Eistein's IQ just as Proverbs tell us

proverbs is a book of poetry. Better poems existed before proverbs. grin rumor has it that it was copied!
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by vooks: 6:51pm On Jan 19, 2016
shachris02:

proverbs is a book of poetry. Better poems existed before proverbs. grin rumor has it that it was copied!
Proverbs 17:28 (ESV)
28 Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise;
when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.

There!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by shachris02: 7:13pm On Jan 19, 2016
vooks:

Proverbs 17:28 (ESV)
28 Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise;
when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.

There!

A fool who knows his foolishness is wise at least to that extent, but a fool who thinks himself wise is a fool indeed. (63)

Though all his life a fool associates with a wise man, he no more comprehends the Truth than a spoon tastes the flavor of the soup. (64)

Buddha's 'Path of Wisdom'

13. When it is said to them: "Believe as the others believe:" They say: "Shall we believe as the fools believe?" No, of a surety they are the fools, but they do not know.

Quran:2 Surah Baqarah

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by vooks: 7:20pm On Jan 19, 2016
shachris02:

A fool who knows his foolishness is wise at least to that extent, but a fool who thinks himself wise is a fool indeed. (63)

Though all his life a fool associates with a wise man, he no more comprehends the Truth than a spoon tastes the flavor of the soup. (64)

Buddha's 'Path of Wisdom'

13. When it is said to them: "Believe as the others believe:" They say: "Shall we believe as the fools believe?" No, of a surety they are the fools, but they do not know.

Quran:2 Surah Baqarah

cheesy
How young are the Quran and Buddha?
Besides, point remains, you have contributed zilch to the topic at hand barring mindless jeering
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by shachris02: 7:34pm On Jan 19, 2016
vooks:

How young are the Quran and Buddha?
Besides, point remains, you have contributed zilch to the topic at hand barring mindless jeering

Buddha lived long before Jesus. What makes you think you own proverb is more correct than the above?
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by vooks: 7:36pm On Jan 19, 2016
shachris02:

Buddha lived long before Jesus. What makes you think you own proverb is more correct than the above?
Proverbs predate Jesus by a few thousand years wink
Now you are a deranged m0ron, shoulda held your piss

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Rose2014: 3:58am On Jan 20, 2016
dearpreye:
I'm so happy I'm gradually moving away from mindless religious to a position of common sense and critical thought.

It's my deepest believe that religion should serve as a means of elevating man from mediocrity to excellence; poverty to abundance; ignorance to knowledge, and from primitivity to civilisation. But for the inherent weaknesses of human nature, religion has been so effectively used to degrade the human sense, turn men into unthinking zombies, push men away from improved lifestyles into poverty, and exploit and rob unsuspecting people of their meagre resources.

What transpired in my RCCG parish earlier this morning was shocking, shameful and insulting to sane minds.

For the past 7 or so years, we the parish members have almost singlehandedly built our edifice from scratch. We struggled to get an expensive piece of land using bank loans after shifting from place to place, managed to put up the structure, and bought the sound system and other things to make the place conducive for members. Sadly, as the case is with the RCCG administration, more than 70% of what we generated within this period was still being sent to the province and from there it will land in the HQs in Lagos- Ibadan.

This morning our pastor announced we will be dedicating that edifice to the glory of God. The only issue is: our provincial pastors and others said we MUST make available the sum of money between N150, 000 to N200, 000 as honorarium before they will come around to dedicate the building. I almost went berserk.

When one of us asked why that should be the case, he was told that has been the tradition- that we must make money available whenever our top pastors come visiting the lower churches for whatever reasons. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. It just doesn't make any iota of sense to me. It's absurd. This is nothing but religious exploitation. Why must the leaders ask us to pay for services we believe they're rendering to God? Somebody please help me.

As for me, I'm NOT giving a dime to that religious waste BUT I feel it's even terrible such traditions are allowed in the house of God. It's crazy.

Just when I was getting my head together, I was told that our G.O used to live in an apartment in the Redemption Camp before he moved into a more befitting one. Now, that apartment is being turned into a museum- members allegedly pay N500 to see inside. Another madness and exploitation. I just don't get mind around these things.

If religion keeps creating pains for me, of what benefit is it to me? Why don't more people speak out against these exploitation? It's insane.

Well said my brother. That was the same kind of issue I had with RCCG. And it had to do with church building collection too
I'm one person that understand the principle of giving. If we have a project, you don't need to preach before I make my own little contribution. I'm naturally not a stingy person so it's easy for me to help out in my own capacity.
But I have a BIG problem when the sermon begins to sound like people are being blackmailed to give for all kinds of things. For example, That you gave money for building is not enough if you didn't give for pastor's birthday or you didn't give offering or you missed tithe or you didn't contribute for a visiting pastor. All the different giving mutually exclusive grin
Imagine being told in church that the reason people are having a certain problem is because they didn't give in church. For example, your car broke down because you didn't pay tithe, or put differently, if you pay tithe, your car won't break down.smh. It has gotten to the point that if you have N50,000 tithe and you see a person needs N50,000 to start/save his life, you're not allowed to save that life with that 50K cos it's fit the church.
Whatever happens to Mathew 24:45 "Then the King will answer, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for Me.'"
I thought I had heard it all until one day a visiting pastor came. He was trying to get donations especially from men(women are always easy to convince) and was telling the church that if a man needs his wife to conceive and he's not paying tithe, he's wasting his time. shocked shocked
I just felt my sensibility has bn insulted enough
Each day we're told how we now live under grace but when it comes to giving, we must go back to Old Testament and emphasize it.

And why sending such a high percentage to headquarters when a project is ongoing thereby putting members under constant but avoidable pressure?

However it's almost everywhere these days. I was watching a pastor on TV saying that if you're poor and in debt, bring whatever u have left(literarily) and sow into his ministry if you want a turnaround. Can u believe that?

Don't blame the pastors or the church itself, blame the fanatical members.

Good morning to you

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by vooks: 5:36am On Jan 20, 2016
Rose2014:

Well said my brother. That was the same kind of issue I had with RCCG. And it had to do with church building collection too
I'm one person that understand the principle of giving. If we have a project, you don't need to preach before I make my own little contribution. I'm naturally not a stingy person so it's easy for me to help out in my own capacity.
But I have a BIG problem when the sermon begins to sound like people are being blackmailed to give for all kinds of things. For example, That you gave money for building is not enough if you didn't give for pastor's birthday or you didn't give offering or you missed tithe or you didn't contribute for a visiting pastor. All the different giving mutually exclusive grin
Imagine being told in church that the reason people are having a certain problem is because they didn't give in church. For example, your car broke down because you didn't pay tithe, or put differently, if you pay tithe, your car won't break down.smh. It has gotten to the point that if you have N50,000 tithe and you see a person needs N50,000 to start/save his life, you're not allowed to save that life with that 50K cos it's fit the church.
Whatever happens to Mathew 24:45 "Then the King will answer, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for Me.'"
I thought I had heard it all until one day a visiting pastor came. He was trying to get donations especially from men(women are always easy to convince) and was telling the church that if a man needs his wife to conceive and he's not paying tithe, he's wasting his time. shocked shocked
Each day we're told how we now live under grace but when it comes to giving, we must go back to Old Testament and emphasize it.

And why sending such a high percentage to headquarters when a project is ongoing thereby putting members under constant but avoidable pressure?

However it's almost everywhere these days. I was watching a pastor on TV saying that if you're poor and in debt, bring whatever u have left(literarily) and sow into his ministry if you want a turnaround. Can u believe that?

Good morning to you

There is widespread spiritual abuse in the body of Christ.
The best cure against these atrocities which may be consciously or unconsciously perpetrated is the Word of God. If you are firmly grounded in the word of God, you won't be carried away by every wind of doctrine.

For instance, one should with scriptures refute the teaching that not tithing earns you a curse. One also needs a good grip of History, Christian History that is. You can interrogate a doctrine and find it is no older than 50 years and was totally unheard of for over 1900 years of Christendom.

I asked the OP what he was doing about it apart from opening threads on NL. Does he intend to depart from his faith because he is grossly offended? Or has he already left the faith? Offenders will truly come from all corners. It's a matter of when not if. One needs to guard their hearts against taking offenses
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 7:16am On Jan 20, 2016
Rose2014:

Good morning to you

Very pathetic stories you've dropped/narrated here. These issues are very sad and a huge deviation from the principles Christ had left us with.

The mind control is real. I've also heard all manners of emotional blackmail in the name of giving but I've grown way beyond that level of control- I give whenever I feel like.....I can't be cajoled into parting recklessly with my money.

The Bible is very clear on giving.....anyone adding to what the Bible has said is doing themselves a lot of damage. The relationship between God and us isn't a financial one....

I've heard members of a denomination told me their leaders asked them never to support any person if the person isn't a regular tithe. ...That's how crazy the whole issues around tithe has become.

You're right. ....the blame is on the people who don't study their Bible .......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by plaetton: 11:52am On Jan 20, 2016
vooks:

The best cure against these atrocities which may be consciously or unconsciously perpetrated is the Word of God. If you are firmly grounded in the word of God, you won't be carried away by every wind of doctrine.

For instance, one should with scriptures refute the teaching that not tithing earns you a curse. One also needs a good grip of History, Christian History that is. You can interrogate a doctrine and find it is no older than 50 years and was totally unheard of for over 1900 years of Christendom.

I asked the OP what he was doing about it apart from opening threads on NL. Does he intend to depart from his faith because he is grossly offended? Or has he already left the faith? Offenders will truly come from all corners. It's a matter of when not if. One needs to guard their hearts against taking offenses

In your idi.ot universe, the solution to a problem = more of the problem ? shocked

Gosh , your kind are realllllllly silly.

It never occurred to you that it is the so-called word of God that is being hawked to manipulate and exploit people?
And to your retarded brain, the word of god is the cure?

And let me guess , you know the real word of god, right ?

When I call you a half thinker, you think I am just joking ?
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by plaetton: 11:59am On Jan 20, 2016
vooks:

Mor.on,

There is no such thing as spiritual abuse. This is the same spirit spiri crap that the abusers use to mentally exploit the sheep.

What we are discussing here is plain old financial fraud, short and simple.

Remove your sand filled head from the sand and call a spade a spade.

Spiritual abuse , my asxx.
undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by vooks: 1:18pm On Jan 20, 2016
plaetton:

Mor.on,

There is no such thing as spiritual abuse. This is the same spirit spiri crap that the abusers use to mentally exploit the sheep.

What we are discussing here is plain old financial fraud, short and simple.

Remove your sand filled head from the sand and call a spade a spade.

Spiritual abuse , my asxx.
undecided
My Negro,
There is something called spiritual abuse which of course means abuse of the authority by a spiritual leader. This is no spiri spiri sir, just plain old manipulation and excessive and unhealthy control of congregants. I had a thread about it here, make time and go through the book. The problem is bigger than church expenditure. How do they get the money in the first place?

How is yo Wednesday coming?
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Candour(m): 3:50pm On Jan 20, 2016
vooks:

I'm faring well in Jesus Christ. The relationship between h/o and branches is a thorny one. First, the H/o has overheads, is a cost center so to speak seeing it receives no offerings. So it's overheads must be spread out across all branches.

If it were down to me, I'd spread h/o's budget for the year together with a 10% contingency across all parishes/zones on the basis of their previous year's total revenues. They can keep the rest as soon as they meet their quota. The zones will then escalate their share to the individual branches.

But come to think of it, mega churches with hundreds of branches just attract needless nightmares. Why not commission ministers and release them? The size and numbers just pamper GO's ego.

Does it not strike you as funny that mainstream churches, Anglican, Presbyterian and Catholic have no such worries with branch management? There is something wrong with Pentecostalism, and this is imagining that you can suspend common sense and receive spiritual wisdom instead. We need to study how these 'unspiritual' institutions do their thing

Its because the G.O/HQ see the branch Churches as well......branches of a conglomerate with a mandate to raise funds for the HQ. Hence no thought for the hardship these small branches go through in the process. Its the same way banks pressurize their branches to churn out profits.

Also on the mega status of these churches, how else does the G.O show he has a direct line to God if not by the size of his 'flock'? Ego is important in this business bro...

Anglicans, Catholics etc see the headquarters bear a lot of burden for the smaller less buoyant branches and its so commonsensical that I wonder how it escapes our famous G.O's.

Giving in the bible is meant to be from the buoyant to the needy and less privileged.
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by vooks: 4:58pm On Jan 20, 2016
Candour:

Its because the G.O/HQ see the branch Churches as well......branches of a conglomerate with a mandate to raise funds for the HQ. Hence no thought for the hardship these small branches go through in the process. Its the same way banks pressurize their branches to churn out profits.

Also on the mega status of these churches, how else does the G.O show he has a direct line to God if not by the size of his 'flock'? Ego is important in this business bro...

Anglicans, Catholics etc see the headquarters bear a lot of burden for the smaller less buoyant branches and its so commonsensical that I wonder how it escapes our famous G.O's.

Giving in the bible is meant to be from the buoyant to the needy and less privileged.
Very true my broda...ego compels them more than nothing else; mega-structures,jets and so forth. Pushing struggling churches I think is twice as bad where the mother church does little to help them with nothing as they get established
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Candour(m): 5:15pm On Jan 20, 2016
vooks:

Very true my broda...ego compels them more than nothing else; mega-structures,jets and so forth. Pushing struggling churches I think is twice as bad where the mother church does little to help them with nothing as they get established

Very true bro
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by elantraceey(f): 3:29pm On Jan 21, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Funny. I was head of one of the departments in one of the parishes under KIng's Palace. I'm not gonna be specific for obvious reasons.

I was privileged to work with the finance department, so I'm a bit familiar with the financial rules of the RCCG and how most money is remitted to HQ. It would surprise most to know that the HQ also gets money from HOUSE fellowship centers..that small offering for evening.. chai..

If salvation is free, why is maintaining it so expensive? Who's profiting from salvation? Why must thanks to God be expressed in naira? Think Brother.

cc: modath, kingebukasblog, uyiiredia

Now this is interesting.
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jan 21, 2016
elantraceey:

Now this is interesting.
I'm always interesting booboo. You're the book I want to share my pages with. kiss kiss #toastoflife

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jan 21, 2016
MATTHEW 21: 12-14
12 And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all those who were buying and selling in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who were selling doves.
13 And He said to them, "It is written, 'MY HOUSE SHALL BE CALLED A HOUSE OF PRAYER'; but you are making it a ROBBERS' DEN."
14 And the blind and the lame came to Him in the temple, and He healed them.…

THE IRONY OF THIS IS THAT NEWER CHURCHES AND PENTECOSTAL BODIES ARE COPING THIS ALTITUDE AND IDEOLOGY.?
THIS IS NOT BUILDING THE BODY OF CHRIST. THIS WITHOUT ANY DOUBT IS FRAUD AND IS ALREADY WEAKENING THE CHURCH FOUNDATION.
WE NO LONGER HEAR OF SALVATION, HELPING THE NEEDY OR GENUINE EVANGELISM. WE ARE ONLY INTERESTED IN BUILDING THE BIGGEST BUILDING, PULLING THE BIGGEST CROWD, HAVING THE MOST FLASHY PASTORS, WORLDLY PROSPERITIES ETC.
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Djboosting: 11:31pm On Jan 22, 2016
dearpreye:
I'm so happy I'm gradually moving away from mindless religious to a position of common sense and critical thought.

It's my deepest believe that religion should serve as a means of elevating man from mediocrity to excellence; poverty to abundance; ignorance to knowledge, and from primitivity to civilisation. But for the inherent weaknesses of human nature, religion has been so effectively used to degrade the human sense, turn men into unthinking zombies, push men away from improved lifestyles into poverty, and exploit and rob unsuspecting people of their meagre resources.

When one of us asked why that should be the case, he was told that has been the tradition- that we must make money available whenever our top pastors come visiting the lower churches for whatever reasons. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. It just doesn't make any iota of sense to me. It's absurd.

Just when I was getting my head together, I was told that our G.O used to live in an apartment in the Redemption Camp before he moved into a more befitting one. Now, that apartment is being turned into a museum- members allegedly pay N500 to see inside. Another madness and exploitation. I just don't get mind around these things.

If religion keeps creating pains for me, of what benefit is it to me? Why don't more people speak out against these exploitation? It's insane.

Remember in a post of mine a while ago...

"When you don't and not ready to do your thinking for yourself, people will do it for you."

Ignorance and Fear are the only enemies from which men need salvation.

#WakeUp call

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by urahara(m): 9:11am On Jan 23, 2016
osagix:
MATTHEW 21: 12-14
12 And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all those who were buying and selling in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who were selling doves.
13 And He said to them, "It is written, 'MY HOUSE SHALL BE CALLED A HOUSE OF PRAYER'; but you are making it a ROBBERS' DEN."
14 And the blind and the lame came to Him in the temple, and He healed them.…

THE IRONY OF THIS IS THAT NEWER CHURCHES AND PENTECOSTAL BODIES ARE COPING THIS ALTITUDE AND IDEOLOGY.?
THIS IS NOT BUILDING THE BODY OF CHRIST. THIS WITHOUT ANY DOUBT IS FRAUD AND IS ALREADY WEAKENING THE CHURCH FOUNDATION.
WE NO LONGER HEAR OF SALVATION, HELPING THE NEEDY OR GENUINE EVANGELISM. WE ARE ONLY INTERESTED IN BUILDING THE BIGGEST BUILDING, PULLING THE BIGGEST CROWD, HAVING THE MOST FLASHY PASTORS, WORLDLY PROSPERITIES ETC.

Funny enough in churches they sell wristbands handkerchiefs and etc. E.g redemption camp
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by christemmbassey(m): 7:07pm On Feb 05, 2016
Candour:
The Church started as a movement in Jerusalem...it got to Rome and became an Institution.... It spread round Europe and became a Culture.....it got to America and became a Business.....Europe and America exported their different variants to Africa and it became Confusion but Christ is coming back for the movement "

The saga of the African spiritual business man continues........
Oga Candour the poet! I dey hail ooo!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by daroz(m): 7:03am On Feb 06, 2016
This is the issue that have been bothering me for a while now. I have always complained that Nigeria churches always use all the verses in bible where money/giving is mentioned for their favour to exploit / extort members. And this is becoming a culture.
Infact this is the reason I left Christ Embassy in 2011 after spending over 5 years there. As soon as I left, my eyes became more opened.
So I joined one new church , whose founder seems more inclined to the pure undiluted word of God of salvation / deliverance. But within 2 or 3 years, her messages metamorphosed into the normal gospel of money , like it's d normal usual way of a typical nigerian pastor. Anytime she is preaching, you must rush out to drop money at the alter, if not you will not partake of the blessings attached to the message. You must pay (sow seed)for prayers and deliverance , pay for everything. Infact even if you are a new comer or old timer living in iniquity, as long as you are willing and able to be giving big, you will have and maintain a special seat in the front row.
This was the situation in the church before I relocated out of Nigeria. And on getting here, it was a different ball game. I have planned to write on this soon. I have a lot of things to talk about as regard this issue... that is comparing a typical Nigeria/ African Church to A Typical European Church.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 8:22am On Feb 06, 2016
daroz:
This is the issue that have been bothering me for a while now. I have always complained that Nigeria churches always use all the verses in bible where money/giving is mentioned for their favour to exploit / extort members. And this is becoming a culture.
Infact this is the reason I left Christ Embassy in 2011 after spending over 5 years there. As soon as I left, my eyes became more opened.
So I joined one new church , whose founder seems more inclined to the pure undiluted word of God of salvation / deliverance. But within 2 or 3 years, her messages metamorphosed into the normal gospel of money , like it's d normal usual way of a typical nigerian pastor. Anytime she is preaching, you must rush out to drop money at the alter, if not you will not partake of the blessings attached to the message. You must pay (sow seed)for prayers and deliverance , pay for everything. Infact even if you are a new comer or old timer living in iniquity, as long as you are willing and able to be giving big, you will have and maintain a special seat in the front row.
This was the situation in the church before I relocated out of Nigeria. And on getting here, it was a different ball game. I have planned to write on this soon. I have a lot of things to talk about as regard this issue... that is comparing a typical Nigeria/ African Church to A Typical European Church.

Most of Nigerian churches are only exploiting the poor and ignorant. The emphasis on money and giving is just immoral and a total deviation from what's commanded in the Bible.
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Candour(m): 9:21am On Feb 07, 2016
christemmbassey:
Oga Candour the poet! I dey hail ooo!!

I dey hail you too my dear brother grin
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by dankol: 1:59pm On Feb 07, 2016
this post got me cracking seriously and am forced to write here on nairaland after a long while. I cant just recall the last time i made a statement on nairaland but i have been following up a lot of thread. I recall back then, when i was very active in church, how i defended all kinds of doctrine provided it is passed down from the god of men. it continued until certain events changed my perspective and i began to do my research. i was shocked to realize that, these whole religion thing is a scam. Karl Marx was right when he said, religion is the opium of the people. Op, i was just like you, i decided to hold on to what i perceive is the truth as i stood against much of these doctrines. Yet, i made more research, logic and qualitative reasoning took religion from me. i see things the way they are. Though, i still go to church to stop wagging tongues and fulfill society righteousness. I am not here to say for or against anyone but to encourage everyone think deep within himself and do what he or she thinks its right. Recently, i saw the statistics of the welbeing of religious countries to non-religious countries. Am sure you can guess who is better off to who. But let me say this to the op and others in similar situation,
if you want to remain a faithful christian, STOP BEING CURIOUS i.e just focus on the bible and what you believe in it strictly ( though i wont advice such cos you seems to be a very curious fella, and the more you suppress, the less comfortable you will be). If you dont stop being curious, your Faith will give way to facts and figures. And that's why i barely want to engage in religous argument any longer. it is distinctively clear. FAITH IS NOT FACT let me give you an example, if is a fact all over the world that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, you standing where you are can prove it anytime any day but it is not so to faith, you just got to be believe whether it makes sense or not, and because you believe it does not make it a fact.
OR
You explore your curiosity and be either a nonchalant, passive and realistic xtian or perhaps an atheist. What do i mean by realistic, I work with what i see and can evaluate more than what i cant see or evaluate. For instance, there is this analogy a philosophy lecturer narrated during lectures, there is this poor lady with a sick kid who was about to die, the lady had no money on her to get drugs which is certain will save her kid, lo and behold, she went to a chemist/pharmacist to obtain the drug on credit, the chemist refused, she pleaded, the chemist refused. Luckily for her, the chemist was distracted by a call, the lady saw the drug she need to save her child's life, picked it and left the shop un-noticed to administer the drug to the child. The child lived. But the question here is, 'Was she right to have stolen to save the child or would you rather have her play the holiness thing and let the child die?'.

This is my take on religion, ' change is a constant thing, man is evolving, religion is evolving to that makes it closely related to man's way of thinking, permit to use to the bible as an example, in the old testament, God approved slavery and it was no where refuted in the new testament (I stand to be corrected). today, slavery is unacceptable anywhere in the world. Don't you think something is wrong somewhere? Now the bible is unfallible but it is already fallible in certain rules and approach to issues in our mindset and way of life. Moses believed in slavery, do you believe in slavery? I guess the answer is NO, thus, religion is a function change with respect to mindset and time of man'. My great grand parents were followers of some deities different from what i believe today because, they do not know what i know today. I can go on and on but i am quite sure you will not agree with me but i dare you to be challenged. My take, my opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by sparklekay(f): 3:00pm On Feb 07, 2016
....@dearpreye.Am not an RCCG member,but I advise you to either change your church,or stay where you are & keep quiet!...if you know you are being exploited in your church, why don't you leave??...if you are TRULY after the salvation of your soul(making heaven), why don't you go to a church where biblical principles are maintained?....by the way,can someone truly force you to give when you don't want to?...

pls,leave that branch(or church) & go to another church.You could go to churches like Omega fire ministries (OFM), MFM, and so on. I presently attend OFM, & i can attest to the fact that the word of God is preached there.We are in the end time. Anywhere you know dat you are being exploited, leave!....after all, God knows all you've done in the church,& He will reward you in due time, Not man.

My pastor @ the branch I attend,says dat rather Dan criticising your pastor for what he is doing wrong,it's better you leave the church.He said that pastor's grace will no longer work for you,as long as you keep criticising.if you want to keep on giving,give!...if you dont want to,pls leave.

why did you even bring this up on the internet?....you didn't even hide the name of your church?...Do you know dat you are indirectly calling out your G.O, pastor Adeboye??..Do you know what God can do to you because of this??...

pls,go & confess to God what you just did,& stop calling out MOG.This is one way d devil destroys lives.peace!..
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by dankol: 3:39pm On Feb 07, 2016
sparklekay:
....@dearpreye.Am not an RCCG member,but I advise you to either change your church,or stay where you are & keep quiet!...if you know you are being exploited in your church, why don't you leave??...if you are TRULY after the salvation of your soul(making heaven), why don't you go to a church where biblical principles are maintained?....by the way,can someone truly force you to give when you don't want to?...

pls,leave that branch(or church) & go to another church.You could go to churches like Omega fire ministries (OFM), MFM, and so on. I presently attend OFM, & i can attest to the fact that the word of God is preached there.We are in the end time. Anywhere you know dat you are being exploited, leave!....after all, God knows all you've done in the church,& He will reward you in due time, Not man.

My pastor @ the branch I attend,says dat rather Dan criticising your pastor for what he is doing wrong,it's better you leave the church.He said that pastor's grace will no longer work for you,as long as you keep criticising.if you want to keep on giving,give!...if you dont want to,pls leave.

why did you even bring this up on the internet?....you didn't even hide the name of your church?...Do you know dat you are indirectly calling out your G.O, pastor Adeboye??..Do you know what God can do to you because of this??...

pls,go & confess to God what you just did,& stop calling out MOG.This is one way d devil destroys lives.peace!..

lool, so God will purnish him for being sincere and truthful right. seriously, Nigerians needs help. so pathetic

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 3:45pm On Feb 07, 2016
dankol:

lool, so God will purnish him for being sincere and truthful right. seriously, Nigerians needs help. so pathetic

I didn't even bother replying her. Nigerians really need help.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by TrajansKong: 4:30pm On Feb 07, 2016
sparklekay:

So many Nigerian Christians live and die as slaves. Terrified, dumb, hysterical slaves.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Do Atheists Love Bashing Religion? / The World Will End And Armageddon Will Come On Or Before Year 2000- Watchtower / Why Most Terrorists Are Muslims.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.