Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,105 members, 7,845,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

Enugu-onitsha Expressway Death Trap - Chidi Nobis-elendu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu-onitsha Expressway Death Trap - Chidi Nobis-elendu (1064 Views)

The Death Trap Called Abuja-Okene-Benin Highway (Photos) / Reconstruction Of Enugu-Onitsha Expressway, Lauretta Onochie Mocks PDP / Photos Of The Present State Of Enugu-Onitsha Expressway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Enugu-onitsha Expressway Death Trap - Chidi Nobis-elendu by vivianblog1(f): 2:22pm On Jan 18, 2016
I travelled from Enugu to the High Court, Onitsha, this morning to handle a high profile kidnap case which I am Prosecuting with the Fiat of the Attorney-General of Anambra State. It took me 2 hours 46 minutes to navigate through the erosion - devastated road plying through the four corner end leading to Oji River and veering into the 'express' at the Amansea bypass. Entering into the capital city, I passed through 3 flyovers under construction between the Aroma junction and the Amansea junction under a distance of less than a kilometer. A desirable but misplaced priority development infrastructure. From Awkuzu Junction through Umunya to Ogbunike/Nkwelle Ezunaka junction, it was a ding dong affair as our vehicle was engaged in the dance of Atilògwù galloping into and over chains of gullies, pot holes and pits as we had to hold firmly unto the handrails for stability lest we knock our heads on the door frames or glasses. It was indeed a sour journey.
By the time i got to the court premises, i was already tired and worn out with my joints paining. When I eventually got into the court, it was already 10am! The court had called up the case, but in judicious exercise of judicial function, stood it down for 11am, in spite application from the accused counsel to strike out the case. The court took judicial notice of my attitude as a stickler to time and punctuality.
My worry now is how to set back on that road to the Federal High Court, Enugu, tomorrow. And this brings me to the fundamental question of our collective predicament under the current regime of inept representation at both the state and national assembly, and decadent leadership of the Igbo race.
A proactive leadership and representation would have by now originated an action plan towards engaging both the state and federal government towards effecting the much needed rehabilitation of that expressway. But no! What our leaders and representatives are more concerned with is the greasing, or is it lining of their pockets, and cornering all government contracts for their personal aggrandisement and enrichment neglecting their primary responsibility to the society. I am crying out to the public and to all Facebook patrons to give voice to this sad situation and use ll forms of civil approach to get to our leaders and representatives to take immediate steps to see to the rehabilitation of this 'express' road before it is too late. In less than 3 months from now the rains will visit. If nothing is done now, I am afraid, by may this year, we may not have any road to travel on from Onitsha to Enugu and vice versa. And please do not remind me of the old road. In the next 2 months, the old road will also be a death trap and you know why: all heavy duty trucks, trailers and lorries, all buses and what have you now make use of that old road. Thanks to PDP. Thanks to Jonathan. Thanks to inept leadership and representation. Thanks to docile followership and citizenry.
Ndigbo, ndo nu.