Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,407 members, 7,861,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 03:32 AM

Update On Military 'invasion' Of Niger Delta - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Update On Military 'invasion' Of Niger Delta (839 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu's House After Military Invasion In Umuahia (Photos) / Lawyers Speak On Military Declaration Of IPOB As Terrorist Group / Photo Of Soldier Killed After Boko Haram Attack On Military Zone In Borno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Update On Military 'invasion' Of Niger Delta by abila122: 6:00pm On Jan 18, 2016
Hostilities and sporadic shootings have allegedly resumed in the creeks following more attacks on oil facilities by youths believed to be loyalists of the ex-militant Chief Government Ekpemupolo (alias Tompolo).

While the attacks accompanied with sporadic shootings in Gbaramatu Kingdom lasted, the entire Ijaw speaking communities in Delta State are under siege by thousands of military men.

In Gbaramatu the fierce looking military men heavily armed are seen brandishing their guns, while residents have allegedly deserted their homes for fear of the unknown.

However, the state commissioner of police, Mr. Alkale Baba Usman has assured the people of safety, saying that the police and the military were on top of the situation, but the fleeing residents have appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari to prevail on the military men not to kill innocent persons.

The latest attacks could spread to Bayelsa State and other states of the region within days, if steps are not taken to stop the sinister plans of the angry Ijaw youths.

The joint media campaign centre co-coordinator of the JIF, Col. Isa Ado had told journalists in Warri, that the situation was becoming precarious hence more military men were deployed to Gbaramatu kingdom to ensure law and order.

Security sources have insisted that Tompolo and his nephew were directly in control of the operation along with his close allies and other supporters who allegedly led the destruction of oil facilities in Warri North local government area of the state on Thursday.

Investigation revealed that dozens of ex-militants have returned to creeks in Warri in what is believed to be preparation for more onslaughts on oil facilities, security operatives and communities.

Residents of Gbarmatu Kingdom who spoke to our correspondent said there has been heavy shootings inside the creeks.

Reports said that oil and gas pipelines in the creeks of Gbaramutu and Ugborodo areas of Warri, South West and those in Egbema north local government area were struck in the early hours of Sunday, leaving confusion and fear in the entire Ijaw communities.

Sources told LEADERSHIP that the ex-militants parade weapons more in number and sophistication than those used in previous crisis.

A source familiar with the terrain said: “Boats are not moving as they used to, shootings are in sporadic manners, the ex-militants were seen dressed in war attires, they are giving directives to their members and supporters but the soldiers are prepared to deal with them”.

Meanwhile the gas pipeline which runs from Alero Creeks to Escravos have been destroyed in the latest attacks, while several crude lines were sabotaged with Makaraba, Otunana Cilton-Nana, Abiteye and Diabi flow stations bombed by the militants.

It has been alleged that the crisis was apparently in reaction to last Thursday’s order by a Federal High Court for the arrest of Tompolo in connection with an alleged N34billion fraud.

… Tompolo Write PMB Over Bombing Of Oil Facilities

The most wanted ex-militant leader in the Niger Delta region, High Chief Government Ekpemupolo popularly known as Tompolo yesterday sent a protest letter to President Muhammadu Buhari over alleged plot by some members of the rulling All Progressives Congress (APC) from Bayelsa and Delta states to frame him and present him as the sponsor of the bomb attacks against oil facilities in the region.

TompoloAccording to Tompolo, though he has repeatedly denied involvement in the alleged case of N13billion land deal fraud and bombing of oil facilities leveled against him, the investigation by him showed that the desperate plot to hang him is allegedly being hatched by the governorship candidate of the APC in Bayelsa State, a lawyer attached to the Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) and one of his kinsmen within Delta State.

Tompolo, in the protest letter made available to newsmen yesterday in Yenagoa, alleged that the anger of the governorship candidate of the APC in Bayelsa State, Chief Timipre Sylva and others involved in the plot are political and personal against his perceived influence in the region.

The letter reads in part: “I want you to beware of some of your party members in Bayelsa and Delta states.I wish to inform you that it has come to my knowledge that the leader of your party and governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC in Bayelsa and a few young men from Warri South West LGA of Delta State who joined the party from the Peoples Democratic Party,PDP,after the 2015 presidential election are hell bent on linking me to the renewed vandalisation of oil facilities in the Niger Delta region,whereas they are the ones carrying out the act to smear my name.

“They are doing this in connivance with the Economic and Financial Crime Commission, EFCC lawyer,who is also a member of your party, is at the forefront of prosecuting me because I refused to buy property from him.

The crux of this letter is to let you know them that,they are dubious, mischievious, desperate,pretentious, manipulative and corrupt,therefore do not share the same vision and mission with you,as well as do not believe in good governance.

“ I will briefly tell you some of their antecedents in this letter.The leader of your party in Bayelsa State approached me shortly after my meeting with you in Abuja,that I should accompany him to meet you and plead for him to be appointed as Special Adviser, SA and Chairman of the Presidential Amnesty programme committee,which I refused to do because of his antecedents, as not a reliable and trustworthy person.

“ It was thereafter he forced his way into the governorship election of the state,which almost tear the state apart with violence,beginning with the party primary in which he demonstrated a high level of desperation as was recounted by the chairman of the committee and governor of Edo State,Comrade Adams Oshiomhole.”

In another development, the Okpala-Uku of Umusadege, Utagba-Uno, Ndokwa West local government area of Delta State, Ogbu-Ewu Egbononwu Ojugbeli has raised the alarm over threat to peace in his domain and postponed the annual general meeting of the community.

According to the Okpala-Uku, as a result of the imminent and confirmed threat, the annual general meeting of the community scheduled for Monday, 18th January, 2016(tomorrow) has been postponed.

The Okpala-Uku who also wrote a save our soul letter to the Commissioner of Police, Delta State Command said the cancellation of the annual general meeting was unavoidable in the interest of peace in the community.

“There is a plot to cause trouble in the community during the annual general meeting and I cannot fold my hands and allow such to happen.Our governor, Dr Ifeanyi Okowa should use his good offices to intervene, all security agencies, especially, the police should take note of this development,” the Okpala-Uku said, adding, “crisis of any kind can only take us back, we have a new government in the state, we want a peaceful state, a peaceful community.”

In a letter to the police, the Okpala-Uku said, “I, Egbononwu Ojugbeli, the Okpala-Uku (traditional ruler) of Umusadege community, Utagba-Uno, hereby, write to notify you of the postponement of Umusadege annual general meeting earlier scheduled for January 18, 2016 in my palace owing to an imminent threat to peace and security. I most sincerely implore the Commissioner of Police, Delta State Command to deploy policemen to Umusadege, Utagba-Uno on Monday, the 18th of January, 2016 to enforce this cancellation and help maintain peace and order in my community.”

He added, “I sincerely appeal to all the Ikpalas and other interests with contrary or divergent views to religiously respect the culture and tradition of our people by hearkening to the voice of wisdom and reason by keeping the peace and remain law abiding.”

SOURCE: http://nigerianewsonline.com.ng/update-on-military-invasion-of-niger-delta/
Re: Update On Military 'invasion' Of Niger Delta by mcee1(m): 6:05pm On Jan 18, 2016
The Innocent civilians should not worry. PMB love south south and Niger deltans. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Update On Military 'invasion' Of Niger Delta by viktor88: 6:06pm On Jan 18, 2016
Government vs Government
Re: Update On Military 'invasion' Of Niger Delta by Edwinmason(m): 6:13pm On Jan 18, 2016
Tompolo or his allies is not my concern.............but d innocent people who suffer for this shameful act
Re: Update On Military 'invasion' Of Niger Delta by babyfaceafrica: 6:15pm On Jan 18, 2016
No one can win a war against the government
Re: Update On Military 'invasion' Of Niger Delta by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jan 18, 2016
From this whole story it seems Timpreye Sylva is the one planning this because the Militants never supported him.
When will greediness stop?.

(1) (Reply)

Saraki And His Devilish Act: Kwarans In Captivity. / BREAKING: James Ibori Re-arrested After Been Released From UK Prison. / Buhari’s Shocking Insensitivity Is Going Global

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.