Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,206 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? (8612 Views)

What Will Be Your Reaction If Your Wife Do This To You. / What Should A Wife Do With Her Incomes? / Guys, Would You Let Your Wife Do This To You On Your Wedding Day? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by gen2genius(m): 5:15pm On Jun 23, 2009
Keep it for herself, parents and siblings and occasionally support her husband or combine her earnings with her husband's to cater for the immediate family?

A woman raised the alarm, sometime ago, accusing her husband of asking her to share in the household expenses (even though he was to bear the greater burden). I was shocked because I thought marriage was supposed to be a partnership where things were shared/done together for mutual benefits.

What's your opinion?
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by Fhemmmy: 6:14pm On Jun 23, 2009
I think the husband takes care of the big expenses and the wife take care of the petty bills.
The husband pays the mortgage and the woman pays the phone bills.
Whatever they have left, they should save and take care of things that are out of the house.
The man and the woman should take care of the family equally as far as i am concerned.
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by muyoto: 6:25pm On Jun 23, 2009
she should give everything to her husband! cheesy
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by Fhemmmy: 6:33pm On Jun 23, 2009
muyoto:

she should give everything to her husband! cheesy

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! why is that?
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by gen2genius(m): 6:35pm On Jun 23, 2009
I share your view, Fhemmmy wink

Muyoto, you be soldier? shocked grin grin
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by gen2genius(m): 6:40pm On Jun 23, 2009
And I can stop wondering why some women/men are stingy with money in their marriages. Why would someone want to keep their earnings away from their partner? If two become one in marriage, shouldn't their finances become "one" too?
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by noetic2: 6:55pm On Jun 23, 2009
gen2genius:

Keep it for herself, parents and siblings and occasionally support her husband or combine her earnings with her husband's to cater for the immediate family?

A woman raised an alarm, sometime ago, accusing her husband of asking her to share in the household expenses (even though he was to bear the greater burden). I was shocked because I thought marriage was supposed to be a partnership where things were shared/done together for mutual benefits.

What's your opinion?

She should do the same things are husband does with his money.
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by Fhemmmy: 7:10pm On Jun 23, 2009
gen2genius:

And I can stop wondering why some women/men are stingy with money in their marriages. Why would someone want to keep their earnings away from their partner? If two become one in marriage, shouldn't their finances become "one" too?

Sometimes, it is nice to keep just a little portion for the raining day, however, pls, i am not saying the man hd keep it to spend on some aristo babes oh, must be for the household.
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jun 23, 2009
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by Fhemmmy: 8:35pm On Jun 23, 2009
chaircover:

Spend it on her family (I mean her husband & kids) and keep some for a rainy day

I always dey gbadun you.
I think the raining day keep is always so important, cos you never know when it will come handy.
One Pal of mine once said, once every 7 years, there is always a major expenses that we never planned for, and i think he is right, that has changed how i invest and spend.
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jun 23, 2009
//
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by Fhemmmy: 9:00pm On Jun 23, 2009
Send me his number and i will call him
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by mamagee3(f): 2:22am On Jun 25, 2009
Give it to me. grin
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by Nobody: 4:06am On Jun 25, 2009
1. Pay her bills as discussed between her and her husband
2. Take care of her children
3. Take care of the house
4. Take care of her herself and her husband
5. Save (budgets)
6. Family vac
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by IFELEKE(m): 11:08am On Jun 25, 2009
I asked a colleague(lady) beside me this question and she said she will never use her money on anything her husband is supposed to take care of. . .Imagine that pathetic statement.
@Topic,
Personally, I intend to provide all that is needed in my home but I expect my wife to cater for the petty things I overlook or forget to treat.
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by origina9ja(f): 11:13am On Jun 25, 2009
see as Narialand guys dey 9ice 4 here
outside this forum i can guarantee you they do the opposite tongue
very typical loool
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by pek(m): 12:56pm On Jun 25, 2009
its a two way traffic
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by Fhemmmy: 12:57pm On Jun 25, 2009
pek:

its a two way traffic

Define the ways.
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by yommyflo(m): 1:12pm On Jun 25, 2009
give the money to your hon
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by chykeo(m): 1:38pm On Jun 25, 2009
In marriage, two becomes one. Although I quite agree it is the duty of the man to take care of his houseld. Most major expenses are for the man and 1 Timothy 5:8 said that if any man is not able to provide for his family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an infidel. That said , I think we all know that monetary issues always cause problems in marriages. If we begin to apply this biblical instruction as firmly as it is, then women will have to keep thier money for themselves.

Should that be the case? There will always be problems in the house. Has anyone wondered what will happen in a house where the wife earns 400% more than the husband and because of her status they are living in a duplex in VGC while the poor guys take home pay cannot pay the rent?The question here WHAT SHOULD A GOOD WIFE DO WITH HER EARNINGS

A good wife should hand her entire earnings to her husband. For peace and tranquility in the home. She should not at all give the impression that she is the one running the home.  She should even be on her knees when handing the money to the man and say my lord, this is my salary for the month. Yes Sarah called Abraham my lord and she is the epitome of a good wife. In Genesis 3:16, when God was punishing Eve after they disobeyed, God said to her; I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.  KJV

So a good wife she abide by those christian teachings.

My opinion. Constructive counter arguments are welcome. Insults are just a reflection of the character of the person who insults and shall be ignored.
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by Fhemmmy: 1:43pm On Jun 25, 2009
chykeo:

I WHAT SHOULD A GOOD WIFE DO WITH HER EARNINGS

A good wife should hand her entire earnings to her husband. For peace and tranquility in the home. She should not at all give the impression that she is the one running the home.  She should even be on her knees when handing the money to the man and say my lord, this is my salary for the month. Yes Sarah called Abraham my lord and she is the epitome of a good wife. In Genesis 3:16, when God was punishing Eve after they disobeyed, God said to her; I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.  KJV

So a good wife she abide by those christian teachings.

My opinion. Constructive counter arguments are welcome. Insults are just a reflection of the character of the person who insults and shall be ignored.

What if the husband is a useless spender?
What if the woman is more of a prudent wife?
So how is the share of the expenses gonna be?
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by tkb417(m): 1:51pm On Jun 25, 2009
when we get married, all issues/expenses partaining to running the house, investment and leisure would have been discussed, agreement made and afterwards, things will just be playing itself out according to our pre-arrangements.
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by chykeo(m): 1:56pm On Jun 25, 2009
Fhemmmy:

What if the husband is a useless spender?
What if the woman is more of a prudent wife?
So how is the share of the expenses gonna be?

Ceteris paribus: We are talking of an ideal home here.

If on the other hand, the husband is a useless spender like you said, the woman is more of a prudent wife, then she should not give him her earnings and begin to take care of the family.

Let me quickly add here that good homes and families are made more by the women. So each case should be treated on its own merit.
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by pek(m): 2:08pm On Jun 25, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Define the ways.

you give, the other way takes. you take, the other person gives. its a relationship and there are bound to be sacrifices.
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by emmydee(m): 2:10pm On Jun 25, 2009
she should first present it to her huby. then it's advisable to share it into two. let her use part for her personal upkeep then half for household feeding. depending on how big it is. she should save part in a joint account 4 d rainy days!
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by Fhemmmy: 2:18pm On Jun 25, 2009
chykeo:

Ceteris paribus: We are talking of an ideal home here.

If on the other hand, the husband is a useless spender like you said, the woman is more of a prudent wife, then she should not give him her earnings and begin to take care of the family.

Let me quickly add here that good homes and families are made more by the women. So each case should be treated on its own merit.

But i think most companies pays into the bank account, so i think will be better if the money is paid into an account and then, move it into whoever is more prudent, however, spending has to be mutual, cos money could cause wahala too oh, a prudent person cld become something else, when the star of money shines.
But you right sha, and i feel you.
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by zealdrive: 2:20pm On Jun 25, 2009
spend part on petty things that will be needed in the home and her personal upkeep and save the rest.
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by jumie(f): 2:25pm On Jun 25, 2009
zealdrive:

spend part on petty things that will be needed in the home and her personal upkeep and save the rest.

I agree, with you. She could also spend the money on the kids.
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by chykeo(m): 2:32pm On Jun 25, 2009
Fhemmmy:

But i think most companies pays into the bank account, so i think will be better if the money is paid into an account and then, move it into whoever is more prudent, however, spending has to be mutual, cos money could cause wahala too oh, a prudent person cld become something else, when the star of money shines.
But you right sha, and i feel you.

Good. The joint account thing can be problematic atimes. I think the good thing should if there is an effective communication between both parties. They know who is spendthrift. In that case the other one holds much of the income. If they have salary accounts, they should also have a joint account and the one who manages money the money better will now keep the savings account for the family in case of an eventuality or for any project the family may have. But no woman should give out the impressions she runs the family. It begins the break up of the home.
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by itumama: 2:40pm On Jun 25, 2009
Ceteris paribus: all things being equal.
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by Fhemmmy: 2:45pm On Jun 25, 2009
chykeo:

Good. The joint account thing can be problematic atimes. I think the good thing should if there is an effective communication between both parties. They know who is spendthrift. In that case the other one holds much of the income. If they have salary accounts, they should also have a joint account and the one who manages money the money better will now keep the savings account for the family in case of an eventuality or for any project the family may have. But no woman should give out the impressions she runs the family. It begins the break up of the home.

Very true.
To be honest with you, i am not sure if i can deal with the drama of joint account.
i will prefer to have my own account and she has has, and we both fund the joint account from our individual accounts for the upkeep of the home, however, i will take care of the big things in the house and she take care of the petty things and when i am broke, i can go and "steal" from her tongue
Re: What Should A Good Wife Do With Her Earnings? by LadyT(f): 2:56pm On Jun 25, 2009
chaircover:

Spend it on her family (I mean her husband & kids) and keep some for a rainy day
Exactly!

Marriage is a partnership not slave/master

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Need A Flatmate / Fairly Used Household Items For Sale In Lagos. / A Friend Found This On Is Wife Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.