Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,566 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? (11471 Views)

The 6 Things Graduates Of Nigerian Public Universities Can Never Forget / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} / The State Of The English Language In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by Nobody: 9:56am On Jun 27, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

when you cant find jobs, abeg dont blame those in diaspora  cheesy

Don't mind them, you should have seen some bitter posts when they discussed how Nigerian companies were hiring Nigerian people from the Diaspora.
They went on and on about how its about "children of the elite" and all the usual excuses.
They will complain that "their" jobs are being taken away by the returnees who only know "theory" but not "practical" (Whatever that means) cheesy

omar22:

Is English Language a SKILL?

As to the person who asked if English language is a skill, you have no idea you are in a race, and sorry but yoruba, ibo, or hausa is not going to get you an international business or major account for your bank. If English isn't important, I wonder why I have met so many foreigners desperately trying to learn it. Thats because they know, that to compete in the job market, you need to be able to communicate and get your facts across, and that, is why English is a skill, and its for the same reason that French is the diplomatic language.

Chei! My generation!
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by TheSeeker(m): 10:49am On Jun 27, 2009
wavemasta:

As to the person who asked if English language is a skill, you have no idea you are in a race, and sorry but yoruba, ibo, or hausa is not going to get you an international business or major account for your bank. If English isn't important, I wonder why I have met so many foreigners desperately trying to learn it. Thats because they know, that to compete in the job market, you need to be able to communicate and get your facts across, and that, is why English is a skill, and its for the same reason that French is the diplomatic language.

Chei! My generation!

PLEASE RESOUND IT TO THEIR HEARING!
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by JoeGaruba: 5:38pm On Jun 27, 2009
The educational system in 9ja does not provide much in support of a sound English foundation.

You can not build something on nothing and expect it to stand.

Those that have a good command of the language got extra help somewhere (books, magazines, TV and speaking with like minds.)
The Latinos in the US have the same problem.

I remember in secondary school the teacher was reading an essay she corrected and there were holes in the students write up.
We all had a big laugh at the unwilling volunteers script. Guess what? That was the best in the class! Gone are the days when clerks
spoke and wrote beautiful English. Education has been privatized. You need to pay up if you want your ward to meet up.

This original poster should reconsider the applications since he/she fell within the same broad stroke she painted us with.
I am ready for my English lessons now.

grin
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by chibaby5(f): 5:41pm On Jun 27, 2009
ROTFLMAO ! ! !. . . . cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy kinda true sha cheesy
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by larsinii: 10:07pm On Jun 27, 2009
So many stupid people, so little ammunition. All these idiots coming in here are like the fools I grew up with that made fun of me for knowing the meanings of words they had never heard of. While they were glued to TV's I was reading novels by the hundreds . The point of this post is not to point out that the op made a couple errors, The objective is to point out the sad excuse for English speakers/writers that Nigerian grads are. I'm surprised the op didn't mention all those "teachers" that continuously shelled us poor students when I was in Secondary school. And to the guy that said that the English of people in India is bad, I don't recall speaking to any Indian person(outsourced call) whose English was not immaculate. English is the new Latin, evolve or go the way of the dinosaur. wink
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by lastpage: 10:15pm On Jun 27, 2009
@MUZBO
@chuckvyl, I disagree that our local languages be used to teach science. How would you for example describe acceleration due to gravity in Yoruba or in your language. The English, Greeks and all discovered these things and did extensive work on them so it is easier learning it in that original language. If we discovered it ourselves then your suggestion will work well. Anyway, if it will make you feel better, we can use Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa to teach yahoozee. We didn't even discover it but we've done extensive work on it. MAGA don enter Nigerian diction, very soon hin fit enter English dictionary.

Indulge me a bit, the "highlighted parts" refers.

I am Yoruba, so l will use Yoruba as an example: (dont expect a word-4-word conversion, it does not work that way, the crux of any translation is to convey the "same and exact" meaning of what is being translated)

Acceleration due to gravity equals 10m/s.   (in Yoruba)  =}  ἳpèlé i'sáré okùn-fà wáálè, jéé Ộgbờn'ἲgứnpá níí ìséjú 'akán

Explanation:          Word                                   meaning                
                             ἳpèlé                                   increase
                             i'sáré                                  Speed/motion
                             okùn-fà’wáálè                    downward pull
                             jéé                                      equals
                            Ộgbờn ἲgứnpá                     30 feet (10m = 30feet)
                            níí ìséjú 'akán                      per one second (the blink of an eye of a crab, go measure it!  tongue)

Read as "the increase in speed (acceleration) caused by the downward pull (gravity) is 30ft/second (or 10m/s)"

Think about it, If there is a Yoruba Bible, Igbo Bible, e.t.c, originally in English, The "Samuel Ajayi Crowthers of this world are still capable of repeating the feat, we only need to do EXTENSIVE WORK ON IT!

Lets put "our Money where our Mouth is".
"Impossible" is only found in the bosom of the weaklings".
We're a gifted people, where there is a will, there is a way.
I say YES WE CAN.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As per poor nuances and "grammatical bombs" among our graduates,
it's a reflection of the gradual rot in our educational system, which in turn, is a small part (microcosm) of our larger society.
Like a fish, if the head is rotten, what do you expect of the other parts?

Not that the Americans and Europeans are way better, as a matter of fact, they use to wonder when they hear a Nigerian speak flawless English, far better than the sloppy ones they speak since 'we learn it' while 'they grew-up' with it!

My Parents could write and speak impeccable English and from "yaaro", we've all been taught the importance of good diction (I remember when l was in "form 2" of secondary school and some "seniors" would bully me, taking advantage of my diminutive appearance and l would go to lay a complaint in the staff room. Even when l am in the wrong (it is forbidden for "juniors" to walk across a "senior class" in the good old days grin), l usually sway the teachers to my side and get the seniors punished because my spoken English was just too much for the lousy seniors to match and l usually exaggerate and do a few fabrications which are only possible if you have a good command of the language! It usually leave the seniors stumping mad!!grin ). I still have my "Best Student in English" Prize-Cert, for my WAEC exams

In summary, good command of the language is definitely a plus and could just separate the "men from the boys", when the chips are down.

Best way to improve your command of the language:
*Read voraciously (l do read any kind of paper wrappings, even popcorn and groundnut paper wrappings) like you're on a mission. Novels, comic books, Newspapers, e.t.c
*If you meet new words, use your dictionary and learn the different parts of speech of that word and their usage
*make it a pastime to identify and correct the error in the 'tenses' of others (not to their face o!)
*Cultivate good pronunciation, like some "Aje-butter", even if you are a "ghetto product" like me grin wink
* Be wary of adopting the "spellings of Phone text" in daily communications, it will bastardize your overall English! ( i knw tex dey cos moni wel wel! cry )
*Finally, pick up your pen and write letters (love letters inclusive) to everyone you care about (now you know why my posts are usually very lengthy, right? its an addiction)

Hmmm, l don nearly turn 2lecturer! shocked
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by Ndipe(m): 12:05am On Jun 28, 2009
Sometimes, we tend to overdo, critiquing people for their mastery of a foreign language, when the natives sometimes make mistakes when expressing themselves.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by Liyola(m): 12:47pm On Jun 28, 2009
Na Xpo dey cause am jo.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:09pm On Jun 28, 2009
The point of this post is not to point out that the op made a couple errors, The objective is to point out the sad excuse for English speakers/writers that Nigerian grads are

Exactly. All these excuses are so pathetic
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by omar22(m): 5:13pm On Jun 28, 2009
Is English language a skill?

NO NO NO

Its an ability,  far from a Skill

An ability to speak it fluently
An ability to read it,

So if English Language is a skill, then Hausa language is also a skill.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by lastpage: 7:09pm On Jun 28, 2009
@Omar22
NO NO NO

Its an ability, far from a Skill

An ability to speak it fluently
An ability to read it,

So if English Language is a skill, then Hausa language is also a skill.

Omar22,
Without going into too much details;
English language has more than one part, fluent speech is just one!

Grammatical correctness is another. Tenses, Nuances, Pronunciation, e.t.c. are just some other parts!

The "ability" to master the various parts, is what constitutes "A SKILL". embarassed

You can be fluent (like most of those "Aje-butter", many of them actually fail use of English at WAEC level, so you see? grin) and still be woeful when it comes to English language skills.

My humble contribution.
Lastpage
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by chuckvyl(m): 6:34am On Jun 29, 2009
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/arts/article01//indexn2_html?pdate=290609&ptitle=At%20Forum%20experts%20says%20literature,%20mother-tongue,%20bedrock%20of%20culture
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by omar22(m): 12:23pm On Jun 29, 2009
Omar22,
Without going into too much details;
English language has more than one part, fluent speech is just one!

Grammatical correctness is another. Tenses, Nuances, Pronunciation, e.t.c. are just some other parts!

The "ability" to master the various parts, is what constitutes "A SKILL". 

You can be fluent (like most of those "Aje-butter", many of them actually fail use of English at WAEC level, so you see?  ) and still be woeful when it comes to English language skills.

My humble contribution.
Lastpage

Having a distinction in English Language doesn’t mean you are more equipped to be a speaker in the house of parliament, and then you mentioned pronunciation; well,so practically you’re saying that an Indian with an Indian accent would be at disadvantage because he/she couldn’t pronounce a word with the queens accent. This is another draw back on the Nigerian economy and an increase of unemployment. Tell me which role does English language play when securing an engineering position, or an analyst or an accountant?

I live in England, the best person gets the Job and not the person who could waffle his way through a job interview, they are so many people working in Europe, in high powered roles but their English is hideous, but as time goes on, they learn or improve, but these people are valuable to their organisation because of their skills to carry out their job is more important to them, other than how good their English is. Indians, Asians, Eastern Europeans etc. all have very good jobs despite the fact that their ability to speak fluent English is below the acceptable level, but its not an issue.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by Nezan(m): 1:22pm On Jun 29, 2009
omar22:

Having a distinction in English Language doesn’t mean you are more equipped to be a speaker in the house of parliament, and then you mentioned pronunciation; well know so practically you’re saying that an Indian with an Indian accent would be at disadvantage because he/she couldn’t pronounce a word with the queens accent. This is another draw back on the Nigerian economy and an increase of unemployment. Tell me which role does English language play when securing an engineering position, or an analyst or an accountant?

I live in England, the best person gets the Job and not the person who could waffle his way through a job interview, they are so many people working in Europe, in high powered roles but their English is hideous but as time goes on they learn or improve but these people are valuable to their organisation because of their skills to carry out their job is important to the other than who good their English is. Indians, Asians, Eastern Europeans etc.

That is wat I want us all to understand.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by azegba(m): 4:12pm On Jun 29, 2009
THANKS 4 UR OBSERVATIONS.
BUT IN REAL ANALYSIS, IT IS A CASE OF THE POT CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by sley4life(m): 10:03pm On Jun 29, 2009
too bad. i keep askn my self same que without any answer
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by AjanleKoko: 9:03am On Jun 30, 2009
I can't believe people are actually debating this! shocked shocked

Nigeria's official language of instruction is English. We didn't study in Yoruba or Hausa.

IMHO if anyone can't properly write a CV or cover letter in English, then they don't deserve a job.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by omar22(m): 10:02am On Jun 30, 2009
IMHO if anyone can't properly write a CV or cover letter in English, then they don't deserve a job.

Ermmmmmmmm they are people (even Companies) who could take care of your CV,
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by Nezan(m): 5:56pm On Jun 30, 2009
azegba:

THANKS 4 UR OBSERVATIONS.
BUT IN REAL ANALYSIS, IT IS A CASE OF THE POT CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK.

grin grin
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by ronald0: 6:36pm On Jun 30, 2009
At last this topic has been noted and discussed. I myself being a Nigerian living in the UK have found the use of grammar by Nigerian graduates quite appalling, yet there is this claim that the Nigerian standard of Education as being very high, which by the way is only recognised by Nigerians. I do believe as others have commented, that this may be due to Nigerians buying their certificates at different levels, Lecturers and teachers sleeping with female students and giving them high marks in their exam papers, poor quality of teachers and lecturers and the whole issue of fraud and mismanagement in our government system and our educational institutions.

So don't let us deceive ourselves any longer OUR EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM IS NOT AS GOOD AS WE THINK IT IS, SO LETS MAKE A CHANGE.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by afuye(m): 9:06pm On Jun 30, 2009
Actually we as Nigerian tends to spend the whole of our time speaking our indigenous language .
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by lastpage: 11:40pm On Jun 30, 2009
@Omar22
Having a distinction in English Language doesn’t mean you are more equipped to be a speaker in the house of parliament, and then you mentioned pronunciation; well know so practically you’re saying that an Indian with an Indian accent would be at disadvantage because he/she couldn’t pronounce a word with the queens accent. This is another draw back on the Nigerian economy and an increase of unemployment. Tell me which role does English language play when securing an engineering position, or an analyst or an accountant?
You have a way with "comparing Oranges with Apples" sha!
We are talking about "doing well, whatever is worth doing at all"!
This is not about the comatose, Nigerian 'political abracadabra'!! Its only in a depraved environment like ours, that you hear people "chorusing" 'Grammar no be money"!, Wetin be money?, Looting and Yahoozee??

This is about speaking/writing "good and correct English"  cry

I would suggest you write your C.V in Yoruba or Hausa, and take that your Engineering Analysis or Chartered Accounting Exam in Igbo language and lets see "how far you'd go"! grin 
A C.V is your first contact with a potential employer, for those versed in human capital recruitment, they can easily identify a sloppy, shady or completely run-of-the-mill candidate form your C.V. presentation, why else do we even make a C.V in the first place?
Your National Language is your National language, you're free to change it to PIDGIN if you want, but whatever it is, you must be "excellent" in it. No story.
A Chinese or Indian might speak and write poor English but test him on his "National Language" (Chinese or Indian Language) and you will get my drift.

I live in England, the best person gets the Job and not the person who could waffle his way through a job interview,
Again, another "Orange and Apple comparison"!
Am sure you're aware that too many people on this site also live in England so, its not an issue grin
Do they "waffle through" an interview in England? Not to my knowledge!

If a Polish man applies for a Plumbing job in England and he has the skills and the certification, he will get the job over a well-spoken Nigerian or even Briton (who does not posses the skill and Cert) but he got it because he met the "requirements" ----- its called COMPETENCY.

As a first language, as an "official language", Nigerians, (especially in Nigeria) are also expected to have COMPETENCY in ENGLISH.
That's one of the reasons people are asked to pass "TOEFL exams" before being given certain privileges in England, and such requirement is "waived" for some other nationals whose "first and official language" is not English.
Maybe you would suggest to British authorities that "Grammar no be money, please waive the damn requirement jooo"  grin

Ma bruvda, l agree that we have neglected the other important aspect of education which is "core technical skill" in our chosen vocations BUT it should not be at the expense of "quality, spoken and written English", both must go together for a complete education

Thank you and hope you're prepared for tomorrows temperature @31 degrees centigrade? wink
Cheers,
Lastpage

BTW: @Ajanlekoko
I can't believe people are actually debating this! Shocked Shocked

Nigeria's official language of instruction is English
. We didn't study in Yoruba or Hausa.

Ma Bruvda, abeg TOLD them o!  embarassed embarassed
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by Nobody: 10:02am On Jul 01, 2009
I would like to ask a humble question. What exactly is the "mothertongue" or "indigenous language" we are all talking about?
I am yoruba, and If I go to Ibo land or Enugu or somewhere in the east, and I speak yoruba to them, and they speak Ibo to me,
how will I understand? If an Ibo man goes to the north, how will he communicate?
Point is there is no unifying "mother tongue" at all, for Nigeria. Not with 3 ethnic groups and over a 100 (If I am not mistaken) Minorities.
Most of which will chaff at learning another Nigerian language, because, its not their "mother tongue".
Is it pidgin english? Well it is spoken in cameroon, sierra leone, Benin Republic, and Nigeria, so it is not "Nigerian" or exclusive to us.
With english, an educated Ibo guy can flow with an educated yoruba man or woman.
I am not against learning our tribal languages. But english is the official language of Nigeria, and to compete in the international market, it is needed.
Why don't you, like someone said, take your JAMB english, in pidgin, and see what happens?
You will then be complaining that "there are no jobs in this country".
Wole Soyinka, that people like to use an excuse, for getting mediocre grades in school, had a Nobel Prize in literature, for ENGLISH.
We all want to identify with his accomplishment. So lets stop deceiving ourselves.
With all the replies I see here, I can conclude that the hell most of us complain about in our country is largely the fault of the individual.
You cannot get a job earning 500k as a top executive who can communicate well in english, and knows his stuff, if you have this "english is not my mothertongue" mentality.
Write your medical exams, and your certifications in pidgin, or Hausa, or Yoruba, I wish you the best. Just don't come on NL posting hateful messages about how "Children of the elite" are coming from diaspora and "stealing" your jobs. And don't start hating on people who put in the effort and investment in university and life, and are reaping the rewards.
Learning our culture is good, and nice, and should be encouraged, but please, Yoruba is not going to help me communicate with the rest of Nigeria, talk less of the world. Nor is it going to net me that international deal (which we all dream of jamming grin)
You have no idea how many people are surprised when they hear me speak English, and know I am from Nigeria. They begin asking me questions like "Do you speak English there? " (Translation "We felt all you Nigerians were uneducated and only did yahooze"wink.
I was in a group with 6 other Chinese. I was made group leader. Unanimously. Why? I spoke good English and was confident.
I am sure they hadn't seen that in a black man talk less of a Nigerian before.
Lets not bring ourselves and our country down, and be progressive.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by Nezan(m): 12:29pm On Jul 01, 2009
na wa-o
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by yelanst(m): 10:18am On Jul 03, 2009
uchek or whatever u call urself, better remove the log in ur own eyes b4 u remove the tiny particle in anothers eye.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by yelanst(m): 10:26am On Jul 03, 2009
YOUNG MAN, BETTER REMOVE THE LOG IN UR OWN EYES B4 U REMOVE THE TINY PARTICLE IN ANOTHERS EYE. 4 VERILY I SAY UNTO U; WITH THE SAME MANNER THOU JUDGE OTHERS, SO SHALL THOU BE JUDGED.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by lastpage: 5:31am On Jul 04, 2009
"Preech-sheet" , Pastor!
shocked grin lipsrsealed

Lastpage
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by funkygirl: 8:31pm On Jul 04, 2009
what our universities are teaching undergraduate has nothing to do with improving their language. a true student should individually study so as to improve their skill. they are not to be spoon fed anylonger. it is left to the individual to embark on a total man development
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by ifyebere(m): 11:28pm On Jul 04, 2009
Wel wel, i think' the enviroment, nd ppl u associate with ( ur peers) could be d major cause. But av in mind tht som pple can speak bt wouldn't knw hw 2 write.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:07am On Jul 05, 2009
Like you for example.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by lastpage: 12:49am On Jul 06, 2009
@ThiefOfHearts!
Like you for example.
Mama Mia!  cry lipsrsealed
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by beefy23(m): 11:18am On Jul 26, 2009
Normally I like to be a silent bystander on these posts but I must confess this has been one of the most hilarious that I've read on NL for a while.

Walahi it has been humorous. There have been some very good points that quite a few people have posted here and perhaps a few silly ones. I won't name names to protect the innocent and the guilty.

I'll add my own 0.02c, we're living in a very competitive world right now. It takes a lot to stay at the forefront of the pack. You would be doing yourself an injustice if you didn't do all that's in your power to ensure you have a good shot at competing as effectively as you can.

At the end of the day, if you can speak/write English well, you will benefit; if you can't you alone will also bear the brunt. It's all about choices and what you decide to do with them. Whatever a man sows that will he also reap.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Need Admission Without Jamb Into Any University. / World's Largest Known Spider (bird-eating Spider) / Questions And Answers On The Life Changer JAMB Novel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.