Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:33 PM

SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment (18963 Views)

NCC To Sanction Telcos For Poor Services / Why NCC Directed Big Telcos To Increase Data Tariffs – official / NCC To Sanction MTN, Airtel, Globacom Over Auto Data Service Migration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by barbstee(m): 7:16am On Jan 22, 2016
SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment
By Chima Akwaja
— Jan 21, 2015

The federal government has decried the way and manner Nigerians, especially women, are being treated in their bid to comply with the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) directive on the registration of the subscriber identification module (SIM) in use, threatening to deal with erring telecom companies henceforth.

A statement by the special assistant on media to the minister of communications, Mr Adebayo Shittu, Mr Victor Oluwadamilar, said that this has become necessary, following the barrage of compliants by telecoms subscribers across the country.

According to him, “The minister’s office had been inundated with complaints from Nigerians, particularly women in veil, over the way they were being treated, sometimes humiliated, by the workers of telecommunications companies nationwide.

“In some of the complaints, women in pudah were required to remove their veils in public despite requests by such women that a place should be provided for them away from public glare and for only female officials to attend to them. All entreaties by these women failed, rather they were allegedly accused of being Boko Haram agents and refused registration after several altercations ensued in some of the registration centres.”

The minister, who frowned at the development, urged the telecommunications companies involved to accord maximum respect to Nigerian, particularly women, by respecting their feminine nature and religious disposition, moreso since the Nigerian Constitution has guaranteed the right to freedom of thought, conscience, and religion of all citizens and that such right should never be violated by executive or administrative lawlessness, high handedness, and insensitivity.

He noted that Nigerians deserve unreserved apologies from the concerned telecoms companies, saying that it is inhuman and unacceptable to treat Nigerians in such a cruel manner as it is a universal maxim that the right of even minorities are respected worldwide. He, therefore, urged the telecommunications companies to train and retrain their workers on the right and more civilized ways of treating their customers, adding that sanction may be applied against any erring company that refuse to comply with the policy of the Nigerian government under the change agenda of President Muhammadu Buhari.

http://leadership.ng/news/493700/sim-registration-fg-sanction-telcos-customers-harassment

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by powerfulsettingz: 7:17am On Jan 22, 2016
then NCC too should shift the dead line a little bit
am an mtn worker I can imagine what I will be facing again today at work with the crowd

18 Likes

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Imortal001: 7:18am On Jan 22, 2016
Good
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Danzakidakura(m): 7:19am On Jan 22, 2016
terrorist always defending their people.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Junior66(m): 7:32am On Jan 22, 2016
It was his wife afterall. After the disgracing manner in which his wife conducted herself, rather than apologise to Nigerians and the Nigerian Police he still has the temerity to issue threats. Well, only in Africa.

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by EmNaija: 7:37am On Jan 22, 2016

EMNAIJA is a new platform were Nigerians all over the world can share information and update on issues concerning Nigeria. ..

let's move Nigeria forward

Join us at [url]EmNaija.com/signup[/url]
Facebook[url]Facebook.com/EmNaija[/url]
Twitter [url]twitter.com/emnaija[/url]
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by barbstee(m): 7:41am On Jan 22, 2016
Junior66:
It was his wife afterall. After the disgracing manner in which his wife conducted herself, rather than apologise to Nigerians and the Nigerian Police he still has the temerity to issue threats. Well, only in Africa.
bt u were nt there to knw wht actually happened i knw of some cases like d minister said too.But only in Africa will ppl say thns they knw nothn abt

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Godfullsam(m): 7:43am On Jan 22, 2016
They should be sanctioned for sending useless SMS everyday especially em tea hen grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Junior66(m): 7:56am On Jan 22, 2016
barbstee:

bt u were nt there to knw wht actually happened i knw of some cases like d minister said too.But only in Africa will ppl say thns they knw nothn abt
were u there too? The fact that she insulted the policewoman and refused to take off her veil for the pix is enuf. Was she born with the veil?

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by barbstee(m): 8:06am On Jan 22, 2016
Junior66:

were u there too? The fact that she insulted the policewoman and refused to take off her veil for the pix is enuf. Was she born with the veil?

offcourse i wsnt bt i told u i knw of some cases dt ws d way d minister said.he said this

“In some of the complaints, women in pudah were required to remove their veils in public despite requests by such women that a place should be provided for them away from public glare and for only female officials to attend to them. All entreaties by these women failed, rather they were allegedly accused of being Boko Haram agents and refused registration after several altercations ensued in some of the registration centres.”

7 Likes

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Acidosis(m): 8:51am On Jan 22, 2016
Very funny country.

So because MTN 'harassed' a Minister's wife (certainly, the wife of our fanatical Communications Minister), FG will add yet another fight to its 2016 Mortal Combat Movie?

Isn't it ironical and funny that a whole first lady of Communications Ministry wants to get her biometrics done with a covered face?

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Nobody: 8:52am On Jan 22, 2016
Thank God for the honourable minister. the xtains should know that islam is peace and not all muslims are terrorist. Respect our beliefs or expect jihad angry

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by thompsblog: 8:52am On Jan 22, 2016
Itz long overdue
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by thefakestan: 8:53am On Jan 22, 2016
Na to. Cover net snap now
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by lorikanex: 8:53am On Jan 22, 2016
Nw we're talkin
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by abumeinben(m): 8:54am On Jan 22, 2016
Hehehe...

Year of sanctioning.

All eyes on MTN.
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by manutdadex(m): 8:54am On Jan 22, 2016
Weereh minister!!! So if dem ban all dis ijab people no go comply... Chai..

1 Like

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Aitee1: 8:54am On Jan 22, 2016
Since the common man has been harassed from queuing under the sun for several hours to visiting mtn office almost daily nobody threatened to sanction mtn but just cos a polithifician wife is involved(in a case where she was guilty oh)now FG has voice to warn mtn, at this juncture I am supporting mtn angry

Arrant nansense!!!!!

17 Likes

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Funjosh(m): 8:55am On Jan 22, 2016
MTN in another soup tongue
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Gkemz: 8:55am On Jan 22, 2016
Clueless govt with baseless accusations and flimsy excuses. As far as am concerned, the telecom staff have committed no offense by asking women to remove their hijab veil so as to capture their faces. who even know whether these boko haram spies are concealing an explosive device within. If this is what they call harassment, then there was no harassment.

10 Likes

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by naijaboiy: 8:55am On Jan 22, 2016
Religion always causing unnecessary problems for us in this country.

I'm not in support of a woman covering her face like a masquerade and still insists that she wants to be registered without proper search.

It's not our fault that some people have used such methods to blow up areas in recent times. Nobody can be trusted.

For the safety of everyone,allow yourself to be properly searched before going in.

These people always like getting preferential treatments for simple things that you need common sense. undecided

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by youngberry001(m): 8:55am On Jan 22, 2016
....I wan may dem Ban emptyhen's self in dis country undecided

mcheeew den block 3 of my sim#fvckers
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Benjom(m): 8:55am On Jan 22, 2016
Let them find a lasting solution to this telecom saga.
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by ritababe(f): 8:56am On Jan 22, 2016
Nonsense, so because she be minister wife na make them want start sanction,.
Assuming na ordinary person FG for no answer, and by the way if that woman carry bomb for her veil nko?

9 Likes

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by jacy67(f): 8:56am On Jan 22, 2016
Mtn wahala too much jor
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by SPG4U(m): 8:56am On Jan 22, 2016
[size=15pt]this is a good sign that the new government cares about the citizens

and to all those saying MTN should be ban

i want you to know this company has employed huge numbers of Nigerians [/size]

meanwhile guys see this threaad on nairaland on the new way to cure stroke, obesity, burn fat, and obesity

https://www.nairaland.com/2844443/know-anybody-down-stroke
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Elly1(m): 8:58am On Jan 22, 2016
FG should shut up and allow the various communications companies to fight the corrupt customers also, abi na only them get the right

4 Likes

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by edorhe14(m): 8:58am On Jan 22, 2016
Nice move...It's gonna be a great year...lol
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by manutdadex(m): 8:58am On Jan 22, 2016
uselessgoat:
Thank God for the honourable minister. the xtains should know that islam is peace and not all muslims are terrorist. Respect our beliefs or expect jihad angry
we knw... Removing d ijab shouldn't be a problem in d first.. Humanity first

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by belatoxx: 8:58am On Jan 22, 2016
God this govt is now started to make some turn which i dont like and it going to make me use my PVC on 2019, Is there anyone read about how a woman refused to removed her veil at MTN office and claim to be a minister wife i believe since she report things to her husband that is why this come out from FG.... Change of Impunity is here

4 Likes

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Nobody: 8:59am On Jan 22, 2016
Well dont know how the sanctions would work on Mtn o when even the fine wey them give them,them dey do stronghead to pay am. Mtn as them dey now dey vex seriously
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by demarc001: 9:00am On Jan 22, 2016
From one issue to another!

Nice move but I bet if it was a Christian related issue the government won't be fast to react like this.
In this country we have much ways classifying citizens.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Leaked Images Of The New Blackberry 10 L Series Phone Surfaces / Is 50000mah Power Bank Real? / I Updated My Iphone 11 To Ios 17 And This Notification Won’t Go Away

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.