Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,790 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment (18979 Views)

NCC To Sanction Telcos For Poor Services / Why NCC Directed Big Telcos To Increase Data Tariffs – official / NCC To Sanction MTN, Airtel, Globacom Over Auto Data Service Migration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by funstufz: 11:00am On Jan 22, 2016
barbstee:
SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment
By Chima Akwaja
— Jan 21, 2015

The federal government has decried the way and manner Nigerians, especially women, are being treated in their bid to comply with the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) directive on the registration of the subscriber identification module (SIM) in use, threatening to deal with erring telecom companies henceforth.

A statement by the special assistant on media to the minister of communications, Mr Adebayo Shittu, Mr Victor Oluwadamilar, said that this has become necessary, following the barrage of compliants by telecoms subscribers across the country.

According to him, “The minister’s office had been inundated with complaints from Nigerians, particularly women in veil, over the way they were being treated, sometimes humiliated, by the workers of telecommunications companies nationwide.

“In some of the complaints, women in pudah were required to remove their veils in public despite requests by such women that a place should be provided for them away from public glare and for only female officials to attend to them. All entreaties by these women failed, rather they were allegedly accused of being Boko Haram agents and refused registration after several altercations ensued in some of the registration centres.”

The minister, who frowned at the development, urged the telecommunications companies involved to accord maximum respect to Nigerian, particularly women, by respecting their feminine nature and religious disposition, moreso since the Nigerian Constitution has guaranteed the right to freedom of thought, conscience, and religion of all citizens and that such right should never be violated by executive or administrative lawlessness, high handedness, and insensitivity.

He noted that Nigerians deserve unreserved apologies from the concerned telecoms companies, saying that it is inhuman and unacceptable to treat Nigerians in such a cruel manner as it is a universal maxim that the right of even minorities are respected worldwide. He, therefore, urged the telecommunications companies to train and retrain their workers on the right and more civilized ways of treating their customers, adding that sanction may be applied against any erring company that refuse to comply with the policy of the Nigerian government under the change agenda of President Muhammadu Buhari.

http://leadership.ng/news/493700/sim-registration-fg-sanction-telcos-customers-harassment

You are saying harassment because it involved hijab, pudah and the rest............. information reaching us was that people gathered around 3, 4 5 am in the morning to get their names on the list of those that would be attended to, have to wait till 7:15am before given tally as a bonafide person to be attended to, wait till it is your turn if you are lucky.........

I wonder what that was........ Let the FG address the whole situation without being biased......

If you ask me, will tell you the state and the LGs affected
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Nobody: 11:00am On Jan 22, 2016
barbstee:

dnt really knw ao to respond to ur post because i'll nt want to derail d thread as such bt all i can deduce is u knw bt very little abt islam.bt if i may ask like wht and wht do u hate abt Islam?

Kindly start your own thread and ask that question! Whatever answers you get back...tackle it there.
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by barbstee(m): 11:01am On Jan 22, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Let me give u an instance with something that happened in Australia. A nigerian travelled to australia a country he had been living in for 10yrs. He went there with foodstuff from nigeria and packaged them normally but australian law says all packaging must be properly done in original packaging for easy identification. He just wrapped them in paperbags and labelled them.

They stopped him and after asking him what the items were he said they were all food and they asked why they were not packaged properly so they would have to check them and run tests on them. The man started ranting and threatening to sue since its food he brought back for his kids. All his shouting did was to further land him into trouble by attracting security agents who now had to carry out a body search on him as his actions were looking suspicious.

At the end of the day the tests were done and the the test and search came out negative but their law was upheld.

When issues bordering on security is concerned nobody is excusable. Religion or no religion.... everyone must follow every security requirement for the greater good.

dt ws y i said earlier dt u knw little abt Islam, nobody is sayn they shdnt be checkd by policewomen or women in d armed forces because of d insurgency bt d way u talkd showed d high level of hatred u av for d religion
#peace
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by barbstee(m): 11:05am On Jan 22, 2016
funstufz:

You are saying harassment because it involved hijab, pudah and the rest............. information reaching us was that people gathered around 3, 4 5 am in the morning to get their names on the list of those that would be attended to, have to wait till 7:15am before given tally as a bonafide person to be attended to, wait till it is your turn if you are lucky.........

I wonder what that was........ Let the FG address the whole situation without being biased......

If you ask me, will tell you the state and the LGs affected

good one their u'r criticisn objectively bt u knw most of ds thns dnt really get to them i pray they see ds sha nt defendn them though
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by selfmadeOLX(m): 11:07am On Jan 22, 2016
uselessgoat:
Thank God for the honourable minister. the xtains should know that islam is peace and not all muslims are terrorist. Respect our beliefs or expect jihad angry

Did you just say islam is peace..? undecided
Useless goat indeed
C'mon

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by barbstee(m): 11:07am On Jan 22, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Kindly start your own thread and ask that question! Whatever answers you get back...tackle it there.
i actually posted ds i jst dnt want to derail it and moreso i'm directn d qstn to u
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by ceejay80s(m): 11:08am On Jan 22, 2016
una slam MTN with fine wey pass $1b and u expect a boko woman to snap passport without face so una go add $3b to their fine abi?
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by engrshakespeare: 11:16am On Jan 22, 2016
powerfulsettingz:
then NCC too should shift the dead line a little bit
am an mtn worker I can imagine what I will be facing again today at work with the crowd

Am sure ur doing it for free abi. How many deadlines do u need to get ur job done
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Nobody: 11:16am On Jan 22, 2016
barbstee:

i actually posted ds i jst dnt want to derail it and moreso i'm directn d qstn to u

My statement is just an echo of many. Statistically speaking, look at every core islamic nation and consider what is happening therein, now look at the nations who have allowed muslims to enter them because they wish to assist them..consider what is now happening in thos nations..

Case in point, syrians into europe...

Now consider a figure like a Donald Trump speaking his opinion on muslims and suddebly becoming very popular as a candidate because he echoed the mind of many americans.

Like I said, my answers may be myopic when I give them to you so open a nee thread and open your heart to the answers you would get.
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by ceejay80s(m): 11:19am On Jan 22, 2016
Junior66:
It was his wife afterall. After the disgracing manner in which his wife conducted herself, rather than apologise to Nigerians and the Nigerian Police he still has the temerity to issue threats. Well, only in Africa.
dont mind the ram, its not his fault, muslims have been cheating christians since 1960.
How many christian president and head of state we don get?
Minister of this and that na muslims
na muslims dey head everything in naija.
Dem dey ride we christians
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by jomoh: 11:26am On Jan 22, 2016
erusen:
what harass,can ur face be snapped when covered

So you have to make her open her face from the entrance of your office? Just because she can't snap with veil on.

BTW what special arrangement does your office have in place to protect peoples right to religion.

Or you don't think it is the duty of MTN to protect the right of their customers and every Nigerian.
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by ceejay80s(m): 11:26am On Jan 22, 2016
me too go dey wear face cap and mask snap photo anywhere, our govt says so
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Junior66(m): 11:33am On Jan 22, 2016
akinyeleaa:

Una logic at times ehn, so because she wasn't born with veil, she don commit crime to use veil abi. Were u also born with cloth, or why don't u walk around naked, going by ur foolish logic

Seems some folks ere don't understand this issue, nobody is saying they should be snapped with veil, their only request is to be snapped not in an open place and possibly by females only
The moment ur terrorist brothers and sisters stop using veils and hijabs to terrorise us we will start to consider leaving them in their masquerade garbs. For now we will fight for the security of our fatherland even if it means trampling on existing religious practices, xtian or muslim. Bye!
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by zionglory(m): 12:04pm On Jan 22, 2016
uselessgoat:
Thank God for the honourable minister. the xtains should know that islam is peace and not all muslims are terrorist. Respect our beliefs or expect jihad angry
You are indeed useless,jihad my foot,try rubbish and be consumed.
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jan 22, 2016
uselessgoat:

I knew a useless goat like u must be a Muslim. Worst still, a fundamentalist and jihadist
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by mcee1(m): 12:13pm On Jan 22, 2016
Danzakidakura:
terrorist always defending their people.
Kai Arne, kaci Ubanka. Matsiyaci kawai. Arne banza Nasama Ido kenan ai.
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by erusen: 12:18pm On Jan 22, 2016
jomoh:

So you have to make her open her face from the entrance of your office? Just because she can't snap with veil on.

BTW what special arrangement does your office have in place to protect peoples right to religion.

Or you don't think it is the duty of MTN to protect the right of their customers and every Nigerian.
we protect peoples right and curb discrimination on race,sex,religion etc,but in the dially case of insurgencies in the country,preventive measures have to be taken,and the woman in question is a brat,first she wanted reg without a passport which nt granted then she started creating fuss and distracting the own place embarrassing her seft,threating every body that she is a ministers wife.
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Tarzaa(m): 12:31pm On Jan 22, 2016
Good one.
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by bigtt76(f): 12:37pm On Jan 22, 2016
Hmmm ....we need re-enlightenment in this country o! Even the High Commissions and Embassies all accord recognition to religious and cultural dress codes

1 Like

Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by vivavik(f): 12:41pm On Jan 22, 2016
It's for security purposes mr Minister, how can u threaten them? AbegI jor. BTW I still don't understand how they can get covered up like that, with the heat and all. Na wa sha. I would like for there to be a ban on it at least for the now.
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by OlujobaSamuel: 12:47pm On Jan 22, 2016
I will be surprised if this man is not booted out in the first cabinet reshuffle. What nonsense. We no dey see PMB babe and oga pikins. am not sure those girls even know how to wear these clothings, but that dressing still dey descent and of high moral standard.
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by TheAdvocate(m): 12:53pm On Jan 22, 2016
So that "Shit U" of a minister only saw that abi? What about the serious issue of Em Tea Hen blocking someone's line thrice because of Sim registration?
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by glossy6(f): 1:07pm On Jan 22, 2016
uselessgoat:

You are just as your moniker represents.

What is the essence of d exercise if her face remains covered. Like someone asked if she was born with it.

Islam...pretending since the time of Mohammed
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jan 22, 2016
glossy6:

You are just as your moniker represents.

What is the essence of d exercise if her face remains covered. Like someone asked if she was born with it.

Islam...pretending since the time of Mohammed

watch ur utterances before it lands u in Hell fire
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by demarc001: 2:43pm On Jan 22, 2016
barbstee:

well u cnt jst say because a govt is meant to be balanced ur assertion is on a lighter mode called "fallacy of easy conclusion"

Govt "is meant" not "is" that is why I said so. In Naija today muslim have more preference than christianity, simple truth! Take for example (in many organizations) see the way people are permitted to leave work and go to mosque, in same organisation tell them you want to go for church program/prayer if you will be allowed.
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by almujeebe(m): 3:29pm On Jan 22, 2016
Junior66:

were u there too? The fact that she insulted the policewoman and refused to take off her veil for the pix is enuf. Was she born with the veil?

she has the right to insult the policewoman because that so called police woman forgot or did not know or maybe "hypocrisy"chapter 4 (fundamental Right) section 38(1) of Nigeria constitution which states

"every person shall be entitled to freedom of thought, consceince and religion, including freedom to change his religion or belief and freedom (either alone or in community with others, and in public or in private) to manifest and propagate his religion or belief in worship, teaching, practice and observance."

For a policewoman to tell her to remove her veil in public, she has violated that right of her.
Because veil is part of her religious belief and nobody should in anyway deny her to remove it in public.
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by jomoh: 3:59pm On Jan 22, 2016
erusen:
we protect peoples right and curb discrimination on race,sex,religion etc,but in the dially case of insurgencies in the country,preventive measures have to be taken,and the woman in question is a brat,first she wanted reg without a passport which nt granted then she started creating fuss and distracting the own place embarrassing her seft,threating every body that she is a ministers wife.

Bros I like the fact that you took your time to reply.

I like to deal with issues separately without muddling things up. There is a clear sequence of how the event unfolded. It is obvious before anybody can make a request for photo-less registration he/she must have gone through the necessary security checks. Meaning the scene of the police woman is definitely the first incident to unfold.

Here's my question. How did the police woman handled the case before it resulted into unpleasant exchange of words. Obviously if the Police woman had respected the woman's religious right and right to privacy it wouldn't have degenerated to such extent. We all know issue of religion is a very sensitive one in Nigeria that people get easily emotional about.

The fact that the police woman requested that she opens her veil publicly does not prevent a potential suicide bomber from detonating her bomb.

It only shows that the Police woman and in extension MTN were being overzealous in discharging their duty that they forgot to be rational.

Bottom line is that the woman may be wrong in asking for a photo-less registration but if an individual customer could not control her emotions, whatever happens to ethics of good customer relation on the part of the company(MTN) and its staffs.

Y'all need to learn a thing or two from GTB customer service. No matter who is wrong or right no GTB staff has the right to raise his or her voice against a customer.

That is what customer service relation entails.
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by barbstee(m): 6:46pm On Jan 22, 2016
demarc001:

Govt "is meant" not "is" that is why I said so. In Naija today muslim have more preference than christianity, simple truth! Take for example (in many organizations) see the way people are permitted to leave work and go to mosque, in same organisation tell them you want to go for church program/prayer if you will be allowed.

the fact is dt everybody understands dt muslims are meant to pray five times daily while christians worship on sundays or saturdays as d case may be. bt if we ar to argue in dt we can say since sat and sun(dt christians worship) are nt working days officially then friday too shdnt be a wrkn day
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by banio: 6:57pm On Jan 22, 2016
Useless talk. During INEC registration FG thugs were flogging people. Did FG say anytin. Now that we have terrorist in veil you are saying they shud be treated with respect. Shame
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by akinyeleaa: 9:46pm On Jan 22, 2016
Junior66:

The moment ur terrorist brothers and sisters stop using veils and hijabs to terrorise us we will start to consider leaving them in their masquerade garbs. For now we will fight for the security of our fatherland even if it means trampling on existing religious practices, xtian or muslim. Bye!
U can't do shit about the veil, if u no like am, go enter hell
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Cityguy: 8:38am On Jan 23, 2016
If they want to be treated differently, why not simply ask MTN to create a separate centre miles away from others? That way, nobody would have the fear of being blown up and nobody would be embarrassed, minister's wife or not.
Re: SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment by Nobody: 10:10am On Jan 23, 2016
uselessgoat:
after talking about peace he talks about jihad,it speaks volume about your religion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Infinix Note 3? / Opera Mini 5 Is Finally Here! / 'Galaxy Gear' Watch-like Phone By Samsung To Be Introduced Next Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.