Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,626 members, 7,770,683 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:57 PM

How to Make Egusi Soup - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How to Make Egusi Soup (73183 Views)

How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / How I Made Low Budget Goat Head Bitter Leaf Egusi Soup / My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How to Make Egusi Soup by Naijalife(f): 1:16am On Nov 08, 2005
i wan learn how igbo people dey make their egusi soup
call all ethnicity mehn

igbo people how una dey make una egusi
delta folks tell me how una dey make una own too

yoruba
calabar
hausa
bini

please sign in
make we discuss some correct egusi soup techniques
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by mamba(m): 1:09pm On Nov 08, 2005
where are u girls? pls come and do justice to this interesting topic, me too i wan learn too.. Abi you all don't know how to cook?
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by IAH(f): 1:23pm On Nov 08, 2005
There are 2 yoruba ways of making it...let me discuss one.
You need ground egusi, ground pepper, vegetable(efo), dried-fish or some other eroja(optional), Palm-oil, Seasoning(Maggi), Salt.
Grind the egusi with blender, then heat and stir till the water dries up and the egusi forms clusters. Don't let it burn o!
First you'll heat the palm-oil until smoke fills the whole house. grin
The you'll fry the pepper paste in it. Add Seasoning and salt.
You must have soaked vegetable in hot-water and cut it before. So add the cut vegetables. You could add dried-fish(and the other erojas) before or after this.
Then add your clustered egusi and stir. Cook everything together and serve with Pounded yam. wink
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by Niggy(m): 6:07am On Nov 09, 2005
IAH:

There are 2 yoruba ways of making it...let me discuss one.
You need ground egusi, ground pepper, vegetable(efo), dried-fish or some other eroja(optional), Palm-oil, Seasoning(Maggi), Salt.
Grind the egusi with blender, then heat and stir till the water dries up and the egusi forms clusters. Don't let it burn o!
First you'll heat the palm-oil until smoke fills the whole house. grin
The you'll fry the pepper paste in it. Add Seasoning and salt.
You must have soaked vegetable in hot-water and cut it before. So add the cut vegetables. You could add dried-fish(and the other erojas) before or after this.
Then add your clustered egusi and stir. Cook everything together and serve with Pounded yam. wink

I'll try this today and give a feedback.. I hope I'll enjoy it grin
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by lauryn(f): 6:19pm On May 29, 2006
i hope so 2
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by cyndelen: 4:28pm On May 13, 2009
For the Igbo's, Egwusi soup is the most simplest soup one can ever think of and the procedures are as follows.
Receipts:
Egwusi Seed (grinded)
pepper
salt
dry fish
stock fish
beef meat
maggi
local Nsukka maggi
palm oil
pumpkin leaf
Red Onions
Crayfish

how to cook:
wash the beef meat together with the dry and stock fish thoroughly, add little salt, pepper to taste, grinded crayfish and then boil for about 15 minutes till it is tender
fried the grinded egwusi (2 cups) with the Palm oil and onions for about 30 seconds, then add the stock you made from the boiled meat and fish. add local Nsukka maggi well grinded
put salt to taste and 2 cubes of know maggi and allow to boil for 5 minutes, then add pumpkin leaf and leave for 10 seconds.
serve with Pounded yam or garri

1 Like

Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by Pepeye(f): 8:33pm On May 13, 2009
Isn’t it generic?
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by Kx: 9:46am On Jul 17, 2009
Isnt dis rather surprising?
Over 7000 ppl viewed this thread,yet the replies falls below 10.
Na so everybody dey find free food/cooking tutorials?

1 Like

Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by bouquilife(f): 12:20pm On Jul 17, 2009
Egusi is my best stew.

Recipes
Pepper (grounded)
Vegetable (ugwu leave)
Egusi (grounded)
Meat, stock fish, crayfish, and dry fish
Iru
Palm Oil
Maggi
Salt

Method
Wash your meat and stock fish, season with salt and maggi, add slice onion to it and boil for 30 minutes to tender

Remove scale and bones from your dry fish and break into big pieces

Aso wash your cray fish

Wash the slice ugwu leave and place aside.

Heat your palm oil for about 5 minutes, add the ground peper.

While the stew is cooking, add grounded onion into your egusi and stir together, cut it into small balls inside the cooking stew, DONT STIR, after making sure the egusi is cooked, you can add water if it is too tick. If not, add your cooked meat, stock fish, cray fish and dry fish, add your maggi and salt, stir together

After 10 minutes, add your washed ugwu, stir together.

5 minutes after, your egusi soup is ready.

Serve with semo or pounded yam
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by THEAMAKA(f): 1:05pm On Aug 17, 2009
yum!!

Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by okeyz(m): 4:04pm On Nov 04, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE AMAKA:

yum!!
please u ppl shud take it easy o, i am salivating badly here o , i am just a bachelor sad

where will i see this kain food to eat
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by Fhemmmy: 7:09pm On Nov 04, 2009
na wa oh, all these nice food is making me to think it is time to be able to download food off the net and eat it like that.
IF we can put plate on the CD-Rom and download inside it.
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by Tobs70: 8:00pm On Jan 06, 2010
Reviving my Nigerian taste pallet, very helpful tutorials, many thanks ppl!!
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by melissaMBA: 4:50am On Feb 03, 2010
[b][/b]PART IBO PART WHITTIEEEE EGUISI SOUP - 1 WEEKS WORTH LOL!!!

clean the chicken and boil in pan with all ure seasoning (my own seasoning - maggiex5, curry powder table spoon,tablespoon of thyme and handful of salt depending on ure own preference) do not add water yet as the chicken will bring its own water
boil chicken for 30 mins or so making sure to top up with water after the first natural water has reduced, when done boiling place chicken and all stock water in large pot
add boiling hot water to your dried fish and let stand
grind 4-5 cups of eguisi with water, 2 onions and teaspoon salt DO NOT WASH OUT THE BLENDER YET NO NEED TO WASTE THE REMAINING GRINDED SEEDS
heat palm oil in frying pan (half cup - 3/4 cup full) when all melted add ure grounded eguigi seeds and fry till all is beautiful and golden and all formed
add the fried eguisi to the boiled chicken in large pot and continue boiling on high
add more water if u want, add crayfish to the pot, go to ure dried fish thats presoaking in hot water and break the pieces into small ones and take out as many bones as you can rinse the fish and add to the pan of chicken and eguisi
back to the blender and add 2 cans of chopped tomatoes, aprox 5 chillies depending on how hot u like it i like mine very very hot so 5 large is good for me
and also add 2 red pepper bells deseeded and 2 onions quatered and grind into a paste and add it all to the pan and stir
let it simmer for aprox 30 mins
when almost done add finely chopped spinach (aprox 5-6 bunches) and let it rest on the top to welch and then turn the whole soup for 2 mins and taste for salt and seasoning and add more if required

wala all done

my daughter enjoying the ever so delicious soup with pounded yam

1 Share

Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by lahips: 3:00pm On Mar 18, 2010
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by bendominic: 12:45pm On Aug 18, 2010
Hello Plsssssssssssssss am new to this 9jaland, wink
Ist let me introduce myself. Aham is BenDOMINIC, I'm a real Ibo Boy!!,bt presently am in India,I wasnt used to cooking when i was in 9ja but now The state of hunger has forced me to learn how to cook unless iwant to depend on only burger and rice and sometimes noodles,
So plsssss i rly want to learn hoe to cook egusi soup with these few ingridients i got (egusi, tomato, chilli, onions,chicken and beaf, red oil,no vegetable yet, salt and sugar) my friend brought some of these things 4rm 9ja bt they hav been in ma kitchen all long abt spoiling while I've bn crying of hunger, cry
plssss ai rly need help urgently to avoid hunger suicide!! biko noooo
love ya kiss
and rly gona apprecite ur replies!! cool
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by Nobody: 3:47pm On Aug 18, 2010
List of Ingredients:

Blended Egusi (melon seed) : 1 cup

Palm oil: half cup

Spinach: 1 pack frozen or 1 bunch fresh

(If you are using fresh spinach, rinse and cut into small bits)

Salt (half tea spoon)

Chicken stock cubes (2)

Ground red pepper (half tea spoon)

Pre-cooked meat and fish

Egusi is cooked with lots of meat as with most West African food. It is possible to however eliminate the meat to make the source vegetarian.

Type of meat is a matter of preference and can be combined anyway you like.

Beef

Chicken

Shrimp

Stockfish

Dried catfish

Direction

1. In a bowl combine a cup bended Egusi with 1/4-cup water. Stir until it’s a paste like consistency

2. Set a pot on fire, add palm oil once pot is hot

3. With a spoon, add Egusi bits at a time Reduce to medium heat

4. Add stock from pre-cooked meat or water. 1 cup, if using fresh spinach. 11/2 If using frozen

5. Leave to cook for 4mins

6. Add precooked meat

7. Add spinach

8. Add salt and Chicken stock cubes

9. Taste for salt, cover to took for another 7-8mins.

10. Serve with your choice of “okele”

for more 9ja recipes Visit http://littlemissgastronome..com/

Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by Fhemmmy: 3:53pm On Aug 18, 2010
Oh my Gosh, i love the last pix, maybe cos of the ponmo.
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 18, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Oh my Gosh, i love the last pix, maybe cos of the ponmo.
I know right, no egusi is complete without ponmo!! you should move to western Canada grin
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by tpia5: 10:56am On Apr 30, 2011
I really cant blame this last poster, because people should learn how to use google instead of always mining nl for information on how to fake being nigerian.
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by tpia5: 10:57am On Apr 30, 2011
Egusi raises cholesterol anyway so even in nigeria people are advised to eat it with care.
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by redsun(m): 1:43pm On Apr 30, 2011
when nigerian boil meat,fish,snail and everything together and use them as stock for soup without even taking out any stock.Don't they consider the fat contents of the stocks put together and the effect it could have on their weight?
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by mafolayomi(f): 10:35pm On May 03, 2011
redsun:

when nigerian boil meat,fish,snail and everything together and use them as stock for soup without even taking out any stock.Don't they consider the fat contents of the stocks put together and the effect it could have on their weight?

odeshi! leave dat thing, we no dey add unnecessary weight like them

1 Like

Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by onagzy: 11:10am On Sep 18, 2011
Representing the guys who DO cook!

Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by armyofone(m): 10:10pm On Sep 18, 2011
i donnt like watery egusi soup @ last pix i can imagine pursuing the soup to my elbow shocked

1 Like

Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by Nobody: 11:32pm On Sep 18, 2011
onagzy:
Representing the guys who DO cook!

*claps hands* And it looks good!

But guy na wa o. Did you finish that pounded yam? I bet you remained on the sofa for three days, feeling like a snake wey swallow person grin
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by onagzy: 8:36am On Sep 19, 2011
Yeah a little watery, But guys, the taste of the pudding is in the eating, lol!! the smell alone na food !!!!

I got the recipe mainly following these tips (http://www.imdiversity.com/villages/global/Global_Kitchen/EgusiSoup.asp)
Also borrowed few ideas from earlier posts,

Ingredients:
Egusi Soup (Serves Four)
(1) Egusi -- 2 cups of ground egusi
(2) Ugu or Ukazi (subsitute Spinach) -- 1 Heads or 1 cup (1/2 Pack of Spinach)
(3) Crayfish -- 1 Cup
(4) Whole Dried Fish -- 2 Medium
(5) Beef -- 1.5lbs
(6) Palm Oil -- 1.5 cups
(7) Pepper -- 6 to 10 fresh hot or to taste
(cool Seasoning -- 1 or 2 cubes of beef stock
(9) Onions -- 1 Whole Small
(10) Salt -- about 2 teaspoons (use discretion)

Preparation:
Fresh vegetables bought from the store should always be washed before use. If you are able to get ugu or ukazi (1 cup) use either. Otherwise spinach will do. Pluck the leaves from the stem. Discard the stems. Collate and chop the leaves into thin (1/4 inch) slices. Set aside.
Blend crayfish into coarse powder using electric grinder.
Break up the dried fish in a bowl pour in boiling water, add about 2 spoon heaps of salt. Wash the fish in the hot salt water to remove sand and other dirt. Debone fish. Remove fish from salt water and set aside.
Grind peppers to a paste. Set aside.
Grind the egusi in the electric grinder. 4 cups of whole egusi should give 2 cups ground.
Wash and cut up the beef into approximately one inch squares.
Chop onions and set aside.

The Cooking:
In a medium sized pot, bring the beef and chopped onions to steam without adding water. Keep pot covered while steaming.
Add pepper and salt. Stir and let steam for one more minute
Add beef stock seasoning, 1/4 cup of water and salt, and cook till meat is tender (5 to 15 minutes). add water 1/4 cup at a time until meat is tender.
Add the dried fish parts. Stir.
Add the crayfish, stir and let cook for one minute more.
Add the palm oil, stir and let boil for three more minutes.
Dissolve the 2 cups of ground egusi in 3/4 cup of water. Pour the egusi mixture into the cooking pot. Stir thoroughly.
Sprinkle in the ugu or ukazi or spinach, stir and allow to boil over (about one minute).
Turn off heat and serve. Should be able to feed four adults.

Bon appetit! Let us know how it goes!!!

2 Likes

Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by naijainfogalery: 9:54am On Jan 01, 2015
You can never go wrong with a mixture of Dried Crayfish, Grounded with your egusi soup click here to get all your spice from Nigeria's number one onlione store http://www.nigerianfoods.com/products/dried-crayfish-grounded-0-5lbs
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by naijainfogalery: 9:56am On Jan 01, 2015
Dried Crayfish, Whole - Whether it's Efo, Ogbono or Okro soup you're making, Crayfish makes an appearance. Simply put, it makes Nigerian soups taste good.

http://www.nigerianfoods.com/products/crayfish-whole
Re: How to Make Egusi Soup by naijainfogalery: 9:58am On Jan 01, 2015
Egusi, Grounded -Egusi is one of the ingredients used widely all over the world. Egusi is rich in protein, fat and vitamins A, B1, B2, C and alpha-tocopherol,

http://www.nigerianfoods.com/products/egusi

(1) (2) (Reply)

What I Prepared For My Sweetheart This Morning / EndSARS: Ijebu-Ode Protesters Kill Cow, Roast It At Protest Ground (Photos) / My Brother Killed This Big Antelope Today (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.