Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,380 members, 7,864,733 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 04:52 AM

Nairaland is becoming a place of ill-will...and it has got to stop. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairaland is becoming a place of ill-will...and it has got to stop. (446 Views)

See What A Twitter User Said About Nairaland. Is She Wrong? / How Nairaland Is Nigeria's Version Of GOOGLE! / Name The Bad Habit That You Have Been Trying To Stop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland is becoming a place of ill-will...and it has got to stop. by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jan 23, 2016
I am not writing this with a glad heart....I write with a heavy heart , and with some sadness too.....and I assure everyone that it is not my intention to insult or call anyone names at all.

Whenever I comment on Nairaland, something happens that really upsets me, and that is the level of insults and abuse sometimes thrown at commenter's at times.

A few weeks ago,I posted a comment about the Fulani-farmer crisis in a part of the North....which was an innocent, non-sectarian comment about peaceful ways to end the crisis....and in response....someone called me a terrorist. Now, I would like to say that that hurt me badly, and really left me angry and upset.Yes...I reported the person to the mods....because no where in my comment did I advocate for violence or death to anyone in my comment.

But it is not only about me.I go through political threads....where instead of discussions on how to move Nigeria forward.....all we get are comments like ''Dullard'', ''Clueless'', and so on. Facts are replaced by personal abuse.People call each other such vile names that sometimes I wonder.....did the person you are abusing really hurt you directly? Worse are the tribalists. People bash each other's tribes....like the chap that called members of a certain tribe ''drug dealers'', the one who referred to members of a certain tribe as ''going to school for the food'', and the one who alleged that members of a certain tribe indulge in perverse activities.

When I read such comments, I want to just leave Nairaland. Infact.....sometimes,I just want to walk away. But....then there are the sane and decent discussions that one can have without being offensive. The ones where you learn something new. The fun ones too. Even the ones asking questions (Recently I answered a thread asking for info ....and it made me feel good to help someone).But the good feelings are washed away by the barrage of vile and hate-filled comments that proliferate some threads.

So, to whoever posts comments of hate, or bitterness,or anger, or insult.....you have to stop and think.What if the person you are rudely addressing is your friend/relative/cousin/inlaw?Think about it. You have to post in such a way that recognises the humanity of the person you respond to.Because....that is what decent people do.

So....let's be decent here,okay?

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland is becoming a place of ill-will...and it has got to stop. by PlayerMeji: 11:31pm On Jan 23, 2016
My brother....siddon look

Mr. Osewa is a businessman!
Re: Nairaland is becoming a place of ill-will...and it has got to stop. by divinehand2003(m): 12:25am On Jan 24, 2016
The wicked, vile, treacherous, evil and demonic commenters are more than the good and considerate one. You have to ignore those vile comments and be happy dear OP.
Re: Nairaland is becoming a place of ill-will...and it has got to stop. by itsmine: 2:53am On Jan 24, 2016
Op. Nairaland is a sample of d average Nigerian youth mentality, u've just got to bear with it, esp being a forum for d faceless. One wd have suggested return to d old order, but when u check d far past like 2007 posts, u wd still find dark, unintelligent, abusive comments littering d threads. And to think those were days when Internet access wasn't for kids.
Re: Nairaland is becoming a place of ill-will...and it has got to stop. by olayinkajnr(m): 6:54am On Jan 24, 2016
Nice one OP. All I do is ignore all those comments... Ignore and stay happy

(1) (Reply)

How Will Someone Born On February 29th Celebrate Their Day? / Wish 5 Nairalanders A Happy New Month / Pipeline Blast? There Should Be Another Way

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.