Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,774 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:38 PM

What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? (14638 Views)

Daddy Freeze Reacts To Signboard Of 4 Different Churches In The Same Building / Couples Attending Different Churches: Word For You / 9 Things Only Those Who Attend White Garment Churches Will Understand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by mavinc4u(f): 7:39pm On Jan 24, 2016
mascot87:

She says she can NEVER attend my church & that even d children. That is her stand, what is d probability that if I eventually marry her she will shift her ground?

Don't let anybody preach to you. leave her and marry your fellow catholic, let her marry her redeemer; if not you might regret later. Such thing does not always work so save your head.
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by Chukazu: 7:41pm On Jan 24, 2016
asuustrike2009:

Find another chick from your denomination should case persist as there's no church in heaven

true there is no church in heaven, but church prepares you for heaven.
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by mavinc4u(f): 7:43pm On Jan 24, 2016
Ajibel:
Babatunde Fashola is a muslim and goes to mosque. His wife is a christian and goes to church. Their marriage has stood strong with no scandal or divorce case.

So what is your point when you say No, it cant work.

The money is there, remove that money and you will see the point.
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 7:58pm On Jan 24, 2016
If difference in denomination should be a problem in marraige, what then will difference religion be? We christian are so concerned about our denominations that makes it look as if we serve different gods.
I'm marriage, if the couple understand themselves well, they can attend different deniminations and live as one and even still be able to pray together. But it is always good to discuss how to about it before marriage.
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by Misselocon(f): 8:05pm On Jan 24, 2016
cooldunno about odas but not a gud idea to me. different messages and doctrines and a host of oda discrepancies.
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by Ajibel(m): 8:19pm On Jan 24, 2016
mavinc4u:

BRF married his christian wife when he was still struggling to cut his teeth in his law career. She stood by him and today look at what he has become.

Yes, I agree that money can be a factor but in Fashola's case, money was not involved.

P.S I am a Yoruba muslim and my love interest is an Igbo Christian and we have been together since 2011 cool
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by pasol4real(m): 9:08pm On Jan 24, 2016
Chukazu:
infact, the matter is about to split me am my girl. the mum insist I must marry her in Catholic, I agreed, after that she is now saying I must leave my own church to attend Catholic with my wife to be. how now,shouldn't I be the one to chose which denominations to attend with my wifey?
Sorry the catholic Faith does not tolerate such .
U n Ur future children must be brought up in the catholic church .
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jan 24, 2016
Chukazu:

true there is no church in heaven, but church prepares you for heaven.
Yea but it should not be a yardstick to affect marriage. i remember a preacher advocating that husbands and wives should attend same church because of same grace, same doctrine and advise fron same preacher but he does not discriminate those not practising it. those practising it are carving doctrines for themselves that does not biblical backing. this is the reason why i myself don;t agree with Jehovah Witness and other churches because till today they have not provide a strong biblical backing for that doctrine
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by pheesayor(m): 9:24pm On Jan 24, 2016
She wants to start controlling you and you should NOT allow it. Don't do it for love o else she will use it against you after marriage when you try to take control. Yes you marry in her church and maybe thanksgiving but it should end there. I'm newly married and know what I'm saying.

All the best

Chukazu:
infact, the matter is about to split me am my girl. the mum insist I must marry her in Catholic, I agreed, after that she is now saying I must leave my own church to attend Catholic with my wife to be. how now,shouldn't I be the one to chose which denominations to attend with my wifey?
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by rossyc(f): 9:32pm On Jan 24, 2016
BoleynDynaSTY:
Am I supposed to follow him to O.O Obu?
Why do you av to marry him at first? If u can't follow him to his church or can't convert him to ur church then you av no business marrying him, it's better u marry someone dat shares the same believe with u.
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by mizthorlu(f): 9:42pm On Jan 24, 2016
my parent are deeper lifers, I attend seventh days nd m in love with a Catholic. ....can it get worst than that (lolz)...we all serve the same God and i choose to be liberal...no resentment what so ever
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by Ojugunrege(f): 9:53pm On Jan 24, 2016
kilode100:
Who church don help?

Me!
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by Nyceguy92: 10:44pm On Jan 24, 2016
[quote hhor=Onyejemechimere post=42278855]

This post is very timely and touches on a very practical problem most families battle with. My outright opinion is that it is wrong for couples to attend different churches because it does not foster family unity.

Here is a real life example:

A man and a lady were in a relationship that was the envy of everyone. Marriage followed, naturally.
Parents of both couple, including brothers, sisters, etc are Christians.

Somewhere some time, the wife asked husband to allow her to occasionally attend the evening prayer meetings of one of the pentecostal churches. Because the husband loves the wife and didn't think it was a big deal, he reluctantly allowed her.

What was to be an occasional evening session snowballed into full membership and abandonment of the church in which she was wedded.

On Sundays, wife would go to her new church with the children and husband to his church. Relatives raised alarm, consultations were made.....you know how it is...

The kids imbibed a way of reasoning and doing things, including prayer as taught by their mom or seen in their new church. They argued all the time on matters of culture and tradition.

Husband had a rethink and insisted back to status quo.
Wife resisted. Family almost broke apart.

The implication is that the man is seen as incapable of keeping his household as one unit...as effeminate.

Well, to cut the story short, the man threatened divorce before the wife turned back.

One must mention the role played by some so- called born again Christians. Most of them saw nothing wrong in the matter. ..the race to heaven is an individual thing...God will use her to deliver/work miracles in the family, etc, etc.

One of my aunts married a man of same denominstion.
Later, her husband "repented" and asked the wife to follow him to his new church. Wife refused to attend her husband's church.

Trouble started and the case came to her kisnmen. Verdict was that a woman had no church, that her husband's church was her church. She yieldef. Today, they are happy together.

Thanks for reading.
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by BoleynDynaSTY(f): 11:58pm On Jan 24, 2016
rossyc:
Why do you av to marry him at first? If u can't follow him to his church or can't convert him to ur church then you av no business marrying him, it's better u marry someone dat shares the same believe with u.

So u trying to say iF I meet a guy I love n wanna spend the reSt of my life with I shouldn't because of church,like seriously?Biko what's d name of the church Jesus ws a member of while on earth?
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by DANWEALTHY(m): 1:45am On Jan 25, 2016
They are spiritually disconnected.
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by placeofallure(f): 5:54am On Jan 25, 2016
kilode100:
Who church don help?

Moi!
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by Bishops10(m): 7:39am On Jan 25, 2016
I think with the Experience av heard in our family,their is absolutely nothing wrong in it so long as their is agreement.
My mum goes to Catholic(That's her birth church) while Dad goes to Anglican.All my sisters having been married now go to Pentecostal likewise me but will only attend Anglican whenever I come back to the villa though I was baptized in Catholic.

In my Dad's Anglican,you will think my mum is a member coz she does almost everything a member does.attends Their harvest,Thanksgiving services e.t.c Vice versa
In my dads voice "Go to any Church that you know will lead you to heaven".
N.B They have lived for close to 50 years.
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by Nobody: 7:55am On Jan 25, 2016
mascot87:

My own situation is the opposite of urs. I am a catholic & my girl is a redeemer. This happened yesterday & she says that she cannot attend Catholic with me & that I should instead attend redeem. I told her also that I can never attend redeem either but to make d issue more worst, she says that if we eventually marry & we have kids, the kids will be going to redeem with he & not catholic with me. The relationship just got me fed up already as I speak. I don't know how to resolve this cos I can't imagine myself attending a different church from that of my wife. This might lead to end of our relationship if the status quo remain.
guy there is no point just do the breakup. It will pain you now but in the future it would be totally rewarding
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by Ahmed3rdjuly: 7:59am On Jan 25, 2016
mavinc4u:

My dad is a Muslim and my a Christian and they are not rich. they have lived for decades without issues.
Its only people with complex that attributes everything to money.
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by tommysparks: 8:12am On Jan 25, 2016
My brother has same issues with his fiancee, he is catholic and she is pentecostal and they broke up their 5mknth engagement due to both of them not agreeing on a particular church to attend. The tower of babel is religion and churches not language only.
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by mavinc4u(f): 8:15am On Jan 25, 2016
Ahmed3rdjuly:

My dad is a Muslim and my a Christian and they are not rich. they have lived for decades without issues.
Its only people with complex that attributes everything to money.

story. will you tell us if they are having issue? someone with a 10 years old marriage here has confirmed the issues that would be encountered.
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by mapet: 8:17am On Jan 25, 2016
Couples attending different church is a house already divided

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by Nobody: 11:19am On Jan 25, 2016
DedeNkem:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Remember, a couple comprises of two different individuals and from different upbringing, who agreed together to tolerate each other while spending their lives together. Marriage is about loving, compromise, understanding and respecting of each other's differences.

You can't expect your partner to like everything you like, have the same hobbies, work at the same place, have the same degrees you have, attend the schools, come from the same extended family, agreed with every damn thing you say or do, in fact, your partner cannot be your carbon copy!

If your partner's workplace is different from yours, why can't she be also free to attend choice of church?
If your partner can have different friends from yours, why can't she be also free to attend any church she wishes.
If your partner can choose to be religious or not, why can't she also be free to choose her church?
If your partner have right to dump your as*s and the marriage any time she pleases, why can't she also have the right to choose her church or dump yours?

Even though I'm a an atheist, my wife has her freedom to practice her religion and I gave my kids freedom to follow their mum's religion or forget it entire. We still have a superb marriage and great kids!

You are not born again so you don’t have a say …. Quote me anywhere but if you must have a say then accept Jesus into your life, only then can you understand the notion of marriage from his own point of view as the Creator of Heaven and Earth. then you will know that it’s a complete No for a woman to attained a different church from that of her husband. Any woman who does such is insubordinate and will bring the downfall of that family.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by rayobaba(m): 11:59am On Jan 25, 2016
mascot87:

My own situation is the opposite of urs. I am a catholic & my girl is a redeemer. This happened yesterday & she says that she cannot attend Catholic with me & that I should instead attend redeem. I told her also that I can never attend redeem either but to make d issue more worst, she says that if we eventually marry & we have kids, the kids will be going to redeem with he & not catholic with me. The relationship just got me fed up already as I speak. I don't know how to resolve this cos I can't imagine myself attending a different church from that of my wife. This might lead to end of our relationship if the status quo remain.
Mine is exactly like urs just that my girl is calm about it and does not dictate to me that our kids would be going redeem. I think ur girl is too dictating. But I will advice you to sometimes attend her church, that will make her succumb to your wish. Let her know u like her church and educate her about catholic doctrines and peoples misconceptions,know dt u wont get best of her since she's still under her parent as they will influence her decisions, show her unresistable love, and all this issue will be solved. I never believe I could solve mine. Don
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by orisa37: 3:22pm On Jan 25, 2016
The woman is stubborn. She knows very well in her mind what she wants. If they pray often,though severely, for wisdom, God's name is Wisdom, God will reconcile them in Knowledge and Understanding.
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by mstoki: 12:40pm On Jan 26, 2016
i think its not right.
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by Chukazu: 4:07pm On Jan 26, 2016
pheesayor:
She wants to start controlling you and you should NOT allow it. Don't do it for love o else she will use it against you after marriage when you try to take control. Yes you marry in her church and maybe thanksgiving but it should end there. I'm newly married and know what I'm saying.

All the best

thanks man.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by MightySparrow: 5:15pm On Jan 26, 2016
damilareoye:
Couples are meant to attend same church.

Imagine the doctrine collision in a situation whereby the father attend Baptist, mother a deeper life member and children are winners ... The house eh. cheesy
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by Ishilove: 7:52pm On Jan 26, 2016
Godfullsam:
Couples attending different churches are not husband and wife, they are room mates.
Bullshit.
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by Ishilove: 8:04pm On Jan 26, 2016
MrPresident1:
Couples need to have the same belief system, it makes things easier between them. The multiplication of denominations and doctrines even within the same religions has made the world to be some kind of Babel.

How will a Deeperlife man understand when his Celestial wife informs him that Wooli under the inspiration of Emi mimo has commanded that she should be under abe abo in the church premises for the next 7 days?

Abi how demon chasing MFM wife wan relate well with Jerry curl wearing Christ Embassy husband? This is Babel.

It is better for couples to have the same religious and doctrinal beliefs, it will make marriages easier.
Smh. I was brought up in a home where my parents attended different churches, and till date they still do. Mum accompanied dad once in a while to his church, and vice versa.

Growing up, we attended church with my mum, but as time went on, everybody found their square root, so now we all have our own individual denominations and it has not in any way affected our relationship. Work out your salvation with fear and trembling, says the scriptures. Find where works for you and stick with it. You can't tell me to attend RCCG if my spirit doesn't find fulfilment there. I could go the Kerubu way, or CAC and find my rest there. Salvation is an individual race.

Religious matters was never a bother in my home, so I've grown up with the belief that it is understanding that is paramount.

Personally I will not be bothered where my man worships, as long as he is a committed Christian who will not try to impose his religious doctrines on me. Abi no be the same God we worship?
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by MrPresident1: 10:14pm On Jan 26, 2016
Ishilove:

Smh. I was brought up in a home where my parents attended different churches, and till date they still do. Mum accompanied dad once in a while to his church, and vice versa.

Growing up, we attended church with my mum, but as time went on, everybody found their square root, so now we all have our own individual denominations and it has not in any way affected our relationship. Work out your salvation with fear and trembling, says the scriptures. Find where works for you and stick with it. You can't tell me to attend RCCG if my spirit doesn't find fulfilment there. I could go the Kerubu way, or CAC and find my rest there. Salvation is an individual race.

Religious matters was never a bother in my home, so I've grown up with the belief that it is understanding that is paramount.

Personally I will not be bothered where my man worships, as long as he is a committed Christian who will not try to impose his religious doctrines on me. Abi no be the same God we worship?

Ishi, times have changed. You cannot use your parents' time to judge today, also there has been a lot of changes in the values of the society compared to the time when you were growing up. In the time of your parents, culture and tradition ordered society, everyone knew everyone and there were very good societal values that the whole community cherished and followed, this is the reason why parents were able to choose spouses for their children at that time because everyone in the society was running basically on the same values template. Even if the man and the woman were total strangers, chosen to marry themselves by their parents, the marriages lasted because there were values that would guide their marriage.

Nowadays, because of urbanisation and 'civilisation', the values that ordered the societies of old have been thrown out, morality has been replaced by religiosity, and this explains why we are getting more religious but less righteous. Today, religious doctrines are apparently more relevant than moral values and people within the same doctrines will find it easier to relate more among themselves.

Ishi, I say growing up, your home was ordered by values, not by the religion of your parents hence the tranquility. Society has evolved, if your hubby is Kerubu, just jeje prepare your mind to be Kerubu because he is your head, he will provide spiritual direction in your home, and you cannot afford to be at loggerheads over doctrinal issues.
Re: What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? by Ishilove: 12:17am On Jan 27, 2016
MrPresident1:

Ishi, times have changed. You cannot use your parents' time to judge today, also there has been a lot of changes in the values of the society compared to the time when you were growing up. In the time of your parents, culture and tradition ordered society, everyone knew everyone and there were very good societal values that the whole community cherished and followed, this is the reason why parents were able to choose spouses for their children at that time because everyone in the society was running basically on the same values template. Even if the man and the woman were total strangers, chosen to marry themselves by their parents, the marriages lasted because there were values that would guide their marriage.

Nowadays, because of urbanisation and 'civilisation', the values that ordered the societies of old have been thrown out, morality has been replaced by religiosity, and this explains why we are getting more religious but less righteous. Today, religious doctrines are apparently more relevant than moral values and people within the same doctrines will find it easier to relate more among themselves.

Ishi, I say growing up, your home was ordered by values, not by the religion of your parents hence the tranquility. Society has evolved, if your hubby is Kerubu, just jeje prepare your mind to be Kerubu because he is your head, he will provide spiritual direction in your home, and you cannot afford to be at loggerheads over doctrinal issues.
Times have changed, you say, but I did not change with the times. I am still my parents daughter, after all smiley

There won't be a marriage to start with if there is no agreement to allow each other freedom to express our spiritual/religious preferences. If hubby-to-be won't accept, then it means we aren't meant to be, so no marriage. These things are best hashed out before marriage.

No one, not even my dearly beloved parents can force me to adopt doctrines or go to a church my spirit doesn't agree with. If my parents, who have always had a very strong influence in my life, can't force me, is it a man who isn't related to me?

That's how I was brought up smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Timely Marriage is GOD's Original Plan For Mankind / Rccg Asks Every Family In The Church To Donate #50,000 To Support University / What Are Your Reasons For Not Going To Church Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.