Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,136 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

The Thought Of Marriage Is Giving Me Sleepless Nights. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Thought Of Marriage Is Giving Me Sleepless Nights. (3029 Views)

"My Wife’s Beauty Makes Me Sleepless, I Want A Divorce" - Zimbabwea Man To Judge / My Marriage Is At The Brink Of Collapse Help Me / Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Thought Of Marriage Is Giving Me Sleepless Nights. by Ishilove: 11:24am On Jan 30, 2016
Guest22:
wouldnt say I’m new here, have always visited nairaland as a guest, but just had to comment on this,..as I think am in a similar situation with the OP
well, my case is a slightly different because I’ve been married before (6yrs ago),…my wife died within the 1st year of our marriage. (bless her soul)… .

Now, I’m in my mid-thirties, have a reasonable job, lives quite okay,...but I just don’t feel like marrying again… and that’s what everyone don’t seem to understand.

I have dated couple of good ladies since my late wife passed, but that feeling to make the relationship permanent, isn’t just there,…I don’t seem to love any one of them…cos I don’t even want to.

Every one keep saying “I’m yet to get over my late wife”… “that I have to move on”,..but I honestly don’t think that’s the case here,..I believe I have moved past that… its just that I’m enjoying this single life over again,…and don’t wanna make that marriage commitment again,..at least not at the moment. Maybe many years down the line,...like when am 60yrs old, I might consider marrying...lol. grin

So mr Op, I don’t think theres anything wrong with you,.. if the thought of marriage is giving you sleepless night,..maybe marriage isn’t just for you yet, irrespective of your age. Stop losing sleep over it, enjoy your life, do whatever you want with your life, cos its yours wink …and you owe no one any explanation. cheers.
You're been honest with yourself. The problem with our society is we seem to place so much emphasis on marriage. It's like people are not complete without marriage, meanwhile the opposite is the case. Most people go into marriage without first of all finding themselves

1 Like

Re: The Thought Of Marriage Is Giving Me Sleepless Nights. by nanalady(f): 12:29pm On Jan 30, 2016
DonChippy:
Right now I'm in a position where I'm supposed to be married with a woman and at least a child in my household.
Sadly, that is not the case for me this moment.
I'm fully grown, reached and passed marriageable age yet the idea of keeping a relationship talk less of getting married is such a burden for me.

I'm content with a sort of solitary lifestyle and sometimes make time out to socialize by hanging out with friends or in a bar.

My problem now is I don't know how long I can keep up with this type of life and I'm yet to find a reason to seek a serious relationship that would lead to marriage.

I just don't feel the need for it.
Don't even let me get started with the sex part.
Am I even normal
you are normal....nothing to worry about..you are simply not ready
Re: The Thought Of Marriage Is Giving Me Sleepless Nights. by Wealthy15(f): 1:25pm On Jan 30, 2016
DonChippy:

Yeah I know and that's what keeps me away from women. grin
this babe you dey vex o,marriage is not a career nor a nor a job opportunity.take am easy.
Re: The Thought Of Marriage Is Giving Me Sleepless Nights. by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jan 30, 2016
OP, cast out every spirit in u that is against u getting married, for I'm afraid u need Jesus
Re: The Thought Of Marriage Is Giving Me Sleepless Nights. by Richy4(m): 12:15am On Jan 31, 2016
So marriage is making you not to sleep? hmmmm!!! You don't really want to sleep because if you do, U will sleep with your doors wide open

You do not need to live your life based on the dictate of the society.... It is not compulsory that everyone must marry....

If you don't feel like it, do not go into it... the only thing I can suggest to you is a possibility of adoption...ie a child that will take care of you at old age since I guess you are living in Nigeria....

Assuming you are living abroad, you would have known that your retirement package could help you get a decent nursing home that will take care of you at old age......
Re: The Thought Of Marriage Is Giving Me Sleepless Nights. by Nobody: 12:22am On Jan 31, 2016
Richy4:
So marriage is making you not to sleep? hmmmm!!! You don't really want to sleep because if you do, U will sleep with your doors wide open

You do not need to live your life based on the dictate of the society.... It is not compulsory that everyone must marry....

If you don't feel like it, do not go into it... the only thing I can suggest to you is a possibility of adoption...ie a child that will take care of you at old age since I guess you are living in Nigeria....

Assuming you are living abroad, you would have known that your retirement package could help you get a decent nursing home that will take care of you at old age......

That's one idea i do not buy.
You don't raise kids with the hope that they take care of you when you get old.

If you work hard enough and have reasonable investments, your money will take care of you when you get old.
At least that's what my father and grand father thought me.
Re: The Thought Of Marriage Is Giving Me Sleepless Nights. by Richy4(m): 10:53am On Jan 31, 2016
DonChippy:

That's one idea i do not by.
You don't raise kids with the hope that they take care of you when you get old.

If you work hard enough and have reasonable investments, your money will take care of you when you get old.
At least that's what my father and grand father thought me.

I am glad that your parents thought you such a wonderful norm and virtue my brother...but sometimes in African settings, what you said does not conform with the majority in African context especially in Nigeria....

Take an example of a local government worker that earn a basic salary of 60k a month with 4 or 5kids... some were in the university, how much investment do you think he can make and equally take care of the family? His proud investment I am sure will be his children with hope that when he train them well, they will grow and become better people and help him out...

In advanced country, all their savings goes to the retirement packages which will pay their nursing bills at nursing home... they do not really need to take care of their kids because the kids got student loan and grant that were in place for them and they will inturns pay it back when working .. but such things are not in Nigeria....everything rests on the shoulders of the parents....

I do not want to digress much on the issue of the OP....but I used to volunteer at a nursing home, must of them were looking for whom to talk to...some have kids who dumped them at a nursing home and never came to say hello ...Most of them were super rich with great connections etc....what we do was to talk to them and keep them company every Saturday...I believe that the OP will not be lonely when he became old if he adopt now ie if he doesn't feel like marrying....
Re: The Thought Of Marriage Is Giving Me Sleepless Nights. by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jan 31, 2016
Adoption is great and it's an option I may be willing to explore if the need arises.
But I still don't buy the idea of raising a child so they can take care of me when I get old.

Let's paint this scenario.
The kind of future I hope and pray for.

I have my kids, raise them right, give them the best education money can afford.

They look up to me for wisdom based on my life experience. As a matter of fact, I am their best friend and role model. They simply cannot do away with me because I am successful and set a standard on personal wealth.

I inspire and motivate them to achieve even greater things just like I did with my predecessors.

Over time, they excel in the various fields go out there and start their own families.

I now have several grand children. Most of them love and adore me. They visit occasionally for holidays because they find my mansion/Villa very appealing.

Each time they visit, they learn something knew about their parents and the extended family as a whole.

Now tell me how I would be abandoned when I get old, especially if they get lots of gifts each time they visit.

They still grow up and give me great grand children.

I have worked so hard and still have assets that are worth a fortune.

Life to me is all about goals and aspirations. You get what you want out of it.

The only reason and the biggest challenge I'm having is finding a woman who fits into this vision.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Step Mother Allegedly Did This To Her Two Year Old Step Son. Graphic Pix / What Exactly Is Wrong With Cohabiting? / Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.