Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,154 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna (149758 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Burn A Man's Farm In Ekiti After Being Warned (Photos) / My Little Ginger Sack Farm In The South East / Sack Farming : Diary Of My Mix Crop Sack Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by dapsonlou(m): 8:39pm On Jan 29, 2016
[quote author=vanpeele post=42431789] @Austin234 I have 300 sacks. The sacks cost me nothing cos I approached a block maker for the cement bags but in Kaduna you can get them for 50 naira for a dozen, 5 or 10 naira for one. The soil is free.

Bought 5 bags of cow manure @ 200 per size 6 sack, so that's 1k.
Pesticide (fighter 35ec 500ml) for 1k, Murano F1 for 4900 naira at the time (the price is now 6500 due to dollar) and the other varieties for free grin. In total that's 6900 naira.

Didn't sell my first harvest. Shared it for blessing sake but my second harvest (this Wednesday), I harvested two bags from three rows. Market price was 1500 per bag. Sold mine at 2500 grin. Cucumbers on the other rows are still growing in size so I hope I have more next week. I hope this helps.[/quote

how long does it take to grow?
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 8:43pm On Jan 29, 2016
@Stanleyobey soil to manure ratio 2:1. Example 2 wheelbarrows of soil to 1 of cow manure (NEVER USE CHICKEN MANURE)

@panch001 58B81615 BB

@MissSlimbody Black soil

@Ganjafama LOL. Doesn't have to be large scale. 1 sack is ok for a tiny garden. Imagine everyone in the face me I face you had just 1 sack of different crops. Una go dey share foods...spreading love.

@spafu 58B81615 BB

2 Likes

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by evesite(m): 8:44pm On Jan 29, 2016
Me the fear to eat cucumber dis day oh.... Cux weytin our Ladies the take use do the fear me die.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 8:47pm On Jan 29, 2016
@macklef never underestimate the power of your local market.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Newway2(m): 8:50pm On Jan 29, 2016
Haba Oga @Jasper7!
U shld know better than that nah. If "guru" like u is asking such question, what do u want beginers like us do?
Anyway, @vanpeele has done justice to ur qusetion. But, biko; he no finish am............

jasper7:

Weldone sir... You are doing a great job. But if I may ask. Is there a particular reason you decided to use sack?

I really want to commend u 4 ds effort & wish to state that ur actions has also re-inspired poeple like us to go all out for sack farming because of the numerous benefits most of which u have mentioned. Well done bros

vanpeele:

Don @jasper7 Yes.

1. Water is an issue in our farm. The sack retains water better in the dry season.
2. I planted 1200 seeds in a very small space (4 plants per sack...yes it's too much) to show you don't need a lot of acreage to farm.
3. Manure and fertilizer stay in the sack

Bros, am adding more benefits of sack farming below:
4. Sack farming prevent weeds from invading the plants thereby minimising/eliminating cost of herbicides.
5. If the soil used in d sack is treated well, u can use same soil many times.
6. In the events that a plant in sack is infected, it is easy to isolate & remove the affected sack thereby minimising infection to other plants.
All in all, sack farming reduces maintenace cost for the farmer.

5 Likes

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by ShakurM(m): 8:51pm On Jan 29, 2016
lielbree:

Your dirty mind grin wink
what's dirty about it? grin
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Chartey(m): 8:52pm On Jan 29, 2016
vanpeele:
@Chartey To show everyone that you can farm on tile, tar or concrete. Even on your roof sef

Ok i get. Where you dey for KD?
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 8:56pm On Jan 29, 2016
ShakurM:
For some reason, I just like that 2nd to the last picture grin
BADT GUY..... grin hope you no be gay sha...
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 8:58pm On Jan 29, 2016
@Newway2 Thanks I wouldn't have said it better

@Chartey Afaka. On your way to the airport, after NDA main gate but before Grace international
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by ShakurM(m): 9:03pm On Jan 29, 2016
INDUSTRIALFAN:
BADT GUY..... grin hope you no be gay sha...
Jesuuu!! you be gay? shocked
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by dapraiz(m): 9:12pm On Jan 29, 2016
[quote author=ShakurM post=42425602][size=11pt][font=Georgia]For some reason, I just like that 2nd to the last picture
badt guy gringringrin
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by excess4luv: 9:13pm On Jan 29, 2016
vanpeele:
@macklef LOL. It musn't be plenty sacks. You can have 5 or 10 in your house. Just plant your favorite crop. When it matures you won't need to go to the market to buy. Saves you small change.

@HomeOfMe sack Farming is basically planting in sacks that has soil in them instead of open ground.

@plonuh Get a sack, pour in suitable soil mixed with cow manure (NEVER USE CHICKEN MANURE) and plant any crop you like.

@Khalhabs Go ahead
plz can you state why you said not chicken manure??

just curious
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Shehucom(m): 9:14pm On Jan 29, 2016
vanpeele:
Hello everyone,

I recently began a sack farming project to see how possible it was to grow cucumbers in sacks. I'll like to announce that it was a successful endeavour. For those who don't have land to farm on, you all have no more excuse. It's as easy as just putting soil (which is free) in a sack and that's it. I thank all the agric, vegetables and cucumber lords of this forum. Una don try and una still dey try. Please enjoy the pics...they speak better.

Please feel free to ask any questions... grin

Pls op I will like to try it out, how can i contact u in kaduna
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 9:15pm On Jan 29, 2016
JOAN11:
Nice job,that concumber i saw near the bottle tho tongue
Be like say Biafra market no sell again this one wey u don port to BIFRAN.... BTW.... which one be BIFRAN @ur signature....
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 9:20pm On Jan 29, 2016
@excess4luv It's very hot for the plants due to the chemical feeds fed to poultry these days. Tried it with cucumbers and okra in sacks. They all died.

@Shehucom 58B81615 BB

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 9:21pm On Jan 29, 2016
ShakurM:
Jesuuu!! you be gay? shocked
Check my question.... I asked.... " HOPE" say you NO BE GAY.... Meaning I hope you are not gay cos I don't like those bunch....
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by permanentgrace(m): 9:21pm On Jan 29, 2016
JOAN11:
yes boo boo wink
Why do you like that one? Tell me what is in your mind.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by JOAN11(f): 9:28pm On Jan 29, 2016
permanentgrace:

Why do you like that one? Tell me what is in your mind.
whatever you may be thinking
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 9:30pm On Jan 29, 2016
JOAN11:
Biafra, my country my pride
Me na BIFRAN I see but since you ve confirmed it is BIAFRA You meant, you can now gerrarahia.... grin
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by ShakurM(m): 9:33pm On Jan 29, 2016
INDUSTRIALFAN:
Check my question.... I asked.... " HOPE" say you NO BE GAY.... Meaning I hope you are not gay cos I don't like those bunch....
You no see my name?how I go be gay cool
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by herrdeustch: 9:35pm On Jan 29, 2016
God bless you.I love your work
vanpeele:
Hello everyone,

I recently began a sack farming project to see how possible it was to grow cucumbers in sacks. I'll like to announce that it was a successful endeavour. For those who don't have land to farm on, you all have no more excuse. It's as easy as just putting soil (which is free) in a sack and that's it. I thank all the agric, vegetables and cucumber lords of this forum. Una don try and una still dey try. Please enjoy the pics...they speak better.

Please feel free to ask any questions... grin
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by texybaby(f): 9:38pm On Jan 29, 2016
Oh dear this is beautiful......pls OP can I cum n learn from u plss
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Christmasdon(m): 9:41pm On Jan 29, 2016
AsanwaKC:
omo that cucumber at the last pic can do wonders...kudos to op..
.which wonder hergain. Please, tell me i would love to know, Meanwhile, did anyone notice LaLas, koment on the zero page.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by jasper7(m): 9:43pm On Jan 29, 2016
Newway2:
Haba Oga @Jasper7!
U shld know better than that nah. If "guru" like u is asking such question, what do u want beginers like us do?
Anyway, @vanpeele has done justice to ur qusetion. But, biko; he no finish am............

I really want to commend u 4 ds effort & wish to state that ur actions has also re-inspired poeple like us to go all out for sack farming because of the numerous benefits most of which u have mentioned. Well done bros

Bros, am adding more benefits of sack farming below:
4. Sack farming prevent weeds from invading the plants thereby minimising/eliminating cost of herbicides.
5. If the soil used in d sack is treated well, u can use same soil many times.
6. In the events that a plant in sack is infected, it is easy to isolate & remove the affected sack thereby minimising infection to other plants.
All in all, sack farming reduces maintenace cost for the farmer.
I know why I asked him. He has his reasons. And he gave them. cool. I think using sack should be for specific reasons and his reasons are valid enough
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Beboy23(m): 9:43pm On Jan 29, 2016
vanpeele:
@DICON2

I planted 4 varieties
Murano
General Lee
Olympian
Nagano

Murano was the best (obviously). Nagano is the second biggest but it doesn't do well in the harmattan AT ALL. The most common up here are super marketer, marketer, poinsett, poinsett 76 and darina mix hybrid.
Please am into cucumber farming, hw can i get this murano first, my mail; Blessing_tolu@yahoo.com
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Jasi7(m): 9:54pm On Jan 29, 2016
Austin234:
Beautiful explaination. I appreciate

Where did u buy the murano F1 breed?
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 9:56pm On Jan 29, 2016
@texybaby You're already learning by reading the thread grin

@Beboy23 Find agritropic in your state and if you can't find it travel to nearest state to you that has it or ask a friend (you trust with your money) that's in a state where they sell it to buy...then send through courier to you. Hope this helps
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 10:00pm On Jan 29, 2016
@jasi7 agritropic office. if you're in KD...go to mangal plaza...it's on the third floor if I'm not mistaken.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by henrixx(m): 10:03pm On Jan 29, 2016
vanpeele:
@Austin234 I have 300 sacks. The sacks cost me nothing cos I approached a block maker for the cement bags but in Kaduna you can get them for 50 naira for a dozen, 5 or 10 naira for one. The soil is free.

Bought 5 bags of cow manure @ 200 per size 6 sack, so that's 1k.
Pesticide (fighter 35ec 500ml) for 1k, Murano F1 for 4900 naira at the time (the price is now 6500 due to dollar) and the other varieties for free grin. In total that's 6900 naira.

Didn't sell my first harvest. Shared it for blessing sake but my second harvest (this Wednesday), I harvested two bags from three rows. Market price was 1500 per bag. Sold mine at 2500 grin. Cucumbers on the other rows are still growing in size so I hope I have more next week. I hope this helps.
pls can you drop me ur watsap number.... Let's chat more
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by mromo9ja: 10:04pm On Jan 29, 2016
Why you kuku plant the cucumber on that same land where you placed the sacks?
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by mufasasa: 10:14pm On Jan 29, 2016
vanpeele:
@DICON2

I planted 4 varieties
Murano
General Lee
Olympian
Nagano

Murano was the best (obviously). Nagano is the second biggest but it doesn't do well in the harmattan AT ALL. The most common up here are super marketer, marketer, poinsett, poinsett 76 and darina mix hybrid.
please where in kaduna did you get the murano seeds from?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Cost Analysis For 1,000 to 3000 Poultry (layers) Capacity & Feed Mill In Nigeria / Acres Of farmland For Sale At N60,000 Per Acre / How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.