Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,822,000 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna (149908 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Burn A Man's Farm In Ekiti After Being Warned (Photos) / My Little Ginger Sack Farm In The South East / Sack Farming : Diary Of My Mix Crop Sack Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by mascottboy(m): 12:00pm On Feb 01, 2016
I tot as much, bt i hav cover it wit dis fish like net, bt it still happened, nd pls will it re germinate?
vanpeele:

Funny as it may sound, the likely culprit maybe lizard or frog but it may also be birds. For us here quail is the bird.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 1:25pm On Feb 01, 2016
mascottboy:
I tot as much, bt i hav cover it wit dis fish like net, bt it still happened, nd pls will it re germinate?

The way I think you can solve your problem is to be at the farm (full-time if possible). If your weather is cold, it'll take between 5-14 days to germinate. You can scratch the surface a bit to see if they're there and if not, replant or plant watermelon (that's if you like)

Hope this helps
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by mascottboy(m): 2:39pm On Feb 01, 2016
Tnx, de cucumber is at my bakyard, am learning frm it sha, tnx.
vanpeele:

The way I think you can solve your problem is to be at the farm (full-time if possible). If your weather is cold, it'll take between 5-14 days to germinate. You can scratch the surface a bit to see if they're there and if not, replant or plant watermelon (that's if you like)

Hope this helps
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 7:19pm On Feb 01, 2016
mascottboy:
Tnx, de cucumber is at my bakyard, am learning frm it sha, tnx.

Oh ok. Forgot to mention that Nagano doesn't do well in the cold at all. Hope yours does better than mine.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Maqpisces(m): 8:49pm On Feb 01, 2016
Which seeds of Cucumber is most preferable and where can I source for it in Lagos State?
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 9:09pm On Feb 01, 2016
Maqpisces:
Which seeds of Cucumber is most preferable and where can I source for it in Lagos State?

From my little experience, I strongly recommend Murano f1..Don't live in Lag but I'm sure if you Google agritropic Lagos something will come up
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by kaybosedemi(m): 2:10am On Feb 02, 2016
@vanpeele.... thanks bro
@mascottboy...na lizard dey chop those things o.... they can't grow again...just uproot them...the solution... since it is at your backyard, and not much, just get mosquito net.Erect something it can stand on and cover them with it. You have to bury the down side of the net touching the ground with sand. Wet from the top of the net. you can remove it when the second true leaf comes out. By then the lizard will not disturb them again. ..Though on a large scale, you don't have to worry much cos they will what they can and leave the rest. You just have to replant.

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by organicfoods(m): 7:16am On Feb 02, 2016
mascottboy:
Pls, i nid help, i planted my cucumber a week now nd few dat hav germinated, when i got to check dem, de two blades are no more, wat re de causes nd solution pls. Urgent cos i hav planted anoda sets. Nagano f1....tnx.
Lizards and squirrels are major culprit. I spray neem Oil immediately I noticed.

Squirrels also did terrible damages to my ugu seedlings. They uproot them and consume it. Now I treat all my ugu seeds with neem Oil and get 99.9% germination.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 9:19am On Feb 02, 2016
organicfoods:
Lizards and squirrels are major culprit. I spray neem Oil immediately I noticed.

Squirrels also did terrible damages to my ugu seedlings. They uproot them and consume it. Now I treat all my ugu seeds with neem Oil and get 99.9% germination.

Thanks for this info. Didn't know neem had this extra superpower.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Cosmasel: 4:03pm On Feb 02, 2016
Pls Vanpee I need to start a cucumber farm too, so pls I need your help on how to get good seeds. I sent you a mail and would be happy if you reply. Thanks
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by mascottboy(m): 4:11pm On Feb 02, 2016
organicfoods:

tnx, to u all, is lazard dats de culprit, i hv seen many around due to de flies dat come to petch de manure, so now i live at phc, wia can i get de Neem oil also in case of white fly nd virus how do i handle dem?. Advice.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 5:07pm On Feb 02, 2016
Cosmasel:
Pls Vanpee I need to start a cucumber farm too, so pls I need your help on how to get good seeds. I sent you a mail and would be happy if you reply. Thanks

I haven't received it but you can have this 58B81615 BBM
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 5:10pm On Feb 02, 2016
mascottboy:
tnx, to u all, is lazard dats de culprit, i hv seen many around due to de flies dat come to petch de manure, so now i live at phc, wia can i get de Neem oil also in case of white fly nd virus how do i handle dem?. Advice.

Don't live in PH but if you can't find it use Fighter 35EC pesticide. It's very effective. Regarding viruses there's nothing you can do except plant resistant varieties or attack insects that spread them like aphids & co.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Newway2(m): 5:50pm On Feb 02, 2016
My Oga at d top,
Infact, as an advocate of organic farming & neem lover (because of its wonderful work), I intend to cultivate the habit of treating everything I want to plant with neem oil/extract.

Pls cld u educate me more on how to do this? Tnx

organicfoods:

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by organicfoods(m): 6:55am On Feb 03, 2016
Newway2:
My Oga at d top,
Infact, as an advocate of organic farming & neem lover (because of its wonderful work), I intend to cultivate the habit of treating everything I want to plant with neem oil/extract.

Pls cld u educate me more on how to do his? Tnx

Organic is the life wire of good healthy living. Neem Oil and other neem extracts are some of the most cost effective methods for pests management.

Because of the rich presence of azadirachtin in neem which easily oxidize, it serves as a powerful anti feedant and growth inhibitor that is biodegradable. It affects over 200 farm pests with no known toxicity to mammals.

It has a characteristic bitter taste that discourages pests and mammals from feeding on treated foliar. Doesn't affect earth worms and bees. Very good insecticides and fungicide.

Washing seeds in neem water and/ oil protect it from pest attack. At NIHORT grains are protected from pests using neem leave dust.

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 9:25am On Feb 03, 2016
Agritropic addresses

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by 1Oldpine(m): 3:53pm On Feb 03, 2016
Weldon ! How much is a bag of cucumber and what is your target market ?
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 4:21pm On Feb 03, 2016
1Oldpine:
Weldon ! How much is a bag of cucumber and what is your target market ?

Don't know the price as of today but will update you tomorrow cos I'm harvesting. My target market for now are retailers. At the farm you'll have more bargaining power if the quality of your cucumber is good but if you take it to the market, them wholesalers will try to rip you off (that's in KD)
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by mfm04622: 6:10pm On Feb 03, 2016
vanpeele:
@Austin234 I have 300 sacks. The sacks cost me nothing cos I approached a block maker for the cement bags but in Kaduna you can get them for 50 naira for a dozen, 5 or 10 naira for one. The soil is free.

Bought 5 bags of cow manure @ 200 per size 6 sack, so that's 1k.
Pesticide (fighter 35ec 500ml) for 1k, Murano F1 for 4900 naira at the time (the price is now 6500 due to dollar) and the other varieties for free grin. In total that's 6900 naira.

Didn't sell my first harvest. Shared it for blessing sake but my second harvest (this Wednesday), I harvested two bags from three rows. Market price was 1500 per bag. Sold mine at 2500 grin. Cucumbers on the other rows are still growing in size so I hope I have more next week. I hope this helps.

Pls teach us how you were able to sell yours at 2,500 when the market price is 1,500?

Thank you
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 7:13pm On Feb 03, 2016
mfm04622:

Pls teach us how you were able to sell yours at 2,500 when the market price is 1,500?

Thank you

On that day, all the cucumbers in the market had leopard skins (not green at all) and were small in size. Mine was green and almost 3 times the size of most of those in the market. Finally, I didn't sell to wholesalers but retailers. They gave a better price.

No special tricks. Everything worked on that day for me.

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 7:17am On Feb 05, 2016
Yesterday was my third harvest. I've broken even and made profit. I got 3 bags from 3 rows (murano) but someone on nairaland bought it even before I harvested.

@lalasticlala thank you very much. That frontpage wey you put me don open door to many possibilities (I no go mind if you father Christmas me again grin). Coming up will be lessons learned and recommendations based on my experiences with sack farming.

P.S. Each bag was 3k. Initial investment #6900. Second harvest #5000 and #9000 for the third. That's a total of #14000. Profit of #7100 within 68 days and still counting. The biggest cucumber was more than 12 inches

2 Likes

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by restored2016(m): 7:38am On Feb 05, 2016
Beautiful! Hope to start mine soon.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by lcoral(f): 7:42am On Feb 05, 2016
@ op when are the best planting seasons for cucumber. Am in Edo.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 8:39am On Feb 05, 2016
lcoral:
@ op when are the best planting seasons for cucumber. Am in Edo.

Don't know about Edo but during the warm months
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by mufasasa: 9:32am On Feb 05, 2016
Wow congrats op. Do you think you can get one more harvest out of them?
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 9:46am On Feb 05, 2016
mufasasa:
Wow congrats op. Do you think you can get one more harvest out of them?

Hopefully. The other varieties are struggling but we shall see

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by moyin2009: 7:26pm On Feb 05, 2016
@vanpeele I celebrate you, more grace to your effort. More prosperity. please, how can I get the seed to plant in Akure.

when is d right planting season in Akure, Ondo State.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 9:37pm On Feb 05, 2016
moyin2009:
@vanpeele I celebrate you, more grace to your effort. More prosperity. please, how can I get the seed to plant in Akure.

when is d right planting season in Akure, Ondo State.

Thank you very much. For the seeds contact soloxam. He may have an idea where you can get in Akure. Cucumber can grow anytime of the year. For best results, during warm months or raining season.

Enjoy the view

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by moyin2009: 10:55pm On Feb 05, 2016
vanpeele:

Thank you very much. For the seeds contact soloxam. He may have an idea where you can get in Akure. Cucumber can grow anytime of the year. For best results, during warm months or raining season.

Enjoy the view
God will bless you indeed and give you fame and praise. I celebrate you. more grace to you.

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by ABHAKS: 4:48am On Feb 06, 2016
@vanpeele :
Please I'll appreciate if you can let us know the right time to start spraying against or to prevent insect and diseases and the type of insecticides to use. Likewise fertilizer application time schedule
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 4:27pm On Feb 06, 2016
ABHAKS:
@vanpeele :
Please I'll appreciate if you can let us know the right time to start spraying against or to prevent insect and diseases and the type of insecticides to use. Likewise fertilizer application time schedule

Usually I start spraying when the third leaf starts emerging but most recently, I start even before the third leaf because I discovered that at night crickets come out to feast on the first two. Fighter 35EC is what I use. Fertilizer application is usually two weeks after emergence (one Coca-Cola bottle cap like 4 inches away from the stem). Subsequently, weekly.

I hope this helps

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by ABHAKS: 4:57pm On Feb 06, 2016
@vanpeele:
Thanks please what type of fertilizer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Cost Analysis For 1,000 to 3000 Poultry (layers) Capacity & Feed Mill In Nigeria / Acres Of farmland For Sale At N60,000 Per Acre / How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.