Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,112 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag (4839 Views)

Protest At UNILAG Over Rustication, Others / Friends Pour Water On Graduate And His Mother At UNILAG Convocation (Pics) / Dirty Toilets At Unilag Hostels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by Fynestboi: 2:01am On Feb 01, 2016
CAMPUS EDITORS, JOURNALISTS GATHER FOR SUMMIT AT UNILAG

January 31, 2015

Adekunle Adebajo, Lagos

Yesterday, January 30 2016, saw the historic convergence of campus editors and student journalists at the Centre of Excellence, Department of Mass Communication in the University of Lagos. The delegates came from various tertiary institutions in the country including the University of Ibadan, Obafemi Awolowo Univerisity, University of Lagos, University of Ilorin, Ladoke Akintola University of Techonology, Ahmadu Bello University, Crawford University and Tai Solarin Univeristy of Education.

Many of the participants had arrived in the state of Lagos the previous day for the Pre-Summit Conference during which they got to interact and network. The programme, themed ‘21st Century Campus Journalism: Issues, Challenges and Prospects’, was notably the first of its kind to be held under a national body, the National Association of Nigerian Campus Editors (NANCE).

The event was graced by such dignitaries as Mr Sam Omatseye, Chairman of the Nation Newspaper’s Editorial Board; Mr Lekan Otufodunrin, Online Manager of the Nation Newspaper; Mr Raphael I. Bowoto, the Deputy Director of Programmes at the Lagos Chapter of the National Orientation Agency and Dr Sunday who represented the Chairman of UNILAG 103.1 FM.

While delivering his address, Mr Lekan Otufodunrin highlighted and illustrated various rules contained in the Code of Conduct guiding Nigerian journalism. He listed as part of the challenges bedevilling campus journalism the lack of interest from students, obstacles posed by school managements and the lack of training.
He explained that with training, a student may proceed to become a successful journalist, regardless of his non-journalism-related discipline of study. To corroborate this point, he cited the examples of Dele Momodu, the progenitor and owner of Ovation Magazine, Segun Adeyeye and Fisayo Soyombo of The Cables who happens to be graduate of Animal Husbandry. Further, Mr Otufodunrin mentioned that the perfection of writing skills is one of the big prospects of journalism.

Mr Sam Omatseye was presented an Award of Excellence by the NANCE Chairman, Mr Olanrewaju Oyedeji. This award, Mr Oyedeji noted, was for his standing by the association and campus journalism generally. In his reaction, Mr Omatseye thanked the association for the gesture. He thereafter advised the delegates to understand that there is no royal way to success. He substantiated this with life instances of Princess Diana and Thomas Edison who he quoted as saying success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. “If you don’t try to dare failure, you will not succeed”; he said as part of his closing remarks.

The event did not end without the winning of plaques and prizes. Mr Ali Toyin Abdul, defeating 12 other entries, emerged as the Best Campus Editor for year 2015. Also, Ladoke Akintola University of technology was declared winner of the Political Report Contest beating OAU, UNILAG, UNILORIN and UI. Asides these, every one of the delegates left with something to remember as certificates of participation were handed to them by the personages. It is most certain that all now have their eyes fixed upon the next edition of the Campus Editors Summit which most likely will be held in a different geo-political zone.

2 Likes

Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by Berrylite: 5:57am On Feb 01, 2016
This is time for Nigerian Youths to start rearing up their heads because the future belongs to us.

Reverse your type 2 diabetes using the natural supplement called GLUCOFIT.
Check my signature or profile for more details
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by omojesu202(m): 5:57am On Feb 01, 2016
good one...
Jesus is Lord!!!
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by lonelydora: 6:00am On Feb 01, 2016
And they couldn't even invite UNN?

A UNN graduate is ahead of you, Naturally.

2 Likes

Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by ngmgeek(m): 6:01am On Feb 01, 2016
Good

God Is Good
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by Shehucom(m): 6:01am On Feb 01, 2016
Am not a good writer, but a better reader
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by McLove(m): 6:02am On Feb 01, 2016
Gentlemen of the press... Power of the pen
neyoor
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by pinpinkay: 6:02am On Feb 01, 2016
c
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by aare07(m): 6:04am On Feb 01, 2016
We are leaders of today.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by yinkus204(m): 6:06am On Feb 01, 2016
pinpinkay:
c
see ur life early in d morning u dey book space
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by Nobody: 6:07am On Feb 01, 2016
na those old men in that bill be youth better wake up man.
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by skillet(m): 6:07am On Feb 01, 2016
Nice initiate
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by bewla(m): 6:10am On Feb 01, 2016
u
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by Amastermovic(m): 6:22am On Feb 01, 2016
OK lemme get prepared.
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by MyLady11(m): 6:29am On Feb 01, 2016
Am IN
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by garma4n15(m): 6:35am On Feb 01, 2016
VIDEO – NAIJA GUY LEAKS SEXTAPE OF HIS GIRLFRIEND WHO IS AN ACTRESS AFTER DUMPING HIM

http://www.leaknaija.ml/2016/01/video-see-what-unilag-girls-are-doing.html
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by Nobody: 6:36am On Feb 01, 2016
Why on earth should someone quote a whole article just to write something that does not even concern topic... Nobody should provoke me this morning oo
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by Sheenor: 6:37am On Feb 01, 2016
Making sense. It's a Welcome development. Thumbs up....
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by aleeyu312(m): 6:51am On Feb 01, 2016
Ok.

i made it!
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by Tourshaw: 7:02am On Feb 01, 2016
McLove:
neyoor
Neyoor? You know him too?
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by Nobody: 7:13am On Feb 01, 2016
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by Luckysbab: 7:29am On Feb 01, 2016
Na so this bros just win Mr. Lekan's #5000 o. Brief and concise, commendable. The writer should work harder in his sentence construction, best wishes.

1 Like

Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by Nobody: 9:57am On Feb 01, 2016
Thank God I was physically present at this intellectual and mouth watering event.

kiss kiss kiss kiss

And congrats to my friend Ali Toyin Abdul (Smart) for emerging as the best Nigerian Campus Editor.

1 Like

Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by Nobody: 9:59am On Feb 01, 2016
Tourshaw:

Neyoor? You know him too?
McLove:
neyoor

My bosses! I'm loyal oooo kiss
Re: Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At Unilag by barcaboi(m): 3:38pm On Feb 15, 2016
Good morning boss...I wonder why you banned me for no just cause....I'd love to know why.....tnx in advance

(1) (Reply)

See What A Lecturer Of Bida Polytechnic Posted On Facebook / When Punishing Female Students Go Wrong / Seun Osewa: The Brain Behind Nairaland Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.