Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,382 members, 7,812,125 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:41 AM

Black American Relocating To Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Black American Relocating To Nigeria (893 Views)

Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. / 7 Attitudes You Should Have On Lagos Roads If You Are Relocating To Lagos. / Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black American Relocating To Nigeria by naija2b(f): 5:39am On Feb 01, 2016
Hello All:

Within the next year I will be moving to Nigeria. Port Harcourt or somewhere close in that region. I have only read about places like Lagos or Abuja. So I have no clue about this area/region.

The only thing I have heard is that it's nice. While I'm sure that's true, I was hoping to gather some more info. I know I will visit first before I actually move but I'm still moving as I'm getting married soon. So I just wanted to know what's life like there. I know the question is general but any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance smiley
Re: Black American Relocating To Nigeria by lasisi69(f): 5:43am On Feb 01, 2016
naija2b:
Hello All:

Within the next year I will be moving to Nigeria. Port Harcourt or somewhere close in that region. I have only read about places like Lagos or Abuja. So I have no clue about this area/region.

The only thing I have heard is that it's nice. While I'm sure that's true, I was hoping to gather some more info. I know I will visit first before I actually move but I'm still moving as I'm getting married soon. So I just wanted to know what's life like there. I know the question is general but any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance smiley
lol..

1 Like

Re: Black American Relocating To Nigeria by naija2b(f): 5:50am On Feb 01, 2016
WOW!!!! I'm not sure where all that hostility is coming from. I'm sorry if you were offended by my post. I didn't mean any harm by it.

However, you really can't be serious. You actually judge a group of people based on movies about black people in America? Movies that are rooted in gross stereotypes and where people are misrepresented and marginalized by systematic racism. I hope I'm misunderstanding you. That's like me judging Nigerians by all the Naija movies I have seen. It's crazy and ignorant.

Anyway, have a good day. I hope all is well in your world.

1 Like

Re: Black American Relocating To Nigeria by okenwa(m): 6:03am On Feb 01, 2016
Porthacout

1. Is a fast developing city.
2. On arrival at the airport, you can observe some structures that need urgent face-lift
3. House rent is quite expensive, but can be affordable because people are not living in the office or streets
4. Social life is on the highest level,
5. The city has about 75% Christian of different denominations
6. The speak ibo, nkwere....... ijaw and many other languages.
Please others can be of help. You are welcome

2 Likes

Re: Black American Relocating To Nigeria by Glock9(m): 6:52am On Feb 01, 2016
What you do or intend to do for a living should also be factored in. Port Harcourt and Lagos are commercial nerve centres in the nation with a lot of business opportunities.

Housing is expensive but ill suggest you buy a house so you don't have to keep paying rent indefinitely. I take it you are getting married to a Nigerian so learning as much as possible about your husbands language and culture will give you smooth sailing.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Black American Relocating To Nigeria by bewla(m): 6:53am On Feb 01, 2016
naija2b:
WOW!!!! I'm not sure where all that hostility is coming from. I'm sorry if you were offended by my post. I didn't mean any harm by it.

However, you really can't be serious. You actually judge a group of people based on movies about black people in America? Movies that are rooted in gross stereotypes and where people are misrepresented and marginalized by systematic racism. I hope I'm misunderstanding you. That's like me judging Nigerians by all the Naija movies I have seen. It's crazy and ignorant.

Anyway, have a good day. I hope all is well in your world.
c me as soon as u land for your protection as body guide

1 Like

Re: Black American Relocating To Nigeria by naija2b(f): 7:35am On Feb 01, 2016
Glock9:
What you do or intend to do for a living should also be factored in. Port Harcourt and Lagos are commercial nerve centres in the nation with a lot of business opportunities.

Housing is expensive but ill suggest you buy a house so you don't have to keep paying rent indefinitely. I take it you are getting married to a Nigerian so learning as much as possible about your husbands language and culture will give you smooth sailing.

Cheers.

I'm a Kindergarten Teacher by trade but I'm not sure if I will be able to find that type of work right away. I am getting married to an Igbo Nigerian so I have been trying to learn, research and ask questions about culture.

I just ask these general questions too because I like to hear what advice people give to clueless foreigners like myself.
Re: Black American Relocating To Nigeria by Glock9(m): 12:21pm On Feb 01, 2016
There will be openings for your line of work as there are a lot of schools and you will find a good fit since you have international experience. Please try out the private schools as they pay better.

1 Like

Re: Black American Relocating To Nigeria by aariwa(m): 1:07pm On Feb 01, 2016
Avoid show offs and expensive lifestyle in order to ward off petty criminals.You can easily blend with people there because your skin colour is black.Ask your fiancee for Nigerian food and songs because you are gonna like it.Apply to big and multinational schools for positions there.You will have an edge over others because our people in the educational field are in love with American accents and port Harcourt is an oil and gas producing city with many foreigners and big multi national corporations

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Popular Hotels In Abuja / 7 Things You Didn’t Know You Could Do In Lagos / Photo: Obudu Mountain Resort Devil’s Elbow Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.