Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,758 members, 7,820,638 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:38 PM

Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) (17557 Views)

'Ocean Dome' Indoor Beach In Japan (Pictures) / Anyone Living In New York?is The Crime Rate That High?new York Or Virginia / Anyone Living In Spain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by bisoyeg(m): 8:06am On Jul 01, 2009
Goodday nairalanders
I have a recent plan of Migrating to Japan to work and as well study i really need to know the situation of things there as regards to how foreigners are treated,getting a job and also the living conditions there please is there any one living in Japan at the moment i need alot of enlightment before i embark on the journey.I wait impatiently for your response i hope they keep coming soon
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by Nobody: 9:44am On Jul 01, 2009
i was living in Tokyo and life over there is no different than anywhere else around the civilized world. the language barrier might be a little troubling at first but then if you start to speak it then it will get much easier for you.
jobwise: if you dont speak japanese, you will have to probably find an english speaking firm that deals exclusively with the US (very hard to find) or work in a bar/club that caters exclusively for a foreign crowd(roppongi).
if you havent got a valid working visa, dont expect finding a well paid decent job.
Foreigners are well respected in Japan (blacks included) there are few odds of people who might not want to deal with a black man but that would probably be because of the foreigners that have been over there and made a fool out of themselves and the rest of us.
japanese are very respectful people, have good manners and as long as you come correct, people will mostly treat you the same way.

there are a bunch of nigerians in Tokyo and a great deal will be found working in Roppongi, the "foreigners playground". there are many Nigerian/ghanaans owned businesses over there from clubs/bars to restaurant.
be ready to be blown away by how amazing this country is.
as for the small bits and pieces:
- you always have to take off your shoes when going inside a home
- bowing when greeting someone is advised
- if you are lost, just ask anyone around and they will gladly help.
- wherever you eat, you will be given a warm cloth before the meal (oshibori). you should always use it to clean your hands (even if you just clean them) but never let it touch your face.
- if you like to eat fruits and vegetables at home, be ready to spend an incredible amount for that privilege in japan.
- japanese cannot pronounce the letter R and some form of L when speaking english.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by bisoyeg(m): 8:49am On Jul 02, 2009
@MRbrown
Thanks alot for your words on enlightenment i really appreciate it i am still open to all suggestions and advices i should be setting out for Japan soon Nagoya precisely looking forward to your contribution
thanks
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by inspiredm(m): 8:57am On Jul 02, 2009
@ MrBrownJay

Thanks for the indepth insight and analysis, it is deffo gonna come in handy cool cool
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by iice(f): 10:34am On Jul 03, 2009
MRbrownJAY:

japanese are very respectful people, have good manners and as long as you come correct, people will mostly treat you the same way.

Very true, and punctual too
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jul 03, 2009
iice:

Very true, and punctual too

yes you are absolutely right, and being late is seen as a lack of respect(even in dates).

here are some more
- when taking the subway in the morning, you will see a majority of the people sleeping in their seat and like an alarm clock, they always wake up just before their stops.
- japanese work very hard so if you are a lazy person, you wont make it compare to the locals.
- in the office, even if your finish time is 5pm, workers dont normally go home until 1)the job is done 2) the manager is gone
- japanese take work very seriously and their job is their biggest asset before their wife/children etc
- losing their job is like the end of the world for some and thats why many commit suicide when they do.
- the reason japanese dont often go on holidays from their work is because they are afraid that the person replacing them is going to outshine them at their duties.
- if you like your women to be open minded about their feeling then you btter find a japanese girl that was born and lived most of her life abroad
- japanese women do not shave and some are VERY hairy down there (japanese men love hairy women).
- japanese cant handle alcohol. they either drink a lot or dont drink at all. there is no middle way
- going to a karaoke is very common in Japan
- going to a hostess/strip club to conclude a business deal is very common in Japan
- doing business in Japan, you always have to have a business card and thats the first thing you give when meeting a prospective business partner.
- in the bedroom dont expect women to be very open minded and sexually freaky. even if they are, they are very shy and it takes time for them to let go.
- you dont often see fat people in Japan
- it is completely normal in Japan to see a grown man in the subway reading a comic book
- taking the subway on sunday can be worst than during the peak hour of the weekdays because all japanese go out with their families during the weekends
- japanese men rarely see their children because most leave home very early in the morning and never return before very late at night
- going to a karaoke/hostess club with your colleagues after work is part of life in Japan and most workers go at least twice a week
- you might make a lot of japanese friends but dont expect them to invite you home anytime soon
- dont expect to have a 100sqm flat in japan, for 1000$ per month, you are lucky if you get a 50sqm flat(rent in Japan is one of the most expensive in the world after Moscow)
- there is a good subway and train connection in Japan so living 1hr outside Tokyo is considered the norm to some.
- japanese are some of the biggest perverts in the world, its not unusual to see vending machine for used school girl underwear sealed in plastic bag to keep their "freshness" AND men stand in front of the machine choosing which one to buy with absolutely no shame!
- its a known fact that many shcool girl sell their used underwear to make extra money, they wear it for 3 days non stop and then sell them to the various shops who will ask the girl to take it off in front of them, then they will put it in a sealed bag, write the girls name on it and even some will have a photo of the girl to prove it,
- going to a love hotel with a girl is considered normal in Japan as most unmarried people still live with their parents
- most japanese dont leave home until they are married
- its not unusual to meet a japanese girl that look 17yrs old but in fact is well into her mid 30s
- in Japan, they recycle everything so if you dont separate your trash, they will bring it back to your front door(they did with me anyway).
- if you get arrested for any minor crime in Japan, as a foreigner they usually throw you in jail for 21 days.

8 Likes

Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jul 03, 2009
t
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jul 03, 2009
test
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jul 03, 2009
test
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by iice(f): 2:18am On Jul 04, 2009
Hahaha, so true Mrbrown cheesy cheesy

I do like your write ups. . .very informative cheesy
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jul 04, 2009
iice:

Hahaha, so true Mrbrown cheesy cheesy

I do like your write ups. . .very informative cheesy

thanks, remembering Japan reminds me of why i fell in love with that place.

1 Like

Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by bisoyeg(m): 7:00am On Jul 07, 2009
@mrbrown
Please i need information on how easy for a foreigner to get job in Japan and also please do you know any thing about Nagoya i really appreciate your advices thanks
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by Nobody: 7:35am On Jul 07, 2009
bisoyeg:

@mrbrown
Please i need information on how easy for a foreigner to get job in Japan and also please do you know any thing about Nagoya i really appreciate your advices thanks

hey i am sorry but i cant help you with Nagoya as i have never been there.
as for the jobs in Japan, it's all down to 1) if you have the legal status to work 2) if you speak japanese 3)what kind of employment you are looking for.
beware, working in a japanese office can be quite demanding. my friend was a french banker working for a local bank and, even though the money was excellent, he quit because working with japanese was crazy. he usually started at 9 and finish at 8pm, with only 1hr lunch break per day and most of his colleague didnt take their lunch break and prefer to eat a sandwich during their break while keep on working.
you can definitely find "black"jobs but i wouldnt recommend it because if you start at the bottom, its hard to get anywhere decent (unless you are a lucky man).
there are many English free magazine where you can read about some few job offers here and there. remember that all the jobs advertised are for people with legal working visas and often for people with minimal Japanese speaking knowledge.
here are 2 of the best free english magazine that you can search for jobs
Metropolis: http://metropolis.co.jp/default.asp
Tokyo notice board: http://www.tokyonoticeboard.co.jp/

1 Like

Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by bisoyeg(m): 7:46am On Jul 07, 2009
Thanks alot bro i am really grateful please finally would you advice anyone to migrate to Japan judging from your experience and from others
thanks

1 Like

Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jul 07, 2009
bisoyeg:

Thanks alot bro i am really grateful please finally would you advice anyone to migrate to Japan judging from your experience and from others
thanks

yes i would advise anyone to migrate to Japan as long as they were thinking straight. a person going there as an illegal immigrant could succeed but the road will be much steeper for them.
bare in mind that wherever you go around the world, there will be ups and downs about any country. no country in the world is "the best" with only ups. the catch is to find countries with the less downs and the more ups depending on your criterias and what you consider important.
to me, Japan was perfect in so many ways
my ups in Japan were:
- low crime,
- life expectancy is very high there so something must be good in what they eat or how they live their lives.
- the technology.
- the culture,
- the respect that people have for one another (strangers included).
- Japanese are perfectionists by nature, whatever they do, they do it GOOD.
- racism almost inexistent
- fantastic nightlife

but there were some drawbacks.
- the prices of food(i like to eat well and to do that in japan is a luxury).
- the lack of green spacess like parks etc.
- the fact that almost everyone is working 6 days a week and therefore they are all busy during the week.
- the fact that women were so reserved (or took time to be comfortable).
- Tokyo is a very crowded city.

but even with all these low points, i consider Tokyo my number 2 city in the world to live in, after Sydney.
so give it a try and make your own judgment.

ps japanese have a very strange humor: here is show similar to MTV PUNKED

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9TQJ6MJOmw&hl=en&fs=1&"[/flash]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by sonety2k(m): 10:30am On Jul 08, 2009
@ MRbrownJAY

THREE GBOSA for MRbrownJAY he has said it all GBOSA , GBOSA, GBOSAAAAAAAAA , ,

And in case u in Japan i could link you up with some people @ Nagoya , BUT FOR NOW THERE IS NO JOB !!! even the brazillian in Nagoya are going back , may be later in the year there might be more job around .

My handy = +81-9017259102
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by bisoyeg(m): 11:38pm On Jul 08, 2009
@Mrbrown
Thanks alot i will remember everything you said
@sonety2k
thanks also bro i will get in touch as soon as i get to Nagoya
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by Nobody: 1:32am On Jul 11, 2009
yes at the moment there is no place in the world where job will be easy to find, due to the crisis that is still going strong despite claims that we are well passed it.
also, not to scare you away but check this link about Tokyo:

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/worlds-most-expensive-cities-to-live.html;_ylc=X3oDMTFiYzg2YzRtBF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLXRvZGF5BHNsawNleHBlbnNpdmUtd29ybGQ-

but i am sure this is something you already figured out.
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by Vladmir2: 4:08pm On Jul 11, 2009
what of those who intend to study,is it affordable? and what is the quality like?
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by bisoyeg(m): 8:48pm On Jul 25, 2009
cool
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by symbian03(m): 7:28am On Jul 26, 2009
@Bisoyeg, what's the visa status you're traveling with?
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by bisoyeg(m): 8:10am On Jul 26, 2009
travelling on a temporary visa {V}
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by symbian03(m): 9:24am On Jul 27, 2009
Thought it was a student, and will you be able to change your status when you're there?
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 27, 2009
bisoyeg:

travelling on a temporary visa {V}

unfortunately with this type of visa you wont be able to work(nothing legal anyway).
if you can find a job/get married or get someone to sponsor you BEFORE THAT VISA IS OVER then you can change from a visitor's visa to a work/spousal or dependent's visa.

1 Like

Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by symbian03(m): 3:58pm On Jul 27, 2009
@Mrbrownjay thanks for your professional advise. I began to fall in love with that country after all you've stated.
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by davidif: 6:47pm On Dec 10, 2009
Mr. brownjay
You are right, my former south korean roomate told me that the Japanese were serious perverts. I think its because less than 2% of the country are christians.
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by Nobody: 6:50pm On Dec 10, 2009
And you believe that without taking into consideration the natural mutual antipathy between Japan and Korea?
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by davidif: 8:44pm On Dec 10, 2009
No, i have heard from other sources that they are freaks. The poster even just confirmed it.
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by Nobody: 11:56pm On Dec 10, 2009
tensor777:

And you believe that without taking into consideration the natural mutual antipathy between Japan and Korea?

yeah you are absolutely right!!!!!
most Koreans tend to hate Japanese with a passion and the same goes for Chinese and Japanese
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by finemax(m): 9:58pm On Dec 13, 2009
@mr brown, how easier it is for one to school and work at the same time in japan.how possible it is to migrate from malaysia to japan as a student.
Re: Anyone Living In Japan?(urgent) by Nobody: 8:40pm On Dec 15, 2009
finemax:

@mr brown, how easier it is for one to school and work at the same time in japan.how possible it is to migrate from malaysia to japan as a student.

sorry but i have absolutely no idea about immigratng from Malaysia to Japan but what i do know is that having ONE job will probably take all your spare time so it might be quite difficult, if not IMPOSSIBLE, to do both.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Truck Crushes NYSC Corps Member To Death In Edo / Lagos Airport Terminal 1building Will Beat Miami’s / Lagos-Ibadan Train Schedule For The Festive Period (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.