Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,976 members, 7,952,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:46 AM

The Travails Of An Independent Single Woman In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Travails Of An Independent Single Woman In Nigeria (722 Views)

Horrible Plight Of A Single Woman / Single Woman Interested In Adopting A Child / Man Caught Sleeping With Married Woman In Kaduna South, Beaten To Stupor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Travails Of An Independent Single Woman In Nigeria by StevensJojo(f): 7:18am On Feb 03, 2016
http://www.todaysafricanwoman.com/2016/02/01/independent-single-woman-isw/

Why are independent women in Nigeria over 30 humiliated so much? They are looked down on like being single is a crime. During my job as a journalist iv have spoken to a lot of women and the stories are so heartbreaking.
I’l share some of them
Abike (a 40 yr old civil servant)was on her way to work the other day,had a little issue with the conductor and before she could say jack,the young lad started raining abuses on her (oh …you think you can talk to me like that,I don’t blame you…”that is why you can never be married”)
Nnenna (a 36yr old business woman) got to the shopping mall in high spirits and was busy tending to her goods when her neighbor came in to remind her of the electricity bill that could not be paid due to her absence the previous week. What started as a mild disagreement led to a heated argument and the neighbor dropped the usual line”(that’s why you can never be married,because of your bad attitude)”Nnena wept sore, locked
her store and went home.
Someone may want to say…oh is that enough to make her cry ?Anyway,do well to ask those who have been there and they will tell you, it hurts real bad,but why do the society just think that because a lady is unmarried, she doesn’t have a right to talk, to defend herself or even be entitled to an opinion?

Just recently, an On Air Personality in Lagos, Nigeria, tweeted about a private matter that should have remained private and her assailants, two full grown men came for her and took her to the cleaners,with very harsh words that could actually send some people to the world beyond (Suicide). It was so sad, that the men abused her sexuality while spewing profanities with impunity on social media platforms. The question is,must people insult a lady based on her single status,is it a crime to be single?

This is just to mention but a few. It is even worse when an ISL is successful, everyone believes she probably must have slept her way to the top,her male colleagues would tell all manner of lies behind her to justify their own inefficiency.

http://www.todaysafricanwoman.com/2016/02/01/independent-single-woman-isw/

1 Like

Re: The Travails Of An Independent Single Woman In Nigeria by Dyt(f): 9:01am On Feb 03, 2016
undecided undecided undecided undecided
undecided
Re: The Travails Of An Independent Single Woman In Nigeria by izeekbiz(m): 9:57am On Feb 03, 2016
Dyt:
undecided undecided undecided undecided
undecided
Re: The Travails Of An Independent Single Woman In Nigeria by Dyt(f): 9:58am On Feb 03, 2016
izeekbiz:

I like you too
kiss kiss
Are you the miracle I have been waiting for?
Re: The Travails Of An Independent Single Woman In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:55am On Feb 03, 2016
Its terrible that people reason this way.Being single now looks like a crime.

(1) (Reply)

FIRST Woman Gave Birth To A Bouncing Baby Boy Inside Brt Bus. / What Would You Do In This Awkward Situation? / Omg! Policeman Catches His Wife Having S*x With Another Police Officer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.