Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

Toyota Highlander 2003 Transmission Problem - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Highlander 2003 Transmission Problem (1788 Views)

Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem / From Car Wash To Transmission Problem. Help / Golf 4 Automatic Transmission Problem Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Highlander 2003 Transmission Problem by tnthommie(m): 3:51pm On Feb 03, 2016
Hello car gurus in the house. I have a problem with my Toyota Highlander 2003 SUV. Yesterday I was travelling with it and I stopped at a police check point then when I was cleared I hit the gas pedal and I got no response, I looked at the dashboard and I saw the AT OIL TEMP Indicator was on, I hit the gas pedal again and I got a very weak response.
The acceleration was very slow, I located a safe place and parked then I checked the engine. I perceived a burnt odour from the engine. I gauged the gear oil and engine oil and both were not running short. I tried moving the car again and it bluntly refused to move when I put the gear in drive and reverse.
I had to tow the car to the nearest mechanic in the town.

Please what could be the cause of such problem.

lalasticlala please help a brother in need.
Re: Toyota Highlander 2003 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 4:25pm On Feb 03, 2016
You have toasted your transmission, and will require a replacement. The ATF temp indicator must have been on a while before you noticed.

Reason? Something went wrong with either the cooling line or the torque converter line, compromising atf cooling. Before the Police stop, did you notice anything abnormal?
Re: Toyota Highlander 2003 Transmission Problem by tnthommie(m): 4:46pm On Feb 03, 2016
Kashif:
You have toasted your transmission, and will require a replacement. The ATF temp indicator must have been on a while before you noticed.

Reason? Something went wrong with either the cooling line or the torque converter line, compromising atf cooling. Before the Police stop, did you notice anything abnormal?

Thanks for your response. Before i was stopped, i didnt notice anything abnormal. The movement was okay.
Re: Toyota Highlander 2003 Transmission Problem by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:56pm On Feb 03, 2016
you must have lost some transmission fluid at some point.
Re: Toyota Highlander 2003 Transmission Problem by tnthommie(m): 5:06pm On Feb 03, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
you must have lost some transmission fluid at some point.

Does it mean i need to top the transmission fluid to settle the issue?
Re: Toyota Highlander 2003 Transmission Problem by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:19pm On Feb 03, 2016
tnthommie:

I wish it was that easy, but at this stage there's no harm in checking for leaks and topping up fluid with Type IV oil
Re: Toyota Highlander 2003 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 6:34am On Feb 04, 2016
tnthommie:

But you said the atf (and engine oil) level was normal when this happened?
Re: Toyota Highlander 2003 Transmission Problem by tnthommie(m): 7:12am On Feb 04, 2016
Kashif:

But you said the atf (and engine oil) level was normal when this happened?

yes it was.
Re: Toyota Highlander 2003 Transmission Problem by mayor2013: 7:16am On Feb 04, 2016
tnthommie:

yes it was.

tnthommie:

yes it was.

When was the last time you had your transmission serviced and strainer cleaned up ?
Re: Toyota Highlander 2003 Transmission Problem by boldx(m): 7:32am On Feb 04, 2016
Which type of ATF did you use to service your transmission before your trip? Abro, seahorse or type IV? Please be sincere.
Re: Toyota Highlander 2003 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 9:17am On Feb 04, 2016
boldx:
Which type of ATF did you use to service your transmission before your trip? Abro, seahorse or type IV? Please be sincere.

Irrelevant question. Should he 'service' his transmission before travelling? It is amusing when peeps keep referring to atf drain and refill as transmission servicing.
Re: Toyota Highlander 2003 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 9:21am On Feb 04, 2016
tnthommie:

yes it was.

Then lets rule out aft loss. There was a cooling failure. If you were short on atf, the shifts will be delayed, and will most likely slip.
Re: Toyota Highlander 2003 Transmission Problem by tnthommie(m): 9:36am On Feb 06, 2016
thanks to you all for your contributions, the transmission system got ruined like Kashif said in his first comment, I called a guy that used some device to scan the car and the fault was detected.
I was able to buy another transmission system today and it will be fixed. I just hope it works well.
Will keep you guys posted..
Ciao.

Re: Toyota Highlander 2003 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 10:34am On Feb 06, 2016
Ensure the problem that ruined the first one is corrected before installing this one. It is well.
Re: Toyota Highlander 2003 Transmission Problem by tnthommie(m): 11:30am On Feb 06, 2016
Kashif:
Ensure the problem that ruined the first one is corrected before installing this one. It is well.

Allright bro, I will see to that.

(1) (Reply)

Please How Much Its Cost To Change To Toyota Corolla 2006 Shock Absorber / Has FG Lifted Ban On Vehicle Importation Through Land Borders,agents Pls Help. / Miracle As Man Survives An Accident In Anambra State (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.