Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,570 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. (38348 Views)

Man Sacked By His Boss After He Refused To Sleep With His Wife / Dangote Refinery: Graduate Trainees Vow To End Fuel Scarcity / Dangote Oil Refinery: Graduate Engineer Trainees Return After Overseas Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Aremu01(m): 8:07pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
I received a call from the Hr unit that they are sending 5 Trainees to me for confirmation. I was surprised because they didn't give me a prior notice. When I Queried the lady from the Hr unit she said the Senior Partner (HOD) contacted them that he will travelling to the UK that I can go ahead with the confirmation.

I was a bit nervous because I find it difficult relating with people, what do I ask them? Moreover I have too much on my hands already. I told Hr to give me an hour so that I can coordinate myself tongue....The truth is if you confirm a trainee and He/she under performs, it tells badly on your record. Here I am always striving to maintain a spotless record now this challenge doesn't look good.

Exactly an hour later Hr unit called again that they are on their way, I told her to take them to the conference room.....30mins later I joined them Lo and Behold I saw 5 well dressed gentlemen and ladies 3 guys and 2 ladies. I stared at them and they were looking back at me (which kind witch be this I said to myself) They thought I was testing them truth is I don't even know what to say or ask....."tell me your names I started".....after all the blah blah.....i went through their cv's it was good. 3 had first class. it was B.A trainee, I looked at their aptitude test performances read their essays great; yet I didn't know what further qstns to ask. So I wrote down a simple arithmetic on the board and I gave them 90s to solve. Only one got it right within the time frame (A lady!!!!; she bagged First class from Reading University UK). I thanked them for their interest in joining us. I sent my remarks to Hr and they were shocked. Hr Manager had to call me explaining that they have spent so such on the recruitment exercise and approving just one means they have to continue the exercise. I simply told him Mr ***a** you can confirm the rest.

This was the simple problem I wrote on the board.

€/€ - €/6 = €/12......what is the value of €?

So I am asking you, how good are you with basic reasoning?

@op,I read your very first post on nairaland about the dilemma with ur woman , I can see you didn't search for job for long, so u don't know how it is out here.
U don't know the level of unemployment n the depression and hardship faced by jobless graduates.
Yes u conveniently dashed the hope of those poor guys.
Did you even consider it might be tension that made them fail? U gave them 90secs.
Did it not occur to use another question to judge.
I am sorry to say,u re very wicked.
Eleda awon omo yen a ja
Lest u forget, u ll some day have kids n dr destiny ll also be at another person's mercy.
Do you have conscience at all?

13 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by bezimo(m): 8:09pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
I received a call from the Hr unit that they are sending 5 Trainees to me for confirmation. I was surprised because they didn't give me a prior notice. When I Queried the lady from the Hr unit she said the Senior Partner (HOD) contacted them that he will travelling to the UK that I can go ahead with the confirmation.

I was a bit nervous because I find it difficult relating with people, what do I ask them? Moreover I have too much on my hands already. I told Hr to give me an hour so that I can coordinate myself tongue....The truth is if you confirm a trainee and He/she under performs, it tells badly on your record. Here I am always striving to maintain a spotless record now this challenge doesn't look good.

Exactly an hour later Hr unit called again that they are on their way, I told her to take them to the conference room.....30mins later I joined them Lo and Behold I saw 5 well dressed gentlemen and ladies 3 guys and 2 ladies. I stared at them and they were looking back at me (which kind witch be this I said to myself) They thought I was testing them truth is I don't even know what to say or ask....."tell me your names I started".....after all the blah blah.....i went through their cv's it was good. 3 had first class. it was B.A trainee, I looked at their aptitude test performances read their essays great; yet I didn't know what further qstns to ask. So I wrote down a simple arithmetic on the board and I gave them 90s to solve. Only one got it right within the time frame (A lady!!!!; she bagged First class from Reading University UK). I thanked them for their interest in joining us. I sent my remarks to Hr and they were shocked. Hr Manager had to call me explaining that they have spent so such on the recruitment exercise and approving just one means they have to continue the exercise. I simply told him Mr ***a** you can confirm the rest.

This is so easy.If your narration is true, then this is shocking that only 1 out of 5 graduates got it right.This is elementary school algebra that high school students should play with and deliver in less than 30 seconds.

€=4

2 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Marxxx: 8:09pm On Feb 03, 2016
Mattex001:

What if I made 2.1 in Pol sc or Geography ? Its a Trainee Job so i think the course of study doesn't count, I must say Your opinion is undoubtedly void of a reasonable thinking...
If you want to become a Business or Financial Analyst you have to be good numerically. See you are funny what did I study? Fishries and Aqua culture. During training I bested guys who had good numerical background. Don't give yourself an excuse for failing...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by dazzlingd(m): 8:11pm On Feb 03, 2016
op u were given a simple task and u failed to handle it properly, how does this show efficiency?
u have weaknesses plus issues, serious one.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Mrlekan07034617: 8:12pm On Feb 03, 2016
Bigtoto:
Come!@ op why are you this wicked? Such questions are for classrooms please. I've been in the service for over 10years and I've never encountered such questions during work.

You for ask them general questions, what if the other four are good in their own field? This is why we've been paused for so long.

Hello Ma'am I see no wrong with what op did, for crying out loud those guys are graduate and this mathematics question is damn to cheap for 4 of them to Bleep up.

We all did mathematics in school @least to 'o' level stage. Forget it when it comes to job interview u expect anything, and besides the Op too needs not to confirm people of poor/low reasoning which might tarnish his records.

We understand the terrible situation out there when it comes to Job hunting but still the Op just did what he had to do.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Boeing777pilot: 8:13pm On Feb 03, 2016
Mattex001:

What if I made 2.1 in Pol sc or Geography ? Its a Trainee Job so i think the course of study doesn't count, I must say Your opinion is undoubtedly void of a reasonable thinking...

Mr ITK aka I too Know, trainee jobs are not generic but the term is.

Applicants for an engineering trainee job would be different from a management trainee job, so questions would be asked within their specific disciplines.

Learn to cross check your opinions first in your head before you actually write them down and confirm doubts about your one dimensional thinking patterns.

1 Like

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by GeoOla25(m): 8:14pm On Feb 03, 2016
brunofarad:
So u want these poor kids to help u find ur lost €
By dashing Their hopes at the 11th hour

Oya you what's the value of

i2 under complex number realm

Solve within 90seconds

Over sabi
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by davide470(m): 8:14pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
davide470 about six years ago when I got to this stage, I was confirmed by an Indian. We were 18 only 3 were picked. To be candid if I asked them the questions that Indian man asked me six years ago I am very sure none will scale through. Your degree (1.1, 2.1) shows you are capable of learning, But it doesn't show your speed or rate of learning. We deal with very complex financial theories. Moreover first class is as common as clay around here. Trainees are very expensive to maintain. So when they under perform...your decision making skill will be questioned...Arithmetic (Numerical skill) determines alot. Sometimes you get incomplete data from a client and you are supposed to advise them based on the data. They are paying you millions for that, do you tell them incomplete data? You reason out the rest from God knows where....so I was fair enough...
You were fair enough to chose just 1? Baba, fear God na.

Aside just arithmetic for your based decision, other questions should have arose not negating the fact that tension, distraction from seeing a "fellow young colleague" deciding their fate would come to play.

Also, for them to get to that stage, then they were very GOOD! and they were tested on all your firm's core values and corporate what-not at previous stages.

Anyhow sha, what was the outcome of your choice?

8 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by I888(m): 8:14pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:

Most times you guys get into a company and forget how hard it is to get a job. You were told to confirm them and not set another test.

What were you trying to proof?

Though the question you asked is very simple and didn't expect any of them to fail the answer but then we all have our weak and strong point. Sometime you have to be considerate.

You were just being paranoid; that's all.

9 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by WaffenSS(m): 8:15pm On Feb 03, 2016
this motherfuccker ought to be killed with fire

4 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Ishilove: 8:16pm On Feb 03, 2016
ladyF:
€ is 4.

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin
Why do I have a feeling you're a guy?

Your profile picture is very disturbing
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Nobody: 8:17pm On Feb 03, 2016
You be confam idiot jare. Someone don give you one arithmetic to solve on fp, go solve am make we see. I.T.K, oversabi na im dey do u. I can bet my last kobo, u are not smart/intelligent as u are trying to portray at the expense of those young, aspiring candidates. Better go do the needful and ask better questions from them. Mtcheeew!

Marxxx:
Mind your language your man!

1 Like

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by petiteee(f): 8:18pm On Feb 03, 2016
Aremu01:

@op,I read your very first post on nairaland about the dilemma with ur woman , I can see you didn't search for job for long, so u don't know how it is out here.
U don't know the level of unemployment n the depression and hardship faced by jobless graduates.
Yes u conveniently dashed the hope of those poor guys.
Did you even consider it might be tension that made them fail? U gave them 90secs.
Did it not occur to use another question to judge.
I am sorry to say,u re very wicked.
Eleda awon omo yen a ja
Lest u forget, u ll some day have kids n dr destiny ll also be at another person's mercy.
Do you have conscience at all?
abi oooo eleda awon omo yen a ja cry feel sad for them
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Nobody: 8:19pm On Feb 03, 2016
the idiotiic op, is it that useless arithmetic they will be using to carry out their jobs each day? op jst so u knw, u wont work in that company forever, u myt still av to do an interview somewhere and someone on the panel myt jst screw ur hopes over just the same way u did with dose kids.

1 Like

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Nobody: 8:20pm On Feb 03, 2016
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Boeing777pilot: 8:20pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
davide470 about six years ago when I got to this stage, I was confirmed by an Indian. We were 18 only 3 were picked. To be candid if I asked them the questions that Indian man asked me six years ago I am very sure none will scale through. Your degree (1.1, 2.1) shows you are capable of learning, But it doesn't show your speed or rate of learning. We deal with very complex financial theories. Moreover first class is as common as clay around here. Trainees are very expensive to maintain. So when they under perform...your decision making skill will be questioned...Arithmetic (Numerical skill) determines alot. Sometimes you get incomplete data from a client and you are supposed to advise them based on the data. They are paying you millions for that, do you tell them incomplete data? You reason out the rest from God knows where....so I was fair enough...

People who are against what you did are exactly the type of people who will most likely never become management staff due to their infantile decision making processes. In my line of job, there is zero room for error at any stage. I salute your courage to do the right thing.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Ishilove: 8:20pm On Feb 03, 2016
davide470:
Marxxx,

So you refused to confirm all the trainees because of a simple arithmetic

How does your arithmetic determine anything? or did they buy the 1.1 and 2.1 they graduated with!

You better go back and re-confirm them angry angry
I swear. The op is wicked. That is how his hope will be dashed at the last minute. It isn't a curse, it's simply the physics of karma

4 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Mrlekan07034617: 8:21pm On Feb 03, 2016
bezimo:

This is so easy.If your narration is true, then this is shocking that only 1 out of 5 graduates got it right.This is elementary school algebra that high school students should play with and deliver in less than 30 seconds.

€=4

Please tell them, imagine how everyone is bashing the Op. How on earth will a graduate bury his calculative reasoning?
Mathematics helps your reasoning even if its not your field you just have to learn the least.

If you study Engineering in school, its not an excuse for you to know the Nigerian constitution and Law generally, why? Because it makes u know your right!!!

It doesn't also stop you from reading medical journals and various kinds of books.

God help our generation because we need to be VARSATILE

4 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by DesChyko: 8:22pm On Feb 03, 2016
€ is 4. You don't even need much calculation. €/€ is 1. €/6 + €/12 = 1 ; Multiply through by 12.
2€ + € = 12. You can take it from there.

1 Like

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by flyca: 8:22pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx...
I am a very intelligent person - my results speak so and I work in a top-notch company in Lagos. I don't have problems with anything mathematics, in fact, I enjoy them. However, put me under "time" pressure and I loose it. cry

You have altered the course of lives on many great people today. I pray heaven forgives you!

9 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by petiteee(f): 8:23pm On Feb 03, 2016
Jesu! shocked so na dis Op b dat guy wey local bfore him enter lag an come brush up? I see..... ve u finally left ur gf? Or u finally suceeded in tushing her up undecided I bet ur accent has improved too
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by stonecoldcafe: 8:24pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:

I think you're nasty! Pure nasty. Was that what you went through before you were confirmed?

5 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Nobody: 8:26pm On Feb 03, 2016
Now dem ask u questn, u no fit answer....smh

Marxxx:
lol........did just say complex numbers? Look these trainees will be exposed to complex financial and numerical calculations......you are funny....complex numbers...lol

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Analysiscorner: 8:27pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
People are lashing at you because of your testimony.
My question for you is : would something have gone terribly wrong if you had delayed the comfirmation till you are ready?

4 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Aremu01(m): 8:32pm On Feb 03, 2016
Ishilove:

I swear. The op is wicked. That is how his hope will be dashed at the last minute. It isn't a curse, it's simply the physics of karma
Amen to that
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by mfm04622: 8:34pm On Feb 03, 2016
ladyF:
€ is 4.

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

Correct but did you do it in 90 seconds?
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by dagr8(m): 8:35pm On Feb 03, 2016
Ishilove:

Why do I have a feeling you're a guy?

Your profile picture is very disturbing
shocked
I thought you were given life ban on NL?
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Ishilove: 8:35pm On Feb 03, 2016
dagr8:

shocked
I thought you were given life ban on NL?
And why would I be given a life ban?
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Marxxx: 8:36pm On Feb 03, 2016
davide470:
You were fair enough to chose just 1? Baba, fear God na.

Aside just arithmetic for your based decision, other questions should have arose not negating the fact that tension, distraction from seeing a "fellow young colleague" deciding their fate would come to play.

Also, for them to get to that stage, then they were very GOOD! and they were tested on all your firm's core values and corporate what-not at previous stages.

Anyhow sha, what was the outcome of your choice?
I understand Davide470 but you see I Learned to trust my judgement. I also do a re-test no matter how perfect the person who prepared a record seems. I don't care about core values or leadership or composure. Just solve the simple problem that is all. When I had my confirmation my accent was so bad, coming from the village...but the Smart Indian dude was only concerned about my problem solving skills. The drilling was lipsrsealed...You see, If you have a smart trainee, you can rest and be sure of having someone you pass a task too and he/she will do it perfectly....i don't judge people based on past record I judge based on what you capable of doing right in front of me!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by E383: 8:36pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
Mind your language your man!

If you were judged based on what you didn't know at every point you sought to have a job will you be in a position to make someone who had worked hard, bagged a good degree, excellent performance at the initial stage of the recruitment, finally get HR recommendation only to be asked to solve a silly mathematical problem which has no bearing whatsoever on performance look stupid because you were confused and didn't know how to do a simple delegated task.

You need to call HR and apologize for doing something as silly as that.

I owe you no apology.
2rez:
Idi.ot how U sure u oh k? For doing his work makes him an idi.ot? I bet u dont know the meaning of idi.ot. Smh!

As for you cretin, you better don't quote me ever again in this your miserable life.

6 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Nobody: 8:37pm On Feb 03, 2016
Now that you are forming versatility, answer this question. What will you use to measure the wrinkles on a flexible packaging material with dimension 560 x 420mm. Denier 600.? I'll be generous. You have 3 days to answer. Smh. Those guys went through many assessments for just one question, no matter how simple to cut 'em off. If na 1 vacancy dey, then fine. The op had to weed some off. But here, they needed more than 1 trainee. So 1-arithmetic question is so damn wrong! Btw, answer my question o, Mr. Versatility.

Mrlekan07034617:

Please tell them, imagine how everyone is bashing the Op. How on earth will a graduate bury his calculative reasoning?
Mathematics helps your reasoning even if its not your field you just have to learn the least.

If you study Engineering in school, its not an excuse for you to know the Nigerian constitution and Law generally, why? Because it makes u know your right!!!

It doesn't also stop you from reading medical journals and various kinds of books.

God help our generation because we need to be VARSATILE

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by bobkezel(m): 8:37pm On Feb 03, 2016
Op you are simply jealous and insecure. That is not true test of their potential. You lack insight. I once worked for a company where I failed most of their aptitude test, but then, the hr decided to engage us in a discussion outside what we all studied. As the discussion was going on, he shouted "I like this guy" while pointing at me. The day I tendered my resignation at that company, it was as if someone died. So Mr, op I forgive you for this memes cos u said u were confused which means u were incompetent as well. U really need to upgrade.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Twitter Refuses To Pay African Employees, Replies With Poop Emoji / I Quit My Lagos Hotel Manager Job, Relocated To Abuja For Green Pasture -Emenalo / Christie Amara Opara: Navy Promotes First Female Nurse In Nigeria As General

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.