Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

This Is Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Is Lagos (1368 Views)

Jimi Agbaje Is Lagos PDP Governorship Candidate / What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? / Is Lagos State A Muslim State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is Lagos by Ijawman(m): 4:15pm On Jul 01, 2009
Lagos? Fashola? praise singing? damning counter evidence. billions gone where?

Re: This Is Lagos by moneygurl: 4:22pm On Jul 01, 2009
Yes it is Lagos state, Apapa-Oshodi Road. Controlled by the Federal Government, who refuses to fix the road or hand it over to the State Government.

The state government must also fix drainages around the state and Lagos state is below sea level, flooding when rain is very  heavy will always happen even in developed countries that are below sea level flooding does happen but the difference is they have good drainage system so when the sea level subsides the flood water is able to move fast compare to Lagos the water can be there for a whole day.  But here in Nigeria the government does not clear drainage, citizens build homes blocking drainage path, some turn it to their dumpsite

The flooding is also bad in V.I and Badagry (even though the government just awarded a contract to Julius berger to build the ten lane road). What the state governemnt (Fashola) obviously should have done is to open up the canals and make sure it is properly maintained and arrest and charge does dumping trash in the canal before building roads in that area.
Re: This Is Lagos by Poj1(m): 7:17pm On Jul 01, 2009
cry cry cry cry
Re: This Is Lagos by naijaking1: 7:25pm On Jul 01, 2009
moneygurl:

Yes it is Lagos state, Apapa-Oshodi Road. Controlled by the Federal Government, who refuses to fix the road or hand it over to the State Government.

Refusing to repair federal roads, and refusing to hand them over to states and local governments is both criminal and an abuse of the federal power
Re: This Is Lagos by ikeyman00(m): 7:45pm On Jul 01, 2009
na lie

which way fashola?
Re: This Is Lagos by RichyBlacK(m): 7:45pm On Jul 01, 2009
naijaking1:

Refusing to repair federal roads, and refusing to hand them over to states and local governments is both criminal and an abuse of the federal power

I'm yet to see any evidence to disprove my claim that Nigeria has the worst government in the universe.

Fashola should run for the presidency someday. He has a vision.
Re: This Is Lagos by noetic2: 10:54pm On Jul 01, 2009
RichyBlacK:

I'm yet to see any evidence to disprove my claim that Nigeria has the worst government in the universe.

Fashola should run for the presidency someday. He has a vision.

how do u know he has a vision for the whole country?

running a nation is a different ball game compared to running a state.
Re: This Is Lagos by mafioso(m): 11:20pm On Jul 01, 2009
Can't a State government repair a Federal Road?? who collects Revenue on that road? Federal Government i guess grin grin grin
Re: This Is Lagos by moneygurl: 2:22am On Jul 02, 2009
Bad roads: ‘Be careful’, Minister warns media

[b]THE Federal Government, through its Works Minister, Alhaji Hassan Adamu Lawal, yesterday reacted to the deplorable state of federal roads in the country, in particular the Apapa-Oshodi expressway in Lagos, saying “we have to be careful.”

It was not clear who should be careful — the government, Nigerians who suffer daily, or the media who report the suffering of Nigerians — as the minister refused to talk to State House correspondents on the matter beyond a terse sentence: “I have discussed the matter with my boss (President), we have to be careful”.

Lawal who was sighted with a file containing yesterday’s edition of Vanguard newspaper before the weekly meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) began, refused to talk to State House Correspondents when approached on the grounds that he had no time; but requested that the reporters should see him later.

This he did twice until the FEC meeting ended. And when he eventually emerged from the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa, venue of the FEC meeting , the minister who was not apparently ready to field questions from journalists said “I have discussed with my boss, we have to be careful”, a statement that did not make any meaning to reporters.

Asked to explain what he meant by “we have to be careful”, the minister failed to utter a word, as he walked out on the reporters.

Vanguard’s investigations however revealed that President Yar’Adua, following the various media reports on the poor state of federal roads in Lagos State, had repeatedly drawn the attention of the minister to the issue, asking that he comes up with a workable solution towards addressing the issue as it has become a major source of negative publicity to the government.

It was gathered that  the Hassan Lawal, who has served as minister for five years, including three years under former President Olusegun Obasanjo, as Labour minister, and two years in the present government, could not come up with any solution.[/b]

Vanguard had reported that the Oshodi-Apapa expressway, owned by the Federal Government, has for many years been neglected resulting in its present state of decay.

Vanguard in the report said “one of the city’s main arteries, the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway which connects the Murtala Muhammed International Airport with two of the nation’s busiest seaports — Apapa Quays and Tin Can Island Port has failed at several locations.

“The worst points are on Tin Can Island itself, at Ibafon (Coconut Bus-stop to Sunrise), at Berger, and at the turn-off to Lagos-Badagry Expressway at Mile II, where motorists paddle their vehicles through flood.

“Other failed sections are at Rainbow Bus Stop, stretching forth towards Sanya for several hundred metres. This spot has particularly worsened the agonies of motorists in the last few days, with traffic backing up for many kilometres and throughout the day.

“It is also the scene of ghastly crashes as unsuspecting motorists speed into the craters at night. The other major failed section is at Itire (Berliet Bus Stop).”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/07/02/bad-roads-%e2%80%98be-careful%e2%80%99-minister-warns-media/

No wonder the road is in such a bad shape, useless minister. They dont want to hand over the road to the state because of the revenue they are getting, e.g bill boards, etc.
Re: This Is Lagos by sosisi(f): 2:28am On Jul 02, 2009
A minister of works says people should be careful about his bad roads
These people have no shame
Re: This Is Lagos by tpia5: 3:40am On Jul 02, 2009
This is lagos, located by the sea, on the coastline of Africa, in a tropical country noted for perennial and heavy rainfall.

A low lying coastal area?

http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar4/wg2/ar4-wg2-chapter6.pdf

Most of Lagos is barely two meters above sea level btw.

but that Oshodi(?) road with the giant potholes should be patched sha.
Re: This Is Lagos by tpia5: 3:57am On Jul 02, 2009
Sea surges could uproot millions in Nigeria megacity

LAGOS (Reuters) - Millions of people in Nigeria could be displaced by rising sea levels in the next half century, as ocean surges swamp some of Africa's most expensive real estate and its poorest slums, scientists say.

Africa's most populous nation, stretching from the southern fringe of the Sahara to the Gulf of Guinea, could come under triple attack from climate change as the desert encroaches on its northern pastures, rainfall erodes farmland in its eastern Niger Delta, and the Atlantic Ocean floods its southern coast.

"Lagos is a megacity with 15 million people, half of them at two meters (6 ft) above sea level, and that puts them at risk as hardly any other big city in the world,"

Scientists predict heavier rains and higher sea levels could wipe out much of Bayelsa, one of three main states in the Niger Delta, a vast network of mangrove creeks home to isolated villages and to Africa's biggest oil and gas industry.

Nigeria's oil industry increasingly is moving offshore and onshore installations in the delta's shallow swampland can be raised to protect them, meaning the impact on the sector would be limited. But villagers will be defenseless.

"We may lose quite a good percentage of Lagos ,  and probably the whole of Bayelsa," said Emmanuel Obot, executive director of the Nigerian Conservation Foundation.

"If that happens, the refugee problem will be so massive that I don't think Nigeria is ready," he said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSTRE4AI74G20081119?feedType=RSS&feedName=environmentNews&pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0
Re: This Is Lagos by Abagworo(m): 7:39am On Jul 02, 2009
I keep hearing fashola this,fashola that but i've been to lagos thrice this year and what really impress me is mm2.
Re: This Is Lagos by Marymos: 9:05am On Jul 02, 2009
Lets learn to appreciate people for any good effort they demonstrate.Governor Fashola is not a magician.He has started somewhere and with our support,coperation and prayers,he will be able to deliver beyond expectation.What the former Governor could not do in 8 years,Fashola did beyond it within less than two years.
Re: This Is Lagos by desgiezd(m): 9:38am On Jul 02, 2009
mafioso:

Can't a State government repair a Federal Road?

Presently, LASG is fixing the service lanes from Mile 12 to Jibowu and this is a federal road, the shameless FG would not fix their roads and as mentioned earlier by Moneygurl they also would not hand them over to State Governments. I guess the FG is even confused having saddled itself with too many responsibilities and its not excelling in any of them.
Re: This Is Lagos by Jakumo(m): 9:48am On Jul 02, 2009
Flash floods can occur anywhere in the world, and will overwhelm even the most elaborate drainage system, as the experience of New Orleans illustrates all too well.

Like New Orleans, many climatologists would agree that the landed area comprising Lagos City is more at the mercy of mother nature now than ever before, given the inexorable rising sea levels caused by global warming and the melting ice-caps.
Re: This Is Lagos by fyneguy: 10:01am On Jul 02, 2009
This is one of the problems we have in Nigeria. What does the FG benefit from designating some roads as FG roads? purely ego! While one might excuse the FG on interstate highways, they have no business designating any road in a state as theirs.

Let them return all roads to the states, for goodness sake! For how long shall we continue to have anti-development policies?
Re: This Is Lagos by desgiezd(m): 10:10am On Jul 02, 2009
fyneguy:

This is one of the problems we have in Nigeria.  What does the FG benefit from designating some roads as FG roads? purely ego!

Dont mind those lazy people in Abuja, ego that is not supported with money and performance. Nonsense!!
Re: This Is Lagos by KnowAll(m): 10:17am On Jul 02, 2009
I thought lagos state government is trying to expand the lagos to badagry expressway into 10 lanes, the portion shown in that picture is the section that turns off towards Tin –Can Island, If it is true Fashola wants to expand the road surely one would expect that this section of the road would also be fixed, or is it a case of propaganda by Fashola’s lackeys. The fact is the only thing Fashola has done till date is paying Tinubu’s firm N16 billion consultancy fee. So many exciting and mouth watering projects are still in the drawing board, I am beginning to doubt whether they will ever see the light of day.
Re: This Is Lagos by dlox01(m): 10:18am On Jul 02, 2009
There is a confused FG and a focused State government, its hard to reconsile the two.FG should hand over everything to state and face vision 20-20-20 else where.
Re: This Is Lagos by desgiezd(m): 10:36am On Jul 02, 2009
KnowAll:

The fact is the only thing Fashola has done till date is paying Tinubu’s firm N16 billion consultancy fee. So many exciting and mouth watering projects are still in the drawing board, I am beginning to doubt whether they will ever see the light of day.

A move around Lagos will definitely change your perspective.
Re: This Is Lagos by moneygurl: 1:46pm On Jul 02, 2009
KnowAll:

[b]I thought lagos state government is trying to expand the lagos to badagry expressway into 10 lanes, the portion shown in that picture is the section that turns off towards Tin –Can Island, If it is true Fashola wants to expand the road surely one would expect that this section of the road would also be fixed, or is it a case of propaganda by Fashola’s lackeys. [/b]The fact is the only thing Fashola has done till date is paying Tinubu’s firm N16 billion consultancy fee. So many exciting and mouth watering projects are still in the drawing board, I am beginning to doubt whether they will ever see the light of day.

The contract has already been awarded to Julius Berger and they have been paid mobilization fee of N10 billion last month and the company has already said it would start work in August and September, for the first phase from Mile 12-Ebutte Metta. And typical Nigeria as you would expect some people who live along the Badagry area, whose house have to go and are not receiving compensation (those that are receiving compensation is because they have legal documents, have started to move) because they do not have Certificate of Ownership or Building permit have taken the government to court to stop the project. And the Lagos state is arguing they cannot be compensated because they never bought the land from anybody, they just saw "free" land and started building. But the lagos state land record shows the land was never sold, it should be empty and it belongs to the state.

I know this issue has been discussed here about government compensating those that build there house illegally on Government right of way, I personally disagree.
Re: This Is Lagos by Fhemmmy: 2:53pm On Jul 02, 2009
There is a need to create some kinda service where people can call for a road to be repaired and have it done quick too.
make sure there is a quality assurance dept that will check and make sure the roads are up to standard and well done.
Imagine someone drive on roads like this after rain without knowing that the roads were bad, imagine all the damages that cld be done to someone's vehicle and yet no one to help u fix ur ride, or even the kinda injury one could sustain from accident on such roads.
Re: This Is Lagos by naijaking1: 4:24pm On Jul 02, 2009
dlox01:

There is a confused FG and a focused State government, its hard to reconsile the two.FG should hand over everything to state and face vision 20-20-20 else where.

Federal government ownership of roads date back to history, after the civil war, it became an instrument of marginalization of the Igbos. I remember Jim Nwobodo fighting the Shagari governemnt about some roads those days. The policy was designed to bloat the federal bureaucracy, increase opportunities for people at the center to award huge contracts, and get the subsequent kick-backs. This policy meant to arrest the "uncontrolled development of Igbos" has now extended and affected Lagos. You think the minister didn't know why he warning people

(1) (Reply)

Cnn Broadcasting Obama From Ghana Live! / Yar’adua Orders : No Passport! No Renewal Of Passport! For Ribadu, El Rufai. / South Africans Must Deposit $1k Before Getting Nigeria Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.