Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,715 members, 7,820,496 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

Elderless Elder Ruling The Society - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Elderless Elder Ruling The Society (466 Views)

Ecowas Court Strikes Out FG Request On Nnamdi Kanu's Case, Adjourns The Ruling / Glad The General Is Ruling The Land In Nigeria / Rivers Tribunal Ruling; The Underground Forces Exposed!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Elderless Elder Ruling The Society by Arijosh(m): 7:01pm On Feb 05, 2016
In the early hours of today, I rushed to the bank hoping to make some transactions, having known how crowded the place will become in the afternoon.
I filled up my teller as requested and took my place on the queue. Owing to the fact that the place was a bit compacted and being the uber-cool individual I was, I decided to create a bit of space between me and the fellow before me so that people could easily walk through (I dey try form gentle man).
I was waiting patiently for my turn when out of nowhere a guy came and took the space before me. I became befuddled and asked him gently if he was there initially, he told me that he was and the fellow before me said he was lying.
I was nettled by this and was reprimanding him when an elderly woman (in her late 40s I think) did the same in front. The moment I saw this, I held my peace and didn’t utter another word.
A Yoruba adage says: An elder wouldn’t be in the market and a kid’s head would be bent. (Pardon my translation). This led me to ask what the society expect from the youths when those who we are supposed to look up to and emulate are the ones misbehaving and committing various forms of atrocities?
This has gotten to a point where political leaders who are supposed to rule and direct us are being charged to courts over various cases of fraud. (Some of them wey don die finish wey be say na extra time dem dey use on earth dey steal too. I sha no mention names). Little wonder why we have so many young boys who are criminals nowadays.
The elders in the society are supposed to teach us, they are supposed to direct us, they are supposed to be the light of the society, they are supposed to lead while we follow. But what are we to do when they themselves are lost and can’t tell the difference between right and left, when good and bad means nothing to them anymore, when they themselves are the scourge of the society?
Am not trying to be scurrilous or anything, I am only advocating for a better society where the elders do that which is expected of them and where they know the onus falls on them to do the right thing.
Written by Bakare Lanre
Seun and lalastica....Do the needful

(1) (Reply)

Obasanjo And His PDP Children / FG Signs Mou With NASCO Foods On National School Feeding Programme / Nigerians React To NLC Protest Against Electricity Tariff Hike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.