Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,120 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

My Laptop Is Awfully Slow. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / My Laptop Is Awfully Slow. (1178 Views)

Tips On How To Speed Up A Slow Computer. / Can I Use My Mtn Bis To Browse On My Laptop? Is It Possible Folks? / How To Use The Sim Card Slot On My Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Laptop Is Awfully Slow. by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jul 02, 2009
Although I have plenty eBooks and some programs installed in my laptop, yet it is very slow. It takes so long to boot, so long to open any document, not to talk of browse. What can i do to make my laptop as fast as it used to be?
Re: My Laptop Is Awfully Slow. by donabuah: 7:48pm On Jul 02, 2009
guy there are two likely things wrong with your system but it depends on how u tackle it.You could be invaded by a virus in which u need to scan your system with a recently updated antivirus or you try system defragmentation.
thank you , donaldnspace@yahoo.com
Re: My Laptop Is Awfully Slow. by UNLEASHED(m): 9:17am On Jul 03, 2009
@Poster
It's either your computer is infected with a kind of worm/virus, try system defragmentation, also check your ram size
Re: My Laptop Is Awfully Slow. by Nobody: 9:22am On Jul 03, 2009
Thanks , but how do i do system fragmentation?
Re: My Laptop Is Awfully Slow. by ootdayo: 10:04am On Jul 03, 2009
if you are using vista.

i will advise you to get advanced vista optimizer.

you can also do this on vista

if not go to start- run then type msconfig.then press enter. go to the startup tab, uncheck everything there except for your antivirus. then click apply and ok
it will prompt you to reboot do that.

to defragment go to my computer, right click on c drive and then pick properties.
go to the tools bar then click on defragment and then ok

that will do it

hope it helps
Re: My Laptop Is Awfully Slow. by clarkhary: 11:26am On Jul 09, 2009
well, if u are using vista i advice you to create a back up for all your necessary files, then format the vista to windows Xp, hope that will help
Re: My Laptop Is Awfully Slow. by akannitao(m): 1:23pm On Jul 09, 2009
Please do not format your system using win xp or you might have yourself to blame trying to get drivers for some devices. win xp most likely won't have al the drivers your lappy needs. anyway a lot of things can make your lappy slow. Frst i will need to know when this started, what you were doing when it started and if you got the laptop brandnew. I will also need to know if you still have the recovery partition or CD for your lappy? all these will be eeded for you to get genuine help. be careful what advices you take so you dont take steps that you will regret later.
Re: My Laptop Is Awfully Slow. by clarkhary: 3:46pm On Jul 09, 2009
i have all the drivers for laptops, just format it, but the drivres will cost you not much just a little fee. if u are ready email me @humpherysigel@yahoo.com or call 07061599061
Re: My Laptop Is Awfully Slow. by Nobody: 7:38am On Jul 12, 2009
loads of thing that can slow up ur computer,

the best bet is you get urself uniblue's speedupmupc, it will help you remove unnecesary files
and if it is virus, then u need an uptodate antivirus.
Re: My Laptop Is Awfully Slow. by texazzpete(m): 11:54am On Jul 13, 2009
clark hary:

well, if u are using vista i advice you to create a back up for all your necessary files, then format the vista to windows Xp, hope that will help

Do not listen to this guy above.
Never format your genuine (legit) OS to install a N200 pirated version. it doesn't make sense. Try any of the other tips the other posters have given you.
Re: My Laptop Is Awfully Slow. by boycutt: 5:53pm On Jul 13, 2009
ok,computer geek has arrived.
first, what OS are you operating?
2nd, has it been like this?
do you have antivirus? if yes what AV is it?
what is your laptop capacity? are u giving it too much? how many MB is your RAM.
when you start your laptop,how many start up programs comes up?
answer all this so i know where to start from, cool
Re: My Laptop Is Awfully Slow. by nobleone: 9:07am On Jul 14, 2009
The only reasonable answer I have seen is that by botcut. I am laptop engineer myself and I am used to such problems. Is d problem just starting or has it been like that from inception? what OS are u using cos all Os have their specified recommendations, what is d size of ur RAM. If you can answer at least these three questions for a start then I will know exactly what is wrong with ur laptop.
Re: My Laptop Is Awfully Slow. by clarkhary: 11:36am On Jul 14, 2009
my friend if you listen to any body telling u that you should get on thing or the other you are going to regeret it later, i worked in a computer romm almost every 13 hours before closing for the day, and out of the 20 systems we are using, 5 of the are vista, and we encounter the problem yours is having now few weeks ago, and what we did is to format it to XP, come and take a look at it now, is working even more than the rest 15. why not try it, i told you i will give you all the drivers you need in case all of them disappear just for a little fee
Re: My Laptop Is Awfully Slow. by msb247(m): 11:53pm On Jul 16, 2009
-Invest in a reputable security software and keep it up to date.
-Check for and disable unnecessary startups.
-Clean unwanted and unnecessary junk files.
-Upgrade RAM if possible.
Re: My Laptop Is Awfully Slow. by cool0: 7:34am On Jan 28, 2015
pc gets slow

In both cases, it's related to one of three reasons.

The first (which kind of ecompasses the others), is that you have a lot of programs running in the background, which sometimes happens if you install a lot of third-party programs.

The second is if you have viruses or spyware, which can occur when you install third party programs. One of the things they do is run in the background and waste RAM and processing speed.

The third is related to your Windows Registry if you are a Windows user (reference: Welcome to The Registry Library) or your Preferences Folder if you're a Mac user (reference: Preferences folder). Viruses and spyware can add, change and destroy files in these places. Installing and uninstalling programs (even perfectly safe ones!) can damage existing files or leave useless entries (called orphans), all of which can waste your operating speed.
I can advise you to download this software, http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ Good Registry Cleaner which can extremely help to improve your computer and Internet performance dramatically! Do all these and Perform speed here http://www.scanmyspeed.com/ once it will sounds better ..

Hope it helps.

(1) (Reply)

Computer Frequently Asked Problems / Edge Modem Speed @ 460kbps Or More / Here Is The Best Software To Recover Your Lost Files And Folders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.