Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,744 members, 7,824,144 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

What Has Religion Done For Africa. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Has Religion Done For Africa. (4138 Views)

Poverty In Nigeria Is Caused By Religion / What Exactly Has Religion Done For Humanity / Has Religion Caused More Harm Than Good (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by RSA(m): 10:31pm On Feb 08, 2016
hockeyoilers:

I have to agree with you. Canada where I live was founded on Christian racism. The natives didn't cede the land to us willingly. After failures to " convert the savages " threats of convert to Christianity or die , we ie. French & British simply killed them wholesale.

My people can be extremely racist. After we enslaved and colonized Africans and African lands , it was time for the Church to colonized African minds. Often we used tribalism to divide and conquer.

Pretty sad to judge a man based on skin pigmentation.
White people are devils; they've killed more innocent people than any race in the planet; they are thieves; liers; rapist.A good Whiteman is a dead one.
Like i said all this religions are not for us including islam; this are religion that teach slavery; they are not meant for us Afrikans and as long as WE bow to the onyibo God we will forever be slaves; if not physically; then mentally and spiritually.

Ps..I know u white and Muslim..just mentioning it

1 Like

Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by OmoOsanyin: 10:58pm On Feb 08, 2016
Muafrika2:

Update me.

If I may contribute ideas:

Since its African, and it's for a wide African audience, it won't be fair to take a tribe specific god because they were different according to tribe. But all tribes in Africa had one thing in common, a supreme God that was also the one who created the earth.

And please, no crying, yelling and drama.

Can we limit offerings to only one? Just a free will offering.

No gossip in church/the chosen way of gathering.

For the doctrine :
- submit to elders,
- welcome strangers,
- love your neighbour,
- love God
- never forget history, lest it repeats itself, and on that point, forgive, but remember the name.

Thanks for contributing. But, NO CHURCH! Absolutely NOT!
if ok with that you will be updated.
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by CoolUsername: 11:47pm On Feb 08, 2016
RSA:

Only Whiteman can be racist; black man can never be a racist.Although our race is the mother and father of all races we have never in our history considered ourselves a superior race.
Prejudicm +Power = racism
Wake up blackman stop being an apologist of your tormentors.
Nothing as painful like a blackman with Stockholm Syndrome.

Kek. I wasn't during the slave trade or colonial times, so you can't really call this Stockholm Syndrome.

By saying that only whites can be racist, then I can see that you may have lost perspective at some point.

I'm going to say this straight: you are being incredibly racist right now. You can't blame the present white generation for what their ancestors did to your ancestors.
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by Nobody: 11:54pm On Feb 08, 2016
CoolUsername:

Kek. I wasn't during the slave trade or colonial times, so you can't really call this Stockholm Syndrome.

By saying that only whites can be racist, then I can see that you may have lost perspective at some point.

I'm going to say this straight: you are being incredibly racist right now. You can't blame the present white generation for what their ancestors did to your ancestors.

For well over 500 years we pillaged Africa, still pillaging and exploiting economically to this day. You cannot expect people to just forget about it a few generations later.
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by Nobody: 12:04am On Feb 09, 2016
OmoOsanyin:

Thanks for contributing. But, NO CHURCH! Absolutely NOT!
if ok with that you will be updated.

No church. Not bad. I guess it could be a religious system that depends on personal conviction.
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by OmoOsanyin: 12:11am On Feb 09, 2016
Muafrika2:

No church. Not bad. I guess it could be a religious system that depends on personal conviction.

aren't they all? church itself is based on 'personal convinction'.
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by Nobody: 12:52am On Feb 09, 2016
CoolUsername:

....I'm going to say this straight: you are being incredibly racist right now. You can't blame the present white generation for what their ancestors did to your ancestors.

Coolusername
I do not agree with the blame put on religion and in total disregard of the economic, social and political systems that are in play. But you are wrong....

The colonialism of Africa did not end in Africa in 1958 or whenever individual countries in Africa celebrate their "self rule." What happened then was the birth of a new form of colonialism. The indirect rule of Africa by the same powers.

We may have black faces on the faces of the system (the president, politicians, CEOs of multinationals - when they let us,) But they are there as a cover up. Most of the economic decisions of African countries are made by the World bank. Who owns the world Bank? You know the piper will play to the music of whoever pays him.

Now, the beneficiaries of the current pillaging of Africa are (this may sound racist) white people. You see that petroleum being mined in Nigeria, it will, while still on the African soil, be sold to a subsidiary of the parent company that mined it at a negligible price. This is the only price on which the Nigerian/ or other African government will charge a tax. Remember its still unrefined petrol.

Now that subsidiary of the mother company has a "headquarters" in tax free Switzerland. In Switzerland, there is a World Commodity Market. That is where all the minerals of Africa are "traded". But as I have demonstrated, Africa was cut off from the trade in its own commodity by that first, below market price transaction. It's in Switzerland where real money is made. In the commodity markets. It's why it's the richest country in terms of per capita income. Allegedly, also the happiest.

Most of the trade in Switzerland is still between subsidiaries. But the profits are huge. The commodity marked is a huge, lucrative employer of the (white) Swedish people.

From Switzerland, the African resourced minerals ( also gold, copper, iron, nickel, etc) are resold to mainly European and US markets. They benefit their respective countries (white) populations in several ways, among them:

1. Bought as raw products, they get to be refined and converted into usable goods in US and Europe, and in the process, create factories, refineries and dealers in processed goods in Europe and US who are the (white) citizens of those countries and direct beneficiaries of the pillaging of Africa.

2. The (white)citizens of those countries resell to us those finished goods made out of our pillaged resources at an incomparably higher price than the prices they got it from us, in the process, recovering the little money they had left as taxes.

That is why Nigeria imports refined oil. Othe countries like Zambia which produces copper imports copper products, and so on. That is why Africa's minerals are considered a curse. They are only of benefit to those (whites) who pillage them.

I submit to you, there is no innocent white man as far as the pillaging, usury and raping of Africa, as the op put it, is concerned.
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by Nobody: 12:55am On Feb 09, 2016
OmoOsanyin:

aren't they all? church itself is based on 'personal convinction'.

It's going to be challenging to propagate the new religion without any form of meeting. It will have mutated into a strange form by the time it gets to Cape Town.
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by OmoOsanyin: 1:01am On Feb 09, 2016
Muafrika2:

It's going to be challenging to propagate the new religion without any form of meeting. It will have mutated into a strange form by the time it gets to Cape Town.

challenge is the game of living. Cape town or north pole
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by Nobody: 1:01am On Feb 09, 2016
In usa The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People,
(NAACP), was founded in 1909 by a group of Marxists,
and millionaire Jews-but no Africans! One of the most prominent was W.E.B. Dubois who would later become a leader of the Communist Party. The first NAACP president was not African but the wealthy Jew, Joel Spingarn. He ran the organization until he retired in 1939. Then his brother, Arthur Spingarn, became the
head of the NAACP. Later, Kivie Kaplan, a Jewish millionaire shoe manufacturer from Boston was NAACP president until 1966. Then, for the first time in 57 years, they allowed an African , Roy Wilkins, to take over.
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by Nobody: 1:12am On Feb 09, 2016
OmoOsanyin:

challenge is the game of living. Cape town or north pole

True. But men have a way of interpreting ideas to their benefit.

It reminds me of a religion called Legio Maria. As the name suggest, it's an offshoot of the Catholic Church. It Was Started By some tribal Africans in the colonial times who wanted to keep the traditional aspects of their religion inside the new. So they broke off. It's hardly recognizable now as a former Catholic offshoot.
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by Nobody: 1:17am On Feb 09, 2016
hockeyoilers:
In usa The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People,
(NAACP), was founded in 1909 by a group of Marxists,
and millionaire Jews-but no Africans! One of the most prominent was W.E.B. Dubois who would later become a leader of the Communist Party. The first NAACP president was not African but the wealthy Jew, Joel Spingarn. He ran the organization until he retired in 1939. Then his brother, Arthur Spingarn, became the
head of the NAACP. Later, Kivie Kaplan, a Jewish millionaire shoe manufacturer from Boston was NAACP president until 1966. Then, for the first time in 57 years, they allowed an African , Roy Wilkins, to take over.
I read about a white woman pretending to be black having led the organization up until last year. It's no wonder. It was never really created for the benefit African Americans. Probably just a front to keep them quiet by pretending to watch out for them.
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by JackBizzle: 2:44am On Feb 09, 2016
lepasharon:

Told them to stop using condoms sad

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by OmoOsanyin: 8:39am On Feb 09, 2016
Muafrika2:

It reminds me of a religion called Legio Maria. As the name suggest, it's an offshoot of the Catholic Church. It Was Started By some tribal Africans in the colonial times who wanted to keep the traditional aspects of their religion inside the new. So they broke off. It's hardly recognizable now as a former Catholic offshoot.

W-H-A-T-E-V-E-R!!!
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by Nobody: 9:20am On Feb 09, 2016
OmoOsanyin:

W-H-A-T-E-V-E-R!!!

*Touchy*

1 Like

Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by italo: 9:32am On Feb 09, 2016
JackBizzle:
Italo?

Wetin your catholic church don do for Africa?

The Catholic Church has thousands of schools, hospitals and charities to educate and cater for the mentally, physically and materially poor/weak.

The first ever hospital in Nigeria (Sacred Heart Hospital, Abeokuta) was a Catholic Hospital.

The Church has been instrumental in eradicating or reducing unfair acts such as discrimination against people of other 'castes,' e.g Osu, human sacrifice etc.

The Church probably gave your father an education directly or indirectly.

What has your Atheism done for Africa?

2 Likes

Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by italo: 9:36am On Feb 09, 2016
Muafrika2:

Legio Mariae (Legion of Mary) is not what you're claiming it is.

It is not a religion. It was not started by Africans. It has never broken off.

Legio Mariae is still found in every single Catholic Church today.

If you're ignorant, shut up.
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by JackBizzle: 9:58am On Feb 09, 2016
italo:

The Catholic Church has thousands of schools, hospitals and charities to educate and cater for the mentally, physically and materially poor/weak.

The first ever hospital in Nigeria (Sacred Heart Hospital, Abeokuta) was a Catholic Hospital.

The Church has been instrumental in eradicating or reducing unfair acts such as discrimination against people of other 'castes,' e.g Osu, human sacrifice etc.

The Church probably gave your father an education directly or indirectly.

What has your Atheism done for Africa?

Spoken like a true slave.
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by italo: 10:06am On Feb 09, 2016
lepasharon:

Told them to stop using condoms sad

Told them to stop having sex outside marriage.

It's more effective in preventing HIV/STDs than using condoms.
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by JackBizzle: 10:07am On Feb 09, 2016
italo:

Told them to stop having sex outside marriage.

It's more effective in preventing HIV/STDs than using condoms.

Wrong. The catholic church is against condoms.
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by italo: 10:09am On Feb 09, 2016
JackBizzle:

Spoken like a true slave.

If slaves speak the truth and free men are liars and fools, then let me be a slave.

You can't stand up to my points so you attack my personality. The fallacy called ad hominem.

Meanwhile you can't mention a single thing your Atheism did for Africa.

1 Like

Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by italo: 10:13am On Feb 09, 2016
JackBizzle:

Wrong. The catholic church is against condoms.

Not wrong. The Catholic Church is against sex outside marriage and condoms.

Abstinence and fidelity to one's spouse is more effective in combating those diseases than using condoms
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by JackBizzle: 10:40am On Feb 09, 2016
italo:

If slaves speak the truth and free men are liars and fools, then let me be a slave.

You can't stand up to my points so you attack my personality. The fallacy called ad hominem.

Meanwhile you can't mention a single thing your Atheism did for Africa.

Abeg. No vex. I will reply your points this evening. I det mobile.
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by OmoOsanyin: 12:15pm On Feb 09, 2016
Muafrika2:

*Touchy*

Thanks.
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by OmoOsanyin: 12:23pm On Feb 09, 2016
CoolUsername:

does the fruit fall far from the tree?
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by Nobody: 1:45pm On Feb 09, 2016
italo:

Legio Mariae (Legion of Mary) is not what you're claiming it is.

It is not a religion. It was not started by Africans. It has never broken off.

Legio Mariae is still found in every single Catholic Church today.

If you're ignorant, shut up.

Am talking of a completely different religion from you Legio my friend. And I agree with your last statement.
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by Nobody: 5:15pm On Feb 09, 2016
We should never ever forget that the reason the Christian west got rich was because of the exploitation of Africa, African people's & African resources. When my ancestors raped Africa there were two goals plundering the land and colonization of African minds with Christianity.

I feel disgust @ what my people did.
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by JackBizzle: 5:21pm On Feb 09, 2016
hockeyoilers:
We should never ever forget that the reason the Christian west got rich was because of the exploitation of Africa, African people's & African resources. When my ancestors raped Africa there were two goals plundering the land and colonization of African minds with Christianity.

See this funky muslim. grin grin grin
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by lepasharon(f): 5:53pm On Feb 09, 2016
hockeyoilers:

Allah Akbar *boom*
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by CoolUsername: 7:40pm On Feb 09, 2016
Muafrika2:

Coolusername
I do not agree with the blame put on religion and in total disregard of the economic, social and political systems that are in play. But you are wrong....

The colonialism of Africa did not end in Africa in 1958 or whenever individual countries in Africa celebrate their "self rule." What happened then was the birth of a new form of colonialism. The indirect rule of Africa by the same powers.

We may have black faces on the faces of the system (the president, politicians, CEOs of multinationals - when they let us,) But they are there as a cover up. Most of the economic decisions of African countries are made by the World bank. Who owns the world Bank? You know the piper will play to the music of whoever pays him.

Now, the beneficiaries of the current pillaging of Africa are (this may sound racist) white people. You see that petroleum being mined in Nigeria, it will, while still on the African soil, be sold to a subsidiary of the parent company that mined it at a negligible price. This is the only price on which the Nigerian/ or other African government will charge a tax. Remember its still unrefined petrol.

Now that subsidiary of the mother company has a "headquarters" in tax free Switzerland. In Switzerland, there is a World Commodity Market. That is where all the minerals of Africa are "traded". But as I have demonstrated, Africa was cut off from the trade in its own commodity by that first, below market price transaction. It's in Switzerland where real money is made. In the commodity markets. It's why it's the richest country in terms of per capita income. Allegedly, also the happiest.

Most of the trade in Switzerland is still between subsidiaries. But the profits are huge. The commodity marked is a huge, lucrative employer of the (white) Swedish people.

From Switzerland, the African resourced minerals ( also gold, copper, iron, nickel, etc) are resold to mainly European and US markets. They benefit their respective countries (white) populations in several ways, among them:

1. Bought as raw products, they get to be refined and converted into usable goods in US and Europe, and in the process, create factories, refineries and dealers in processed goods in Europe and US who are the (white) citizens of those countries and direct beneficiaries of the pillaging of Africa.

2. The (white)citizens of those countries resell to us those finished goods made out of our pillaged resources at an incomparably higher price than the prices they got it from us, in the process, recovering the little money they had left as taxes.

That is why Nigeria imports refined oil. Othe countries like Zambia which produces copper imports copper products, and so on. That is why Africa's minerals are considered a curse. They are only of benefit to those (whites) who pillage them.

I submit to you, there is no innocent white man as far as the pillaging, usury and raping of Africa, as the op put it, is concerned.

When Singapore wanted to get it's act together, it did, and almost overnight too.

It's not any white man's fault that we can't refine our own resources, is it?

Nigeria, for example actually makes some good money in the international market. But most of it is lost too corruption.
Robert Mugabe, the tyrannical leader of Zimbabwe who has probably run the country to the ground still has a lot of suppoters in Africa because he can 'stand up to the whites'. That attitude is not going to improve Africa.

Africans are biggest problem to Africa. And as long as we keep this attitude of blaming everything on white people who have nothing to do with our current state, we won't improve.

1 Like

Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by Nobody: 7:49pm On Feb 09, 2016
CoolUsername:

When Singapore wanted to get it's act together, it did, and almost overnight too.

It's not any white man's fault that we can't refine our own resources, is it?

Nigeria, for example actually makes some good money in the international market. But most of it is lost too corruption.
Robert Mugabe, the tyrannical leader of Zimbabwe who has probably run the country to the ground still has a lot of suppoters in Africa because he can 'stand up to the whites'. That attitude is not going to improve Africa.

Africans are biggest problem to Africa. And as long as we keep this attitude of blaming everything on white people who have nothing to do with our current state, we won't improve.

What's next the Aboriginals in north america were asking for it when the Christian crusaders slaughtered them wholesale?
Re: What Has Religion Done For Africa. by CoolUsername: 7:53pm On Feb 09, 2016
hockeyoilers:

For well over 500 years we pillaged Africa, still pillaging and exploiting economically to this day. You cannot expect people to just forget about it a few generations later.

True. But I don't expect a Jew to pick weapons to kill Germans because of what Hitler did.

What has happened has happened, yes it was bad but you have to move on and stop blaming them for problems that you brought upon yourself.

There's no conspiracy against Africa, our leaders are just funneling in our funds. And from what I've observed, our leaders are nothing but a reflection of a majority of the people because we see the same thing happen at all levels: police, civil service workers, even the military.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fasting To Pray To God, Is It Advisable To Brush Ones Teeth In The Morning? / What Is The Differnce Between Christian & Muslim. / Hebrews 7:9, Should A Pastor, General Overseer Pay Tithe And To Who If So?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.