Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,147 members, 7,849,573 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 02:17 AM

Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram (1491 Views)

Ojogbane Adegbe: 'Nigeria Will Burn If I Open Up On Arms Deal' / Lai Mohammed Replies Goodluck Jonathan On Arms Deal Investigation / Goodluck Jonathan Finally Reacts To Arms Deal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by Marlboro1: 5:42am On Feb 08, 2016
The below publication is excerpts from the Interview Former President Goodluck Jonathan had with Swiss Journalists Union in Geneva, Switzerland, where he was honoured by International Diplomats Association, Cercle Diplomatique.. Happy Sunday from Team BREAKINGTIMES

Have you made contacts with other leaders on GEJ Foundation and how much support do you have?
You wanted to know if I am in touch with some other leaders in Africa over my passion for the need to deepen democracy on the continent. I will say yes and even go ahead to state that there is another area of intervention that is of equal importance to me; and this is the area of wealth creation through special programmes to encourage men and women to get involved in medium and small scale enterprises.
We intend to be doing this by assisting them through training to acquire capac­ity in their areas of interest as well as help them with access to funding. There are good investment areas that are beckon­ing to them like food processing, light manufacturing as well as exploring the agriculture value chain. We did this in Nigeria during my time in office and it was quite successful.
These are areas that are of interest to me and we will be intervening through my foundation. In terms of consultation, it is an on-going process. I have been to the United States, where I visited some former presidents and the foundations of former presidents, especially Virginia, which is home to many former presidents.
Back home, we are also doing a lot of consultations, talking to other Afri­can leaders on what we intend to do. So, we are actually on track such that by the time we take off, we would hit the ground running.

How much has the terror threat, es­pecially with Boko Haram, affected se­curity in ECOWAS?
On the issue of security in Africa, es­pecially the specific issue of kidnapping in Nigeria and other West African coun­tries, this is of concern to all of us. I just left office yesterday and I knew what we had done as ECOWAS leaders to combat the ugly trend, especially during my time as the Chairman of the regional bloc.
Then we had challenges in many countries including Mali, Burkina Faso and others. I personally visited these countries in search of solution and we executed intervention programmes that worked. Yes, we still have challenges but definitely progress is being made and we would get over it.
There is the issue of terrorism, which Nigeria and other countries are facing like we recently had an incident in Ouaga­dougou. On this, I will say that there is an effective collaborative mechanism being evolved in the region and I believe that we will get over it too.

Nigeria is an economic power house. Do you see it joining countries in the BRICS bloc soon?
In Africa, there are only three countries with GDP above three billion dollars: Ni­geria with over half a trillion dollars, fol­lowed by South Africa and Angola. You also have Egypt, Algeria and Morocco in the northern part of the continent. In terms of manufacturing, South Africa is ahead of Nigeria, although there is this contradiction of the country showcasing a world class economy while majority of its citizens still struggle to survive like others in other parts of Africa.
South Africa I know is categorised as belonging to the BRICS, which is a coin­age with the initials of the four countries. I guess the issue of Nigeria belonging there does not arise as that will mean changing the name by adding ‘N’ to accommodate Nigeria. I believe a more practical one is the evolution of another bloc, which is now known as MINT of course with Nigeria and three other emerging econo­mies that are seen to be on a reasonable part of growth.
For me, the issue is not really about get­ting into any of these emerging economic blocs. It is really about what we can do to create wealth and create employment for our people. That is more important than merely being identified as members of BRICS or MINT. We need to move our economies forward to a developed status through value addition to our primary products, manufacturing and the stop­page of this age old commodity trading.
In ECOWAS, Nigeria controls about 65 per cent of the market and it is only Nigeria that has industries that are add­ing value to our produce and the primary commodities. I encourage Nigeria and other countries to continue in this path towards boosting the real sector and man­ufacturing because the era of just export­ing primary commodities is gone.

There is a serious probe back home in Nigeria alleging diversion of the $2.1 bil­lion arms purchase fund. What’s your take?
I would have loved to speak extensively on this issue because even back home, I had read in the papers, where a few people are saying that President Jonathan should add his voice to this controversial issue. But you know, in our country, there are laws. When a matter is already in a court of law, the people who had one thing or the other to do with the matter are not ex­pected to make comments because such would be considered as subjudice.
As a former President, any comment I make .......

Read more http://africaonline.cc/index.php/2016/02/08/goodluck-jonathan-finally-speaks-on-arms-scandal-boko-haram/
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by dammytosh: 5:43am On Feb 08, 2016
As usual

odepacy:
meaning? If you have anything say please keep your finger off the phone

For the sake of this question.

There is nothing new in what he said.

He simply said he can not speak on the Arms Scandal because it is in he court of law. He has not said anything.

I don't know what is there to celebrate and that is the reason for the phrase "as usual".

and what democracy is he entrenching ? He contested election and lost by over 2.3 million votes.

I still don't understand his options apart from handing over. Will he lead war against all the Retired Army Generals on the other side ? Abdul Salam Abubakar, Obasanjo, Babangida and Buhari. In a startegically placed North controlled Army.

I hope we stop celebrating mediocrity someday.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by KEZDON(m): 5:44am On Feb 08, 2016
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by Nobody: 5:46am On Feb 08, 2016
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by olasmith10(m): 5:48am On Feb 08, 2016
Still trying to phantom wt cld be GEJ's excuse concerning d arms deal...
But I strongly suspect its going to be a an invalid,non intellectual, totally void, and highly empty excuse!!!

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by odepacy: 5:53am On Feb 08, 2016
dammytosh:
As usual
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by oluwafemi113(m): 5:54am On Feb 08, 2016
mess
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by Nobody: 5:59am On Feb 08, 2016
Datz my guy.Always teachn dem d Principles of Government. You r a real democrat.

4 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by dammytosh: 6:04am On Feb 08, 2016
odepacy:

There is a saying that says "a word is enough for the wise"

2 words can still not do it for you I guess. You ignored those who put "." and come for me. Typical of hypocrites

It is monday morn, take your frustrations elsewhere.

Byeeeeee

KEZDON:
Manueleee:
olasmith10:
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by dechriscool(m): 6:13am On Feb 08, 2016
You can't never beat him.A man with good intentions for governance.Rather than a man who can't differentiate between politics and governance.Gej you are truly a Democrat.You refused to speak on the arms scandal cos u don't want to commit subjudiced thus giving a lead to the judiciary and others involve in the case.Even if you speak,they control every sectors in the country hence we do everything to ridicule your revelations.
Gej soar on,the legacies,innovations,institutions you built are enduring the test of time.The template you laid.They are building on and confessing your good will,achievements to the country.
Gej we miss you.You refused to talk about your predecessor,successor cos politics is over,governance is what we need.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by Nobody: 6:20am On Feb 08, 2016
He no talk shi-shi angry
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by WATCHOVER(m): 6:24am On Feb 08, 2016
We love you GEJ. Not those blamee people

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by jay2pee(m): 6:33am On Feb 08, 2016
If this doesn't make front page, I will start trekking for nairaland
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by jay2pee(m): 6:34am On Feb 08, 2016
Kk
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by Baawaa(m): 6:35am On Feb 08, 2016
What does he has to say,until EFCC arrest him
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by jay2pee(m): 6:45am On Feb 08, 2016
Kk. The more this man answer questions in an intelligent way, the more I love him. He is so intelligent, democratic and smart.... If it was to be bullhari, he would start blaming the previous government, instead of facing the issue factually... In philosophy, he is committing FALLACY OF IRRELEVANT THESIS AND FALLACY OF HASTY GENERALIZATION

3 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by 989900: 6:50am On Feb 08, 2016
Change the 'heading', and this would be a good article -- everything shouldn't be about sensationalism/traffic.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by Luckylife(m): 6:51am On Feb 08, 2016
Op better take your time or seek common sense on your title
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by NobleAngell(f): 7:28am On Feb 08, 2016
Me? Read this lengthy passage? No way mehn!

Space for sale anyone.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by Pidggin(f): 7:40am On Feb 08, 2016
God bless GEJ
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Finally Speaks On Arms Scandal, Boko Haram by skademzy(m): 8:18am On Feb 08, 2016
Things are easier said than done... He made a foreign policy point suggesting one MINT? What will be their purpose and which countries will compose it? And on Dasukigate, I don't want anyone to make this man put himself in trouble. Pls leave him out of this

(1) (Reply)

Commonsense Revolution By Senator Ben Murray-bruce, Download A Copy Here, HOT!!! / Oyinbo Man Flies Arik Air To Support #Buynaijatogrowthenaira Campaign / Why Are The Yorubas Displaying Inferiority Complex?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.