Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,095 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:19 AM

Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 (18690 Views)

A Ferrari Collector Just Bought This Classic 1963 Ferrari 250 GTO For N25b / I Mistakenly Bought A Non-drivable Car / Pictures You Can Relate To When You Just Bought A New Car (2) (3) (4)

Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by DatechMan(m): 4:46pm On Feb 08, 2016
I met a guy online who happens to be in my locality. We agreed a price of 700k.
I have deposited 300k already. I'm going to pick the car tomorrow.
The car is a Toyota Corolla 2006 V4 1.8L engine.

The car is fairly neat though seems to have been repainted.
The car is manual transmission and it seems the engine is still in a good condition. Although I could see some black smoke at rev about 6k

I need heads-up/advice about this car - Best maintenance practice, Dos/donts and it's limitations.

Note: This is my first car and I will be using it for alot of moving around my state.

Your words would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

#GodBlessNigeria

DatechMan:
I just got a Used toyota Corolla 2006 Model 1.8L V4 Manual Gear.
I want to share the major problems I have personally observed with the car. I'm sharing this so that I can know the next thing to do.

1. Car vibrating in Reverse gear (owner claimed it's clutch disk fault)

2. Unlike my official Hilux, this car doesnt pick fast at gear 1. I have to rev a bit or pay extra attention to the clutching.

3. The temperature guage on the dashboard is not working ( owner claimed it was due to brainbox swap)

Kindly shed more light on this.
#GodBlessNigeria
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by DatechMan(m): 7:30pm On Feb 08, 2016
Good evening
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by mayor2013: 9:13pm On Feb 08, 2016
DatechMan:

The car is manual transmission and it seems the engine is still in a good condition. Although I could see some black smoke at rev about 6k

I need heads-up/advice about this car - Best maintenance practice, Dos/donts and it's limitations.

Note: This is my first car and I will be using it for alot of moving around my state.

Thanks,

#GodBlessNigeria

Black smoke from your exhaust means the car is burning fuel excessively. Alot could cause that. Running a scan on the car is just a step in the right direction
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by Lexusgs430: 1:36am On Feb 09, 2016
DatechMan:

Thanks,

#GodBlessNigeria

My advice to you, before you pick this car, contact GAZZUZZ to help you throughly inspect this car mechanical and otherwise.
If not, you would be back here after purchase, seeking advice after things seems to be going wrong with your 1st purchase.
NB: I sincerely hope your deposit is refundable?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by DatechMan(m): 4:38am On Feb 09, 2016
GAZZUZZ, Siena, Ikenna351, marpol et al
Does anyone know a good technician in Osogbo or Ibadan that can help do a check?

#GodBlessNigeria
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by DatechMan(m): 11:44pm On Feb 09, 2016
I want to share the major problems I have personally observed with the car. I'm sharing this so that I can know the next thing to do.

2. Unlike my official Hilux, this car doesnt pick fast at gear 1. I have to rev a bit or pay extra attention to the clutching.

3. The temperature guage on the dashboard is not working ( owner claimed it was due to brainbox swap)

#GodBlessNigeria
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by Lexusgs430: 4:12am On Feb 10, 2016
DatechMan:

#GodBlessNigeria

You were warned!!! Sellers would always masquerade bigger issues, fobbing you off, saying it's this or that.
Hope you have a deep pocket, to fix all the pitfalls and potholes ahead?

Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by Edunwa302(m): 8:10am On Feb 10, 2016
DatechMan:

#GodBlessNigeria
The clutch disc and plate is bad
Driving car in our environment without tempt gauge is suicidal
The hesitation you are experiencing at gear one is due to bad clutch (the disc and plate)
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by Lexusgs430: 11:46am On Feb 10, 2016
Edunwa302:

The hesitation you are experiencing at gear one is due to bad clutch (the disc and plate)

The car has probably started slight overheating issues, and the seller conveniently disabled the temperature gauge!!!!

Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by Edunwa302(m): 2:29pm On Feb 10, 2016
Lexusgs430:

The car has probably started slight overheating issues, and the seller conveniently disabled the temperature gauge!!!!
Hmm conveniently disable tempt guage ?
How then will you know when the car tempt run above operating tempt?
If I understand you correctly, are you saying the guage was the course of the sligth overheat?
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by Lexusgs430: 6:23pm On Feb 10, 2016
Edunwa302:

Hmm conveniently disable tempt guage ?
How then will you know when the car tempt run above operating tempt?
If I understand you correctly, are you saying the guage was the course of the sligth overheat?

No, what I am saying is, the vehicle temperature gauge does not work (according to buyer), so how does he know the true state of the engine temperature?
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by DatechMan(m): 10:30pm On Feb 10, 2016
Lexusgs430:

I also thought in that direction. In fact, I have to check the coolant(water) every now and then since I got the car (yesterday).
Sir, what is the way forward? Can this be fixed? Do you know or any technician that can help in this regard. Save a brother smiley
Thank you
#GodBless Nigeria

Edunwa302:

I took the car for checkup today with two Kazeems.
One told me it's the Engine seat (Engine mount). He told me he'll have to change about two of the seats. He asked me to come back tomorrow.
The second also told me at first that it is the Engine seat. Although after he thoroughly checked the seats ( after I bought the items) he came to realise that the engine seats are actually not worn/bad. Then he mentioned something about clutch. He said something that sounds like "Re-beat". I was although skeptical about his diagnosis.
Please, what do you advise that I do to solve my problem?
Thanks,
#GodBlessNigeria
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by Emekasmart(m): 1:08am On Feb 11, 2016
I thought u were warned about this same decision u made,how can u buy a car from an unreliable dealer even to the extent of depositing money without seeing wat u intend to buy? You surprise me sha..
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by Chynx(m): 8:57am On Feb 11, 2016
Can we see the picture of your car?
I can help you out.

Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by DatechMan(m): 12:29pm On Feb 11, 2016
Chynx:
Can we see the picture of your car?
I can help you out.
Oga Chynx. Where are you based? I'm based in Osogbo,
Which part of the car do you want to see? I'll snap everything sha. I'll upload soon.

#GodBlessNigeria

Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by adanny01(m): 3:41pm On Feb 11, 2016
You actually deposited for the car before asking for advice, why would you do that.

Is the car Euro or US spec?

You mentioned ECU swap. That could be the cause of many problems including the black smoke.
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by DatechMan(m): 10:21pm On Feb 11, 2016
adanny01:
You actually deposited for the car before asking for advice, why would you do that.

Is the car Euro or US spec?

You mentioned ECU swap. That could be the cause of many problems including the black smoke.

You could say I was naive. This is my first car. Inexperience.

I don't know which spec it is but the label is in Arabic.

He isn't so sure about the ECU swap himself. He said a rewire told him that the fault usually happen when they swap Brain box (ECU) of Corollas. He bought the vehicle from the original owner about 1.5 years back.

I think I need a competent hand to work on the car.

Anybody knows any competent hand in Osun/Ibadan

Thanks,
#GodBlessNigeria
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by Lexusgs430: 11:31pm On Feb 11, 2016
DatechMan:

He isn't so sure about the ECU swap himself. He said a rewire told him that the fault usually happen when they swap Brain box (ECU) of Corollas. He bought the vehicle from the original owner about 1.5 years back.

Thanks,
#GodBlessNigeria

Congratulations, he has successfully dumped his problems right into your hands!!!!

Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by Lexusgs430: 11:33pm On Feb 11, 2016
DatechMan:

Thanks,
#GodBlessNigeria

Congratulations, the seller has dumped his problem car, for you to continue spending where he stopped!!!
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by ogawisdom(m): 6:08am On Feb 12, 2016
DatechMan:

#GodBlessNigeria

U haven't seen d whole faults yet until u have driven d car for like six months shocked a lot of parts may b at their last life n need changed, hope there is no CEL. its almost always like dt for a naija used car undecided

Everything can b fixed sha provided there is money, d good thing is dt D car u bought is naturally rugged n can withstand abuses n still run but may never run as toks no matter hw much u spend angry

Guess u were carried away by d newly repainted body dt was shinning grin

Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by kingreign(m): 7:32am On Feb 12, 2016
ogawisdom:

U haven't seen d whole faults yet until u have driven d car for like six months shocked a lot of parts may b at their last life n need changed, hope there is no CEL. its almost always like dt for a naija used car undecided

Everything can b fixed sha provided there is money, d good thing is dt D car u bought is naturally rugged n can withstand abuses n still run but may never run as toks no matter hw much u spend angry

Choi you don see the future of the motor shocked
Evil man repent grin
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by diportivo: 8:06am On Feb 12, 2016
Ur opening statement is why I am not surprised about these problems you av

You say the car is a v4 shocked

Its cos you dont av experience.if u did,u wld know that v4 cars are very problematic and thats why people avoid them

At this point you have to be very prayerful,or find ur way to lagos to av prophet gazzuzz help u lay hands on the car

I hope u get a solution fast

embarassed
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by DatechMan(m): 10:07am On Feb 12, 2016
Thank you everyone.
I really appreciate your contributions.
I would very much love to come see Oga GAZZUZZ but Chaii my job wouldn't allow mee come Lag anytime soon. Also, I dread driving in Lagos with all this numerous unique laws.
I would prefer Osogbo, Ibadan or Akure

Thanks,

#GodBlessNigeria
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by adanny01(m): 11:31am On Feb 12, 2016
ogawisdom:

Infact, i have a rule in buying Nigerian used cars, i buy what i can fix, not what has been fixed since i wont know how well it was done.
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by DatechMan(m): 6:01pm On Feb 12, 2016
I'd love to run a scan on the car. Anyone knows where I can do that in Osogbo/Ibadan/Akure?

Thanks,

#GodBlessNigeria
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by billyG(m): 8:09pm On Feb 12, 2016
diportivo:
Ur opening statement is why I am not surprised about these problems you av

You say the car is a v4 shocked

Its cos you dont av experience.if u did,u wld know that v4 cars are very problematic and thats why people avoid them

At this point you have to be very prayerful,or find ur way to lagos to av prophet gazzuzz help u lay hands on the car

I hope u get a solution fast

embarassed
V4 problematic?which V is cool?
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by DatechMan(m): 9:15pm On Feb 12, 2016
billyG:

V4 problematic?which V is cool?
You just spoke my mind.
Let him clarify please.
I dumped a V6 car for this V4.

#GodBlessNigeria
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by Lexusgs430: 12:26am On Feb 13, 2016
DatechMan:

You just spoke my mind.
Let him clarify please.

#GodBlessNigeria

All cars can be problematic (i1 - W32) etc etc. If regular maintenance schedules are not performed and issues fixed properly and appropriately(using OEM parts or next to).
Not crappy Chinko, Aba or Indian parts!!!!

Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by tosynmich(m): 3:43am On Feb 13, 2016
Lexusgs430:

I know some where in osogbo
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by tosynmich(m): 3:45am On Feb 13, 2016
DatechMan:
I'd love to run a scan on the car. Anyone knows where I can do that in Osogbo/Ibadan/Akure?

Thanks,

#GodBlessNigeria
I know some where in osogbo
Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by diportivo: 6:34am On Feb 13, 2016
DatechMan:

You just spoke my mind.
Let him clarify please.

#GodBlessNigeria

You seemingly didn't get the humour(not so humorous) part of my post

Your car is not a v4 but an i4...how can it be a v4 when d engine isn't V-shaped?

Now,so dat some of us can learn,kindly tell why u dumped a v6 for the i4

Re: Just Bought a used Toyoto Corolla 2006 by DGD1(m): 7:24am On Feb 13, 2016
best thing to do is to return the car and get refund of your money. I've seen cases like this....there is more to this car that you don't know, else you will just be regretting the deal for a loooooong time.
if you can only get 200k,dash the owner the rest.

come to think of it, corolla that is hot cake now, u are buying @ 700k, you gave the owner 300k and he asked you to take the car! something is wrong somewhere,

#my2cents bt as we no see dollar spend #my2kobo

Free Driving Lessons For 20 People / How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? / 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57