Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,334 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake (85071 Views)

Ekiti Governorship Election: Ooni Of Ife Is Sad Over Political Tension / Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake / Ooni Of Ife Visits Alake Of Egbaland (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by 3rdlegxxx(m): 11:23am On Feb 09, 2016
Ejemehn:

Binis are not yorubas. They have never been and will never be. If Cuba and Brazil are claiming Yoruba, so be it. But Edos are not Yoruba. They have never begged to be part of Yoruba nation and will never be.

Thanks for this comment, some people are so shallow and dull, after they would start shouting i am a graduate, i work in a reputable company, just read what a reasonable person spewed out there, who beg them? people want to be Yoruba? guy your comment should be deleted when intelligent conversations are going on, such 16 year old words shouldn't be allowed room to sit and the sad part is that, he would still get loads of likes for this, it just makes me wonder of the kind of people that populate nairaland, i give up on nairaland.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by folik121: 11:24am On Feb 09, 2016
History of Benin Empire:-
The original people and founders of the Benin Empire, the Edo people, were initially ruled by the Ogiso (Kings of the Sky) dynasty who called their land Igodomigodo. The rulers or kings were commonly known as Ogiso. Igodo, the first Ogiso, wielded much influence and gained popularity as a good ruler. He died after a long reign and was succeeded by Ere, his eldest son. In the 12th century, a great palace intrigue and battle for power erupted between the warrior crown prince Ekaladerhan son of the last Ogiso and his young paternal uncle. In anger over an oracle, Prince Ekaladerhan left the royal court with his warriors. When his old father the Ogiso died, the Ogiso dynasty was ended as the people and royal kingmakers preferred their king's son as natural next in line to rule.
The exiled Prince Ekaladerhan, who was not known in Yoruba land, somehow earned the title of Oni Ile-fe Izoduwa which is now corrupt to yoruba language as Ooni (Oghene) of Ile-Ife Oduduwa and refused to return, then sent his son Oranmiyan to become king. Prince Oranmiyan took up his abode in the palace built for him at Usama by the elders (now a coronation shrine). Soon after his arrival he married a beautiful lady, Erinmwinde, daughter of Osa-nego, was the ninth Enogie (Duke) of Ego, by whom he had a son. After some years residence here he called a meeting of the people and renounced his office, remarking that the country was a land of vexation, Ile-Ibinu (by which name the country was afterward known) and that only a child born, trained and educated in the arts and mysteries of the land could reign over the people. He caused his son born to him by Erinmwinde to be made King in his place, and returned to Yoruba land Ile-Ife. After some years in Ife, he left for Oyo, where he also left a son behind on leaving the place, and his son Ajaka ultimately became the first Alafin of Oyo of the present line, while Oranmiyan himself was reigning as Oni of Ife. Therefore, Oranmiyan of Ife, the father of Eweka I, the Oba of Benin, was also the father of Ajaka, the first Alafin of Oyo. Oni of Ife and Alafe of Oyo is a Bini spoken language all the Kings title in Southerner are Edo Language. In Nigeria Edo has the greatest and rich culture and most influence in West Africa and powerful King in Nigeria. Allegedly Oba Eweka later changed the name of the city of Ile-Binu, the capital of the Benin kingdom, to "Ubinu." This name would be reinterpreted by the Portugueseas "Benin" in their own language. Around 1470, Ewuare changed the name of the state to Edo. [ 2 ]This was about the time the people of Okpekpemigrated from Benin City.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by 3rdlegxxx(m): 11:25am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

You got it mixed up pardner.

Bini is a migrant group to Edoland. Binis are the State Rulers that emigrated from Ile Ife and ruled over Edoland.

The pre State, under rulership of Ogiso ended its dynastic power when the Ile Ife State Rulers arrived and established a new dynasty, cults and Statehood.

There is nothing in traditional Edo custom called Olokun. This was Yoruba cult, so was Ifa and Obatala, which the migrant rulers established and which you practice till today.

1st comment i respect here, reason being that i noticed that if i hear benin people speaking and listen very attentive, it sounds a lot like Yoruba

Yoruba did to Edo what Fulani did to Hausa, except our language persisted as the court vernacular until very recently....in fact right around the Independence of Nigeria...whereas Fulani adopted the language of the conquered.

Separate Bini from Edo sharp sharp! Edo is not Yoruba but Bini is part and parcel Yoruba and nothing you can do to erase it.

1 Like

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by JIGHU(m): 11:25am On Feb 09, 2016
ONLY EREDIUWA BEARS THAT TITLE..........HOW DID YOU ARRIVE AT THIS THAT ALL FORMER OBAS OF BENIN BEARS OMO N'OBA?LOL
OPCNAIRALAND:
The full title of Benin King is Omo n'Oba n'Edo.

Translation : The begotten of the Oba that ruled Edo.

Which Oba ruled Edo beside Oranmiyan? The begotten of Oranmiyan was Eweka, who was the first to hold the title Omo n'Oba.

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Enahi(f): 11:29am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

It is indisputable that Oba is a titular position and belongs to Yoruba culture, not Benin.

So why is King of Benin a titular Omo n'Oba (the descendant of Oba), can the Benin palace give us clarity on this?

The post is clear enough, you Yorubas are thieves and imitators, I studied history and international Relations and what I read now is very correct. Yorubas never had anything like Oba attached to their kingship, why am I even wasting my time replying you.

The history of bini deals with facts and not like that of Yorubas that believe in undocumented sources as historical evidences. Yorubas have the most confused and biased history in Nigeria, you fools actually believe Oduduwa fell from the sky. Bunch of backward dimwits.

1 Like

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by ritababe(f): 11:30am On Feb 09, 2016
chowlade:

Ipod youth on rampage why r u so pained grin?
D binis should go nd join ur zooafrans though lol Yorubas dont care.
i pity your history teacher, you cant even prove a point without insult how old are you 15?
Quote me when you grow let me teach the history of benin and yoruba kingdom.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Enahi(f): 11:32am On Feb 09, 2016
JIGHU:
ONLY EREDIUWA BEARS THAT TITLE..........HOW DID YOU ARRIVE AT THIS THAT ALL FORMER OBAS OF BENIN BEARS OMO N'OBA?LOL

Don't mind the mumu, the ewedu and Amala he ate has destroyed his brain.

2 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Ahmed3rdjuly: 11:32am On Feb 09, 2016
Everyone believes in his oral traditions.
but when 2 oral traditions conflicts then you have to rely on science to identify which is which.
In this ever conflicting history of Yorubas and the Binis i believe asking scientific questions would give clues to the answers of which Empire existed before the other.
1) If both the Ife and Binis had clay n bronze artifacts, which artifacts predates the other?
2) Which of the 2 languages is more sophisticated? example English is less sophisticated than German became it is an offshoot of German. that makes the Britons and offspring of the barbarian Germans/Saxons
3) Existence of Human/animal fossils. which of these places has earlier human fossils/remains
4) Evidences from other neighboring civilizations.
5) Structural evidences,are there existing ancient structures like walls, graves, pyramids, pits, building foundations etc.

Until the Binis and the Yorubas are able to use science to solve these argument we should all remain in peace and embrace each others as humans

4 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by thawgy(m): 11:34am On Feb 09, 2016
Kirigidi:
If u study history very well, u wil notice dat bfor d comin of d British, Yoruba kings were not knwn by d title "Oba". Rather, they were bearin various titles such as Alaafin, Ooni, Alake, Deji, Ewi, Olu, Baale, etc. Only d Benin monarchs were knwn to hav bin consistent wit d use of d title "Oba" frm d start as documentd by early Portuguese Explorers who visitd d empire in d 15th century AD! D title "OBA" is derived frm d Edoid word "OGBA" which translates to mean, "THE STRONG", "THE POWERFUL", "THE MIGHTY" or "THE GREAT"! D use of d Oba title by Yoruba kings was a later adaptation copied frm d Binis owing to d fame nd prestige of d Benin Monarchy. Nd also, don't forget dat d Binis conquerd nd ruled large parts of Yorubaland!
. Don't confuse things, the Oba in yorubaland I not a title and it means Lord, Domino,Ruler e.t.c and the titles were the Alaake of Egbaland, Alaafin of Oyo, Olubadan, Ooni of IFE which were the lords of the lands mentioned in their titles.. evidently, Yorubas then refer to the bearer of these titles as their Obas evident in the salutaions Kabiyesi o, oba wa, Oba nki e.. so do not misconstrue the use of these words as proof that Yorubas never had Obas till the edo influence came in

2 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by YonkijiSappo: 11:35am On Feb 09, 2016
Ahmed3rdjuly:
Everyone believes in his oral traditions.
but when 2 oral traditions conflicts then you have to rely on science to identify which is which.
In this ever conflicting history of Yorubas and the Binis i believe asking scientific questions would give clues to the answers of which Empire existed before the other.
1) If both the Ife and Binis had clay n bronze artifacts, which artifacts predates the other?
2) Which of the 2 languages is more sophisticated? example English is less sophisticated than German became it is an offshoot of German. that makes the Britons and offspring of the barbarian Germans/Saxons
3) Existence of Human/animal fossils. which of these places has earlier human fossils/remains
4) Evidences from other neighboring civilizations.
5) Structural evidences,are there existing ancient structures like walls, graves, pyramids, pits, building foundations etc.

Until the Binis and the Yorubas are able to use science to solve these argument we should all remain in peace and embrace each others as humans

LOL, they learnt their art of Bronze casting from the Yorubas of Ife, at the request of one of their Obas, a master of casting was loaned to them to teach.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by YonkijiSappo: 11:37am On Feb 09, 2016
thawgy:
. Don't confuse things, the Oba in yorubaland I not a title and it means Lord, Domino,Ruler e.t.c and the titles were the Alaake of Egbaland, Alaafin of Oyo, Olubadan, Ooni of IFE which were the lords of the lands mentioned in their titles.. evidently, Yorubas then refer to the bearer of these titles as their Obas evident in the salutaions Kabiyesi o, oba wa, Oba nki e.. so do not misconstrue the use of these words as proof that Yorubas never had Obas till the edo influence came in

Even OBA-TALA was a local community leader in primordial Ife.

3 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Segekesy(m): 11:38am On Feb 09, 2016
If nobody can answer this question i rest my case , before now the bini's do go far to ile-ife and buried their leaders? In the bible when these people of God isaac,jacob and joseph and others know they will die soon they begged their children to bury them beside their father. Odo to ba gbagbe orii sun re yoo gbe e ni, a bo oro nla so fun omoluwabi ti o ba denu re yoo di odinodin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Nobody: 11:39am On Feb 09, 2016
Looool.

I don't know why folks are arguing over. The Alake asked for it after stirring the hornet's nest and I alluded to it on that thread.

The Ooni has visited other kings and no one talked about hierarchy. And the visit is about Yoruba unity, not for throne superiority contest. I don't why he decided to include Bini and/or start causing troubling by talking about hierarchy, especially for a group with four different kings that never had a kingdom and had to fight so many wars to be independent - till the 19th century. I guess it is cos he can't stand the fact the Ooni visited the Awujale before him. But if he had problem with that, he should spoken to the Ooni privately about it or speak only about the "superiority" of his throne compared to the Ijebu throne which pre-existed it, with a kingdom that was never a vassal to anyone.

Anyway, he is lucky both the Alaafin of Oyo and Awujale didn't take any offence to what he said. You just can't fault the Oba of Benin for reacting the way he did, regardless of what you think about the revisionism. The Alake asked for it.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by willibounce1(m): 11:40am On Feb 09, 2016
elyna:
you're cursed, your level of fo.olishness is a disgrace to yorubaland, learn to get your Facts right and learn to keep away from issues you know nothing about, mocking the past and present great kings of Benin, keep it up lets see where it gets you.

He is not cursed you Idi..ot. He is has stated the fact and ain't mocking your OBA'S . Get that into your Edo skull.

1 Like

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Enahi(f): 11:42am On Feb 09, 2016
Tunami:
they should go to hell, we don't even need them in yoruba land, even people that are in faraway Cuba, Venezuela, Brasil etc. Are even happy to be called yorubas talkless them. Abegi. Iranu abasha, shiooor.

Hey you sorry to disappoint you,we Edos don't have inferiority complex like the Yorubas. Even if the whole world claims to come from Yoruba land we wiĺl not want to be part of Yorubas ok

You are own your own,we are not sons and daughters of a masquerade that fell from the sky, God forbid bad thing that we should be part of your history. It sucks to be Yoruba with all those una gigantic tribal marks and toutish behavior. God forbid.

3 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by tayooluwole: 11:43am On Feb 09, 2016
seunajia:

grin grin

A ma wa se nkan bayii o cry

Did you read what that guy wrote? He said the names with Oba prefix only came to existence in Yorubaland in the 50s. Yet he mentioned Obasanjo and Obafemi that were born years and years before.

Learn to read and comprehend, you hear? Now gerout!

Fine, Olusegun Obasanjo was born in the 50's. His name olusegun was given to him as his name while Obasanjo was his father's name or possibly his surname and thereby, olusegun make it his surname as well... Now trace his father and grandfather,s existence to days back in history and tell me the resulted date...
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by livinbygrace: 11:46am On Feb 09, 2016
Oranmiyan took up his abode in the palace built for him at Usama by the elders (now a coronation shrine). Soon after his arrival he married a beautiful lady, Erinmwinde, daughter of Osa-nego, was the ninth Enogie (Duke) of Ego, by whom he had a son. After some years residence here he called a meeting of the people and renounced his office, remarking that the country was a land of vexation, Ile-Ibinu (by which name the country was afterward known) and that only a child born, trained and educated in the arts and mysteries of the land could reign over the people. He caused his son born to him by Erinmwinde to be made King in his place,

Oduduwa"son(Oranmiyan) from Ile fe became king in Bini.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by nisai: 11:48am On Feb 09, 2016
ProfShymex:
Looool.

I don't know why folks are arguing over. The Alake asked for it after stirring the hornet's nest and I alluded to it on that thread.

The Ooni has visited other kings and no one talked about hierarchy. And the visit is about Yoruba unity, not for throne superiority contest. I don't why he decided to include Bini and/or start causing troubling by talking about hierarchy, especially for a group with four different kings that never had a kingdom and had to fight so many wars to be independent - till the 19th century. I guess it is cos he can't stand the fact the Ooni visited the Awujale before him. But if he had problem with that, he should spoken to the Ooni privately about it or speak only about the "superiority" of his throne compared to the Ijebu throne which pre-existed it, with a kingdom that was never a vassal to anyone.

Anyway, he is lucky both the Alaafin of Oyo and Awujale didn't take any offence to what he said. You just can't fault the Oba of Benin for reacting the way he did, regardless of what you think about the revisionism. The Alake asked for it.
Exactly.Some obas need serious lesson.See what arrogance had caused him now.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by sirrinky: 11:48am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

We should ask them self, since they claim Oba is a recent adaptation by Yoruba to then tell us how we came about the name prefix.

Obafemi
Obayemi
Obadare
Obaseki

You may not know this,but the binis bear Obahiagbon,
Obasohan,
Obaseki,
Obahon,
Obamwongie
Obasogbe etc.Just like the Yoruba culture adapted the Oba title,its logical they made permutations of it for personal names also. Looking at the span of the bini kingdom all the way from present benin to dahomey its clear really who the title and true royalty belongs to.The Oba stool of Bini kingdom is not some childs play where miscreants and wife beaters go exhibit their skills,its a thorough insult comparing to Bini.The Oba is foremost in Benin and even outside the kingdom he still is king. Love live the king.

1 Like

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by YonkijiSappo: 11:51am On Feb 09, 2016
sirrinky:

You may not know this,but the binis bear Obahiagbon,
Obasohan,
Obaseki,
Obahon,
Obamwongie
Obasogbe etc.Just like the Yoruba culture adapted the Oba title,its logical they made permutations of it for personal names also. Looking at the span of the bini kingdom all the way from present benin to dahomey its clear really who the title and true royalty belongs to.The Oba stool of Bini kingdom is not some childs play where miscreants and wife beaters go exhibit their skills,its a thorough insult comparing to Bini.The Oba is foremost in Benin and even outside the kingdom he still is king. Love live the king.

Stop lying, Benin Empire never reached Dahomey, Only Oyo Empire did.
You copied Oba, then Copied Omo, then copied Olokun, then copied Ogun, then copied Ida and Ada (Decorative machetes and Royal Swords)....... A lot of stuff in your culture was copied from Yorubas.
If you dont know, now you know.

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by freemanbubble: 11:54am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

We should ask them self, since they claim Oba is a recent adaptation by Yoruba to then tell us how we came about the name prefix.

Obafemi
Obayemi
Obadare
Obaseki
what about the bini names like obazee, obaseki, obayagbon, obayuwana,
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by seunajia: 11:54am On Feb 09, 2016
tayooluwole:

Fine, Olusegun Obasanjo was born in the 50's. His name olusegun was given to him as his name while Obasanjo was his father's name or possibly his surname and thereby, olusegun make it his surname as well... Now trace his father and grandfather,s existence to days back in history and tell me the resulted date...

Olusegun Obasanjo was born in 1937. It means the name must have existed before that time. You want more? Obafemi Awolowo (1909)...

Please don't quote me again, thanks!

4 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Nobody: 11:55am On Feb 09, 2016
nisai:
Exactly.Some obas need serious lesson.See what arrogance had caused him now.

Lol. I don't even think it's arrogance - it is insecurity. The Owu they always claim as Oduduwa's as son why Egba should always be ranked high are not even proper Egbas. I'd even rate Owo higher than Egba and I'm a quarter Egba.

If you are a student of history - you should know where the Binis stand when it comes to kingship/hierarchy - why go start another trouble? Loool. These Egba folks are just troublesome lol. I don't know what they have going on with Ijebus in Ogun state but both groups need to fall back. Chasing Ijebu is what caused the needless disrespect from the Bini palace. But can you blame them?

1 Like

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by JIGHU(m): 12:00pm On Feb 09, 2016
ODUDUWA (IZODUWA) IS A BINI PRINCE WHO LEFT TO RULE IFE.....DO THE MATHS
livinbygrace:
Oranmiyan took up his abode in the palace built for him at Usama by the elders (now a coronation shrine). Soon after his arrival he married a beautiful lady, Erinmwinde, daughter of Osa-nego, was the ninth Enogie (Duke) of Ego, by whom he had a son. After some years residence here he called a meeting of the people and renounced his office, remarking that the country was a land of vexation, Ile-Ibinu (by which name the country was afterward known) and that only a child born, trained and educated in the arts and mysteries of the land could reign over the people. He caused his son born to him by Erinmwinde to be made King in his place,

Oduduwa"son(Oranmiyan) from Ile fe became king in Bini.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by sirrinky: 12:02pm On Feb 09, 2016
YonkijiSappo:

Stop lying, Benin Empire never reached Dahomey, Only Oyo Empire did.
You copied Oba, then Copied Omo, then copied Olokun, then copied Ogun, then copied Ida and Ada (Decorative machetes and Royal Swords)....... A lot of stuff in your culture was copied from Yorubas.
If you dont know, now you know.

Mehn did you smoke wet weed What are you even saying? Anyways that's your cup of tea.Won't argue with you.Have a productive day. Ciao
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Enahi(f): 12:05pm On Feb 09, 2016
Onijagidijagan:
The word Oba is yoruba word why are these benin people lying this way. ..The first Oba was Oduduwa d last born of Lamurudu frm Ife

Binis are here to steal our culture like d IPODs...Iol

Very funny do you people even have culture? You also don't have evidence to show that your Oduduwa that fell from the sky was the first Oba of Bini, so shut it please.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by YonkijiSappo: 12:08pm On Feb 09, 2016
sirrinky:

Mehn did you smoke wet weed What are you even saying? Anyways that's your cup of tea.Won't argue with you.Have a productive day. Ciao

Sharrap, your lies were caught in broad daylight, now you are trying to run away?
You said Benin empire reached Dahomey...pure lie ....
You also said Yoruba copied the Oba title from your people.... Another white lie.
Then you said It is possible we copied Omo the same way we copied Oba... lie number 3.

The real story is actually the other way round, you go around copying Yoruba stuff, only to personalise them and call them your own, 200 years later. Your Bini itself was named by the Yorubas. You can change the city's name back to Igodomigodo or Idu or whatever if you would like to detach yourselves completely from the Yoruba aspects of your history.

2 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Nobody: 12:12pm On Feb 09, 2016
Always leave Binis out of it.

But fvk it - this is my ranking.

1). Alaafin of Oyo and Ooni of Ife (joint first and I only put Ife up there cos it's the spiritual home of the Yorubas but Ijebus were the ones who defended Ife all through the Yoruba wars to avoided subjugation with thousands of Ijebu warriors).

2). Awujale of Ijebu.

3). Alaketu of Ketu.

4). Owo kingdom.

Ibadan should take the next spot despite the fact that it never had a proper king and it's conglomerate of all Yorubas. But you can't knock the military might of the Ibadan warriors of yore - they ruled with an iron fist. Then Egbas can take the spot after Ibadan cos they were great in battles. The rest can fight for whatever spots are left.

Real ranking right there based on historical facts. cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by arazanbal: 12:12pm On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

It is indisputable that Oba is a titular position and belongs to Yoruba culture, not Benin.

So why is King of Benin a titular Omo n'Oba (the descendant of Oba), can the Benin palace give us clarity on this?

SON OF HIS ANCESTORIAL FATHERS.WHO ARE BORN BORN OBAS FROM TIME IN MEMORIAL.UKPU AR KPORLOKPOLO.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by YonkijiSappo: 12:16pm On Feb 09, 2016
ProfShymex:
Always leave Binis out of it.

But fvk it - this is my ranking.

1). Alaafin of Oyo and Ooni of Ife (joint first and I only put Ife up there cos it's the spiritual home of the Yorubas but Ijebus were the ones who defended Ife all through the Yoruba wars to avoided subjugation with thousands of Ijebu warriors).

2). Awujale of Ijebu.

3). Alaketu of Ketu.

4). Owo kingdom.

Ibadan should take the fifth spot despite the fact that it never had a proper king and it's conglomerate of all Yorubas. But you can't knock the military might of the Ibadan warriors of yore - they ruled with an iron fist. Then Egbas can take the spot after Ibadan cos they were great in battles. The rest can fight for whatever spots are left.

Real ranking right there based on historical facts. cool

And the Owa Obokun of Ilesha?
Ewi of Ado?
Orangun of Ila?
I take it you are Ijebu....... cool though.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by kenoz(m): 12:20pm On Feb 09, 2016
undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (20) (Reply)

Queen Aanu Introduces New Man To Her Family / Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood At Okrika Market Yesterday / The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.