Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,702 members, 7,820,456 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers (13536 Views)

Senate Throws Out Bill To End Gender Discrimination / Enugu Lawmakers Reject Bill To End Gender Discrimination, Say Its Unafrican / Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican-male Lawmakers Of Enugu State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Ohamzee: 12:07pm On Feb 10, 2016
But wait oh. the other day, i witnessed a conductor exchanging words with a woman and not long after, a fight did erupt. Then a mopo from nowhere came out with his koboko and bathed the man with it and everyone started insulting him that he is fighting a woman. Now i ask, is this not discrimination? if men and women should have equal rights it then means that a man and a woman can fight without discriminating talks from people. I think we the men need it more so that we can at least protect ourselves from them. Nevertheless, on the long run, women realy needs this law. Women's subjugation and discrimination is quite alarming. Kudos to the lady. Nice try.

1 Like

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Fanirandele: 12:08pm On Feb 10, 2016
ceecee0703:

Forget who is animal or not even without the bill some women are the men in their homes if u sign the bill we will rarely have any family at all....we copy the west and over use the copied commodity. its better we fashion out a way to incorporate the women but the day any bill like dat is signed in Nigeria, marriage will rarely work.

Bills about gender discrimination are not about marriage but the larger society. Its about someone not getting discriminated against for a job because of their sex, its about landlords not discriminating against female tenants and such. Clearly your thinking is the same as those women and that is why they were against it. They know once their wives have more rights n the society they can no longer treat them like sub-humans at home

5 Likes

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Fanirandele: 12:10pm On Feb 10, 2016
Ohamzee:
But wait oh. the other day, i witnessed a conductor exchanging words with a woman and not long after, a fight did erupt. Then a mopo from nowhere came out with his koboko and bathed the man with it and everyone started insulting him that he is fighting a woman. Now i ask, is this not discrimination? if men and women should have equal rights it then means that a man and a woman can fight without discriminating talks from people. I think we the men need it more so that we can at least protect ourselves from them. Nevertheless, on the long run, women realy needs this law. Women's subjugation and discrimination is quite alarming. Kudos to the lady. Nice try.

No one is allowed to fight anyone regardless of gender, both of them should have been arrested for assault

1 Like

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by DiademSh07: 12:14pm On Feb 10, 2016
lastpage:

We've hear enough about what Achebe wrote.
Now is that the only thing you've got to say, all day? angry angry angry
The question is not about whether what Achebe wrote, is true or not. Ooginni?

Lastpage!
My business though! What's ya? Yeye!
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by lastpage: 12:21pm On Feb 10, 2016
Mamatee07:
I

Now you're just been ridiculous, it's like saying stealing and murder are un African so we should not have laws about them. As long as he can't claim the whole community never discriminates that means there is a need for the law, laws are in place to make sure some don't go against it. Also it's silly to say women are not discriminated against when Women can't even inherit land from their fathers, if that is not a clear case of discrimination then what is.

That man said this is not America, meaning If you want gender equality go to America so please try not to twist things

Like l said earlier, if there are "pockets" of discrimination (which even still happens even in Western Countries), LAWS need to be strengthened.

I have sisters and we all shared our parents 'ESTATES' EQUALLY, upon their demise so l dont know where you come from that you dont allow your female siblings to inherit land?

Your examples are ignorantly puerile, to put it mildly!

assuming there are no murders in Africa, then it is actually stewpid, to make laws against it ....in Africa. undecided
That is the concept of "ab initio" that l mentioned earlier, which you failed to comprehend.

Assuming "One child" failed in a class, it does not mean the whole class has failed and they all have to repeat that class...... That "failure child" is the one that needs to being attended to.

The Law maker is saying: Look, that problem is not preponderant here, to the point of making "new laws' against it; we just need to strengthen the ones we have to tackle little pockets of infractions.

But then, any sensible person knows that "these Equal rights Bill" is more than just about "equal right", ...it is just a convenient excuse for something more sinister....

We've seen it in the Western countries, in the past
. undecided undecided

Lastpage!
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by lastpage: 12:22pm On Feb 10, 2016
DiademSh07:

My business though! What's ya?
Yeye!

Very true! Your business! lipsrsealed kiss

Yeye dey smell! undecided grin grin

Lastpage!
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Nobody: 12:29pm On Feb 10, 2016
lastpage:

Can you please "factually explain" how our Mothers and Sisters are perpetually seen as "sub citizens" in Nigeria?

I like people who can "reasonably and logically defend" what they say, it shows they are intelligent. undecided

Oya, go on and explain.

Lastpage!

The fact that they wont accept a harmless bill of equality is enough evidence that in that the women are sub par. Someone explained how culturally it is acceptable that if a girls fatjer dies, the mans brothers are the ones to inherit his property. A mans child should be the rightful heir not his brothers backed up by culture... If the bill is passed into law, such incidences would be criminal.....

3 Likes

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by suwalee(f): 12:29pm On Feb 10, 2016
TruthHurts1:
A bill seeking to establish equality between men and women in Enugu State was on Tuesday rejected by members of the state house of assembly.

The proposed law, known as ‘Equal Rights and Opportunities for Men and Women and Other Matters Related Thereto Bill’, was sponsored by a female member of the House, Hon. Dame Nkechi Omeje-Ogbu, representing Nsukka West Constituency.

Omeje-Ogbu is also the chairman of the House Committee on Gender Affairs.
The bill had scaled first reading before suffering a setback during a debate on Tuesday, with most of the male members kicking out viciously against it.

It was described as ‘anti-cultural’ and ‘un-African’.

The bill would have been rejected outright, had the Speaker, Hon. Edward Ubosi, not intervened by suggesting that it should be stepped down for reconsideration on a future, unspecified date.

Before then, the sponsor, Omeje-Ogbu, had explained that the ‘Enugu State Equal Opportunities Bill’, if passed into law, would protect all persons from discrimination on the basis of gender, in private and public places.

According to her, the bill provided “protection for women’s bodies, integrity, dignity and would affirm their right to equal opportunities to realise their full potentials”.

She added that the bill was also seeking positions and appointments for the women of Enugu State, noting that marriage, divorce and widowhood should not deny them (women) their rights.

However, many male lawmakers spoke out against the bill.

The member representing Awgu North Constituency, Hon. Sunny Ude-Okoye, said that he would not be a party to the bill ‘because here is Africa and not America’.

Ude-Okoye suggested that if anybody wishes to embrace practices as suggested in the bill, such a person should relocate to America.
“I have risen to declare my stand, I have risen to take my stand that this is a colossal waste.

Other lawmakers were rising against the bill when the Speaker, Ubosi, suggested that it be stepped down for wider consultation.

Ubosi said the bill would be reconsidered in the future.
Thanking the sponsor, Omeje-Ogbu, for the bill, the Speaker said it would not be proper to kill it ‘prematurely’, even though most of the lawmakers had strong feelings against it.

https://www.today.ng/news/national/77389/enugu-lawmakers-reject-bill-on-gender-equality

their myopic way of reasoning tho let dem take a cue at sirleaf Angela Markel Christine largade n Co that's d reason y so many potentials av died in nigeria cos dey limit d female folks especially our ibo folks

1 Like

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by lastpage: 12:32pm On Feb 10, 2016
Ohamzee:

Women have been more cunning than men, from the time of Adam!
Even worse, some foolish men, so ignorantly, think they are fighting the "cause of women" as a "weaker shex", when in reality, they are being "used and dumped", for emasculating their fellow men.

Its so strange and funny that "some men" could be this unintelligent
!
grin grin
But such is Life, even Biblical Adam proved that men are weaker (emotionally,) than women and women use this weakness to their advantage! grin

It is also strange that in the "Western Countries" we are trying to copy, they are beginning to realise their mistake and are redressing some of these laws!
For example, "Equality Laws" have been used to prevent Men from seeing their children, if the parents are unmarried. It has been used to allow a woman terminate Pregnancy, without the consent of her man/husband, by claiming it's her body!
Now, Western countries are seein gthe injustice they met on the menfolk and trying to correct it.

Yet ,here we are in Africa, we are trying to swallow the bait, hook, line and sinker, in 2016!
grin grin

Anyway, "Water has a way of finding its level, it is only those whose houses are low-lying. that would have to pay the price first". undecided undecided wink

Lastpage!
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by lastpage: 12:34pm On Feb 10, 2016
gcode123:

The fact that they wont accept a harmless bill of equality is enough evidence that in that the women are sub par. Someone explained how culturally it is acceptable that if a girls fatjer dies, the mans brothers are the ones to inherit his property. A mans child should be the rightful heir not his brothers backed up by culture... If the bill is passed into law, such incidences would be criminal.....

See "factual Explanation" Kwa? shocked shocked shocked

Okay, l wont go into arguments with you. grin grin

Lastpage!
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Ohamzee: 12:34pm On Feb 10, 2016
Fanirandele:

No one is allowed to fight anyone regardless of gender, both of them should have been arrested for assault
Thank God you said should. bro, this nigeria and thats not gana happen. no sane law enforcement officer would do that though quite absurd and inappopriate
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Nobody: 12:38pm On Feb 10, 2016
lastpage:

See "factual Explanation" Kwa? shocked shocked shocked

Okay, l wont go into arguments with you. grin grin

Lastpage!

Good thinking kwa
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Ohamzee: 12:51pm On Feb 10, 2016
Africans copying the western world since time immemorial...never willing to become masters of their own. Thats why we will keep on being their play things since we have decided not to appreciate what we have just for the white man's goods and policies. You see why we are yet to move on because we worship the white man, believing that everything he says and does is perfect but we never get to look inward to see if we got something great that they too can borrow. I weep in hindu.
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by cheruv: 12:55pm On Feb 10, 2016
Okijajuju1:
Dear Igbo Women: In Biafra, Men would never allow you women to hold equal rights as them.

Women like Late Dora Akunyili, Okonjo Iweala, Ezekwesili and co would never reach the level they did in Nigeria under Biafra because Igbo Men are more superior to Igbo women. They would end up in the Kitchen cooking Okpa and Akidi beans for the rest of their lives. grin

#IgboWomenSayNoToBiafra.

grin
This post is biggest insult to Igbo women!!
Anyway only fish brained Igbo women would take whatever this poster seriously... Real Igbo women know their mettle.

As per the issue at hand,I support the lawmakers bkos this feminism of a thing would one day destroy Igboland if its allowed to creep in. Chukwu Okike made the females as helpmates, and for 4000years this practice instituted by Chukwu Okike himself has never been altered and it'd not start now!
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by LadyExcellency: 1:03pm On Feb 10, 2016
suwalee:
their myopic way of reasoning tho let dem take a cue at sirleaf Angela Markel Christine largade n Co that's d reason y so many potentials av died in nigeria cos dey limit d female folks especially our ibo folks

May be where you come from females are subjugated but with regards to where I come from, Umuada (the women in council) have the capacity to upturn the King's order.

USA is not a signatory to international right of the child because they believe a parent reserve the right to spank his/her child.

Sometimes you don't read meaning into a methodology you don't fully understand. In Israel for instance, you're not born a Jew unless your mother is even if you are the Prime Minister. A Jewish man marrying non Jew makes their Children non-Jews.
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by suwalee(f): 1:09pm On Feb 10, 2016
LadyExcellency:

May be where you come from females are subjugated but with regards to where I come from, Umuada (the women in council) have the capacity to upturn the King's order.
USA is not a signatory to international right of the child because they believe a parent reserve the right to spank his/her child.
Sometimes you don't read meaning into a methodology you don't fully understand. In Israel for instance, you're not born a Jew unless your mother is even if you are the Prime Minister.
LadyExcellency:

Sometimes you don't read meaning into a methodology you don't fully understand. In Israel for instance, you're not born a Jew unless your mother is even if you are the Prime Minister.
when I typed I knowingly typed Nigeria. cos Umuada folks upturn the kings order dnt mean oda women folks can upturn or go against an order too
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Adaeze003(f): 1:21pm On Feb 10, 2016
I personally don't need a law to tell me I'm equal with men unless of course there's a law that states that men are superior... Anyone?

But it's a good move anyway... It'll definitely come back better defined...

1 Like

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Okijajuju1(m): 1:51pm On Feb 10, 2016
cheruv:

This post is biggest insult to Igbo women!!
Anyway only fish brained Igbo women would take whatever this poster seriously... Real Igbo women know their mettle.

As per the issue at hand,I support the lawmakers bkos this feminism of a thing would one day destroy Igboland if its allowed to creep in. Chukwu Okike made the females as helpmates, and for 4000years this practice instituted by Chukwu Okike himself has never been altered and it'd not start now!

Slavery was both backed by biblical passages and remained unchanged for many years until people like Rosa Parks and Martin Luther took a stand.

Just because you have been practicing something for 400 years does not make it right.

All Men and Women are equal under the law and should have access to the same opportunities without discrimination.

3 Likes

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by jacoik(m): 1:54pm On Feb 10, 2016
chynie:
i no read am

what are they saaying
dem say Nkechi n Emeka should b doing tins equally , even d way wey Emeka dey weewee na so nk too go do, dem even say man go start to dey observe him period now. are u OK?
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Mamatee07: 2:12pm On Feb 10, 2016
lastpage:

Women have been more cunning than men, from the time of Adam!
Even worse, some foolish men, so ignorantly, think they are fighting the "cause of women" as a "weaker shex", when in reality, they are being "used and dumped", for emasculating their fellow men.

Its so strange and funny that "some men" could be this unintelligent
!
grin grin
But such is Life, even Biblical Adam proved that men are weaker (emotionally,) than women and women use this weakness to their advantage! grin

It is also strange that in the "Western Countries" we are trying to copy, they are beginning to realise their mistake and are redressing some of these laws!
For example, "Equality Laws" have been used to prevent Men from seeing their children, if the parents are unmarried. It has been used to allow a woman terminate Pregnancy, without the consent of her man/husband, by claiming it's her body!
Now, Western countries are seein gthe injustice they met on the menfolk and trying to correct it.

Yet ,here we are in Africa, we are trying to swallow the bait, hook, line and sinker, in 2016!
grin grin

Anyway, "Water has a way of finding its level, it is only those whose houses are low-lying. that would have to pay the price first". undecided undecided wink

Lastpage!

The whole idea of the laws is to tailor it to the society, so there is no reason why they can't pass gender equality laws and stipulate things. Non gender discrimination will not negate the custody and divorce laws a long as they don't discriminate based on sex. It's about the fact the no one should be discriminated against in anything because of their sex. I've seen landlords say they won't rent out to single women, can you imagine such in 2016. Custody laws and divorce laws are separate from that. The ignorance you are displaying by thinking once non discrimination is In place that would mean women can keep kids away from men and such Is the same myopia disturbing those men but they should know better as law makers.

2 Likes

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by chynie: 2:14pm On Feb 10, 2016
jacoik:
dem say Nkechi n Emeka should b doing tins equally , even d way wey Emeka dey weewee na so nk too go do, dem even say man go start to dey observe him period now. are u OK?

Pls will Emeka n nk wee same place grin

If yes

I concur
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Nobody: 2:26pm On Feb 10, 2016
Vyolet:
If this were to be in the north... undecided lipsrsealed

The Igbos truly need this gender equality law, especially on issue of inheritance.
I can't imagine my father's brother taking over his possessions all cos I'm a girl.
my dear,this archaic custom need to be scrapped.
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by lastpage: 2:34pm On Feb 10, 2016
Adaeze003:
I personally don't need a law to tell me I'm equal with men unless of course there's a law that states that men are superior... Anyone?

But it's a good move anyway... It'll definitely come back better defined...

GBAM!

This is the rule of "Ab initio" in this matter!

You should not legislate on a problem that does not exist 'ab initio!

WOMEN and MEN have ALWAYS BEEN EQUAL.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by amacastel: 2:42pm On Feb 10, 2016
DiademSh07:

Not just in Enugu!
Out tenant is an Anambra man! That man beats his wife daily. Never have I seen a man that nags like him before!
Majority of Ibo men are not desirable! No wonder their girls flee from them!

Enugu and ebonyi men are worse that's why we r called wawa if ur husband beats u ur brothers will see it as a normal thing. Check out chimaroke, Sullivan chime are all their ex govs yet they beat their wives and subject them to trauma.

2 Likes

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Wolfbrother(m): 3:15pm On Feb 10, 2016
yjgm:
Really unafrican. God created us man and woman with clear distinctions. We can't be equal.

Yet there are several women that have accomplished more than you and your pen*is will ever accomplish in 5 lifetimes .FOH. undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by cheruv: 3:38pm On Feb 10, 2016
Okijajuju1:

Slavery was both backed by biblical passages and remained unchanged for many years until people like Rosa Parks and Martin Luther took a stand.

Just because you have been practicing something for 400 years does not make it right.

All Men and Women are equal under the law and should have access to the same opportunities without discrimination.
You're simply using the issue to whip up tribal animosities and am not falling for that. Igbo cultural values like I said is 4000years old and its been very efficacious in maintaining the social fabrik of Igbo society.
Say whatever you like.. Shout from now till Yeshua comes again but nothing would change. The basis of Igbo society is marriage and I'd not be a party to a group masquerading under the umbrella of bastardized Western values to wreck damage to our social fabrik!
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by jacoik(m): 3:49pm On Feb 10, 2016
chynie:

Pls will Emeka n nk wee same place grin
If yes
I concur
lolhahaha u c ur life? na bad bad tins full dat mind
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Yampotatocarrot(m): 4:14pm On Feb 10, 2016
B4 we start criticising, let's ask some questions: Is there a law that says men r superior? Is there a law that relegates women's activities or posts they can hold? Someone will come here n spew d civilisation rubbish..... In d white countries, women r treated better than men, is that gender equality? They have better health care packages than men... Is that equality? They r first considered for jobs..... Z that equality? If u n woman fight, they'll treat ur fuckup cos u r a man,.... Z that equality? So anyone proposing a gender equality bill should know that ITS NOT N CAN NEVER BE POSSIBLE...... cos one sex will always have d upper hand n in d case of d Western countries, d women have d upper hand, so its reasonable that why we don't make laws that reduce their value, we men should have d upper hand in African culture.
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by chynie: 4:48pm On Feb 10, 2016
jacoik:
lolhahaha u c ur life? na bad bad tins full dat mind
I support gender equality
We go dey sleep and bath same place
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by holysina(m): 4:49pm On Feb 10, 2016
I support it, now in south Africa because of the equal right most women wants to start taking second husband. Africans can abuse any opportunity, before one day i will get married and my wife will want to take a second husband based on equal right. equal right ni equal left ko
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 10, 2016
That law is about population control.
Thrash it sharply
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Mrjo(m): 5:17pm On Feb 10, 2016
whytet01:
God punish and destroy those lawmakers who are against it..
check very well God did nt create man and woman equal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Peace Corps: "We Only Lobbied Senators, We Didn’t Bribe Them" / Oba Akiolu: Obasanjo Is The Number One Troublemaker In This Country / Atiku, PDP Urge Supreme Court To Grant Them Access To INEC Server

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.