Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:52 AM

Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? (27443 Views)

Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know / Happy Ash Wednesday / Happy Ash Wednesday. What Are Your Plans This Lent Period?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Nobody: 7:37am On Feb 11, 2016
julioralph:

you might want to look up the meaning of abstinence.

You might want to add the word absolute to your abstinence. You dont eat meat but you eat fish physically getting the same nutritional value and you are talking about abstinence.
What you are doing is a ritual as contained on your canon and not of God.
What makes it a sin is because you condemn others who do not observe what you observe based on reasons raised by the sin ladden fathers who gave you your cannons.
Men who have chosen to entrench themselves as God on earth to all of you.

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by emmyw(m): 7:46am On Feb 11, 2016
dsylvo:

hmm. ..... so what's d communion they take all about??
Please read my comment again bro.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by glossy6(f): 8:01am On Feb 11, 2016
Melkizedek:
King James Bible
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days :1st corinthians 2:16

King James Bible
Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him...romans 14:3

the Word is clear..if you eat meat, it is no sin because all meat created by God is clean for consumption..if you abstain from meat for some religious reasons, you have not sinned either..neither should condemn each other..but if you do any of those (eating or not eating) without conviction in your spirit, then you have wronged yourself which is sin..

Very beautiful!

#proudly Catholic

2 Likes

Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by antispexish(m): 11:33am On Feb 11, 2016
Empredboy:
please it was not because Christ died on Friday. This was the explanation we were told when we were young cos the teacher knew our iq was low but if u tell a pentecostal what u said it will be a mockery of the church. Lent =fasten + abstinence. Unlike pentecostal who only do fasting. Why Catholic added abstinence is because of those who can't fast as u know that we all are all member of the body called Christ
I believe the church told vegetarians to abstain from carrots in those days right!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by antispexish(m): 11:36am On Feb 11, 2016
IkehAda:
Hello my fellow Christian.....the meat we don't eat on dis everydays is to abstain from the flesh.Plz nobody is been brained wash or don't know their chirst faith.........

Ok na, the church partake of the flesh on other days
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Empredboy(m): 11:51am On Feb 11, 2016
antispexish:

I believe the church told vegetarians to abstain from carrots in those days right!!!
my question for you, what is our major target in this life? I guess it's to be holy irrespective of where u worship because God won't Judge us base on our religion or beliefs using the story of the good samaritan as an example. So bros if Catholic like let them not eat meat, bow to idols but most important thing is the love of God and his fellow humans. Do you love our neighbors as ur self? That should be ur concern.

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by antispexish(m): 12:12pm On Feb 11, 2016
Empredboy:
my question for you, what is our major target in this life? I guess it's to be holy irrespective of where u worship because God won't Judge us base on our religion or beliefs using the story of the good samaritan as an example. So bros if Catholic like let them not eat meat, bow to idols but most important thing is the love of God and his fellow humans. Do you love our neighbors as ur self? That should be ur concern.

You answered the question you asked. Now lemme ask you, I'm I being unholy as a catholic if I eat meat on ash Wednesday?
Holiness is now being determined by religion instead of the bible.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Empredboy(m): 12:23pm On Feb 11, 2016
antispexish:

You answered the question you asked. Now lemme ask you, I'm I being unholy as a catholic if I eat meat on ash Wednesday?
Holiness is now being determined by religion instead of the bible.
it's not God's law but the church so it's not a sin, but from ur statement, can you show me where it's written that Bible is the only thing to perfection? Secondly remember the story of the good samaritan.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Themandator: 3:17pm On Feb 11, 2016
emmyw:
The reason why Catholics not being allowed to eat meat on Fridays during Lent is to remind the faithful that Jesus died on a Friday. Jesus gave up His body (His flesh), and Catholics, in an effort to attain greater communion with Christ, refrain from consuming flesh.

It is then a religion not Christianity since it has no biblical basis
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Themandator: 4:14pm On Feb 11, 2016
julioralph:

shuo shocked shocked shocked na wa for you ooo.

you keep quoting the bible out of context.

now tell me, do u fast or not and does it bring u closer to God or not

even prayer, alms giving and abstinence (the other parts of lent) brings us closer to God.

2ndly about the last supper u mentioned, do you pentecostals truly believe that the holy communion u guys receive in ur church is the body of christ because we Catholics do.

Yes. We do believe it is the body and blood of Christ. Even more than you guys because ours is accompanied by serious teachings that births understanding.. that is the reason it is compulsory to receive both as Jesus Christ instructed and not one substituting for both.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by julioralph(m): 4:23pm On Feb 11, 2016
Themandator:

Yes. We do believe it is the body and blood of Christ. Even more than you guys because ours is accompanied by serious teachings that births understanding.. that is the reason it is compulsory to receive both as Jesus Christ instructed and not one substituting for both.
the flesh can not be separated from the blood. so taking one of the sacred species (due to the large crowd present in church) is not wrong.

so u guys now believe that holy communion is indeed the body of christ? dats gud. cause wen I small, many yrs back, most pentecostals only say nasty tins about it.... nowadays seems like u guys now 'chop' communion more than catholics grin
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by julioralph(m): 4:30pm On Feb 11, 2016
naijadeyhia2:

You might want to add the word absolute to your abstinence. You dont eat meat but you eat fish physically getting the same nutritional value and you are talking about abstinence.
What you are doing is a ritual as contained on your canon and not of God.
What makes it a sin is because you condemn others who do not observe what you observe based on reasons raised by the sin ladden fathers who gave you your cannons.
Men who have chosen to entrench themselves as God on earth to all of you.
the catholic canon is based on the bible and sacred traditions of the early church.

you really surprise me, is it not ur pastors and G.O's who have turned themselves into ''god of men''

and what do you mean by sin ladden fathers (for every 12, theres always a Judas) but u can never compare d level of piety and holiness of a priest to ur tithe collecting folks,, perhaps sin ladden G.O's (who tell u to pay 1k for watchnite service etc lipsrsealed) wud be more appropriate in dis case!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by julioralph(m): 4:32pm On Feb 11, 2016
Mcowubaba:

Not all oooo shocked
ok boss, no vex sir. wink
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by julioralph(m): 4:41pm On Feb 11, 2016
pek:
Do you? You are the one that haven't answered my question. I repeat , what is biblical basis for not eating meat on a particular day? References to the Bible please.
undecided undecided undecided you're quite smart at turning pples ques against dem sha undecided perhaps u nid to read all d mentions we had earlier again.

like someone explained up there, it started in d early church... cause meat was so plentiful in d roman empire, so its onlt logical to avoid eating what u love most on d day u start fasting!!!

THE PROBLEM I HAVE WITH U 'SHOW ME IN THE BIBLE CREW' IS THAT U GUYS NOW USE IT TO SIN AND DEN HIDE BEHIND THE BIBLE!!! JUST LIKE THE 'PASTOR/G.O' WHO SAID DAT WANKING IS NOT A SIN sad shocked shocked BECAUSE THAT PARTICULAR WORD WAS NOT MENTIONED IN THE BIBLE embarassed AV EVEN HEARD OF GIRLS WHO USE IT TO EXPLAIN AWAY THEIR NUMEROUS ABORTIONS embarassed

may God have mercy on his church. do what works for you my friend, and I'll do mine... on judgement day explain yourself to God and I'll do likewise....

#Let the eagle perch and let the kite perch on the same tree... and whosoever doesn't want the other to perch, may its wings break off>>>Achebe cheesy

#Peace...am outta here. smiley
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Themandator: 4:42pm On Feb 11, 2016
julioralph:

the flesh can not be separated from the blood. so taking one of the sacred species (due to the large crowd present in church) is not wrong.

so u guys now believe that holy communion is indeed the body of christ? dats gud. cause wen I small, many yrs back, most pentecostals only say nasty tins about it.... nowadays seems like u guys now 'chop' communion more than catholics grin

The very day winners came into existence was when it adopted the communion, blood of sprinkling as part of her teachings and mystery.... As for large congregation, none compares to winners....it has the largest church auditorium in the world and Nigeria, the largest church in Northern Nigeria is winners Kaduna and Abuja, Warri, Benin etc... and yet it is available in the manner prescribe by Jesus Christ.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Themandator: 4:42pm On Feb 11, 2016
julioralph:

When you meet with Christ tell him that the flesh can't be separated from the blood

The very day winners came into existence was when it adopted the communion, blood of sprinkling as part of her teachings and mystery.... As for large congregation, none compares to winners....it has the largest church auditorium in the world and Nigeria, the largest church in Northern Nigeria is winners Kaduna and Abuja, Warri, Benin etc... and yet it is available in the manner prescribe by Jesus Christ.... No excuse is good enough for disobedience to instruction
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by julioralph(m): 5:38pm On Feb 11, 2016
Themandator:

When you meet with Christ tell him that the flesh can't be separated from the blood

The very day winners came into existence was when it adopted the communion, blood of sprinkling as part of her teachings and mystery.... As for large congregation, none compares to winners....it has the largest church auditorium in the world and Nigeria, the largest church in Northern Nigeria is winners Kaduna and Abuja, Warri, Benin etc... and yet it is available in the manner prescribe by Jesus Christ.... No excuse is good enough for disobedience to instruction
Oga I don hear now.. no nid to mention twice.

if u observe carefully the complete species (bread and wine) are always used during Mass, so what are we saying

alot of u guys simply copy tins u dont like/know or understand in order to win more members (not necessarily souls)

I used to have a boss, an ex cath who attends winners and luvs mocking caths... so I asked him d same ques I asked above, n said ur communion is simply some kind of special bread, nt d body of christ!!!

btw, why does ur G.O have such an INTENSE HATRED FOR CATHOLICS without LOVE one can make heaven o, even if people hail u to d highest
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by antispexish(m): 6:50pm On Feb 11, 2016
Empredboy:
it's not God's law but the church so it's not a sin, but from ur statement, can you show me where it's written that Bible is the only thing to perfection? Secondly remember the story of the good samaritan.
I think u will find that in 2 ti chapter 3 verse something!
What has the good samarithan got to do with eating meat.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by antispexish(m): 6:56pm On Feb 11, 2016
julioralph:

undecided undecided undecided you're quite smart at turning pples ques against dem sha undecided perhaps u nid to read all d mentions we had earlier again.

like someone explained up there, it started in d early church... cause meat was so plentiful in d roman empire, so its onlt logical to avoid eating what u love most on d day u start fasting!!!

THE PROBLEM I HAVE WITH U 'SHOW ME IN THE BIBLE CREW' IS THAT U GUYS NOW USE IT TO SIN AND DEN HIDE BEHIND THE BIBLE!!! JUST LIKE THE 'PASTOR/G.O' WHO SAID DAT WANKING IS NOT A SIN sad shocked shocked BECAUSE THAT PARTICULAR WORD WAS NOT MENTIONED IN THE BIBLE embarassed AV EVEN HEARD OF GIRLS WHO USE IT TO EXPLAIN AWAY THEIR NUMEROUS ABORTIONS embarassed

may God have mercy on his church. do what works for you my friend, and I'll do mine... on judgement day explain yourself to God and I'll do likewise....

#Let the eagle perch and let the kite perch on the same tree... and whosoever doesn't want the other to perch, may its wings break off>>>Achebe cheesy

#Peace...am outta here. smiley

Wanking na sin?
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Themandator: 7:00pm On Feb 11, 2016
julioralph:

Oga I don hear now.. no nid to mention twice.

if u observe carefully the complete species (bread and wine) are always used during Mass, so what are we saying

alot of u guys simply copy tins u dont like/know or understand in order to win more members (not necessarily souls)

I used to have a boss, an ex cath who attends winners and luvs mocking caths... so I asked him d same ques I asked above, n said ur communion is simply some kind of special bread, nt d body of christ!!!

btw, why does ur G.O have such an INTENSE HATRED FOR CATHOLICS without LOVE one can make heaven o, even if people hail u to d highest

It is not whether both are present during mass but whether you partake of both during the mass.

There is no special bread and blood for the purpose of communion..... Jesus used the available bread during their dinner and disabuse your mind that there a corner in rome where your own communion is extracted from the body of Jesus.... I used to think so as a Catholic .... It is waffer and in your own case, an alcoholic wine that the priest gulps.

You are deluded to reckon that you know more about the communion than a winner who has done his or her basic Bible certificate course ... BCC

If you have any evidence of Bishop Oyedepo hating on the Catholic church leave the link here..... The man says he was not called to debate religion but to teach the gospel of liberation undiluted.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by suskyannie(f): 7:02pm On Feb 11, 2016
Fasting from meat on ash Wednesday n good Friday is a form of self mortification and sacrifice made to join in the suffering of Christ during lent. It's not just meat you can fast from you can fast from certain foods you really enjoy as a form of sacrifice in union with Christ.

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Themandator: 7:09pm On Feb 11, 2016
antispexish:

2 Tim 3v 15-17
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by antispexish(m): 7:13pm On Feb 11, 2016
Themandator:

2 Tim 3v 15-17

I thank you jare

I dnt even think God will appreciate such sacrifice if one specifically abstain from eating meat cus he was specifically ordered to by humans

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by julioralph(m): 7:39pm On Feb 11, 2016
Themandator:

It is not whether both are present during mass but whether you partake of both during the mass.

There is no special bread and blood for the purpose of communion..... Jesus used the available bread during their dinner and disabuse your mind that there a corner in rome where your own communion is extracted from the body of Jesus.... I used to think so as a Catholic .... It is waffer and in your own case, an alcoholic wine that the priest gulps.

You are deluded to reckon that you know more about the communion than a winner who has done his or her basic Bible certificate course ... BCC

If you have any evidence of Bishop Oyedepo hating on the Catholic church leave the link here..... The man says he was not called to debate religion but to teach the gospel of liberation undiluted.
smiley smiley smiley u see now.. u don vex because of ur G.O even insulting me as u can see I mentioned bread and wine up there. calling it wafer is still correct (unleavened bread etc) it is manufactured of course, and d wine is a little alcholic (perfect replica of what christ did) so we are on same page concerning d source of the communion.
as for ur G.O Caths who work or schl in his schl have lots of tales to tell #Peace smiley
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by julioralph(m): 7:41pm On Feb 11, 2016
antispexish:

Wanking na sin?
yes bro. embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Themandator: 8:12pm On Feb 11, 2016
julioralph:

smiley smiley smiley u see now.. u don vex because of ur G.O even insulting me as u can see I mentioned bread and wine up there. calling it wafer is still correct (unleavened bread etc) it is manufactured of course, and d wine is a little alcholic (perfect replica of what christ did) so we are on same page concerning d source of the communion.
as for ur G.O Caths who work or schl in his schl have lots of tales to tell #Peace smiley

This is an extract from your earlier post .....n said ur communion is simply some kind of special bread, nt d body of christ!!!.........

The Catholics who have this first hand experience of his hatred should be bold enough to come out.... It takes only a smart phone to do so..... The man is too engage for frivolities
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by julioralph(m): 8:33pm On Feb 11, 2016
Themandator:

This is an extract from your earlier post .....n said ur communion is simply some kind of special bread, nt d body of christ!!!.........

The Catholics who have this first hand experience of his hatred should be bold enough to come out.... It takes only a smart phone to do so..... The man is too engage for frivolities
u clearly hav issues comprehending tins dont u? my earlier post was abt ur church member who told me dat its just a special bread (after ur GO/pastor must hav prayed over it) whereas catholics beliv in transubstantiation (after d priest prays d prayer of consecration, it therefore becomes d body of christ).

as for ur GO I wish him well. but hw can several persons with much less qualifications n experience be elevated above you simply because u dont attend d owners church dats bad. many pentecostals work in cath schls, Hospitals etc n dey get promoted above their cath colleagues (if they hav d required experience n degrees)

peace be unto you. smiley
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Empredboy(m): 9:17pm On Feb 11, 2016
antispexish:

I said eating meat or not has nothing to do with Christianity but our relationship with God. The story of the good samaritan is that you people claim u love God like the Jews but the samaritan who is a sinner.... I beg read the story afterall you people attend the "Bible believing churches" abi u no dey read ur nine?

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Themandator: 7:51am On Feb 12, 2016
julioralph:

u clearly hav issues comprehending tins dont u? my earlier post was abt ur church member who told me dat its just a special bread (after ur GO/pastor must hav prayed over it) whereas catholics beliv in transubstantiation (after d priest prays d prayer of consecration, it therefore becomes d body of christ).

as for ur GO I wish him well. but hw can several persons with much less qualifications n experience be elevated above you simply because u dont attend d owners church dats bad. many pentecostals work in cath schls, Hospitals etc n dey get promoted above their cath colleagues (if they hav d required experience n degrees)

peace be unto you. smiley

The fault is in your sentence construction...... I used to have a boss, an ex cath who attends winners and luvs mocking caths... so I asked him d same ques I asked above, n said ur communion is simply some kind of special bread, nt d body of christ!!!......it needed and he said.

Maybe your boss wasn't explicit enough just like your statement wasn't clear enough...... Every bonafide winners not fans of winners but disciples knows the mystery of the communion and there is a book titled the communion table that explains the power content of the communion written by Mrs Oyedepo.....

You statement on Oyedepo was that he hates catholics not how the winners schools are administered in favour of the members of the church..... That they promote the members isn't a proof of hatred.

If your statement is true then those persons have options..... Their phone and nairaland being one.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by antispexish(m): 11:46am On Feb 12, 2016
julioralph:
yes bro. embarassed embarassed embarassed
What's wanking to you and how is it a sin.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by antispexish(m): 11:55am On Feb 12, 2016
Empredboy:
I said eating meat or not has nothing to do with Christianity but our relationship with God. The story of the good samaritan is that you people claim u love God like the Jews but the samaritan who is a sinner.... I beg read the story afterall you people attend the "Bible believing churches" abi u no dey read ur nine?

To me o, a forced practise that has nothing to do with christianity cannot enhance your relationship with God. There is a passage in the bible where jesus accused the pharissess of adding extra things to the law. This law on meat is close to what those guys did then.

Abeg which God are you saying I claimed to love o, which people are you talking about .
Dnt see any thing that links good samaritan with the eating of meat.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by julioralph(m): 3:00pm On Feb 12, 2016
antispexish:

What's wanking to you and how is it a sin.
carry on bros undecided

whenever u do d deed... who/what do u think about ? ur pastor or the bible quotations u dropped up there or sexual thoughts

look my friend, I wish u well, explain urself to God on Judgement day, if ure right u'll end up in heaven, if not...... lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Grace Testimony From Nigeria : Protected From Armed Robbery / Is Wet Dream A Sin? / Escoba Smith Gifts Pastor 2018 Toyota Landcruiser (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.