Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,961 members, 7,814,255 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

We Want To Remove All Ambiguities In 2016 Budget – NASS FEBRUARY 10TH, 2016 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Want To Remove All Ambiguities In 2016 Budget – NASS FEBRUARY 10TH, 2016 (384 Views)

Federal Govt. To Remove All Pockets From The Police Uniform / Budget: NASS To Override Buhari / People Working For Buhari Are Lying About 2016 Budget — NASS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Want To Remove All Ambiguities In 2016 Budget – NASS FEBRUARY 10TH, 2016 by WatchdogNews: 11:48am On Feb 10, 2016
Both upper and lower arms of the National Assembly (NASS) have declared that the 2016 budget was full of errors, saying the document could no longer be passed on February 25.
The development occurred on the same day the N200 million allocation demanded by the Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources in the budget for the treatment of Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB), along with another N200 million for a review of Nigeria Gas Master Plan was rejected by the Senate Committee on Gas Resources.
Disclosing this at a meeting, Senate Committee Chairman on Appropriation, Senator Danjuma Goje and another House of Representatives member, Jibrin Abdulmumin, said the budget was filled with too many errors, which has made it impossible for it to be passed.
“We are here in connection with the ongoing processing of the 2016 Budget because these two committees are the ones saddled with the production of the final copies of the budget that would be passed by the National Assembly for onward submission to Mr President for his assent and subsequent implementation.”, Goje stated.
“We want to remove all ambiguities, we want to remove all paddings. We want to produce a budget that is in line with the constitutional provision. During the budget defence, a lot of issues based on the padding of the budget, arising from over-bloated overheads and in some instances cases of over-bloated personnel cost.”

for more news:click http://watchdognews.net/we-want-to-remove-all-ambiguities-in-2016-budget-nass-2/
Re: We Want To Remove All Ambiguities In 2016 Budget – NASS FEBRUARY 10TH, 2016 by pacino26(m): 11:52am On Feb 10, 2016
Hold on,

Unless you want them to edit the spreadsheet again. This time with very large errors. Fact is budget comes from having plans abd future forecast. So far what we've seen is just ministries submitting line items for procurement at inflated prices.

I now propose we revert to the allowable mark-up and harmonize procurement or at least the prices. One of the few ways to start.

1 Like

Re: We Want To Remove All Ambiguities In 2016 Budget – NASS FEBRUARY 10TH, 2016 by Justiyke4u: 11:56am On Feb 10, 2016
This budget issue should be solved once and for all

1 Like

Re: We Want To Remove All Ambiguities In 2016 Budget – NASS FEBRUARY 10TH, 2016 by 9jatriot(m): 12:07pm On Feb 10, 2016
We are all okay with that.
At least in this acclaimed era of change, things must be done correctly. I know that the ministries thought it was business as usual and put in spurious elements into the budget. This is an opportunity to clean up elements that have no business been there. No ministry can keep coming every year to claim they are buying computers, software and furniture every year at exorbitant rates and annually. These items are not perishable, if they got away with it in previous years does not mean they can get away with it now.

I understand that the budget has embarrassed the government of the day, but they should take it in their strides and move on. I am even glad they accepted the feedback from Nigerians and even turned the criticism of the opposition into an opportunity to clean up the budget. I was actually glad that the minister for health rejected the outrageous budget presented earlier, it took courage not to try and defend the errors there in.

If we get it right in 2016, it will now serve as template for upcoming budgets. This will lead to better efficiency in budgeting and inorder to prevent more errors, they will be better in-house scrutiny by the government.

I salute the courage of APC to allow public scrutiny of their budget presentation. They did what other governments are scared of doing. But the criticism actually provided a free way for the government to see the errors and loop holes in the budget. PDP really did APC a favour with their criticism without knowing it.

1 Like

Re: We Want To Remove All Ambiguities In 2016 Budget – NASS FEBRUARY 10TH, 2016 by surestakes: 12:30pm On Feb 10, 2016
To refer to these people as clueless will seem like a compliment. And an insult to GEJ undecided

1 Like

Re: We Want To Remove All Ambiguities In 2016 Budget – NASS FEBRUARY 10TH, 2016 by LordAdam: 12:45pm On Feb 10, 2016
9jatriot:
We are all okay with that.
At least in this acclaimed era of change, things must be done correctly. I know that the ministries thought it was business as usual and put in spurious elements into the budget. This is an opportunity to clean up elements that have no business been there. No ministry can keep coming every year to claim they are buying computers, software and furniture every year at exorbitant rates and annually. These items are not perishable, if they got away with it in previous years does not mean they can get away with it now.

I understand that the budget has embarrassed the government of the day, but they should take it in their strides and move on. I am even glad they accepted the feedback from Nigerians and even turned the criticism of the opposition into an opportunity to clean up the budget. I was actually glad that the minister for health rejected the outrageous budget presented earlier, it took courage not to try and defend the errors there in.

If we get it right in 2016, it will now serve as template for upcoming budgets. This will lead to better efficiency in budgeting and inorder to prevent more errors, they will be better in-house scrutiny by the government.

I salute the courage of APC to allow public scrutiny of their budget presentation. They did what other governments are scared of doing. But the criticism actually provided a free way for the government to see the errors and loop holes in the budget. PDP really did APC a favour with their criticism without knowing it.

Do not make APC look like Heroes. Why did PMB and his band of sophisticated thieves not scrutinize the budget before submitting it to NASS?

Let us assume it was an honest mistake. So after stealing and officially withdrawing the budget, why did they not scrutinize it well before submitting the edited budget the second time.

When you make a mistake once, you can be excused. When you make the same mistake again, it proves you are stupid.

NASS is only taking this position because of the Saraki suit.

And BTW, APC is not accepting public criticism. Nigerians have no input on the budget, only the NASS legislators can. Until they provide a public comment box on the budget all their parade is based on DECEIT AND PURE 100% VALIDATED SCAM.

WIZARDS AND WITCHES WITH BROOMS!!!

-Lord
Re: We Want To Remove All Ambiguities In 2016 Budget – NASS FEBRUARY 10TH, 2016 by 9jatriot(m): 1:20pm On Feb 10, 2016
PMB and his government should take responsibility for the errors however, you and I know that civil servants receive salaries to ensure errors like these are minimised. No CEO anywhere in the world does a line by line checks of budgets that is why they have subordinates.
From the reports we are getting the level of scrutiny required for that budget may require starting afresh, but all hope is not lost, it can still be savaged, so stealing or withdrawing the budget could not have added anything.

Please give it to APC on this one, there has been no disgraceful defence of the budget, they have even acknowledge errors on the budget. Your claim that they did not put it up for scrutiny is false because I understand the budget office has put it on their website so that critics like you and help identify the errors and avoid pitfalls. Those who have being hiding some items in the budget will get caught this time by using the powers of a large number of free critics showing the errors, a situation the civil servants who caused the errors in the first place would never have achieved. This is embarrassing for Nigerians and the government, but the fact that they swallowed their pride has impressed me.

as per Saraki doing this to spite the government, well am not in the government and do not care as long as the spite benefits Nigerians and common men then they can spite and spit for all I care.

LordAdam:

Do not make APC look like Heroes. Why did PMB and his band of sophisticated thieves not scrutinize the budget before submitting it to NASS?

Let us assume it was an honest mistake. So after stealing and officially withdrawing the budget, why did they not scrutinize it well before submitting the edited budget the second time.

When you make a mistake once, you can be excused. When you make the same mistake again, it proves you are stupid.

NASS is only taking this position because of the Saraki suit.

And BTW, APC is not accepting public criticism. Nigerians have no input on the budget, only the NASS legislators can. Until they provide a public comment box on the budget all their parade is based on DECEIT AND PURE 100% VALIDATED SCAM.

WIZARDS AND WITCHES WITH BROOMS!!!

-Lord

(1) (Reply)

Conspiracy-why Is Twitter Orubebe Not On Front Page / We Cannot Afford To Fail, Says Buhari / 2016 Budget: Auditor-general Disagrees With Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.