Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,127 members, 7,811,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:26 AM

Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 (56691 Views)

Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 / Hierarchy Of Yoruba Obas As Of 1920 / Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Gamesmart: 11:45am On Feb 12, 2016
APCcrimes:
LOLzzzzzz

I never knew yorubas like binis like this o..

hehehehe..See wailers at the top trying to grab binis to their side...

FYI, my mum is Benin and she does not in any way look like Yoruba...Even in Benin, the Yorubas are like aliens.. The igbos are seen more like family than the yorubas... My cousins, uncles, aunt from my mum's side don't have any atom or trace of yorubish...

The Binis are Binis. Yorubas should mind their lane!

That is just laughable rubbish.

Even many of the Aniomas (who are closer to Igboland) refuse to be seen as family with Igbos, it is the Binis that will see them as family?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 11:53am On Feb 12, 2016
AreaFada2:

Nothing twisted. All verifiable stuff from daily activities, ceremonies, etc.

From about 1169, sure by Oranmiyan & Eweka. That is settled and common history/knowledge in Benin.

Also that the father of Oranmiyan was Benin prince Ekaladerhan that became Imadoduwa/Izoduwa in Ife.

That was the only reason Oranmiyan was requested to come to Benin.

This has happened more recently too. In 1714, British parliament requested Elector of Hannover, George to become King of England after death of heirless Queen Anne. George was a German relative (and protestant as Catholics were & still forbidden to be King/Queen of England) of English royal family. George spoke only German. Hence he appointed a chief minister (Robert Walpole) to run England while the king mostly stayed in Germany. That chief minister became the British prime minister we all know today.
There are many other examples.

If you read wide and travel wide, it makes you understand yourself and your history better. Our ancestors were far smarter, political, intriguing & organised than we believe today.

We hav told you to look for you lost prince in.the lost city of.the Atlantis.

The father of Oduduwa (Odu to da Iwa) is Lamurudu. He is not your lost son that followed a beautiful mermaid to under the water.

Your ancestors saw a peaceful and thriving nation an they sent a SOS message for us to help your chaotic and tumultuous empire. We sent Oranmiyan, which gave birth to Eweka the father of the current ruling dynasty in Benin.

We are not saying Benin people are Yorubas. Get it right.

But your crown throne and title are ours. That is an undeniable fact.

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by oodua1stson: 11:54am On Feb 12, 2016
Jesusloveyou:
every tribe and language under benin empire before d coming of d white, is to maintain their distict language and culture. ondo and ekiti were already speaking yoruba, agbon, ika and delta igbos speak their language, benin does not like to force their language on any tribe that is why is an empire, not just a kingdom
ok. I agree with you. But why do Bini people have Yoruba names? Why don't Yoruba people have Bini names?

Remember Alexander the great conquered Egypt and till today there is a city in Egypt with the name Alexander

The English conquered our country that's why we have people here with English names.

If truly the Bini conquered Yoruba land, why don't we have their names? And why do they have our names?

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by AreaFada2: 12:00pm On Feb 12, 2016
Jesusloveyou:
every tribe and language under benin empire before d coming of d white, is to maintain their distict language and culture. ondo and ekiti were already speaking yoruba, agbon, ika and delta igbos speak their language, benin does not like to force their language on any tribe that is why is an empire, not just a kingdom

Well, that makes Benin's achievement more fascinating. First, it was by sheer organisation, a bit like small Rome did, to have an empire as Benin did. Benin didn't have a large population. So needed provincial citizens and paid mercenaries to fight wars.

Europeans of that time recorded that Benin could easily raise 100,000 soldiers for war, no mean feat. Therefore, there were notable Igbo, Esan, Urhobo military leaders in Benin army. The seafarers (Ozigue) who transported goods and soldiers through rivers, Atlantic Ocean and lagoons were Ijaw citizens of the empire.

In fact, establishing Eko Colony of Lagos would have been very difficult. Reaching Cotonou, Lome & Accra would have been near impossible without the Ijaw. So arrived modern Ga people in Osu area of Accra. I'm yet to see any educated/enlightened Ga person in real life who disputes this, including my in-laws.

It was an imperial effort, with different tribes. Nobody was forced to speak Edo/Benin language, people had freedom.

Take for example, Benin was always conscious of low population. Several means were used to prevent migration from Benin. Like facial marks, body tattoos.

Also today, we hear of Yoruba in Cuba, Brazil, etc. But no Benin. Reason is only very few Benin ever fell into slavery. It was forbidden to sell a Benin person,buy or for a Benin person to partake in slave trade.

Records of European slave buyers show that.......along the slave trade route to the River Port of Gwatto/Ughoton, displayed slaves and their sellers were NEVER BENIN.
In fact the Oba had to reluctantly allow nobles/businessmen in non-Edo provinces of the empire to sell and buy their own people. Just to avoid rebellion from those elite.

People from former vassal lands angrily dismiss this. That Benin sold slaves. BUT luckily about two years ago, here on Nairaland, someone posted detailed European records of sold and bought slaves from Africa, origin & slave destination. BENIN WAS CONSPICUOUSLY absent as place bought from. grin cheesy

These measures were to allow population to grow. Edo needed men & women for imperial expansion.

If we had written language and schools, the language could have spread easily.

3 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by bllaster: 12:03pm On Feb 12, 2016
oodua1stson:
ok. I agree with you. But why do Bini people have Yoruba names? Why don't Yoruba people have Bini names?

Remember Alexander the great conquered Egypt and till today there is a city in Egypt with the name Alexander

The English conquered our country that's why we have people here with English names.

If truly the Bini conquered Yoruba land, why don't we have their names? And why do they have our names?

SHUT UP.
If you claim lamurudu is from mecca then why dont yoruba have same culture with saudi arabia.
Im aware islam was brought to you people by your fulani masters.
Are you saying its ok for the king of saudi to wake up one day and claim all yoruba throne?
Just let this matter lie. Even the bible and quran speak of same history in slightly different way.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by naijaboiy: 12:05pm On Feb 12, 2016
oodua1stson:
if ipob kid is not your name then why did you come around to insult him?
Because he threw the first punch.

Are you that blind to notice? undecided
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by cliffbecks: 12:07pm On Feb 12, 2016
Super1Star:

You can control from Benin to Cameroon, we care less.

Your language or culture have no influence on anywhere from Ore to Lome, whereas Yoruba has. Why is your language not spoken or your culture adopted?

For all our conquered territories, they adopt our language and culture. Classical examples are the Eguns, a subset of the Ewes.

Name a place where your language is spoken outside Benin? Yorubas can point to Benin Republic, Togo and even Ghana, down to Brazil Cuba and the Carribeans.

Am sure those outside were those slaves who gain their freedom in the cause of time , eg Bishop Ajayi crowther ,if not of his faith maybe settle in one those islands too but he choose to come back to share his faith with his people .
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by APCcrimes: 12:08pm On Feb 12, 2016
Gamesmart:

That is just laughable rubbish.

Even many of the Aniomas (who are closer to Igboland) refuse to be seen as family with Igbos, it is the Binis that will see them as family?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You stay in Benin?
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by naijaboiy: 12:08pm On Feb 12, 2016
oodua1stson:

Benin people have Yoruba names?

Wow!

What other fascinating lie can you churn out mister? undecided
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by oloyede252(m): 12:09pm On Feb 12, 2016
AreaFada2:
I guess books written by Yoruba writers. grin cheesy. Well, we leave the artworks to others to judge. Having seen the interest they attract in Berlin, Paris, London's British Museum, Amsterdam and a few other Museums I have personally witnessed, they speak for themselves. Benin just don't want to be drawn into Yoruba affair, be it supremacy war or whatever. Hence they first left the colonial entrapment of Western Region. It is that numerical advantage in politics of Old Western region that left the supremacy hangover of SW that we see now. Well, history major or not, the rote learning and cramming in 9ja schools inspire no confidence in me. grin cheesy
fine artworks will always attention anywhere.benin has a link with odudwa who is linkd with yorubas.so we cant denial that fact.the new ooni already said he doesnt want to engage in supremacy battle so what is the issue.lol @rote learning.
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by AreaFada2: 12:09pm On Feb 12, 2016
Super1Star:

The father of Oduduwa (Odu to da Iwa) is Lamurudu. He is not your lost son that followed a beautiful mermaid to under the water.

Your ancestors saw a peaceful and thriving nation an they sent a SOS message for us to help your chaotic and tumultuous empire. We sent Oranmiyan, which gave birth to Eweka the father of the current ruling dynasty in Benin.

Well, sorry. Unlike those who believe in mythical coming from Arabia, whether dad was Lamidi or Labaran; in Benin, people believe more practical stuff. 70 miles journey Benin through bush or tarred road to Owo & another 70 miles to Ife is quite reasonable. About coming from Arabia with broom abi magic parachute, well, sounds ridiculous in an enlightened age. grin grin grin

Even in modern times, with aeroplane and ship, I can't remember Saudi Arabia govt using Osun Defender advert to look for missing Saudis in Ife. grin cheesy

A missing Benin guy turning up in Ife won't be out of the ordinary. grin cheesy
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 12:12pm On Feb 12, 2016
bllaster:

SHUT UP.
If you claim lamurudu is from mecca then why dont yoruba have same culture with saudi arabia.
Are you saying its ok for the king of saudi to wake up one day and claim all yoruba throne?
Just let this matter lie. Even the bible and quran speak of same history in slightly different way.

Malians brought it and not fulanis. Read up on Timbuktu.

Lamurudu lived in the time of paganism in Saudi.
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by oloyede252(m): 12:15pm On Feb 12, 2016
naijaboiy:

Wow!

are you benin
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by bllaster: 12:20pm On Feb 12, 2016
Super1Star:

Malians brought it and not fulanis. Read up on Timbuktu.

Lamurudu lived in the time of paganism in Saudi.

Interestng, so that means saudi king can claim all yoruba kingdom. Ooni must hear this.
How sure are you lamurudu kinsmen didnt have any idol they worshipped. Im sure if you check mecca history you will definitely find out that they idolised one thing or the other and they also had their own culture.
So how come they didnt bring it to yoruba land?
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Jesusloveyou: 12:22pm On Feb 12, 2016
oodua1stson:

we don't do slavery things, we don't force people our language, meanwhile all dis happen before our prince oduduwa colonise yorubaland

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by oodua1stson: 12:27pm On Feb 12, 2016
naijaboiy:

Because he threw the first punch.

Are you that blind to notice? undecided
if the punch he threw hit you then you're indeed an ipob kid and your lord and saviour nnamdi kanu will die in jail

You can go cry on the grave of your failure hero ojukwu
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by oodua1stson: 12:28pm On Feb 12, 2016
naijaboiy:

Wow!

let real Bini people dispute my lies......

You're an ipob kid, you'll never understand

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by oodua1stson: 12:31pm On Feb 12, 2016
bllaster:

SHUT UP.
we are talking about and you're here vomiting oranges.

There's no need to let this matter lie, just answer the simple few questions I asked. Is it that difficult to be honest for once?

As per islam, are there no ibo and Bini muslims? Get your head out of your @rse
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by oodua1stson: 12:33pm On Feb 12, 2016
Jesusloveyou:
we don't do slavery things, we don't force people our language, meanwhile all dis happen before our prince oduduwa colonise yorubaland
sorry bro, you're one civilised person (seeing as you haven't thrown insults at me since). But I have to say your defense is weak in this little argument

Can you just give answers to the questions I asked? I get it, Oduduwa is your son but answer my questions

Thanks grin grin grin
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 12:34pm On Feb 12, 2016
bllaster:

Interestng, so that means saudi king can claim all yoruba kingdom. Ooni must hear this.
How sure are you lamurudu kinsmen didnt have any idol they worshipped. Im sure if you check mecca history you will definitely find out that they idolised one thing or the other and they also had their own culture.
So how come they didnt bring it to yoruba land?

He met a thriving culture on ground.
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by bokohalal(m): 12:39pm On Feb 12, 2016
oodua1stson:

Your logic is warped.
Rome conquered Greece but Greek culture conquered Rome
Germanic tribes conquered Rome but Roman culture prevailed.
Even Christianity is an offshoot of a conquered Jewish people
In Nigeria, Fulani conquered Hausa states and in turn was culturally overcome by the vanquished .

Ife never had an army. There is no military title holder in Ife traditional government .
Benin has been influenced by all her neighbours and Yoruba is just one of them .
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by bllaster: 12:40pm On Feb 12, 2016
Super1Star:

He met a thriving culture on ground.

And you think oranmiyan didnt meet a thriving culture in bini kingdom? smh

Thats not an excuse. Christianity came to Africa even if we had thriving cultures. So your point is invalid.
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Jesusloveyou: 12:41pm On Feb 12, 2016
Super1Star:

why we a kingdom sort for yoruba to sent them a king, if oduduwa did't know he was from benin, he was fully aware of injustice done to him and he knows d throne truly belong to him, that was d reason they was no peace, in order to sort for d right man to d throne, oduduwa sent his son to take his place for peace to reign

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by oodua1stson: 12:45pm On Feb 12, 2016
bokohalal:

Your logic is warped.
Rome conquered Greece but Greek culture conquered Rome
Germanic tribes conquered Rome but Roman culture prevailed.
Even Christianity is an offshoot of a conquered Jewish people
In Nigeria, Fulani conquered Hausa states and in turn was culturally overcome by the vanquished .

Ife never had an army. There is no military title holder in Ife traditional government .
Benin has been influenced by all her neighbours and Yoruba is just one of them .
ok ok . I get it now

You mean Yoruba culturally conquered the Bini grin grin grin

Ok now, why is the great Bini limited to just one city and are not even a major tribe in Nigeria?

Meanwhile Yoruba is a major tribe in Nigeria and 2 other countries
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 12:47pm On Feb 12, 2016
bllaster:

And you think oranmiyan didnt meet a thriving culture in bini kingdom? smh

Thats not an excuse. Christianity came to Africa even if we had thriving cultures. So your point is invalid.

Get it right.

Oranmiyan met with thriving culture in Benin too. That is why Benin People are not yorubas.

You can also not deny the fact that Oranmiyan son became the 1st Oba am he renamed Igodomigodo or Ado or Oredo to the present name. If he was able to rename the town despite the thriving culture of the people, then he would have infused some.part of his culture into yours.
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by bllaster: 12:50pm On Feb 12, 2016
oodua1stson:
we are talking about and you're here vomiting oranges.

There's no need to let this matter lie, just answer the simple few questions I asked. Is it that difficult to be honest for once?

As per islam, are there no ibo and Bini muslims? Get your head out of your @rse

You are a dumb fellow. I said that because of your logic that benin share yoruba culture because yoruba conquered them and not the other way around.
Then i asked you since the fulani or malian conquered yoruba why dont you bear fulani or malian native names. Why dont you worship thier idols.
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Jesusloveyou: 12:53pm On Feb 12, 2016
naijaboiy:

Wow!

i don't know of any yoruba name, except ade" which is a short form of adesuwa, they don't know any other lies again, they use picture to deceive themselve, now they want to use names

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by bllaster: 12:54pm On Feb 12, 2016
Super1Star:

Get it right.

Oranmiyan met with thriving culture in Benin too. That is why Benin People are not yorubas.

You can also not deny the fact that Oranmiyan son became the 1st Oba am he renamed Igodomigodo or Ado or Oredo to the present name. If he was able to rename the town despite the thriving culture of the people, then he would have infused some.part of his culture into yours.

This is baseless. First you people said its ile ibinu, now you are saying ado or oredo. Must you lie to prove your point.

Incase you dont know im not from benin neither am i yoruba.
But judgung from a neutral point of view the benin version sounds credible.

Which ever way you look at it yoruba is at a loss here.
Its either you accept that oduduwa was the banished benin prince or oduduwa came from mecca which means saudi arabia is ruling you people or oduduwa came from the sky which is a myth and sounds foolish.
CHOOSE
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by oodua1stson: 12:57pm On Feb 12, 2016
bllaster:

You are a dumb fellow. I said that because of your logic that benin share yoruba culture because yoruba conquered them and not the other way around.
Then i asked you since the fulani or malian conquered you hybdont you bear fulani or malian native names. Why dont you worship thier idols.
lol unintelligent people are quick to throw insults

When and where did I tell you Yoruba conquered Bini? Who cares about that? I definitely don't.

I only asked questions which u have so far failed to answer.

And when and where did you see a Yoruba with a fulani name? grin grin calm down, man. You're losing your mind
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by bokohalal(m): 12:57pm On Feb 12, 2016
oodua1stson:
ok ok . I get it now

You mean Yoruba culturally conquered the Bini grin grin grin

Ok now, why is the great Bini limited to just one city and are not even a major tribe in Nigeria?

Meanwhile Yoruba is a major tribe in Nigeria and 2 other countries
I do not understand how your question is relevant to the discussion. Size is not a criteria. Isreal is in the midst of hostile Arab nations who are culturally and economically more powerful but we know who has the military spunk.
The Mongols conquered China!

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 1:00pm On Feb 12, 2016
bllaster:

This is baseless. First you people said its ile ibinu, now you are saying ado or oredo. Must you lie to prove your point.

Incase you dont know im not from benin neither am i yoruba.
But judgung from a neutral point of view the benin version sound credible.

Calm your hot nerves down.

Those were various names Benin people were calling their town before Oranmiyan named it Ile -Ibinu.

It can sound credible to you but a fallacy to us. We have asked questions we want them to deny a which they cannot.

They kept on hammering on their lost prince called Izoduwa and we said their prince never wandered into our territory and maybe he followed a mermaid to under the water.

Can they deny SOS was sent to Ife?

Can they deny that Oranmiyan was sent to Igodomigodo?

Can they deny that Oranmiyan impregnated their princess and the union produced Eweka?

Can they deny that Eweka went ahead to be the King and his dynasty is still standing till today?

Those are undeniable facts.

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by bllaster: 1:02pm On Feb 12, 2016
oodua1stson:
lol unintelligent people are quick to throw insults

When and where did I tell you Yoruba conquered Bini? Who cares about that? I definitely don't.

I only asked questions which u have so far failed to answer.

And when and where did you see a Yoruba with a fulani name? grin grin calm down, man. You're losing your mind

This was you comment;

oodua1stson:

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) / Some Legendary Nigerian Pictures And Quotes / The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.