Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,908 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:11 PM

Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 (56678 Views)

Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 / Hierarchy Of Yoruba Obas As Of 1920 / Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by APCcrimes: 8:00am On Feb 12, 2016
fanedrive:
no-one is claiming the subjects of Benin as yoruboid, but the bloodline of your Oba is....I'm sure it's a bitter pill for you to swallow . #gbafolorun

Who owns Lagos??
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Jesusloveyou: 8:03am On Feb 12, 2016
AKYEMITE:
It is a shame that benin people can deny their relationship with yoruba. I am very sure their ancestor will not be happy with this. It is undisputable fact that they have their root in yoruba land. And ooni is father of all
d picture stil does not make sense, anybody can stay in d middle as d host, that does not make Ooni aderemi to be greater than oba akenzua, that also mean oba of benin was d greatest in d time of oba ovoramwen when he stood grand with d white

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by ALISMILE(m): 8:12am On Feb 12, 2016
danot1030:
Those Benin indigenes that have been fed with fake history by their parents and those useless IPOB Biafra youth who always think the Yoruba nation is in rivalry of prominence with their tribe and would therefore support anything that is against Yoruba should come and learn from this historic picture and stop arguements.
Must u pple claim superiority over oda pple? I stand by d Binis that the 1st yoruba king was a prince of Binin! If don't like it like that u can go hug a transformer! That's the reason ibos hate u guys like shit!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by oloyede252(m): 8:13am On Feb 12, 2016
AreaFada2:

The problem here is you guys think you have monopoly over truth. With a closed mind & air of unfounded superiority, you go about spewing stuff that only originated at University of Ibadan & OAU, with no historical detail/truth behind it.

Lately, people think that numerical strength is equal to historical supremacy. That's only in politics & propaganda, not history.

See, Benin was pretty centralised from around 40BC.

Nothing like various Yoruba clans fighting incessant civil wars, one trying to outdo the next.

Therefore Benin, could settle down with Empire building from about 1440 AD. Not just a Kingdom that it was for about 1480 years prior.

Therefore, to the Benins (not Bini as often misspelled), have a consistent history. Sang in folks songs every day, told by traditional poets & praise singers daily. Immortalised in artworks. Still in museums worldwide today. Consistently.

is it only the benins that have artworks in museums.the problem with you is that you think we have monopoly over historical analysis.am an history major student so what i posted abt the history of benin is backed up with historical books..as we all know history is subjectd to distortion and misinterpretation.so any statement is subjectd to futher arguments.
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 8:13am On Feb 12, 2016
APCcrimes:

Who owns Lagos??

The throne of Oba of Benin owns Eko Island of part of Lagos and that means we own it, because we are the owners of the crown.

2ndly, Ogunfunminire was the founder of Lagos. Aworis are descendants of Ogunfunminire and even the Binis met the Aworis on that Island.

We know our history and our heritage.

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by oloyede252(m): 8:17am On Feb 12, 2016
ALISMILE:
Must u pple claim superiority over oda pple? I stand by d Binis that the 1st yoruba king was a prince of Binin! If don't like it like that u can go hug a transformer! That's the reason ibos hate u guys like shit!
u people eh.even if he was right u wont stil accept that because of your inborn dislike for yorubas
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by APCcrimes: 8:17am On Feb 12, 2016
Super1Star:

The throne of Oba of Benin owns Eko Island of part of Lagos and that means we own it, because we are the owners of the crown.

2ndly, Ogunfunminire was the founder of Lagos. Aworis are descendants of Ogunfunminire and even the Binis met the Aworis on that Island.

We know our history and our heritage.

You own the oba of Benin or the oba of Benin owns your ooni??
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by naijaboiy: 8:18am On Feb 12, 2016
bayulll01:
These iPob kids here are the most useless and pathetic people on earth,u guys should continue with your protest and leave we and the Benin alone,am still waiting for any sane person to say that pic is Photoshop,Awon werey ipob always putting Yoruba matter for head.those Benin are just bunch of silly people,I serve close to that area and have friends there most of them practice all our traditions.even all our name dem dey drag am with us

You and your dirty ancestors are the bunch of silly humans in dog form.

Nonsense! undecided
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by NOETHNICITY(m): 8:19am On Feb 12, 2016
APCcrimes:
LOLzzzzzz

I never knew yorubas like binis like this o..

hehehehe..See wailers at the top trying to grab binis to their side...

FYI, my mum is Benin and she does not in any way look like Yoruba...Even in Benin, the Yorubas are like aliens.. The igbos are seen more like family than the yorubas... My cousins, uncles, aunt from my mum's side don't have any atom or trace of yorubish...

The Binis are Binis. Yorubas should mind their lane!
Am really beginning to dislike this yoruba tin! Anywhere they go they stir controversy by claim superiority! They shud be reminded that the throne of d Oba of Benin is like nothing u ve in Yoruba land! The Benin oba is like a little god when compared to those yorubaa butt licking shiiiiits!
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by iroc4eva: 8:21am On Feb 12, 2016
danot1030:
Those Benin indigenes that have been fed with fake history by their parents and those useless IPOB Biafra youth who always think the Yoruba nation is in rivalry of prominence with their tribe and would therefore support anything that is against Yoruba should come and learn from this historic picture and stop arguements.
what has the great IPOB youth got to do with the issue at hand? the Benin oba was trying to correct the lies that your stupid ancestors fed you and you re there shouting ipob , y not face the tribe you have issues with? an Hausa man slaps you, you shout IPOB, a Benin man beats you , you shout IPOB, even when a calabar man insults a Yoruba man he turns around n shouts "na Igbo man causam " buh you knw wat; while you Yoruba cowards/betrayals are buzy hating us, God is busy making us, n wonder 3/4 of Lagos n other yoruba land now belong to your archenemy the Igbos , oba is a Benin title but you a lineage of fake n evil spirit that fell from coconut tree with broken head n spilt brain borrowed the oba title and now want to claim seniority, don't worry jst as the hausas conquered kwara n instituted Islam and emir , so you supposed enemy the Igbo's will drive you rejected souls away to Benin republic n suburb n institute our Eze n Igwe in Lagos n other Yoruba land...
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by oodua1stson: 8:22am On Feb 12, 2016
Rayhut:
Yorubas are conquered by Oba of Bini son Oduduwa, The Binin prince Oduduwa which is the son of Oba of Benin conquered yourubas and yourubas refer to him as god which fall down from haven with cock and palm fruits. Yorubas are slaves to Binin kingdom, the name Oba is a Bini name and word and Eko is a Bini word, The Binis also conquered Aworis and Eguns in Lagos and gave it the name Eko before yorubas started migrating to Lagos. Prince Eze Chima of Onitcha kingdom is one of the biggest allies of Binin Kingdom,he help Binis in their conquest.
ok. So why is the enslaved Yorubaland vast and the successful Benin so tiny. So small nobody considered you a major tribe in Nigeria
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 8:23am On Feb 12, 2016
APCcrimes:

You own the oba of Benin or the oba of Benin own your ooni??

Lol.

Can your Oba come out openly and declare that he is not from the House of Oduduwa?

Ooni has made a categorical statement.

We are daring your Oba.

We own Benin's title, throne , Crown. Deal with it.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Nobody: 8:23am On Feb 12, 2016
danot1030:
I can't still understand why u dragged IPOB into this. Can't u people do without draging the name of any igbo sect into anything u do? That's the problem with nigerian, if the northerns have any form of issues with the west they take it out on the igbo's, yoruba have an issue with benin now this fool is calling IPOB gosh wetin consn IPOB for this mata?

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by AreaFada2: 8:24am On Feb 12, 2016
oloyede252:
is it only the benins that have artworks in museums.the problem with you is that you think we have monopoly over historical analysis.am an history major student so what i posted abt the history of benin is backed up with historical books..as we all know history is subjectd to distortion and misinterpretation.so any statement is subjectd to futher arguments.
I guess books written by Yoruba writers. grin cheesy. Well, we leave the artworks to others to judge. Having seen the interest they attract in Berlin, Paris, London's British Museum, Amsterdam and a few other Museums I have personally witnessed, they speak for themselves. Benin just don't want to be drawn into Yoruba affair, be it supremacy war or whatever. Hence they first left the colonial entrapment of Western Region. It is that numerical advantage in politics of Old Western region that left the supremacy hangover of SW that we see now.
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by AreaFada2: 8:26am On Feb 12, 2016
oloyede252:
I guess books written by Yoruba writers. grin cheesy. Well, we leave the artworks to others to judge. Having seen the interest they attract in Berlin, Paris, London's British Museum, Amsterdam and a few other Museums I have personally witnessed, they speak for themselves. Benin just don't want to be drawn into Yoruba affair, be it supremacy war or whatever. Hence they first left the colonial entrapment of Western Region. It is that numerical advantage in politics of Old Western region that left the supremacy hangover of SW that we see now. Well, history major or not, the rote learning and cramming in 9ja schools inspire no confidence in me. grin cheesy
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by APCcrimes: 8:26am On Feb 12, 2016
Super1Star:

Lol.

Can your Oba come out openly and declare that he is not from the House of Oduduwa?

Ooni has made a categorical statement.

We are daring your Oba.

We own Benin title, throne , Crown. Deal wi it.

grin grin Yorubas, if you want the crown, come and take it.. grin

Meanwhile, we own Lagos and not a single inch would be left out once true federalism starts!

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Jesusloveyou: 8:27am On Feb 12, 2016
dckng16:
Benin came out of Yoruba land. Oduduwa son oranmiyan was d one dat found Benin Kingdom according to reliable source of history.
dis same reliable source of history u are quoting from also said oduduwa is a benin prince, u believe some part and reject d other part of d same reliable source of history, is that commonsense?

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 8:31am On Feb 12, 2016
APCcrimes:

grin grin Yorubas, if you want the crown, come and take it.. grin

Meanwhile, we own Lagos and not a single inch would be left out once true federalism starts!

cheesy cheesy grin cheesy

We do not take or grab what is already ours.

In true federalism, we shall claim everything that belong to the throne of Benin, including YOU.

Truth is bitter but it must be told. The title, Crown and throne of Benin is of the House of Oduduwa. Let you Oba come out and deny it.

I am sure he knows the repercussion on him and his lineage.
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Torenzi: 8:35am On Feb 12, 2016
AKYEMITE:
It is a shame that benin people can deny their relationship with yoruba. I am very sure their ancestor will not be happy with this. It is undisputable fact that they have their root in yoruba land. And ooni is father of all

U are always on point
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by egbose(m): 8:43am On Feb 12, 2016
where is the face of Oba Akezua in this picture .( Propagandize)
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by AreaFada2: 8:46am On Feb 12, 2016
Jesusloveyou:
dis same reliable source of history u are quoting from also said oduduwa is a benin prince, u believe some part and reject d other part of d same reliable source of history, is that commonsense?
grin cheesy
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by APCcrimes: 8:46am On Feb 12, 2016
Super1Star:

cheesy cheesy grin cheesy

We do not take or grab what is already ours.

In true federalism, we shall claim everything that belong to the throne of Benin, including YOU.

Truth is bitter but it must be told. The title, Crown and throne of Benin is of the House of Oduduwa. Let you Oba come out and deny it.

I am sure he knows the repercussion on him and his lineage.

haaaaaa...you must be a comedian...

Yorubas are well known slaves to the Benins... We won't spare a single inch of Lagos... Not a single inch! From Ibeju-lekki to Badagry we will reclaim. Eko is rightfully ours. That Oba Akinolu will be thrown into the lagoon he so much loves.

But on a more serious note, the yorubas are the off shooting of the Binis and when the time is right, we will reclaim our properties... But for now, enjoy while it lasts.
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 8:49am On Feb 12, 2016
APCcrimes:

haaaaaa...you must be a comedian...

Yorubas are well known slaves to the Benins... We won't spare a single inch of Lagos... Not a single inch! From Ibeju-lekki to Badagry we will reclaim. Eko is rightfully ours. That Oba Akinolu will be thrown into the lagoon he so much loves.

But on a more serious note, the yorubas are the off shooting of the Binis and when the time is right, we will reclaim our properties... But for now, enjoy while it lasts.

You have vital questions you have not been able to answer and you are here talking of being an off-shoot!!!!

Answer those vital questions and we shall know who is t owner of the Benin Crown, Title and Throne.

For your information, we do not know any Izoduwa, maybe your lost son followed by mermaid to the lost city of Atlantis.

Can your palace deny that they sent SOS message to Ile-Ife?

Can your palace dent that Oranmiyan was was to bring peace to the tumultuous kingdom?

Can your palace deny that Oranmiyan impregnated your princess that gav back to Eweka?

Can that drunk Chief deny that Oranmiyan change change name of Igodomigodo to Ile-Ibinu, that ended up being Bini.

Can he also dispute that the 1st Oba was Eweka after the demise of the Ogiso dynasty?

Can your palace deny that th present Oba is not from Eweka Dynasty?

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by oodua1stson: 8:52am On Feb 12, 2016
And seriously who gives about one King or the other?

What I am 100% certain about is that whenever Yoruba is being mentioned Bini and it's people will take a backseat.

How many states does the mighty Bini command? How many state does the little Yoruba command? I think this people are just acting stupid for no reason

And you know thousand of bini people with Yoruba names? maybe millions.

If Yoruba were truly under Bini why didn't Yoruba people have Bini names just like Bini have our names?

And Yoruba is not only a major tribe in Nigeria, Yoruba is a major tribe in about 3 countries.

Is Bini a major tribe even in Nigeria?

You people need to get a grip and piss off

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Jesusloveyou: 8:52am On Feb 12, 2016
oodua1stson:
ok. So why is the enslaved Yorubaland vast and the successful Benin so tiny. So small nobody considered you a major tribe in Nigeria
it was d britain that reduce benin empire to be limited to edo people, they don't want benin empire to be greater than their kingdom, answer dis little question, with nigeria population is it greater than UK, or wil nigeria claim superity over UK because of his population and landmass? NO

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by oodua1stson: 8:54am On Feb 12, 2016
Jesusloveyou:
it was d britain that reduce benin empire to be limited to edo people, that don't want benin empire to be greater than their kingdom, answer dis little question, with nigeria population is it greater than UK, or wil nigeria claim superity over UK because of his population and landmass? NO
ok. Why is the small Yoruba a major tribe in about 3 countries and Bini not a major tribe in Nigeria?

And leave the brits out of this. They undermined every tribe in Nigeria then including the north's who wanted them to stay

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by pankere(m): 8:54am On Feb 12, 2016
[b]Benin tradition continues by pointing out that it was during the reign of the fourth Oba of Benin of the present dynasty, Oba Oguola, the starting date of which has been put at A.D. 1400, that the Oba requested a bronze-smith to be sent from Ife-Ife, his ancestral home, to teach the craft in Benin. Iguehae (a rather strange name for an Ife man) was sent for the purpose, and there are shrines in Benin City today where he is worshipped.
This tradition, together with another which says that the heads of the deceased Obas of Benin were usually returned to Ife far burial at the site of Orun Oba Ado and that, in return, bronze memorial heads of the deceased Obas were sent to Benin to be kept there has given rise to speculation that Benin court art was derived from Ife. It is said further that this practice of sending bronze memorial heads to Benin was stopped by Oguola after the arrival of Iguehae.
The exponents of this view have compared the naturalism of Ife works with the naturalism of those Benin works regarded as the earliest specimens, when Ife influence was still very strong in Benin. Furthermore, certain sculptures in Benin style have been found in Ife-Ife and vice-versa. For example, the figure in plate 97, which is obviously of Ife style, was found in Benin.
The present Benin people believe that the art of Ife was derived from Benin and that Iguehae, which sounds more like an Edo name, introduced the art there. They even claim that Oduduwa, regarded by the Yoruba as the ancestor of all Yoruba kings, actually originated from Benin.
There is yet a third school of thought which points out that there is no tradition of bronze-casting in Ife today, that the present day Ife is not very old, and that the antiquities of Ife lack institutional background. Accordingly, Ife art is said to have derived from the old Beny Confederacy in the present Nupe country, from where Benin court art is also believed to have originated.
The writer is of the opinion that we do not yet know enough about the two art centers to enable us to draw final conclusions. It is observed, for example, that those heads which are regarded as the earliest Benin pieces are very much less naturalistic than the Ife classical pieces. Secondly, Denis Williams has noted differences in the casting processes of Ife and Benin bronzes. Thirdly, the interchange of objects between the two art centers does not necessarily imply derivation. There are Benin bronzes in the possession of the Atah (king) of Idah and in a small north-west Edo village in the Midwest State, a ram pendant mask was found in Apapa, Lagos, and a pendant mask is now owned by the Eze Nri (priest-king) at Oreri, near Igbo Ukwu. These places have no tradition of bronze-casting, except Igbo Ukwu where the style is very different. Therefore, the interchange of works between Ife and Benin may only reflect contact and may not necessarily mean that one was derived from the other.
There are further differences between the arts of Ife and Benin. Arnold Rubin has observed the absence of inlaid iran pupils in Ife works, whereas they are present in those of Benin. He has also remarked that the range of objects in the Benin art corpus - plaques, bells, altar, groups, aquamanile, and sa on - are absent in Ife. Furthermore, the small holes on Ife heads, supposedly used far the attachment of hair, moustache and beard, are absent from Benin bronze heads.
Finally, the writer believes that, although both traditions used the same technical process to produce their art, and probably had the same raison d'être for making the sculptures, viz: the glorification of their kings and gods and the immortalisation of the dead royal ancestors, the similarities do not go far beyond these. It appears that the concepts of sculpture in the two centers were different. Ife style is distinguished by individual portraiture, Benin art by its conventionalist. It also appears that Ife heads were made with portraits of persons in mind, however idealized, while those of Benin were made from imagination. Furthermore, some Benin works seem to be impressive representations of spirits (only one such example is yet known from Ife) and have no individual character as human beings. Finally, there is evidence of evolution in the Benin bronzes, but not in the Ife corpus. The one thing, however, which may link Ife and Benin, is that the Benin people, probably, learned the technique of cire perdue casting from Ife, but they did not adopt Ife's concept of art[/b]
Why are Benin kings buried in Ile ife
Why are Benin bronze heads and images of Benin kings found in in Ile ife

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by APCcrimes: 8:55am On Feb 12, 2016
Super1Star:

You have vital questions you have not been able to answer and you are here talking of being an off-shoot!!!!

Answer those vital questions and we shall know who is t owner of the Benin Crown, Title and Throne.

Did Oduduwa fall from the sky??
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 9:00am On Feb 12, 2016
APCcrimes:

Did Oduduwa fall from the sky??

No, he did not.

His father is Lamurudu.

Obatala Obatosa, Orunmila baba Ifa are the divinities that came them from heaven.

Get your facts right and stop distorting history.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by oodua1stson: 9:01am On Feb 12, 2016
naijaboiy:

You and your dirty ancestors are the bunch of silly humans in dog form.

Nonsense! undecided
are you an ipob kid? Because I can't see your name in his comment
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Faraidi(m): 9:01am On Feb 12, 2016
danot1030:
You must be a fool.The picture diden't prove the the Oni is superior,mind you, the Oni was in his palace so it is normal for him to be in the middle.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) / Some Legendary Nigerian Pictures And Quotes / The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.