Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? (2490 Views)

What A Banker Did To Me Recently / CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms / Banker Sleeps On Keyboard, Accidentally Transfers Millions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by bomb1(m): 5:37pm On Jul 05, 2009
We've all been there before.

Double charges
Inflated charges
Ficticious charges

What do you really do when you receive these 'strange' charges?

For me, I promptly complain and let them know I know my rights and what the regulations say.

Remember,their slogan is always:
'vow to serve'

But do they?

[color=#006600][/color]
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jul 06, 2009
writing a letter to the brance manager,head of operations and even zonal director can help on some occations cos banks this days have become a place one has to tread with caution and open eye.some banks even debit ur account with ACCOUNT MAINTENANCE CHARGE ,COT,OFF LIMIT CHARGE MONTHLY AND OTHER FUNNY CHARGES.on some ocassion,the COT is not #5 per 1000.yet they find it very difficult to pay interest on ur cash balance at month ends.
any body that has had a different solution to this problem should share it because i had to raise my voice in one of the banks to get the head of operations attention over 5000 naira excess charge
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by ifyalways(f): 5:44pm On Jul 06, 2009
Never been there b4.Like aguiyi said,write with proofs to the bank brach manager or head of operations shld do.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by benzion72(m): 7:05pm On Jul 06, 2009
go to court
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by ifyalways(f): 7:42pm On Jul 06, 2009
^^ Thats good But i think it shld be the last resort.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by Redman44(m): 8:05pm On Jul 06, 2009
`
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by Redman44(m): 8:14pm On Jul 06, 2009
Nothing will move Nigerian Banks from charging you ridiculously except there is a mass campaign against them. Writing letters to the bank chiefs and managers will not solve the problem. There must be a sustained campaign in the media and that is what some of us are working on. Check out the blog:

www.nomoredishonestcharges..com

The blog was started last week Friday by some Nairalanders and we are gradually gaining momentum. Join the crusade and lets achieve the desired victory that will surely come. The blog belongs to all of us. We are working on some articles and perfecting our strategies. Lets have your ideas and you can also start doing something on your own.

Email The Movement of Nigerian Bank Customers at: naijabanks@googlemail.com

We will give you the password to log into the blog and add your comments or post articles and pictures. Only a well planned public and media campaign will stop the greed of Nigerian banks who are steadily making sure that we do not have control over our bank accounts. Cheers.

The Boy called Red.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by hackney(m): 8:21pm On Jul 06, 2009
This is good. let's increase the momentum on this movement against these banks.

I just let them know about their fraudulent practices ; imagine paying for account statements and being charged for ATM maintenance.

One day in that country , The masses' comments will count.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by oge4real(f): 8:23pm On Jul 06, 2009
cry! kiss kiss kiss
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by Redman44(m): 8:45pm On Jul 06, 2009
@Hackney

Thanks for your interest in the campaign. The unjust charges being collected by Nigerian Banks is affecting all of us, even those in the diaspora. We need more comments and articles on the blog. Post your sad experiences with Nigerian Banks on the blog and let the World read it. We have been working hard on this campaign, though I have to stay awake late into the night after coming back from work. We have a member in a top media house in Nigeria who is working hard behind the scenes to get us quality pictures for the blog, and also information and the contact details of the new CBN Governor who we intend to write to directly also. We are also collating information online about Nigerian Banks and the number of Media Houses we have in Nigeria. We'll keep you updated on the blog. Thanks for your support. We shall not fail. Amen.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by hackney(m): 8:46pm On Jul 06, 2009
Thanks Red. Let the revolution begin.

Looks like oge works in a bank.
Well , customers are not charged for ATM maintenance at BARCLAYS so im not affected but it's unfair that those banking with you (onye akpiri ego)are being conned of hard earned cash.

You must be a UBA staff; very cheeky people.
My little sister works at UBA and each time this issue comes up,i ask her why they do these charges; no answer.
My best friend is one of their branch managers and all they do is come up with ways of charging customers.
Instead of getting off their lazy behinds and making expert investments like banks in other places.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by oge4real(f): 9:44pm On Jul 06, 2009
@ Hackney,
i am not a banker o, I am just at a loss for what to do wt these banks. Even if I am a banker, certainly not UBA!!!
Haba!
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by bomb1(m): 4:00am On Jul 07, 2009
Redman44,

Great initiative,I like the spirit!.We need to enlighten ourselves more and get this and several other related issues addressed to get the service we truly deserve from the banks.

Ifyalways,

Experience has shown severally that simply writing to the manager and head of operations doesn't necessarily get the problem solved.What we really need is the will of the management to recede on this ludicrous strategy of milking the unsuspecting public.The branch manager can really do nothing if those charges are 'approved' by management.

Benzion,

Going to court doesn't always necessarily solve the problem.We however need to know our rights and get justice when it is impinged upon.But when the bank knows that you know your rights,your issues are promptly resolved and the relationship blossoms from then on.

On our part,we've come up with a private initiative to bridge the communication gap which hitherto exists between customers and these banks.We tabled this issue with some of the banks and other service organizations and the support gained so far is encouraging.Without us,these banks would not exist and so they can no longer take us for granted.

This revolutionary initiative would commence in August and fellow Nairalanders are encouraged to latch in on this 'service' and 'consumer rights' initiative which would change the landscape and tilt the power of influence back to the consumer.So truly concerned customers and service analysts should be ready to table their burning or thorny issues for resolution by the banks,and resolved they would be.

We are ready to lose sleep until this is realised and would keep you posted on updates!
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by Nezan(m): 9:40am On Jul 07, 2009
EFCC should start looking into the activities of these banks angry
I am thinking of buying safes to store my money grin
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by defatigue(m): 2:13pm On Jul 07, 2009
Enough talks!!!
Why did we have to create a new thread for this same topic.
The revolution has already begun.
http://nomoredishonestcharges..com

Aluta Continua Victoria Ascerta
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by schmuck(m): 2:54pm On Jul 07, 2009
Nowadays, there's so much competition in banks that all of them are scrambling to please there customers.
Most times it will only require a phone call and a supportive Customer Service Officer to rectify such issues.

Thank you.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by Nelami(m): 5:59pm On Jul 07, 2009
Vow to serve we agree but do they really serve the way they are suppose to no matter how much more you complain they will continue what they are doing.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by sunnykiss(m): 6:58pm On Jul 07, 2009
alert charges uba Bleep dem jor
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by sley4life(m): 1:51am On Jul 08, 2009
sms alert. UBA charge as much as N10-N12 for one alert when zain & glo offers free sms while mtn charge N6
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by funkesade(f): 5:52pm On Jul 08, 2009
all i need to do is to go into the bank and ask the reason behind the actions.there is always accountability in bank and there is always record for every transactions. smiley smiley
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by Fhemmmy: 8:17pm On Jul 08, 2009
Simply point out the mistake and make sure it is fixed.
What will i gain by making wahala?
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by ifyalways(f): 8:38pm On Jul 08, 2009
. . .and why is everyone sounding like UBA is horrible?it used to be my fav bank way back or have things changed
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by unclekala: 10:23pm On Jul 08, 2009
This is my very area of specialty.I do what we call recovery of excess/unfair bank charges.I do this on behalf of companies and also individuals.You can only argue on those charges you know about.There are so many hidden charges.you can reach me at folutope@yahoo.com,07061285156
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by kdanc(m): 6:55pm On Jul 09, 2009
uba is no 1
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by Fhemmmy: 7:37pm On Jul 09, 2009
What makes them no 1?
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by royalicon(m): 8:32am On Jul 10, 2009
Most horrible bank av bank with is UBA, They are master in charges either right or wrong. This make me stop banking with them for over 15months now. Guess what, I still receive alerts on my phone for some stupid charges i can't explain.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by jonene: 3:00pm On Jul 10, 2009
royalicon:

Most horrible bank av bank with is UBA, They are master in charges either right or wrong. This make me stop banking with them for over 15months now. Guess what, I still receive alerts on my phone for some stupid charges i can't explain.

UBA- d meanest, baddest and ugliest, they suck u dry if u allow them. even if u dont operate your acct they will still bill for it-there was a time i traveled out of the country for about 15 months, i came back to meet a 'debt' of 5 thousand in my acct- i promptly 4got abt d account- up till now, they still send weekly and monthly SMS of one charge or d other and their phantom debt now is abt 20k, terrible bank!
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by charlesomo(m): 7:04pm On Jul 12, 2009
royalicon:

For Sure UBA is the main culprit.
Our company's account with UBA gets charged 105.00 plus VAT for each cheque below 20,000.01 issued to suppliers. The nitwit Branch Manager named Dubem says its UBA policy to charge Cash handling charges of 105.00 for withdrawals of 20k and below which customers are expected to draw from the ATM instead of over the counter.
If a company with 2 signatories according to them is not eligible for ATM card, how then do they expect such a company to access funds from the ATM or pay suppliers without incurring these unrealistic charges?
The UBA "Baba" has been petitioned but for sure, you will be asking for too much if you expect the main thief-thief to respond after 6 months.
UBA account has to wait for some time.

ccharlesomo@yahoo.co.uk
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by CGKing(m): 4:28pm On Jul 13, 2009
UBA thinks ppl are uneducated. They come up with all kinds of legally projected bullshit.

1. COT
2. VAT on COT
3. COT ON VAT
4. ATM Maintenance Charge
5. VAT on ATM Maintenance Charge
6. COT on VAT on ATM Maintenance Charge
7. Counter Check Charges
8. , cant even list them

and when they've run out of banking terminologies, they will still deduct 5 bucks for 'nothing dey happen' charges
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by omega8(m): 11:39am On Jul 15, 2009
the policy of soludo it make them thieving and desperate as a thiefs in their operation,but let see the new policy of sanusi and wasiri. 25b no be small thing ooooooooooo.all the nigeria banks are big thief now
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by suxes2005(m): 2:10pm On Jul 15, 2009
Let the bank know what they have committed.

If they refuse to let it go, go to where u opened ur acct and ask for explanations about their deduction

SHALOM
Re: What Do You Do When Your Banker Charges You Wrongly? by Classigal(f): 9:03pm On Jul 15, 2009
CGKing:

UBA thinks ppl are uneducated. They come up with all kinds of legally projected bullshit.

1. COT
2. VAT on COT
3. COT ON VAT
4. ATM Maintenance Charge
5. VAT on ATM Maintenance Charge
6. COT on VAT on ATM Maintenance Charge
7. Counter Check Charges
8. , cant even list them

and when they've run out of banking terminologies, they will still deduct 5 bucks for 'nothing dey happen' charges

ha ha grin ha ha grin LWKMD

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Profitable Is It To Run A Car Hire Business In Lagos? / I Need Business Partner. / Business Partners Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.